Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Camry Hybrid

Comments

• stevedebistevedebi LAPosts: 3,719
    "Of course cars only cost say $6,500 for a fuylly loaded Corvette or $3,500 for a fully loaded Oldsmobile Cutlass 442 muscle car with 4 speed Hurst shifter, 455 cubic Inches and 365 Hp."

Don't forget that beautiful 4 barrel Holley carb...
  • jtdpxjtdpx Posts: 19
    This is a response from "Family Car" concerning my question to them about the Warranty Coverage of the new Camry Hybrid:

"I understand your skepticism. Here is a link that should answer your concerns. http://www.driveclean.ca.gov/en/gv/faq/index.asp. Click on the first question "How can I choose a car that has fewer emissions?" and read the first paragraph. It will show you who's right. Remember, the warranty is only for cars sold in states that have adopted the California emission standards. Otherwise the warranty is 8 years /100,000 miles for the hybrid components. As for the Prius, that article was written before the law came out. The current Prius should be covered the same as the Camry Hybrid.
    Editor"

So.....it looks like the Camry and Prius have a 15 yr./150,000 mi. warranty on the hybrid components: battery control module, hybrid control module and inverter with converter. Have not been able to get Toyota to verify, however.
  • newt5newt5 Posts: 15
    Ahhh... the use of selective quotes. You pick the worst of the review, so I'll include the entire driving impression.

Full driving impression from Edmunds:
    "Driving Impressions:
    The Continental GT weighs in at a hefty 5,300 pounds. As one would expect, this mass imparts the car with an aura of solidity. More surprising is that the GT is stable and secure when sent through corners. Much credit goes to the car's adjustable and automatic air suspension system. There is no repeal for the laws of physics, however, and the GT is out of its element when hustled forth on tight and twisty roads. With little drama, the twin-turbo W12 produces tremendous thrust. Braking is similarly effortless with short stops and superb feedback through the pedal."

You haven't driven it... I have, and other reviews (R&T etc) back up my statement. It aint a boring drive. But this is a Camry discussion board so I'll have this be my last word on the subject.
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Posts: 7,160
    In their own preproduction model testing Toyota engineers drove a TCH acorss country for about 4300 mi in various types of driving and averaged 36 mpg combinned. This is exactly what I'd expect a normal hybrid-proficient driver to be able to obtain. It's also consistent with the Prius and HH in that the 'combined' value falls just below the EPA highway value.

48-49 combined vs 51 Hwy for the Prius
    25-26 combined vs 27 Hwy for the HH

Also first TCH's should be here in early May...

Also next hybrid will likely be the Sienna .. next year. Then the remodelled HH, Corolla hybrid and Supra hybrid.
  • mary99mary99 Posts: 65
    I get 35mpg overall in my current car- a 97 Civic 4-cyl.

I was decided on the TCH and I think I'm backing out. I read the 'Prius problems' forum here last night for 30 minutes or so and it terrified me.
    If it's fuel economy and low price ( or zero price if you keep your Civic ) that are key to your decision then the TCH is not a good decision.

A better choice might be a Certified Civic/Corolla from say 2001 or so where you could buy it for under $10K and still get 10+ great reliable years from it.

The Prius problems are often 'emphasized for effect' let's say. For balance you might pose some of those concerns on GreenHybrid or Priuschat to get another viewpoint. I sold them for 5 yrs before getting one last Nov. Nothing to regret at 10K mi in 4 months.. I'll keep you posted.
    Thanks, kdh. Cost isn't the factor. I'm planning on spending around $32k this time, and I spend a lot of time in my car and want something nicer this time. And my hybrid decision was as much to support the technology and help the environment as it was to save on fuel costs. No, make that more. And I know the Prius has excellent reliability. I've just had so many people tell me lately "Wait a few more years", including (usually) car salesman. And reading some of those Prius stories was eye-opening. I do imagine that every Prius problem (and then some) was described on there, though. ;)
    I believe some of it might be hyperventilation because it seems to get highest satisfaction and reliability numbers from several sources, CR, Intellichoice and one other I think.

