Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Saturn Vue Green Line Hybrid

PFFlyer@EdmundsPFFlyer@Edmunds Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,808
Hitting the streets in mid-2006, the 2007 Saturn Vue Green Line Hybrid will be the most affordable Hybrid SUV with starting price less than $23,000. What's more, the Saturn Vue Hybrid is rated at 27 mpg city and 32 mpg highway and delivers 27 more horsepower and an estimated 20-percent increase in fuel economy over the standard Vue.

Saturn Vue Green Line at the Detroit Auto Show

Straightline blog on Saturn Vue Green Line

PFFlyer@Edmunds

Moderator - Hatchbacks & Hybrid Vehicles

Comments

• logic1logic1 Posts: 2,433
    The price and the new styling have my attention.

The pictures of next (or is it an '08) year's Vue replacement have me thinking why buy now when something so much better looking is on the way.
  • PFFlyer@EdmundsPFFlyer@Edmunds Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,808
    You have to p ;) ull the trigger at some point because thre's always something new coming along!

PFFlyer@Edmunds

• jchan2jchan2 Posts: 4,956
    really surprised me especially when I sat in it. Very nice.

Especially since the Escape Hybrid costs so much more...
  • PFFlyer@EdmundsPFFlyer@Edmunds Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,808
    Give us some more of your impressions. I've only seen pics and firsthand in-the-seat experiences are needed! :)

PFFlyer@Edmunds

I think it will be at the Chicago Auto Show. You usually get the full retinue of Saturns at New York as well.

I should be in Chicago a couple of days when the show is there. If not, I will definitely go to New York.

I always thought the VUE was a nice and functional cute-ute, if a little on the bland side. Getting better mpgs than some small cars and not costing a lot up front certainly make bland more tolerable.
  • twaintwain Posts: 185
    I'd like to see the Vue scrap the 2.2 engine and offer the 2.4 with 170hp. That's better suited for a vehicle the size of the Vue.

I'd even forget the Hybrid and save the 2k. ;)
    The Vue Hybrid does come with the 2.4. But the Hybrid is the only Vue that comes with the 2.4.

I believe this is because GM will offer similar hybrid setups on other vehicles such as the Malibu that use the 2.4.
  • stevedebistevedebi LAPosts: 3,732
    Here is what I found on wikipedia:

"General Motors will introduce a mild hybrid system called belt alternator starter (or BAS) in the 2006 Saturn VUE Green Line. It operates similar to the "start-stop" system used in the Chevrolet Silverado Hybrid in that it shuts down the engine when the vehicle comes to a stop and instantly restarts it when the accelerator is pressed. A 48 volt electrical system is used to operate all accessory equipment, from the air conditioning to the lighting, making the system essentially invisible to the driver.

The BAS system goes slightly further than the Silverado, however, in providing some modest power assist for "acceleration feel", according to GM. Although not as effective as other systems, the BAS system is expected to provide about 15% fuel efficiency gain for the compact VUE.

One major benefit of the BAS technology is that it fits in the same space as a conventional engine. No modifications were required to the VUE's chassis to accommodate the BAS system, with the battery pack housed in the spare tire well. This allows the VUE Green Line to be produced on the same assembly line as the normal VUE, producing substantial cost savings and allowing the company to adjust production more easily.

The BAS system uses a conventional 4T45-E automatic transmission."
  • stevedebistevedebi LAPosts: 3,732
    The belt alternator starter replaces the conventional alternator. Considering that electric power is not routed to the transmission at any time, I wonder if this is really a hybrid at all. It does incorporate regenerative braking.

http://tinyurl.com/btnu2

"How Does It Work?
    The BAS concept is to replace the belt driven alternator with an electric motor that serve as a generator and a motor. Thus when the engine is running the motor, and acting as a generator, the system will charge a separate 36 volt battery. When the engine needs to be started, the motor then applies its torque via the accessory belt, and cranks the engine instead of using the starter motor.

In this scheme, the motor/generator can be made larger than a standard starter motor so more torque can be generated when in the motoring mode. This allows for quicker starts of the engine, and makes the start/stop operation possible. Stopping the engine while vehicle is at idle is a means to conserve fuel. The disadvantage to this type of system is that you notice the engine starting and stopping. The control system for this technology so far has been somewhat crude in comparison to the full hybrid engine startups and for some people it could be annoying.

