Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Camry Hybrid

Comments

• bikercpabikercpa Member Posts: 1
    I'm new to this Forum, so hi, y'all. I'm contemplating purchasing a TCH and would like to know people's experiences with some things. First is the heater. I have a relatively short commute--about 10 to 12 minutes in suburban traffic, which means I get up to maybe 40 mph for short stretches. Driving like this, how much time should I give the heater to warm up?
  • czechmanczechman Member Posts: 4
    Depends on where you live and if the car is garaged, etc. I live in Minneapolis (-16 this morning). Dash said it was 7 in my garage and I was getting heat in 5-8min...fully warm in 10-12. Neat thing is that the car holds off on the blower in the Auto mode until there actually is heat available and doesn't blow the cold up your pants leg. But there is a symbol that shows some air is being directed at the windshield so as to prevent it getting fogged over. Only bummer in this weather is that mileage (summer mid 30's) is now in low 20's...but I figure everyone's is down with cold like this!
  • talmy1talmy1 Member Posts: 55
    The real downside with the TCH and short commutes isn't the heater but the poor gas mileage. This isn't the car to buy for short trips. I'll take this back if you also use it for long driving vacations. My 3 mile commute is barely 20MPG when the temps are in the 30's, but I still get over 40MPG on the road. (I normally commute in another vehicle which doesn't get hit as hard).
  • ericottawaericottawa Member Posts: 19
    Hi,

I have a TCH and live in Ottawa Canada. Today was somewhere around 0 F.The gas engine will start up to heat the catalytic converter and also heat the car as necessary. It works very well and is just as fast as any other car. Today I was stopped at a light and as I stopped, the engine stopped as usual. Moments later the engine started for heat to the passenger compartment. It is VERY well thought out. Rather amazing actually. I love it!

Eric
  • divewreckdivewreck Member Posts: 50
    Toyota's web site doesn't even list traction control & stability control as an option on the 09 TCH. Am I missing something here?
  • wvgasguywvgasguy Member Posts: 1,405
    The "09" is still smoke and mirror from what I saw. The site says Camry 09 but all of the drop down menus as well as the build it show as a 2008 Camry.

As for the VSC it is shown as a standard feature on the TCH, not an option
  • oacoac Member Posts: 1,594
    Toyota's web site doesn't even list traction control & stability control as an option on the 09 TCH. Am I missing something here?

No you are not missing anything, except that the TCH has the Lexus-like VDIM which combines TRAC + VSC, so no need to list out the VSC as an option. There are features beyond MPG that makes the TCH a $5K premium over its standard LE trim :shades: add SMART key, standard VDIM, lower Cd (better), better sound-proofed laminated windshield, standard 16" alloys, etc...
  • bdt11bdt11 Member Posts: 3
    After driving, the back half of the plate covering the gear shift gets warm, or very warm. The dealer's service man says it's normal heat from the catalytic converter. Is it possible that the cat. converter is heating a plate inside the cabin?
  • acco20acco20 Member Posts: 211
    More likely a bulb in that area, maybe the one that eluminates the gear shift location. Probably normal.JMHO.
  • toutsuitetoutsuite Member Posts: 2
    Hi All -

I have a 2008 THC (love it!). I'm new to the SKS system, so I was wondering if someone could answer a question for me. When I approach the car and (I assume) get in range of the car's SKS detection antenna, I hear some sort of noise coming from the engine compartment. It sounds like a very small electric motor. I assume this is somehow related to the SKS system and the car getting ready to unlock the door if the sensor is touched, but I'm not sure. Has anyone else heard this, or do you know what it is?

Thanks!

-Alex
  • larsblarsb Member Posts: 8,204
    After now owning my TCH for about 20 months, let me give you a good tip:

Ignore all the whirring and buzzing noises.

They are all just normal sounds from this car.

The owner's manual has a whole page of : "If you hear this.....it's normal" warnings.

Enjoy the car with all it's unique sounds. If something breaks, it will become obvious to you.
  • toutsuitetoutsuite Member Posts: 2
    Thanks!

