Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is "wrong" with these new subcompacts?

Comments

• to look at the cheaper '12 Ford Focus SE hatchback.

My NA Miata had 14" wheels. Replacement tires were dirt cheap, loved it. I didn't even have to care much about tread life. I think I replaced them twice, but again, it cost next to nothing.

Not looking forward to seeing the bill for 17"s this time. And I bet they don't last as many miles, as mentioned above.

Just go with 16" tires and you'll save a bundle. Plus you'll be able to get the 5-speed tranny and the "Goldfinger" color, too.

Bingo!

2011 Kia Soul Sport 5-speed

• steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,582
    edited February 2011
    Bigger wheels - that's not an upgrade in my book. Especially when you start playing in the woods up there. Lots of fun Forest Service roads just south of you. :shades:

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• yep, and right here in Kellogg there's a fun thing ta do, too. Ride the world's longest (3.1 miles) single-cab gondola ride.

• steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,582
    Is that the one that takes you to the various lots where that big internet dealer stores all the cars? :P

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Posts: 5,713
    edited February 2011
    right, that would be Dave Smith Motors. :blush: Here's a pic of the gondola ride. Cool beans!

Dave Smith has lots all over this little town. And they are looking to grow even more!

They go right over the clinic I'm working in. A few of the poles holding it up are in the parking lot I park in. In this picture you see the gondola just starting out. They have re-designed the outgoing buildings a lot-it is now a world-class resort. And they've overbuilt. One can buy a brand-new beautiful condo for only $40,000 right now. The realtors will be all over you like John Stockton on Gary Payton in the NBA playoffs if you call them now. They're hungry as Idaho Grizzly bears right now.

This little piece of Idaho is the shiz-nit, steve. And Coeur d' Alene is an easy hop over to go to Hasting's and read the latest car magazines. A match made in heaven for me. ;)

• ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    One has to wonder who is really behind the increase wheel size movement...

DUBS, sponsored by Bridgestone!

:D

Hope my tires don't cost a grand. Ouch.
    edited February 2011
    my Pirelli's are wearing right down. They would pass the Lincoln head penny test right now. But not in a few months.

Ohh-oh. Ouch!

That settles that. The 2013 Ford Focus SE hatchback in 5-speeds, "Goldfinger" color, and inexpensive 16" radials.

• fintailfintail Posts: 34,173
    The 18" PS2s on my car were over $1200, after rebate.

Eventually the 13" donuts on the old car are going to need replacement, I am thinking of finally getting correct wide whites. Even those will be a lot cheaper than the big rubber.
    Did a quick search, about $300-1400 for me, most in the $400-800 range. Plus shipping and mounting, though.

I'll search in detail later. I've only got 11k miles on mine, and my pace is very slow since I split my miles among two vehicles.
    You've got time then.

For modern cars I tend not to cheap out on tires...most MB enthusiasts seem to say Michelin are best, and they have been OEM on many models, so that's where I go.

Old car has a set of Les Schwab brand on it from back when I was in school and not looking to spend. They've held up fine, but the car is garaged and maintained.
    My summer tires are too grippy.

I used to be able to break the old NA Miata loose once in a while.

Not this one, not on public roads anyway.
    I don't have that problem in the E55...probably why the rears wore out :shades:

The old car can't even break traction on dry pavement
  • bumpybumpy Posts: 4,435
    Some of it is bling, but some is due to front brake rotors and calipers being much larger than they were 10 or 15 years ago.
    I don't have that problem in the E55...probably why the rears wore out

Ever played with the alignment specs? If it's mostly a highway cruiser, you could probably trade some handling ability for reduced tire wear.
    edited February 2011
    I've had it aligned a couple times, when a couple suspension pieces were replaced under warranty. The tires wear evenly from side to side, but the rears wore quicker than the fronts. I do drive it hard sometimes, I chalked it up to that. I just bought tires a few months ago, so I hope to get a few years in before I need them again.

Is there any reason a Camcord or Civrolla needs anything more than 15s?
  • michaellnomichaellno Posts: 4,300
    edited February 2011
    Is there any reason a Camcord or Civrolla needs anything more than 15s?

Other than for looks, no.

Of the three vehicles in our household, two of them have 15's (MINI and ION), the other has 17's (VUE).

In fact, I just put these on the ION earlier today:

Stock size - 15x7

EDIT - sorry about the large picture -- who knew they would display at actual size?
    Probably a lot nicer than the stock wheels - Saturn was notorious for some pretty weird or downright ugly wheels for some time.

I remember looking at a new Rolls back around 1999-2000, and it had 19" wheels - which seemed HUGE. Now, it's nothing special.
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 15,418
    no they don't.

I have 3 Hondas (well, 2 plus an Acura). All have 16" wheels. The 2000 TL and 2005 Accord even have the same size tires (205/60-16).

60 series? My lord, surprised the car doesn't just roll right over on the roof every time I hit an off ramp!

The odyssey is even taller. 235/65-16. Look like the tires on the Frieghtliner I drive sometimes.

but man, with the hideous road conditions now (pothole central) in this area, I want all the sidewall height I can get.

