Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Camry Hybrid

Comments

• wvgasguywvgasguy Posts: 1,405
    If I were chosing today I would get a v6 RAV, v6 Avalon or v6 Camry instead of a Camry Hybrid. The mileage payoff just isn't there!

Look back at old posts. If the V6 modelcamry or especially an Avalon are your choices then the TCH similarily equiped would be competitive in price and cheaper in overall costs to operate. But I won't drag this out in a long thread, it's all in the past threads
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,618
    reserve a van at the rental agency in advance, go to pick it up the night before you leave on vacation and picture how you would feel if they said, 'sorry all we have is a chevy cobalt, but it's a 4 door!'? ;)
  • spiff72spiff72 Posts: 179
    Hi...

I was wondering how well the cruise control manages the ICE and electric motors?

If you set the cruise at about 40 mph on a flat stretch of road (or maybe a slight decline), does the ICE still shut off?
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Posts: 7,160
    Usually the use of cruise will cause the ICE to run more often in my experience. It's a small difference but whenever the speed falls below the set point there is a boost of fuel, this seems somewhat counterproductive. But the total effect is small.
  • parnolaparnola Posts: 140
    Yes, the new Camry V6 takes regular 87 octane.
    Actually happened. My wifes friend reserved a van for 8 women to travel to Ohio. Showed up that morning for their trip and all they had was a mid size sedan.

Never a good idea to depend on someone else when it really matters
  • gandyfiregandyfire Posts: 36
    It might be interesting to see what the Previous vehicle(s) were:
    I know of one where it was ...

1. 1/4 ton pickup
    2. 1/2 ton pickup ( 20 yrs old )
    3. Honda Element
    4. 2003 Infiniti FX45
    5. 98 Camry XLE ( 115K trouble free miles )
    6. 04 Accord LX
    7. 95 Toy Land Cruiser (200,000 miles 13 mpg! I love the LC and am keeping it as well)
    8. 91 Camry V6 Le (selling)

Add on as you wish..
  • tchjunky1tchjunky1 Posts: 1

1. 1/4 ton pickup
    3. Honda Element
    4. 2003 Infiniti FX45
    6. 04 Accord LX
    7. 95 Toy Land Cruiser (200,000 miles 13 mpg! I love the LC and am keeping it as well)
    9. 06 Chrysler 300 loaded (bought 03/13/06, called last week for a TCH just went and watched it come off the truck 05/24/2006)

Add on as you wish..
  • kevintlutzkevintlutz Posts: 9
    I have several stretches of very flat road in my area where the TCH using cruise control will run for several miles (the length of the road) at 40 mph or less with the ICE off. I can't get this to easily happen without the cruise activated.

I notice that 40 mph is a programmed speed in the TCH computer. Above 40 mph, the ICE will always run. The ICE will shut off during decelerations only below 40 mph.
  • john312john312 Posts: 24

1. 1/4 ton pickup
    3. Honda Element
    4. 2003 Infiniti FX45
    6. 04 Accord LX
    9. 06 Chrysler 300 loaded (bought 03/13/06, called last week for a TCH just went and watched it come off the truck 05/24/2006)
    10. 97 Mercury Sable LS (219,000 miles)

Add on as you wish..
  • snozwangersnozwanger Posts: 2

1. 1/4 ton pickup
    3. Honda Element
    4. 2003 Infiniti FX45
    6. 04 Accord LX
    10. 94 Acura Legend L - 116K miles of mostly commutes - rarely averaged over 18MPG!

Add on as you wish..
  • midnightcowboymidnightcowboy Posts: 1,978
    Pretty amazing comparison. Doesn't sound like all of the natuaral gas is getting to the stove burner.

You trade in a fairly new $50K vehicle to get better mileage. The Voodoo economics just don't add up, there is a lot of lost depreciation.

Hey if you buy a big heavy 4533 pounds, big engined Vehicle (4.5 Liters, with 320 horsepower) you are going to get good mileage. What did you expect?

The Hybrid Camry is less featured, less weight and less luxurious, less cargo, but it does provide much better mpg

I would venture to say that the depreciation loss on a 1-2 year old FX45, estimated to be $15-20K will take some 5 years to recover at the current gas rate of $3 per gallon.

It is amazing the number of people that just do not understand economics or at least don't want too.

LOL.