Yeah, I know it's normal, I'm just curious as to what it is. I love all the new technology incorporated in the car, so it's interesting to me to know what's going on "behind the scenes," so to speak.
  • toyofan5toyofan5 Member Posts: 8
    I believe after some investigation that this is actually the anti lock braking system doing something with some air pump. I had one occasion where my car would make this noise and didn't stop making the noise after I shut the car down for a few minutes. It gave me an opportunity to narrow down where it was comign from, and seemed to clearly be the braking system. It must be getting ready when you get in the car to pressurize something in the system. I asked the dealer why on that one occasion the same system was making a lot of noise after I shut the car off, and he said the system will do a self test sometimes.
  • sto2sto2 Member Posts: 2
    I am not positive but I think the clicking is coming from the covers over the speakers in the dash. I have an 07 TCH and it drives me nuts-hope this helps, I have not done anything about it yet.
  • sto2sto2 Member Posts: 2
    I get the clicking when the humidity is low whether it is hot or cold. I think it is the covers over the speakers in the dash
  • tsytsy Member Posts: 1,551
    I had those looked at and they put in more foam padding. Didn't make the tiniest difference. But I understand some people have this problem. Unfortunately it's not mine.

tom
  • barb36jack31barb36jack31 Member Posts: 34
    OK, it's dumb question time. I am new to this site. What is TCH?

Jack H.
  • barb36jack31barb36jack31 Member Posts: 34
    Sorry, I just answered my own question. I just noticed the heading of the website is Toyota Camry Hybrid.. I'll try to do better in the future!

Jack H.
  • raven12raven12 Member Posts: 3
    I just got a response to an internet 2009 TCH pricing inquiry. They are asking for full MSRP. Is this currently typical??
  • lzclzc Member Posts: 483
    No. Edmunds is saying the street price is about $400 less than MSRP. Check out fitzmall.com to see what one dealer with heavy internet sales is selling them for. But with gas prices headed ever higher, it's possible price discounting of the TCH may end. Some here were claiming to have bought '08s at invoice or less. But the scramble for cars with high mileage may soon be underway.
  • loves2readloves2read Member Posts: 48
    I think it totally depends on the area you are buying/living in

I sent out Internet quote requests when we started looking at TCH (and other cars) in DFW TX area
    One guy called me and when I asked what price he was quoting he said the list price--nothing under MSRP--I told him I had another local dealer offer 3000 off a fully loaded 09TCH when we were on the lot doing a test drive---took his breath away

he actually said that was a good deal and I should probably consider that car--
    well it was grey leather/exterior and not my color choice--and the dealer was not really doing any good on our trade-in--so we walked away and did not really get into negotiating...

Had another dealer give Internet quote of 30K off MSRP of 31976--and we eventually bought that car--but I think we could have gotten maybe a little more out of that deal either through our trade or just dealing a little harder...

there was another dealer we went to who had NO TCH on his lot at all--we drove a 4 cyl 09 ICE version the top of the line--which is pretty rare to get that in a 4--

it was a nice car but there was just not quite as much boost as the hybrid 4 has--
    he said his wholesaler was offering 4300 off cars with certain option packages--which that car had--even before we started negotiating--so we through pretty hard about negotiating a purchase but decided on the TCH...

in some parts of the country where the economy is not as strong as it is in DFW area, dealers might be willing to go farther into price cut--but I don't think they are doing it here--TCH are selling too well
    I have watched the inventories at some local dealerships and I know the one we bought ours through has sold two others since Friday...as well as the one offering the 3000K discount--

I know that someone in my area has been trying to sell a PT Cruiser that was pretty much a clone of mine on Craigslist for several weeks--asking about 9600 for it--and can't get anyone to pay it--she is not getting that as a trade in I guess--
    we took less than that even though ones with more mileage are listed at higher at dealerships--they are listed more like 9500-11K--but our dealer won't keep this on their lot--they will wholesale it out--so both people want to make a profit on that sale...
  • bdt11bdt11 Member Posts: 3
    Is it normal for the A/C to be very slow (several minutes) to cool after sitting in the sun during hot weather, even with the ECO switched off? I never had this problem with my Lexus.
    make sure the closed car button is engaged--not the open air one

I don't know why the closed car is not engaged when the AC is on -- period--but apparently having fresh air and AC air is how people think the AC is supposed to work--which is stupid to me--I don't want to have UN-airconditioned air coming into my car when I am using gas/battery power to cool and maintain the A/C

when you press in that closed/car buttom--at least in my limited experience--there is a much higher compression noise until the car is cooled down...
  • suzemcsuzemc Member Posts: 3
    any one out there who has small children- needing room for 3 in the back- one in a regular car seat, one in a booster and one not needing either?
  • tbone0526tbone0526 Member Posts: 8
    I think once you start stacking a car seat and a booster in any car, it's going to get a little tight. I've had 3 kids in the back a few times (two 12 year-olds and an 8 year-old), and they're a little cramped without all the extra hardware.

