Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is "wrong" with these new subcompacts?

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Looks good to me.

I see a bit of Lancer in the greenhouse, but overall it definitely looks like a Chevy should.

The interior looks great. Consider the price class - IMHO this puts the Yaris to shame (I hate center-mounted gauges).
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    Got Lancer?
  • watkinstwatkinst Posts: 122
    Guess I'm Lucky

My wife will only drive a manual. She hates autos. Which greatly reduces our replacement vehicle options. Though I suspect it will be easy - the 1.8T jetta gets replaced with a decked out TDI 6spd. I doubt I would even need to say anything about it.
  • ingvaringvar Posts: 205
    Subaru knows their market and expand it to the new customers. I switched my IS350 to Legacy 3.5R and I'm happy, love my new car, better than my old Toyota.
  • ghuletghulet Posts: 2,628
    edited February 2010
    is the Impala being dropped, or at least replaced with something a little bigger (its design quite old at this point)? It's currently about the same size, and at almost exactly the same price point, as the Malibu, which makes it redundant. I agree with you re interior room, for both, though in the back seat I felt better in the Impala, maybe just because of the larger greenhouse (I'm a bit shorter than you, 6'0" and less 'leggy', though). I sat in the back of a Saturn Aura, basically the same as a Malibu, and wasn't too impressed with the space relative to the car's size.

I apologize if these questions have been answered, I'm not keeping up too well these days!
  • watkinstwatkinst Posts: 122
    Look at the new Subaru Legacy Sedan. The back seat space is lets say eye popping ha ha.

A friend just bought one because he's over 6ft tall and its the only sedan he could find where he could have his seat in the proper spot and a rear facing child seat behind him!

As for the car - runs circles around the competition on price and options.
    Didn't hurt that in Consumer Reports testing both engines were more fuel efficient than a similar Honda Accord (even with the AWD handicap).

Bringing this full circle, I'd like to see Subaru improve the mileage on the Impreza. Right now a Legacy 2.5i is actually more fuel efficient!
  • andre1969andre1969 Posts: 22,138
    I apologize if these questions have been answered, I'm not keeping up too well these days!

I gotta confess, I'm not keeping up like I used to, either. :blush:

I think the main reason I could fit better in the back of the Malibu/Aura is that I could splay my legs and straddle the seat in front of me, but I couldn't do that with the Impala, so I had to practically sit sideways. The seats in the Malibu/Aura do have those little cutouts in the back for your knees, but they're way too low for mine.

IIRC, the Impala's back seat is also a bit higher than the Malibu's, and sometimes I've found that actually makes it tighter for me, since my legs are now more straight-out, rather than angled upward, so I need more fore/aft room, or whatever they call that measurement.

I have to admit though, I've been a bit impressed with the Aveos I've sat in at auto shows. I know they're usually ragged on as miserable little cars, but I don't think they're that bad. While there's no denying that they're small cars, they're actually roomier inside than I thought they'd be.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Posts: 5,713
    edited February 2010
    2008+ Mitsubishi Lancer GTS

I'm thinkin' Mitsubishi has this thing down better than The General.

2012 Chevrolet Aveo

2011 Kia Soul Sport 5-speed

• andre1969andre1969 Posts: 22,138
    The Aveo is definitely an improvement over the current model, but I think you're right, that the Lancer looks better. I think part of the Aveo's problem is that the front-end is just too big for that car. The Lancer just seems better-proportioned, IMO...

I think it also helps that the Lancer's grille seems wider and larger, while the headlights are smaller and a bit more toned down. I also like the way the Lancer has that forward thrust to it, and with the overall shape of the upper and sub-grille, with its surround, evokes slight memories of the 1957-59 Chrysler 300 Letter Series cars.

Still, not a bad effort for the Aveo.
    Aveo is smaller and I've always felt like it's much harder to style very small cars.

Look at BMW - the 3 series looks fine. Apply the same style to the 1 series - it looks kinda dorky.

Though I agree - the Lancer is better executed.
  • tifightertifighter WAPosts: 1,395
    I'll be the oddball and say that I like the Aveo look better. I think the sense of width the design gives makes the car look substantial and sporty-two things that are usually not identified with the subcompact category. In any case, its a big step up versus the previous design in my eyes...

