Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Camaro Concept

Comments

• boodahboodah Posts: 7
    All I have to say is this car is veeeeeery nice. Tweak a few things here and there, price it right (I saw on tv the VPs saying somewhere around 25-29k for it). I don't car for the front grill but everything else is quite nice.
  • I have to say that the new concept camaro looks like just another new car. Yes, some of you think that Chevy should build something new but I think they should have gone with a true retro look. That is what the guys my age are saying (age 42). We loved the old muscle cars and wanted to see some new technology put into a retro Camaro. The Challenger is by far the coolest thing released this year along with the Shelby Cobra. Too bad GM didn't get on board. The nose of this new Camaro looks like some sort of rice burner. If all the young kids like this car, they need to buy it and support it. I for one will be going after a Challenger. It will be strange to have a Mopar in my driveway sitting next to my 74 Z-28, my sons 81 Z-28 and my daughters 87 Camaro and my wife's 03 Impala LS. Get the picture, I am a devoted GM guy but this new Camaro sucks.
  • kkollwitzkkollwitz Posts: 268
    I drive a 2002 Z28, used to have a Firebird Formula, before that a Mustang LX 5.0, all manuals. I'm probably part of the new Camaro's target market.
    I'm not that concerned about particular looks. For me, the new Camaro should:
    Dump lowbrow image: no goofy graphics or boyracer addons. Camaro must have same middleclass/ uppermiddleclass appeal as Mustang, i.e., affluent women who will buy a Mustang V6 convertible would also consider a similar Camaro.
    Have rwd, manual, big V8.
    Be comparable in cost to equivalent Mustang performance.
    Should handle better than equivalent Mustang. Doesn't have to be faster in 0-60, 1/4 mile, but close.
    Better weight distribution than Mustang.
    Should be more sporting than Mustang even if it makes the car a bit less comfortable.
    If GTO is still around, it's ok for Camaro be be slower, but it must outhandle GTO.
    I'm not sure what Challenger will be, so I have no sense about how Camaro should compare.
    Not sure about any other/future rwd V8 coupes...are there any?
  • jpstax1jpstax1 Posts: 197
    Saw this on the Chevy site. Thought you'd all like it:

http://www.chevrolet.com/performance/

Click on "SEE IT UNVEILED". The intro part is a little annoying, but seeing all the older Camaros, plus the concept car at the end, is well worth it.

Having read all previous posts, I think they should keep the LS2 for the standard Camaro, but offer the LS7 for the SS. Unless Corvette execs want the LS7 for the Z06 only.
  • rorrrorr Posts: 3,630
    "Having read all previous posts, I think they should keep the LS2 for the standard Camaro..."

Why?