I love my TCH, but it's mainly "my" car for commuting to work. If it was the primary car for the "family", it may not have been my first choice. I have a minivan to drive when I know I've got to cart a bunch of kids, or for long trips with lots of luggage, or whatever. You might want to consider the Highlander hybrid if it's in your budget. Also, I heard somewhere that Toyota intends to offer all their models in a hybrid version sooner or later, so maybe the Sienna isn't that far down the road?
  • wardcowardco Member Posts: 27
    In Pittsburgh, all 3 dealers in the North Hills are selling only at MSRP, no discounting. And none have cars in stock. Must put $500 down and wait for car to arrive. Same for the Prius.
  • limestone22limestone22 Member Posts: 1
    In Northern New York State, Watertown area, TCH's are scarce. I can't find one dealer with one 2009 in stock within 200 miles. Just ordered a 2009 with all the bells and whistles for full list price with $500 down. All the dealers I have talked to are also offering really low trade-in allowances. Hopefully mine will be here about the end of June.
  • wvgasguywvgasguy Member Posts: 1,405
    I don't think though that the TCH is any tighter in the back than any other mid size sedan. About all sedans I've seen lately seem like they are curved for the two outer passengers and the middle is not quite as comfortable. I do have a car seat in the back and it doesn't take up any more room than a larger person would. Two adults and a child in the middle have been more than acceptable for comfort.

Yes an SUV is great, but I don't see the TCH having any defeciencies that other sedans don't have.
  • suzemcsuzemc Member Posts: 3
    thanks- we already own an Odyssey (that I LOVE) and will be keeping, however need better MPG for all the driving I do. with the price of gas going up, with no end in sight, I think now is the time. we live in the bay area in CA and we seem to get hit with the highest gas prices first- its hovering around $4 where we are. UGH! I won't have all 5 of us all the time, but need to know if its possible when I do! :shades:
  • wardcowardco Member Posts: 27
    I grew up in Carthage, NY, sister still lives in Watertown. Think the TCH will be OK in the snow? I was thinking of a Prius for myself in the Pittsburgh, PA area, got turned off by the stories of poor traction in the snow.
  • pianoman1949pianoman1949 Member Posts: 1
    As we all know, the cost of a hybrid is very expensive. My question is this: Why does Toyota (or car manufacturers) have to have the upper model eg. Camry as their only model available as a hybrid?

I certainly don't need sunroofs, GPS's and a lot of other bells & whistles that come with most of these cars. Can't they just use Corollas or cheaper models? No, they wouldn't be making the money they are right now. Always the same thing...the bottom line...Thanks
    there are hybrids available w/o leather or nav systems--those were most of the ones on lots that we saw when we were looking for one in DFW area--
    they won't make one in Corolla because you can get a 4 cyl that has excellent milege anyway...
    they SHOULD make one for RAV4
    there is better battery storage room there than in Camry really
  • shazam3shazam3 Member Posts: 13
    Toyota doesn't make a hybrid version of Corolla because it would be competing with the Prius. The Camry is in a different bracket than the Prius due to size.
    Toyota loaded up their hybrid models with optional equipment because they wanted the profit on the options to help offset the cost of the hybrid system. This was especially true in early years, when volume production was just beginning.

I think they feared people wouldn't buy a basic hybrid LE model. The extra cost of the hybrid system would be very visible, and very expensive.

Now, with hybrids in demand and batteries in short supply, they have no incentive to change things, I'm afraid.
  • nkaizernkaizer Member Posts: 25
    So because I have a loaded TCH, not only can I get the credit for reducing my own carbon footprint, but I also can claim credit for subsidizing more economic-minded purchasers of stripped-down TCHs since Toyota makes so much more profit on mine, so as to allow them to build and sell a stripped-down TCH. I know it sounds like communism, plain and simple, but I'm happy to subsidize as many stripped-down TCHs as possible with just a few dollars for the necessities of life; leather, moonroof and Navi (even though the Navi sucks).

Support America, get more hybrids and small cars (i.e., Corolla, Yaris, etc.) on the road!
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    You are right it is just about business. Now at this time the largest number of buyers that want hybrids also want other amenities along with better fuel economy. A former Lexus or BMW buyer or Sequoia or Tahoe defectors want certain amenities in their vehicles. If they are willing to pay for them as they normally are then it's just good business to supply the more profitable demand.

Here's an alternate viewpoint. Toyota and Honda and Ford and GM have all reached an understanding not to intrude on each other's turf ( til now ) as the hybrids begin to reach the consciousness of the general population.
    Honda has the basic small vehicle hybrids
    Toyota and Ford have the midsized hybrids, but they don't compete directly against each other.
    GM has the big truck-based hybrids.