15 Leaf / 08 RDX

• kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 31,067
    ...in two different classes?

An Aveo doesn't compete with a Lancer or a Civic.... It's a Yaris or Fit... If you can buy that car for the low-mid teens, like the last one, it will be a big hit... Nice family resemblance to the Malibu..

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,693
    I agree, that car has suffered from looking like the cheap crappy subcompacts of the 90s, and the new one looks like a member of the family finally, even if it is a BIT overdone.

Still no news of the Polo.....will it or won't it for the U.S.? Have I missed a vital bit of news on that front?

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

• that The General is more so on the right track with this new world order Chevrolet Aveo. It makes the old Daewoo creation look more like a bad Matchbox car. If they keep its price down Chevy may just sell shipload after shiploads of those puppies.

2011 Kia Soul Sport 5-speed

• kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 31,067
    They'll have some competition, though..

At the car show, they had the new Mazda 2 and the new Ford Fiesta.. both nice looking sub-sub-compacts, in four door hatch form..

Are those built off the same platform? Unfortunately, they had them roped off on a viewing stand..

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• The Aveo looks better than the old one, but it now looks almost overdone to me.

I am waiting to experience the Fiesta a little bit and looking forward to the sport version. The Mazda2 at NAIAS seemed to have a very different feel to them, in styling and execution, and sitting inside. Neither car is ready, so I don't know what they brought in terms of prototypes to display.

How different was the VW Fox from the Polo from that time era? I remember the Fox wagon felt a lot like the Rabbit I used to drive occasionally.
    Lancer will compete with the Cruze, so you are correct, sir.

We were just noting the resemblance, though, especially the green house.

Mazda2 and Fiesta indeed share a platform. I'm curious to try both to see which drives sportier.
  • michaellnomichaellno Posts: 4,300
    Still no news of the Polo.....will it or won't it for the U.S.? Have I missed a vital bit of news on that front?

I thought I had read somewhere that VW will be bringing the Polo to the US in the next year or two.

A Polo GTI with the 1.4 TFSI would be quite fun, IMHO.
    I wonder if those require premium fuel?
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,693
    edited March 2010
    Doesn't matter - they would be a blast! Do you think they could keep it under $18K? I assume they would be built in Mexico.

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

I don't think so.

It would slot below the GTI, not not below the Golf.

The GTI is $24k, so I bet they would have to cut some costs just to keep it at $19,999.
  • bumpybumpy Posts: 4,435
    is going to be a FWD smart with a third seat and a CVT. No manual in sight.
    Price? MPG? Not yet I suppose?
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,886
    edited April 2010
    Don't remember seeing a price.

"It's front-wheel drive, powered by a 1.3-liter, 90-horsepower engine and should get around 38 mpg on the highway."

Note in the comments that people wonder who would want to drive it on the highway - so, what's the city mpg? 34?

2011 Scion iQ: A Smarter Smart? (Inside Line)

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

If they price it right it will kill the ForTwo in terms of sales.

I just hope they don't do this:

Base price: $9999
    Wheels: $1000
    Tires: $500
    A/C: $800
    Mirrors: $500
    etc.
  • plektoplekto Posts: 3,738
    I think that's a typo - is should get that combined and easily get in the 40-45mpg range highway.
  • alltorquealltorque Posts: 535
    ? MPG? Not yet I suppose?

Over here in UK it's known as the Toyota iQ.............no Scion brand here.

The 1.0 ltr / 67bhp minimotor gives an average of 65.7mpg, (Imperial), which looks like circa 55mpg US. Retail price starts at £9974.

The 97bhp version shows 58.7mpg, (Imperial), or 49mpg US and retails from £11260. In both cases an Auto 'box is shown as a £1000 option.

Hope that helps.
  • bumpybumpy Posts: 4,435
    I bet it's dumbed-down for the EPA. The smart can actually get 50 mpg highway in the real world, but the EPA says 41.
    That seems high but I know that US prices are always lower.