Are you saying the Camaro can't compete with the Mustang unless it has a large horsepower advantage? That didn't work with the previous generation F-bods.....
  • The more I see pictures of it the more I like it. I wish someone in Detroit would get there head straight and start being the leader in innovative design. I am so tired of them being 3+ years behind everyone else. I have always been a GM person since I started driving, from my parents and grand parents Oldsmobiles to my Olds., Buick, and Pontiacs. Now being in my very early 40's I want my sports car. Bought a 03 sunfire new and figured I would drive it till my daugther was old enough to drive and it would be hers. Well the time is here. November she turns of age and I will have about 80k miles on that sunfire. I figured I would hold off buying till then. Well if GM snoozes on putting this out there, then I guess my rear end will be in a new Mustang GT. Pretty sad being a loyal GM consumer and they have nothing to compete with the competion because they drag there feet and most of us aren't getting any younger. We will see what the 07's bring when I need a new car. I agree the pricing had better be comparable with the Mustang also when it hits the road. Just think Oldsmobile wouldn't be where it is if they had brought back a sporty 442 or cutlass for that matter. With that all said, I like the new camaro, and I would want the LS2 model anyway.
  • kkollwitzkkollwitz Posts: 268
    Have you considered a GTO? If I didn't have my Camaro, I'd probably be in a GTO myself.
  • I have always been a huge camaro fan. I have owned five of them including a 69 RSZ28 which was my favorite. I think Dodge did a much better job with the callenger than chevy did with the camaro. The wheels are too big, the rear end is huge, and the front end looks nothing like the 69. I do like the sawtooth gauges in the center console like the 69. Another problem is the color they chose for the concept. That space ship silver doesn't look right. Dodge used an old school orange and black stripes. If GM tones this design down a bit and makes it look more like the 69, and puts some serious ponies under the hood, I'll be the first one in line for one. If they leave it the way it is, I just might have to get the Dodge. Being a Chevy fan all my life, I never thought I would hear myself say that.
  • I agree, GM needs to tone down the styling a bit, but this is a great start. It's nice to see rear quarter windows on a Camaro for the first time in 36 years! The Challenger clearly looks better though, to me, even if it is less imaginative.
  • Can't argue with your assessment Johnman, but remember that this car is still way out in the "concept" phase, and by the time it hit's the street, I bet this Camaro will be one awsum ride. The Challenger is too retro for me, so I hope DCX tweaks it a bit here and there too, but I love the idea ! Either way, to see these two cars hit the street is a car lover's dream come true. Make mine the Chevy Camaro, in red, and I'll c'ya (and leave ya !) on Woodward !!
  • I will agree with you , they need to come out with it sooner and not be the last one on the block to bring something out. Everyone is talking about price mostly younger people. They probley could not afford the insurance on it anyways,They need to stick to there RICE BURNERS I hope GM does not CHANGE the looks of it, I will be the first one in line to buy one.I have 1997 anniversary Z28 convertible and I love it butwould sell it for the new Camaro!!!!!!!!
  • m382m382 Posts: 35
    I would really watch out who exactly you call out in terms of not being able to afford something. I happen to be 23 years old and own more than one car, two of which being a 04 BMW M3 which last I checked cost just a little more to insure than any Camaro, and the other being an 04 WRX STi. That "ricer", I'm sorry you won't be sticking it to. There are a lot of "ricers" out there that love taking out overzealous people who don't give these cars credit. I'm not one of them, but I also know that there's been no Camaro to date, that could dust an STi. Leave aside aftermarket tuners because just as soon as one side comes out with something the other counters. But straight out of the box there are few cars that are straight up faster than it in acceleration, quarter mile, in and out of turns etc. I got the car because it's own of my all time favorites and you'd be hard pressed to find a better "bang for the buck" performance-wise out there. I'd just be a little more disrete when you single out who can't do what.
    I forgot to mention a couple other "ricers" that people my age drive that aren't cheap...350Z, STi, Evo, RX8, RX7....etc. You don't need a "big american V8" for a car to be costly insurance-wise.
  • jpstax1jpstax1 Posts: 197
    Don't feel bad about liking the concept Challenger more than the Camaro. I talked with six Chevy reps at the Chicago Auto Show yesterday, and one of them said the Camaro needs some more design tweaking. That same guy thought the GT500 was the best designed street car in the whole show. I asked him if he thought an SS Camaro might get the LS7, and he said a supercharged LS2 motor is more likely. Unfortunately, the LS7 will only be available for the Z06. He's also heard rumors that a supercharged LS7 might be available next year for an SS version of the Z06.
    I don't think there was any suprise to find out that the LS7 motor is going nowhere but in a Z06...that being their flagship car, and now flaghsip engine. However, I really doubt there's going to be an "SS" Version of a Z06...or Corvette at all for that matter. The Corvette doesn't need an SS version. The Z06 is already a street legal version of Corvette's LeMans Compettition car,...I don't know why they'd put more into that. They'r bargaining piece is that the car competes with world class cars, for a fraction and sometimes half the cost. The fact that it's so close to the C6R already, and that they'r keeping cost down....I doubt they'r going to come out with a performance version(SC Z06)....of the performance version (Z06) of a performance car (Corvette). Besides...if just adding a SC is what their going to do...there'd be no reason to come out with that when it would probably cost you less to have it installed on your own and not go through Chevy. You can't always listen to "reps",...a Ford rep told me once before the current Mustang came out that it would be a replica of the first Mach 1.....right on the ball he was.
  • camarosscamaross Posts: 7
    I'm trilled their bringing the Camaro back to life - They should have never dropped it. What they need to do is have a more modern interpretion, with just enough Camaro characteristics to make you know it's a Camaro - Like the 3rd generation vs. the second generation. It shouldn't take the Mustang's or Challenger's approach - No imagination and no appeal to younger buyers, which the Camaro needs to save alive :D
  • I agree. Chevy missed a grand opportunity when Pontiac snagged the Australian Chevy as a Gaudy Tired Operator. That car should have been the Chevelle SS, and the Camaro needs to look like a muscle car. The reason Mustangs are selling is not the performance, man even the 2002 Camaro will blow them away. They're selling because they look like a muscle car. Same with the Dodge. Chevy in the past few years has really crapped things up. I'm reminded of the Vega debacle. First they turn the Nova into a roller skate, then they embarass we who are Monte Carlo fans with this moronic six cylinder driven hunk of Nascar trash, reduce the Impala to a Corolla of sorts, and make a very cool looking Panel imitation with nothing but a four cylinder underpowered Cobalt engine. If they mess with the Vette, I'm gone as a Chevy owner. (I've been one since 1968, by the way). The hottest thing they make nowdays (if you exclude the Vette and the SSR) is their pickup, and the new front end on the pickups (especially the dog ugly colorado) makes me cringe. It hurts me deeply to watch the bowtie turned into a necktie, 'cause the next step is a noose, and I think they are shooting themselves in the foot with the product they're producing. It may be just an opinion, but it's all mine.
  • twanabtwanab Posts: 1
    I only have a few things to say: my father bought an '05 black mustang, put some stripes on it and a set of 20" rims, making it an outstanding muscle car. Probably the best in this city, sure its a v6 but who cares, it looks good. Since then I know I want to do the same, yet I can't get the same make he has and think that I can make a better looking car and I'm not all that into foriegn cars. Then the concept camaro appeared and allowed me to dream. It might not have muscle the mustang has, but I'm pretty sure I have came up w/a design that would put mine beside his. As long as they keep the same ... design? whatever it is, I'm sure I can put 10k into and be proud to drive it. And my opinion is that big wheels are still in, just have to choose the rights one and not the over-rated spokes.
  • m1miatam1miata Posts: 4,556
    The 20" wheels may make a Stang a show car, as in bling-bling, but that has nothing to do with muscle car. The V6 is just fine with 16" or even 17". The suspension on a car is designed for use with particular diameter and weight wheels. The GT doesn't work better with 20", though I am sure the tire people like the extra money. Come to think of it, muscle cars would be 15" wheels.

Yes, the New Camaro looks pretty cool. A bit wide, and I would imagine a bit heavy. I would make a smaller car, which would be lighter, and use the 3.6 V6 out of the CTS for the engine. By the time the New Camaro is released, gas could be $3.50 a gallon or more - who knows? A lighter engine is easier for getting to 50/50 weight distribution. Then they could add the optional V8 for those in need for more HP, at any cost. Something around 325HP or so would do.

-Loren
  • can someone give me some closer. im seein two styles of the new camaro. which one is comin out. the silver concept dosent appeal to me but the orange one im seein is beautiful.
This discussion has been closed.