But to address your specific need there is a base model Camry Hybrid which has about the same equipment as an LE Camry. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles and it's priced at about $25500-$26000.
    there are hybrids available w/o leather or nav systems--those were most of the ones on lots that we saw when we were looking for one in DFW area--
    they won't make one in Corolla because you can get a 4 cyl that has excellent milege anyway...
    they SHOULD make one for RAV4
    there is better battery storage room there than in Camry really

...but then that hybrid would compete against the Ford Escape Hybrid, wouldn't it?

Actually I think the OP will be happy next January when Toyota presents it's hybrid outline for the next 6-10 yrs.
    Toyota doesn't make a hybrid version of Corolla because it would be competing with the Prius. The Camry is in a different bracket than the Prius due to size.

Think about this, slick marketing here.

What is the non-hybrid Prius?

The Prius is a compact/midsized 5-door hatchback 'tweener with a 4c ICE+HSD and room for 4 sitting adults.
    What other vehicle does Toyota sell that's a compact/midsized 5-door hatchback 'tweener with a 4c ICE but NO hybrid technology and room for 4 sitting adults? Not coincidentlally this vehicle is also priced $3500 less than the Prius, similarly equipped.
    So far, I don't think there is a "stripped" TCH, at least not in the sense of a base LE model. They all come pretty well equipped, save for the pkg with leather, moonroof, etc. Is NAV a separate option? I forget.
    There is a strippie TCH that has the AF package.
    It's has a single CD, Steel wheels, No BT, No SR, No Dual Auto Climate control.

It's an LE 'hybrid'.
    Interesting. "AF" pkg. Is Toyota hiding it on their web site? I didn't find it, although it looks like the '09s reduce the differences between the TCH and LE models.

Still, VSC and dual-zone auto climate (and a few minor things) were standard on the TCH web screen Toyota displayed.
  • craigetalcraigetal Member Posts: 7
    does anyone else have a 'problem' with the "recirculate" air button turning itself off from time to time? my 2009 does, at seemingly random occasisions; sometimes during driving use, sometime at restarting, etc.
    The TCH's climate system is automatic, to the point of overriding your recirc setting. It wasn't a feature I found desirable. But many settings, such as the seat belt warning buzzer and several climate-control settings, can be reprogrammed by your dealer. No charge.

Toyota has a web site that has lots of info about the TCH, it's options, and what features you can have reprogrammed.

http://www.toyotaiguide.com/content/07Camry/iGuide.htm

See "Other Features" then "Customizable Electronic Features."
  • bruser1bruser1 Member Posts: 31
    Could someone let me know if there are A/C controls on the steering wheel of the Hybrid please? I can't believe this vehicle doesn't have them. I've looked at the online brochures and I don't see the controls on the Hybrid, just the XLE's. Unbelievable. Thanks guy's.
  • bobgermanybobgermany Member Posts: 5
    Yes there is a mode and temp up and down control on the steering wheel. i don't seem to use it very much though.

While I'm posting...I own a 2007 and absolutely love the car. Everything about this car has been great. OK there are a couple of annoying rattles somewhere in the dash sometimes but we still love the car. My wife is the primary driver and we live just north of Fayetteville NC so pretty flat roads. We average 36-38mpg in the summer and 38-40mpg in the winter. We get our best mileage 39-40 with temperatures in the 60's and 70's. We both drive pretty conservately but don't baby it too much pulling out from a stop. I use lots of cruise control. Have a great day. Bob
    Thanks for the input Bob. I noticed you referenced an 07' model so I'm curious if the controls have been deleted on the newer models. If there are any 09' model owners that can tell me yea or nea on the steering wheel A/C controls please pass it along. It sounds trivial but the wife has her reasons, and I just follow orders.
    Bruce
  • nkaizernkaizer Member Posts: 25
    There are steering wheel temperature controls on a loaded 2009 TCH (on the left, below the steering wheel radio controls). I believe they are are standard on all 2007-2009 TCH models.
  • craigetalcraigetal Member Posts: 7
    does anyone else have a 'problem' with the "recirculate" air button turning itself off from time to time? my 2009 does, at seemingly random occasisions; sometimes during driving use, sometime at restarting, etc.
    See post #3130, which answered your first post of this problem. You can have the dealer reprogram your climate system to keep it from automatically changing your recirc setting.
    Thanks nkaizer!
    B