Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Camry Hybrid

Comments

• njeraldnjerald Posts: 688
    Japan? Where did that come from?
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Posts: 7,160
    From May through Nov all the TCH's will be from Japan.. KY production doesnt start til 4th Qtr. Then at full production, ~8000 / mo, half will be from Japan and half from KY.
    Depending on your 'need' for one right away...

I'd estimate that for the first 6 months shipments/sales will be ~ 4000/mo for all 1700 stores in NA. That's your 2-3 monthly. I will tend to agree with you that if the sales parallel the Prius CA will get 5 times as many as 2nd place VA... then MA, NY/NJ, FL, TX.

In The Dayton area you might have several stores with one each for the first several months. Getting what you want and having it this summer may not be likely. When KY production kicks in at the end of the year.. go to Cinci or Lexington which are 'out the back door' so to speak.
  • gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 28,850
    let's talk facts, not roundoffs.

I used the EPA site where they rate the 2005 trunk at 17 cu ft. Edmund's says 16.7 cu ft. 15 cu. ft is still going backward in my opinion. A 9-10 cu ft trunk is a sub-compact size.
  • deweydewey Posts: 5,243
    Huh huh,

it appears Toyota is already addressing my concern about trunk space.

Toyota appears ready to use some of Georgtown's capacity for a tall station wagon.

So this may mean there will be a Camry version of a wagon down the road. A hyrid Camry wagon would definitely improve the 10.5 cubic feet of cargo space in the sedan.

Also it appears Camry owners are not getting younger:

The average age of a Accord buyer is 42
    The average ago of a Camry buyer is 52
    The overall average age of a Buick buyer is 62

For more details read the link below:

link title
  • drfilldrfill Posts: 2,484
    I'm surprised at you! :confuse:

You take my commentary far too lightly, D. You should know better.

Our Reviewer's Corrected 2007 Camry Hybrid Mileage

Because of the low fuel economy readings in my test of the Toyota Camry Hybrid, I asked for, and received, the car for a quick weekend of re-testing.

We drove the car to my daughter's, a trip of 375 miles, more than four times the mileage of the original test.

My mileage in this second test was 37.4 mpg, and it consisted of mostly highway miles, not the hybrid's ideal environment since they usually do better in urban driving. According to the onboard computer, I nudged over 40 mpg with cruise control set at 70 mph for one stretch.

I feel this is a closer indication of the kind of mileage one might expect with the Camry Hybrid, not the mid-20 mpg I achieved in my original test.

So Sorry...but thanks to the sharpest Internet audience, I have been corrected.

John Heilig>

Plus this by Autobytel.com

2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid First Drive
    All Camry, with a compact appetite
    by Brian Chee
    Introduction

What’s New? The 2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid offers all the upgrades of the redesigned 2007 model, with a more fuel-efficient powertrain…and a few extras.
    Selling Points: The best-selling car in America now gets close to 40 mpg
    Deal Breakers: Offered only as a more expensive trim, pricing out CE and LE buyers
    Our Advice: The best of all worlds, if you’re willing to pay for it

MEET THE COMPETITION 2006 Honda Civic Hybrid First Drive
    2005 Hybrid Comparison
    Toyota Highlander Hybrid Road Test

RELATED LINKS 2007 Toyota Camry Photo Gallery
    2007 Toyota Camry First Drive

PALM SPRINGS, Calif. – It’s coming, and for those locked down in the frigid winter weather, it can’t get here soon enough: summer heat, the kind that puts sweat glands into overdrive and makes life a damp, day-to-day grind.

But it sure beats scraping ice off a windshield.
    At least on the hot days to come, you can escape the blazing sun with treats that take your mind off the slow burn. Nothing beats vanilla ice cream for chasing the blues away on a hot, sweaty day. But order that sundae with multiple flavors and it runs together into a big, tasteless melting blob of color – the frozen dessert equivalent of sensory overload. Consider, too, all the things you can do with vanilla – and the ice cream will actually accentuate your creativity.

Mmmm.
    Just like a cone of vanilla on a sweltering summer day, there are few cars out there that refresh quite like the Toyota Camry. It’s big enough, powerful enough, priced right, stays in one piece, rarely gives its owners any trouble, and the good taste hangs around for a nice long time. Changing such a successful recipe is a dicey game to play, so when Toyota went about redesigning the 2007 Toyota Camry, it did so with a surgical touch. The result is a better version of vanilla, and now there’s even a hybrid flavor – which is like getting all the taste of the best vanilla ice cream but with half the calories. Few people can say no to something like that, and Toyota is ready to prove it with a 2007 Camry Hybrid that represents the next stage of this burgeoning technology.

First, there was the Honda Insight, a nice little car that used gasoline like a debutante sips lemonade. Then the Toyota Prius and the Honda Civic came along, proving that people would pay more for the technology. A strange experiment with V6 engines was next up, one that left most of us cold. Now it’s the Camry’s turn, and we’re getting warm fuzzies.