2015 Hyundai Sonata 2.4i Limited Tech (mine), 2013 Acura RDX (wife's) and 2007 Volvo S40 (daughters college car)

• michaellnomichaellno Posts: 4,300
    Probably a lot nicer than the stock wheels - Saturn was notorious for some pretty weird or downright ugly wheels for some time.

Actually, the stock wheels were steelies with wheel covers on them.

What's funny is that when we bought the ION, we were all set to get a silver one that had aluminum wheels on it - but discovered is was an '07 and didn't qualify for all the rebates. We found the gray '06 tucked in a back corner of the lot, equipped the way we wanted (and the preferred color), but it had the stock wheels.

Since the car was originally for our daughter, it wasn't that big of a deal. However, since it's now my DD, I wanted to bling it up just a bit. But, didn't want to go +1 since I had just gotten new tires a few months ago.
    I think as road conditions deteriorate across the nation due to negligent infrastructure maintenance, low prodile tires will become a harder sell.
    At least it didn't have the weird 4 spoke designs that were so prevalent, or some of the bizarre stuff they did in the 90s.

I think hubcaps can be decent sometimes...easier to keep clean anyway.
    The tires wear evenly from side to side, but the rears wore quicker than the fronts. I do drive it hard sometimes, I chalked it up to that.

Changing the toe and camber settings might get you more tread life. You'd have to hit up some Benz forums to find the details, though. Also depends on what tires you have. Running a mild alignment on full-blown summer tires might stretch your tire life from, say, 8,000 miles all the way to 10,000.
  • crkyolfrtcrkyolfrt Posts: 2,345
    edited February 2011
    I wish they would hurry up about it already. But I think there is still a pretty big market of suckers out there who hasn't figured out all the negatives yet.

In looking at numerous new vehicles of varying styles and price brackets, it seems like the new found goal of mfgrs is to wagon wheel the entire line. It is like 17" is hard to find on base cars.

Just because a guy wants a 16" with 60 or 65 series tires, doesn't mean he has no use for a power seat, or a highend audio.

I think I will probably stay put with my present ride which is drop-dead dependable, even if the seat is a killer.

I'll wait for the proverbial pendulum to finish its swing and will look forward to the middle downstroke again. Maybe there will be more diesel sticks by then too. Next will be the grave after that..
    They are all seasons - we don't have much of a full blown winter or summer here, few people change tires with the seasons. The car also has staggered wheels, so I can't do much in the way of rotating.

The previous set lasted a little over 20K, I expect the new ones to do the same. On forums I have read similar experiences.
    The pendulum will swing back, if anything because as globalization suffocates disposable incomes, the big tires simply won't be affordable. But it will be a slow correction. I still say it is 95% for looks - flashy wheels can distract from bland or ugly cars.
    edited February 2011
    You basically should get the smallest wheels that fit over your brake rotors. Often 15" is enough, but some (mainstream) cars would needs 16"s.

One thing, though, is that you may find better tire selection in the bigger sizes - higher speed ratings, more dry grip, etc.

20"s on a Venza or Murano, though? Pure style over substance. Imagine how much unsprung weight those suspensions have to fight with, unnecessarily. I bet the brakes would fit inside 16"s, 17"s max.
    Venza and Murano are classic cases of wheels distracting from ugly cars.

Most family cars or commuters don't need speed tires anyway.

I know my E55 can run 17s...the spare is a 17 (18 won't fit in the spare tire well, from what I've been told)
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 15,418
    not sure what some makers were thinking.

my accord (4 cyl) has nice, old fashioned, 60 series 16" tires. But Honda for some reason put V rated tires on it. I have no clue why, but they did.

not that big a deal, except some tire places will only put on what it came with for speed rating, and the same tire is usually more ($10-20) per tire V vs. H.

I did go with a store that was fine with putting on H rated (same load range), saving money. But now I have 3 H and 1 V (with 8K less miles), after one tire shredded on the highway shortly after (on a trip), and the store I found with that same tire put on a V not an H. same price, and if I hadn't looked, I never could have told!

they do usually where out slightly faster, so i guess they will all end upbald at the same time!

2015 Hyundai Sonata 2.4i Limited Tech (mine), 2013 Acura RDX (wife's) and 2007 Volvo S40 (daughters college car)

• nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,693
    edited February 2011
    That settles that. The 2013 Ford Focus SE hatchback in 5-speeds, "Goldfinger" color, and inexpensive 16" radials

Whatever happened to the Fiesta? It's out of the running? With the Fiesta I believe you have to go with the SES or an option package to get the 16s, otherwise you get 15s. But I tried both, and the 16s are well worth the extra money for the SES (other things inside get nicer with the SES too).

I bet a Fiesta SES with most of the trimmings except the NAV package will cost you the same as that Focus will once it has the options you want. And the Fiesta will handle better due to a shorter wheelbase and less weight. :shades:

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

edited February 2011
    that the Ford Fiesta is too small. So that pushes the car class to compact only for me right now. Subcompacts are just too small inside. The 2012 Ford Focus SE Hatchback in 5-speed manual form plus a decent stereo and the Goldfinger color is my latest choice for purchase in 2013.

Unless Mitsubishi makes a Hybrid Lancer GTS for 2013. I would be interested in test-driving one of those.