The belt is a short-term solution to get two percent to five percent increase in fuel economy and it mostly affects the city mileage with hardly any effect on the highway mileage. On extremely small vehicles, the belt alternator starter might nudge a vehicle into the mild hybrid category. Otherwise, consumers should know that dealers describing vehicles with this technology as hybrids are defining hybrid technology in the broadest sense. "
    Stopping the engine while vehicle is at idle is a means to conserve fuel. The disadvantage to this type of system is that you notice the engine starting and stopping. The control system for this technology so far has been somewhat crude in comparison to the full hybrid engine startups and for some people it could be annoying.

The Edmunds first drive says starting and stopping the engine is not noticeable.

Otherwise, I think the quote is correct in that the Vue hybrid will probably show the best savings in stop and go driving over highway.
  • The Green Line Vue sounds like something I would be interested in, but I can't seem to find anything about the exhaust emissions, how do they stack up to CARB's requirements? Do they exceed the 2007 requirements? How do the stack up to the import hybrid emisssions?

Since all California Fuels contain an average of 6% ethanol and E85 would be a delight, but may not happen for awhile how does the Green Line stack up with the Flex Fuels? :D
  • The Green Line Vue sounds like something I would be interested in, but I can't seem to find anything about the exhaust emissions, how do they stack up to CARB's requirements? Do they exceed the 2007 requirements? How does it stack up to the import hybrid emisssions?

Since all California Fuels contain an average of 6% ethanol and E85 would be a delight, but may not happen for awhile how does the Green Line stack up with the Flex Fuels? :D
  • mtenamtena Posts: 58
    The new Saturn offering would be even more attractive, if it would qualify for the federal tax credit - basically a purchase rebate, off the top of your tax return.

New Tax Incentive for 2006
  • beebee13beebee13 Posts: 38
    I have a '97 Saturn wagon, and I sure love this little car. My sister recently bought an '05 VUE that is great for her. She recently took it in for its oil change, and was told that out closest dealership is closing. There are two more dealerships a little farther away that are ALSO closing!! Now we will have to go many many miles away if we want to go to a Saturn dealership. Her concern is her warranty... now what does she do?? I don't know if she has the extended or not, but all she was told by Saturn is that each dealership is independently owned, and that she will have to keep looking. Is this information correct?! I can't believe that Saturn would leave their customers high and dry like that! Any information would be greatly helpful. she is considering trading in her Saturn for something else as am I which is sad. We are in Southern California.
  • lewis54lewis54 Posts: 1
    I am looking for a vehicle to tow behind my RV. Everything I read says the Saturn is the way to go if you want all 4 wheels on the ground. Will the Hybrid be able to be be towed as easily?
  • pisulinopisulino Posts: 78
    Otherwise, I think the quote is correct in that the Vue hybrid will probably show the best savings in stop and go driving over highway.

Logic1, My understanding is that Hybrids are built for city driving (all of them) and not highway driving.
    All vehicles of this type will have higher MPG in the city than HWY.
    The reasoning is that the system engages during breaking,stopping, starting.

So the VUE will be in-line with all others.

Of course it will be a very good purchase should you drive in congested HWYs where you still seat stopped for minutes during rush hours.

Regards
  • pisulinopisulino Posts: 78
    Other comments,

This vehicle will not have a spare tire since the space is used for the batteries.

Also for Canadians: The VUE Hybrid is now eligeble for up to $2000 tax refund from the Government.
  • Saturn Dealerships have been strugling with no mid-sized car to sell. While Saturn owners are extremly loyal the ones that need mid size are going elsewhere. Some have decided to pull the plug to stop the bleeding while others continue to patch up the leaks in hope the boat does not sink during the wait. As for the warrenty, if she has a Saturn Corperation warrenty it will be honored at all Saturn stores in the country. Most aftermarket warrentys will also be accepted depending on type. I'm not speaking for Saturn or any dealership but from my limited (2 years) expereance with Saturn. I hope this helps
  • I'll be placing my order for the 2007 Saturn VUE Greenline in the next few weeks. I am terribly excited, especially with the latest update from ACEEE with an estimated $1300 tax credit and it has passed the emissions standards for the ACEEE. Check it out! I printed the listing for the latest estimates and the Hybrid VUE is on there.
    http://www.aceee.org/transportation/hybtaxcred.htm
    With the price so low on the new Hybrid VUE, the credit basically pays for the new engine. ;) :P