Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Future Chevrolet Camaro

navigator89navigator89 Posts: 1,080
edited April 5 in Chevrolet
Chevrolet killed the Camaro in 2002. For 2006 they've unveiled a pretty good looking concept, for the most part.

They haven't confirmed it will be going into production, but I think it is very likely considering that Ford already has the Mustang and the new GT500, and Dodge has just unveiled a Challenger that will most definitely make production.

The Camaro's concept got plenty of power, 6 speed manual with small block V8 putting out 400hp.

The interior looks pretty retro overall but some design elements probably wont make production.

I like the looks of this car but I've been hearing some talk about smoothing out the grille and other modifications to the design. I like it yet I like the Challenger and Mustang more.

Overall I'd say this is a very solid effort from Chevy. This car could really spark interest in Chevrolet proving that they can build exciting cars every now and then.

Check these out.

Camaro pictures and information.

Camaro unveiling video.

The first photos.

More pictures.

Let the muscle car wars begin!

Comments

• Chevy couldn't stay out of it for too long. This Camaro looks like it's worth waiting for. It looks like it'll blow the doors off of the Mustang....
  • Although I think this Camaro needs a couple of modifications,it's gonna be HOT -no matter what!!!!!!
  • rorrrorr Posts: 3,630
    "It looks like it'll blow the doors off of the Mustang...."

Styling (with the exception of the nose) looks 'right' to my eyes.

But I see NO WAY that GM can build this car, with an aluminum 400hp LS2, IRS, and 6M for less than $30k.

What killed the last F-bodies was NOT a lack of performance. Partly what killed them was the cost. GM would do fine with their 5.3l V8 as the 'standard' V8 and a 5M to keep the base V8 cost at around $25-26k.

Leave the LS2 for a future SS edition. And maybe some enterprising 'Yenko' type dealer can talk GM into a few Z06 editions....
  • navigator89navigator89 Posts: 1,080
    Well obviously they can't sell it that cheap. Maybe $35K. But the new Challenger isn't going to be cheap either. I've heard speculation hovering around the $35K mark, because that is the base price for a SRT8 Charger which has the same 425 HEMI. Some are saying a fully loaded Challenger could be upto $40K.

But I dont think price will stop die hard Camaro fans. ;)

I guess at the end of the day the Mustang stands out as the real value, albeit with less power, only 300hp for less than $30K. But even it's 450hp cousin the GT500 will be $40K.

Essentially there is no way for the Big 3 to sell +400hp muscle cars at $30K. The Mustang has 300hp so that's why it's cheap.
  • irgirg Posts: 197
    "But I dont think price will stop die hard Camaro fans." Maybe the ultimate fans, but not nearly enough to be profitable for GM, and at the end of the day, profit is what it is all about.

It's my opinion, but there will be very few people who will pay $35k for a 2 door rwd v-8 coupe. Don't get me wrong, I love the concept, but the reality is, not many people who can afford this, will buy it. It is a niche vehicle, and when the price spars past $30k, it becomes even more of a niche. Now around $22k - $26k, then you have a lot more potential buyers.

I agree with Rorr, put in the 5.3, and leave the 6.0 for future models or Yenko tuners. I think the 3.9 with a turbo or supercharge would also be a viable alternative.

No matter what, Camaro's have always been about performance and value, and they are not mutually exclusive. If the Camro can't compete price wise with the 300 hp Mustang, that extra 100 hp may make it faster, but it will lose a lot in sales.

If they want to get an edge, make an awd Camaro. Those of us in the snow belt would really be interested then. True, that goes against the original, but so do airbags, and ABS and most of us (I know not all) believe those are important items to have too. I think the IRS is a good move on their part, but I would rather less and not have it - or have the option if that was possible. Lack of an IRS doesn't seem to be hurting Mustang sales I don't think.
  • jonpnjjonpnj Posts: 52
    If that comes to production, it will give the Mustang a run for its money. I think it is much nicer looking. I wouldn't mine owning one!!
    First of all, welcome to Edmunds. But there's no need to be rude just to stir the pudding.

Second, who in the heck is Mike from Scarborough? If you want to reply to someone, there's a nice little 'reply' option next to each post. It works great and can cut down on the confusion.

Third, I'll agree that for the last few years, the Mustang certainly hasn't been in the same ball park (ie. graveyard of failed models). And for several years prior to that, it certainly wasn't in the same low-selling ballpark as the Camaro (more than double Camaro/Firebird sales combined). I'm fairly certain FoMoCo didn't want to be in that particular ball park.

But even if you only look at performance, the Mustang has been pretty much in the same ballpark as the Camaro for most of their history which is one reason why the rivalry has been so entertaining for nearly 40 years.

And fourth, I think it's just a tad bit early to start comparing the two since all we've seen to this point on the Camaro is a concept. We have no idea if the LS2, 6sp, IRS, etc. will actually make production and, if they do, where the MSRP might be.

Which brings me to a question for the forum: can the Camaro compete with the Mustang on roughly equal performance footing (approx. 300hp/5sp manual in a 3500lb package for a base of $25k) OR must the Camaro offer superior performance to sell in large numbers?

