Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is "wrong" with these new subcompacts?

1319320321322323325»

Comments

• nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,691

Bad news about the next-gen Mazda2 (and the Yaris that will be based on it) and the new Honda Fit coming this fall are they will all be built in Mexico, as opposed to Japan where they are all built now.

Historically the Japanese (and most others) have done a bad job of transplanting their build quality to Mexican auto plants.

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

• iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Posts: 5,699

That is not the best of news. Might have to wait and evaluate the build quality for a bit.

2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS

• andre1969andre1969 Posts: 21,969

@iluvmysephia1 said: That is not the best of news. Might have to wait and evaluate the build quality for a bit.

Hey now, my 2012 Ram came from Mexico...don't put a curse on me, now! B)

• iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Posts: 5,699

Having said that, I can't see Honda or Toyota or Mazda putting up with shoddy quality of any of their cars made anywhere. If it's got their name on it, right? Right. That's how we need ta think about that, right, andre1969?

2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS

• steverstever Ex Yooper, just arrived in New MexicoPosts: 40,529

A reporter would like to speak to a car shopper under the age of 34 who is unsure whether you should lease or buy. If this is you, please send your daytime contact info to pr@edmunds.com by Friday, May 2, 2014 at 10 a.m. PT/1 p.m. ET.

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• benjaminhbenjaminh Posts: 1,766
    edited June 22

The all-new 2014 Mini, with its BMW-engineered 1.5 liter 3-cylinder turbo, is rated 42 mpg on the highway by the epa. Impressive!

But does anyone who owns one have any real-world results that equal that?

Ford's Ecoboost engines seem to have trouble meeting their epa ratings in the real world, and I'm wondering if the same is true here or not.