It's also the experience it seems from my 'pioneering' customers.
  • midnightcowboymidnightcowboy Posts: 1,978
    Mary99,

$32K to spend. I have the perfect car for you a Honda S2000 convertible :shades:

MidCow
    Njerald,

I would put too much faith in FamilyCar.com Wait until the actual 2007 Camry hybrid is realized if the exact warranty period and terms is of concern. Also, about battary warranty, some earlier hybrids are just now starting to have declining batteries. By delining, I mean they are not working as new, but have not failed enough to qualify for replacement. Equate it to a rechargeable battery, that not longer holds it charge very long and has to be recharged all of the time. There is going to be a lot of contriversy aboout battery repalcement.; one module, all modules, all modules plus the battery electronics, etc. Unless you keep cars a long time (over 7years), then battery issues sohuldn't be a hybrid make or break decision. However, realize that if you don't keep your car at least 7 years, you probably won't recover your hybrid premium in gas saving. That is unless the governements latest push to force stations to use Ethanol enhance gas takes place and adds another 25 cents a gallon to the gas prices.

Cheers,

MidCow (unable to make the Hybrid sacrifice at this time :cry: )

P.S.- NOtice they refer to the "lethagic Prius"
  • njeraldnjerald Posts: 688
    I'm going to order an XLE, save $4,500-5,500 and not worry about suppositions.
  • gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 28,680
    If the hybrid craze lasts, in 10-15 years you can trade that fine XLE in on a TCH. By then we will know the reality of hybrid longevity.
    Njerald: Good Choice 2007 Camry XLE

Gagprice: In 10-15 years , I will be driving my tribrid solar/eletric/diesel/ FUV (Fuel Utility Vehicle) :P

Remember Hybrid is the current knee jerk reaction to high oil prices, just as turbo and retrofited diesel was in the late 70's. But remember back then the Big three were king and imports were tiny, tiny players. In 10-15 years the big three won't be American anymore even though they will have American factories.

Just remember how Myoptic railroads and telegraph operators were in their day :confuse:

Cheer,

MidCow

P.S.- Dod I mention the tribrid FUVs will offer manual shift and will get in excess of 100 mpg!
    Perfect except for I have no desire for sporty, have a 5-year-old, need a comfy, quiet car, and hate wind in my hair! :P (I don't even want a moonroof! LOL )
    Mary99:

Okay , cool ! How important is mileage and TCO (Total Cost of Ownership)? is that why your are looking at 2007 Camry Hybrid ?

There are a bunch of other options for 32K?

Quiet,Luxury, reliaiblity

Camry XLE
    Avalon XLS
    Lexus ES 330
    Lexus IS 250
    Honda Accord EX
    Acura TL
    Acura TSX
    Prius

Good Luck,

MidCow
  • robertsmxrobertsmx Posts: 5,525
    If you thought turbos were result of knee jerk reaction in the 1970s, you may want to see how much advancement has been made in that area, and virtually ALL diesel engines today are turbo charged, and turbos in gasoline have not gone out of fashion either. As a matter of fact, it is gaining grounds.

If you drew a parallel between turbo and hybrid, then you could expect hybrid technology to improve considerably. Besides, the greatest drawback of the hybrid technology today is energy storage (NOT, having an electric motor to go with gasoline/diesel). And that issue is more widespread than the realms of hybrid vehicles.
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Posts: 3,159
    Also next hybrid will likely be the Sienna .. next year. Then the remodelled HH, Corolla hybrid and Supra hybrid.

Supra hybrid?? I don't think so. Hybrid and supercar do not mix, that goes double for the Supra, given the value that name holds in the racing world.
    XLE 4c or 6c? Likely the TCH will be $2-4K less than the XLE 6c, sans leather.
    You've already seen the prototype on Toyota's website. There are several threads and hints that it might be the Celica replacement but called the Supra.

But this info is only from Toyota itself so I too will wait and see.
  • robertsmxrobertsmx Posts: 5,525
    The premium for HSD is more than it is going from I-4 to V6. Unless TCH offers a lot fewer features than XLE/V6, it won't carry a lower price tag (and in that case, it makes little sense to compare XLE/V6, just compare it to LE/V6).