The reason I ask is because the previous generation F-bodies had superior performance but there was a price to be paid; either in a higher MSRP or perceived reliability/quality issues, insurance cost, etc. Does GM run the risk of deja vu all over again if they go for the big 6.0l guns right out of the box?
  • bottgersbottgers Posts: 2,028
    Back in the muscle car era, you didn't have to be rich to drive a Mustang, Camaro, or a Challenger, even if they had the big engines in them. All 3 of these cars should be priced under $30K or they just aren't going to sell in large enough numbers to make it worthwhile for their companies to build them.
  • twaintwain Posts: 185
    All 3 of these cars should be priced under $30K or they just aren't going to sell in large enough numbers to make it worthwhile for their companies to build them.
    --------------------------------------------

I agree but I think the base price needs to be under 25k. 30k is still too much for the young guys who would love these cars. Under 25k means a smaller, lighter body and a smaller engine. A sharp looking coupe with 250hp that weighed under 3000lbs could be a lot of fun. The price would be lower, the mileage would be better, the insurance would be lower. Makes a lot more sense to me than a 3800lb car with 400hp that costs 35k.
    This should satisfy all those wanting the Camaro to be affordable and come with a V6.
    Camaro to come sooner? ZO6 engine a possibility?
    I didn't explain myself very well. Back in the day (1980's) you could buy many cars with all the go-fast goodies without having to buy the car in the top-of-the-line trim level. For example, you could buy a Mustang LX with all the same driveline and suspension equipment as the GT, without having to pay the extra money for all the bells and whistles of the GT. The result was a car that was just as fast (sometimes even faster) and handled just as well as a GT for thousands less $$$. Camaros and Regals could be had the same way. I had both an LX 5.0 and a Turbo Regal (both very fast cars!) This is what they need to do with these modern day muscle cars. They could offer an "RS" (if you will) model of the Camaro with all the performance stuff of a completely optioned out Camaro, but for $7K-$8K less. This would probably put a 400 HP Camaro priced in the low 20's. Tell me you wouldn't have to put your name on a waiting list to get one of those! Same thing with the new Challengers. They wouldn't be able to build them fast enough!
    Well, I had one of those LX5.0 Mustangs ('93 model - geez, that was a fun little car), but I don't think you'll see anything like that anytime soon on the current Mustang, or on a new Camaro.

And you hinted at the REASON you won't see this anytime soon in your own post.

Demand.

If Ford dealers are able to get MSRP (or perhaps more) on virtually EVERY stinkin' Mustang GT they can lay their hands on, why should Ford even CONSIDER offering a stripped version with JUST the go-fast goodies? Wouldn't it be in their financial best interest (since they sell virtually as fast as the factory can crank them out) to sell higher profit GT models vs. a modern LX version?

Same goes for the Camaro: IF (and this is a big if), they can sell every loaded Z28 edition they can possibly build, why reduce their profit by offering a stripped RS model? Why not wait until the demand has cooled, and then offer the stripped models with the big motor to spur sales?

In other words, I love the concept of stipped models with all the REAL go-fast goodies, but I wouldn't expect to see such an animal for several years after introduction.
    That's what I'm saying. GM and Chrysler aren't going to be selling the Camaros and Challengers like hot cakes if they end up pricing them at $30K or more. It's gonna be the F-Bodies all over again. These cars will end up sitting on the lots until the dealers discount them enough to sell them. Why not make them available both ways so those who want either can have it their way? If the big 3 want to dig themselves out of the finacial quandry they've gotten themselves into, they're going to have to realize they need to give Joe public what they want, and quit trying to force what they want to give us down our throats.
    "GM and Chrysler aren't going to be selling the Camaros and Challengers like hot cakes if they end up pricing them at $30K or more."

Don't know about the Challenger and the ability to sell at over $30k. I don't think Chrysler intends to move NEARLY as many units as Ford (or even GM) so the $30k base price level may not be a killer. Plus, for some reason I've never really figured out the Mopar nuts out there; who knows what they'd be willing to spend... :P :confuse:

Agree on the Camaro. GM needs to get this car to market for a base of $25-26k for the V8 version. Which is why IMO the LS2 will drop by the wayside somewhere between the concept version and the production version. Too pricey and the car should be quick enough with 'only' 300hp from their 5.3l V8.

Can someone explain to me why GM NEEDS a 100hp advantage in order to be competitive with Ford?
    ...so much more expensive? I see no reason the Camaro couldn't be sold WITH the LS2 for around $25K.
    so here's something to revive this thread. The Making of the Camaro Concept.

Camaro
  • I have a couple of camaro's that I have done some extra work to and all I can say is when my wife told me about the 2009 concept camaro I had to look it up and being a camaro person all I can say is let me know when I can buy his and hers car's of this awesome camaro... Being in the late 30's I can say this car is awesome as long there is not a wimpy V6 in it....
  • drfilldrfill Posts: 2,484
    An optional 5.3-liter V8 would be offered in all models, and a six-speed automatic would be the standard transmission across the board, according to vendors who are familiar with the program.

We've found our deal-killer!

I knew I'd never buy aChevy! Iknew it, I knew it.......

DrFill
This discussion has been closed.