The 2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid is a compelling combination that matches the treats found in America’s best-selling car with our growing need for fuel economy and our lust for power – at least enough to make us feel alive on the road. At an average of about 38 miles per gallon in combined city and highway travels, a virtually transparent driving experience and a combined horsepower rating of 192, the 2007 Camry Hybrid puts it all together. It’s the car with the right answers to most of our motoring questions, except, perhaps this sticky remaining query: will the Average Joe be able to afford one?

Questioning my verasity is always....questionable. ;)

DrFill
    I know Doc, I should take you a bit more seriously and start taking those prescribed pills you gave me :P

The evidence you provided shows the merits of owning a Camry hybrid. I am not denying that at all.

BUT as I mentioned in an initial post any hybrid sedan is quite useless for someone who values cargo/trunk space.

Your veracity is intact . But I do seriously question your views on Lexus, BMW and MB, but that is definitely a discussion for another forum ;)
  • drfilldrfill Posts: 2,484
    I will provide the further counseling you need on the rest of the auto industry as we go along this Spring. :)

DrFill
  • You all guessed too high, lower than I was thinking also, is this car going sell like hotcakes or what? Here you go.
    http://money.cnn.com/2006/03/28/Autos/toyota_hybrid.reut/index.htm

If link is bad go to money dot cnn dot com

I see prius like waiting list for the next 2 years on this car! Is toyota going to kill GM or what? Toyota always say we don't want to be number one, yea right. :)
    Post #850 .. Camry 2007 forum
    Every headline I see about the Hybrid Camry says the same thing:

The hybrid Camry priced 5k below the hybrid Accord

Ouch for Honda!
  • stevedebistevedebi LAPosts: 3,788
    "Every headline I see about the Hybrid Camry says the same thing:

The hybrid Camry priced 5k below the hybrid Accord

Ouch for Honda!"

I suspect we may see an I4 Accord Hybrid in the near future...
    Honda's statements I believe lead me to believe that they are going more toward diesel and otber technology.

Dollars to donuts the I4 HAH never appears. It would neither be as powerful nor as efficient as the TCH. In the same way the HCH is less by a degree or two than the Prius the I4 HAH will be that way with the TCH. That's not a comparo Honda wants to see. Now subject to sudden secret improvements in the IMA it might occur. But not as it exists today.
  • jtdpxjtdpx Posts: 19
    According to Toyota's website, the Camry hybrid component warranty is 15 yr./150,000 miles for California and those several other states that have similar emissions requirements. Question: For California, etc. is the 2006 Prius still 10 yr./150,000 miles for the hybrid components? I believe Toyota customer service thinks so. The battery for both is 10 yr./150,000 - again for California, etc.
  • crv16crv16 Posts: 205
    I think this might be the most compelling hybrid to date - definately a much better idea than the Accord Hybrid.

First of all - it's priced fairly well. It's only $825 more than the XLE 4 cylinder. The XLE 4 cyl with stability control has a sticker of $25,655. The Camry Hybrid, which has stability control as standard equipment, stickers for $26,480 With tax incentives, that premium should drop to just about nothing.

If the real world fuel economy is in the mid to high 30's, it will easily pay for itself.

It's very curious why there is such a small price premium on the Camry, yet such an outrageous premium for the Highlander Hybrid.
    The HH was essentially just a tagalong to the introduction of the Lexus 400h. However @ $33500 it's just $2500 higher than the ICE 4WD Highlander.... comparing stickers not transactions. The Camry has benefited from an additional year of cost cutting and design as well.
    A bigger V6 RAV4 with a third row of seats makes the highlander seem a bit redundant.

The current HH is a dated model and definitely needs to be re-skinned and re-engineered. Selling a premium priced hybrid version of a dated model is unfortunately a tough sell.

IMO Toyota should be guided by the FT-SX concept for it's upcoming Highlander as pictured below:

I am sure a reasonably priced hybrid highlander that resembles the above vehicle would sell just fine.
  • crv16crv16 Posts: 205
    The Highlander Hybrid seems to be at least $5,000 more than a comparably equipped Highlander.

The Camry Hybrid is only $825 more than a comparably equipped Camry XLE
    I stand corrected. The price difference between an HH and an ICE V6 is about $5000. I'm assuming that it's one of the lessons that they learned over this last year. I'd expect the next iteration to be the 2.4L Hybrid at a lower price point.

If the 3.5L 268 hp ICE next year goes for ~$31000 I think a 2.4L HH will be in the same range.. not $36000. Your choices then would be
    268 hp and FE values in the 22 mpg range combined, or
    192 hp and FE values in the low 30's combined.
  • stevedebistevedebi LAPosts: 3,788
    "Now subject to sudden secret improvements in the IMA it might occur. But not as it exists today."

Funny you should mention this, I don't think that the Accord has put in the new technology electric motor yet. That would yield more power.

Plus, they could also put electric motors directly on the wheels - which is a different implementation, of course.