MidCow

Next you will hear avout Hummer H1 owners trading for Corollas to save gas and money LOL
  • alp8alp8 Posts: 656
    maybe he wants to save GAS more than he wants to save MONEY

ever think of that?
    It is amazing the number of people that just do not understand economics or at least don't want too.

There's NO Comparison to make. It's simply what I went from ...to

Call it a change of attitude. If you look at my previous posts you'll notice I have had a lot of sport(y) vehicles. I trade often, can afford to and don't appoligize for it. That can show a lack of understanding (or concern)about finances, not necessarily a lack of understanding of economics.

I have two kids I am helping to get started in their careers and I am getting close to retirement. I have decided I no longer want to participate in the power race and simply wanted an economy car. I did not want a small Honda, or a weird looking prius or Insight, The gasoline cars with good FE are typically too small for my tastes. When I saw the TCH being offered I felt that was "interesting" enough to keep my technology side happy and frugal enough to make a difference in my finances. I would have preferred that the ES350 been offered with the hybrid option

It's not totally about milage but that is a part of the overall financial package.

I don't live life looking back so the real question is about the economics of the TCH, not what I traded.

However, as for the trade, it was a $48,000 MSRP that I got with a $7200 discount and 1.9% financing. I was very happy to own it. I did enjoy it and the 16.3mpg average on premium gas did not bother me. I have lost more in trading 1 year old vehicles than this, so for my poor track record, this deal is one of my better ones. Actually I lost $11,000. I've done worse in lot shorter times. (I'm plan to quit doing that too.)

I traded for a 4 (model year) newer car for $500 difference. I am getting a Fed Tax credit of $2600 and a State Tax Credit of $3750. I am also saving > $170/mo in gasoline and my payment went down $230/mo.

One of my biggest concerns is getting totally out of debt and having my 401K and pension to continue travelling the world. My "values" are changing.

For what it's worth, and this is the "he's a nut" part of the story, I fully believe when Iran does get full nuculear capabilities, that they will share it with their friends and there WILL be some doom and gloom for the American economy. I've sat in lines in the 70's for gas and the thoughts of being able to travel 600+ miles on a tank of gas to visit my relatives without having to fill up is just one of the benefits of the TCH. Driving around all week on a tank is nice as well. What if gas hits $4 or $5 (and I think it will) how do people afford to drive? (I can afford it if anyone else can) What's going to happen to the American economy when all the people in trucks and SUV's (I have one of those as well for hauling) commuting to work start paying most of their salaries for gas? How are they going to be able to dump all of these gas hogs and get economical cars?

Doom and Gloom??? Naw, but tough times. I just don't want to be a part of it anymore.

Call me crazy for having a change of life but I fully understand economics. Do you? You must, I see you drive Honda's. Why can't you accept that I see the light like you? Am I doomed to continue driving sports cars or Luxury vehicles just because I went down that path?

I remember they thought I was crazy back when I traded my 3rd BMW, a 525e for an Astro van and a Silverado. Hey, it was what I wanted at the time. I had young kids and lived in the country and road traveled a lot.

Now I fly to islands rather than drive to the beach. I pull a trailer rather than own a truck.
    Thanks alp8.

It's tough to defend philosophical and attitude changes against someone that wants rational thinking.

My past was not rational. This is rational.

I've also show in past posts for me specifically, this is a great economic decision. Huge tax credits, great gas milage and a comfortable car. If it could tow 3500# I'd get rid of my SUV as well.
    you've probablyheard this rant from me before, but anyone who says the hybrid decision is a bad one from purely an economic standpoint and compares your hybrid purchase to some other new car purchase is completely off-base, since ALL new car purchases are stupid (from a purely economic standpoint).

You can't even talk "smart" economic car buying decisions unless you are talking about a used car.

and we all know that many folks do not buy cars based on economics. If they did, no one would drive a BMW.

ouch!!
  • dmhltd1dmhltd1 Posts: 31
    I don't worry about it. Buying a new car for me is purely an emotional experience not an economic one. Everyone knows that you take a hit in depreciation when you drive it off the lot and the "smart" buyer buys used. But the "smart" guy probably doesn't get the new car smell and the odometer at less than 10 miles and a new warranty, etc. etc. The "smart" guy either doesn't care about those things or cares about saving money more.

With the TCH I'm even worse. I know I'm not going to save any money and I take that hit up front. But every time gas goes up $.25 I'll be smiling. And I'm not going to shave off the hybrid sticker, I want people to notice it after they see my license plate LS4NOIL.

Just about everyone makes an emotional purchase at some time that makes no economical sense.

Lastly, Maybe the "smart" guy made all the right economic choices but failed to research the vehicle and manufacturer reliability ratings and failed to get that "uneconomical" extended warranty and took it in the shorts where he keeps his billfold. :P :D
  • hybridriverhybridriver Posts: 77
    You can't even talk "smart" economic car buying decisions unless you are talking about a used car.

It would be hard to argue this point, BUT by far the worst car purchase I ever made was a used Mazda that ended up eating money at a stupid rate. After that, I vowed to only purchase new cars, so as to: a) make sure I knew how the car had been cared for; and b) make sure I had some warranty protection. Of course, purchasing very low mileage vehicles probably affords a hedge against both of those issues.
    yes, same with me. My worst car purchase was a used Acura Legend - whoudda thunk it? (actually, it was the one Acura Legend that had lousy marks in Consumer Reports, and it failed for exactly the reason CR gave it bad marks - so shame on me)

but we can't make broad generalizations based on our individual experiences. Our purchases are single data points.
  • bmgoodmanbmgoodman Posts: 102
    LOVE your plate choice!

I'd plagiarize you and use it on mine, but with Virginia's Clean Special Fuel Plate (to get the HOV exemption), I don't think there's any personalization. Just a boring number. Of course, the other "boring" numbers, 2600 (tax credit) and 38 (MPG) ease my pain! :)
  • shaunsshauns Posts: 24
    The NAV system in the new Camry takes up all the space on
    the dash. NAV system owners - where do you insert the CDs?
  • hybridriverhybridriver Posts: 77
    The NAV system in the new Camry takes up all the space on
    the dash. NAV system owners - where do you insert the CDs?

You just hit the "Close" button and the display is moved outward and then rotates 90 degrees to allow access to the CD slot. It's pretty trick, actually, although it takes a few extra seconds to open/close.

BTW, with the Nav system, you only get a 4 CD changer, not 6, as I read somewhere.
  • straversestraverse Posts: 6

1. 1/4 ton pickup
    3. Honda Element
    4. 2003 Infiniti FX45
    6. 04 Accord LX
    11. 2001 4Runner SR5 4WD (loved the car, but 19mpg for a commuting car was really bothering me)

Add on as you wish..
  • midnightcowboymidnightcowboy Posts: 1,978
    WOW LOL I never thought of that. "Saving GAS instead of Money" Probably also burns dollar bolls for heat.

Motor-On and have a good Memorial Day weekend,

MidCow
  • dmhltd1dmhltd1 Posts: 31
    1. 1/4 ton pickup
    3. Honda Element
    4. 2003 Infiniti FX45
    6. 04 Accord LX
    11. 2001 4Runner SR5 4WD (loved the car, but 19mpg for a commuting car was really bothering me)
    12. 2000 Solara XLE V6. 103k miles. Great car, gets about 18 city and 22 combined :( .
  • lmlpxhlmlpxh Posts: 8
    Has anyone been able to get the voice recogniton to work with the speed dial? I tried to set it up and after 1 hr, gave up. I got to the point where you record your voice for the name, but it didn't work. What's been your experience with voice recognition so far? It's been pretty much useless so far.
  • njeraldnjerald Posts: 688
    Works fine for me. I have 10 numbers set up where I hit the voice recognition button, say the name, it is repeated and then I push the off hook button to dial.

Takes less time.
    Have a good, long weekend, MidCow

what kind of beer will you be drinking?

You know, I can get you just as drunk on beer that costs half as much. Oh, you say you don't mind spending an extra buck to get the beer you like? That's the spirit!!!

;-)
  • djpdx1djpdx1 Posts: 30
    1. 1/4 ton pickup
    3. Honda Element
    4. 2003 Infiniti FX45
    6. 04 Accord LX
    12. 2000 Solara XLE V6. 103k miles. Great car, gets about 18 city and 22 combined .
    13. 2004 Nissan Murano SL, 27,000 miles, loaded, 18.9 MPG average, joy to drive, premium fuel too expensive to drive.
  • hamm3rhamm3r Posts: 55
    I have also been using the feature with no problem. Once you get the names set up, let it sounds like you have, just hit the voice button. After you are prompted you can say "Dial by Name". You will then be prompted for who to call.