Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is "wrong" with these new subcompacts?

Comments

• snakeweaselsnakeweasel a Certified Edmunds Poster.Posts: 11,563
    Now I'd love to see an M1A2 Abrams with a rearview mirror!

Thats the model the French army uses, they have the rearview mirror so they can watch the battle.

Ducking and running

There are three types of people in this world. Those who are good at math and those who are not.

• fintailfintail Posts: 32,923
    That model also has seven reverse speeds and only one forward gear.
  • Ohhh french jokes I love these.

For sale 10,000 French assault rifles only dropped ONCE.
    Ohhh french jokes I love these.

Ok, how many French men does it take to defend Paris?

Answer: No one knows, it's never been done before.

There are three types of people in this world. Those who are good at math and those who are not.

• tiff_ctiff_c Posts: 531
    I've driven a tank but not an Abrams. I do fantasize about stealing one and letting it rip on Highway 17 out of Santa Cruz. Sure, I'd spend a lifetime in jail (maybe two) but it would make a statement to Caltrans. And I would get to San Jose faster in rush hour.

Yes, it'd be so great to just mow down all the big SUV's into flat pancakes, minus their owners of course.
    In the UK you can drive a tank legally on the road there. Funny how we have less freedom in the US than they do in the UK when it comes to cars. I guess that's what they get for paying high taxes on fuel.
    You can also drive an Ariel Atom to work, when it isn't raining, which it usually is.
    I wonder if the Atom now available in the US would be considered a Compact or a Subcompact?
  • Well call it luck or call it a message from god but no sooner did I mention I'd like to drive a tank through traffic when lo and behold I see this bumper sticker on a truck in front of me:

Don't postpone your dreams

it said....

And then I see this ad, for a mere $130,000....

http://www.tankride.com/images/Russian%20Panzer%20For%20Sale.JPG

I mean, this CAN'T be a co-incidence.
    One of my Favorite quotes made about the French was actually made by Donald Rumsfeld ...

"Going to war without France is like going duck hunting without your accordion".
    Well call it luck or call it a message from god but no sooner did I mention I'd like to drive a tank through traffic when lo and behold I see this bumper sticker on a truck in front of me:
    Don't postpone your dreams
    it said....
    And then I see this ad, for a mere $130,000....
    http://www.tankride.com/images/Russian%20Panzer%20For%20Sale.JPG
    I mean, this CAN'T be a co-incidence.

No it can't, it's fate, buy it! Oh can I commute with you when you get your WW2 Tiger Tank? :D
    It's a diesel so it gets good economy.... for a 50 ton Battle tank. :shades:
  • Well the tanks I used to re-fuel in the Army got 3 gallons to the mile. I used to scold the crews for being "leadfoots". I think they took 300 gallons, not sure, it's been so long. Then we'd pull off the line and watch them firing in echelon and blow stuff up. It made for a nice picnic. A bit noisy though. Hard to nap.

I bet if Toyota built our tanks they'd get much better fuel mileage and you could go through a whole war without a warranty claim.
    Well the tanks I used to re-fuel in the Army got 3 gallons to the mile. I used to scold the crews for being "leadfoots". I think they took 300 gallons, not sure, it's been so long. Then we'd pull off the line and watch them firing in echelon and blow stuff up. It made for a nice picnic. A bit noisy though. Hard to nap.

Well, I guess the US can afford that kind of economy for their tanks. Most tanks seem to use diesel I wonder why we have gas instead?

I bet if Toyota built our tanks they'd get much better fuel mileage and you could go through a whole war without a warranty claim.

Maybe but I don't think I'd want a Camry M2A4 Battle Tank with a Hybrid engine in it. Imagine the size of the battery! :D
    Would an APV be based on a Corolla platform?
    Probably they'd sell tanks under the Scion brand for the hip, new, modern Gov't military. LOL! :shades:
  • Well, I guess the US can afford that kind of economy for their tanks. Most tanks seem to use diesel I wonder why we have gas instead?

I think in the past, they were busy making aircraft that only needed to complete 1 mission...
    In the UK you can drive a tank legally on the road there.

The only thing that would stop you from driving one here is size and weight. The metal tracks would also pose a problem but they make rubber pads that you can put on them to solve that issue.

I think in the past, they were busy making aircraft that only needed to complete 1 mission...

I think that was Mitsubishi.

• Well, I guess the US can afford that kind of economy for their tanks. Most tanks seem to use diesel I wonder why we have gas instead?

Well the M1A1 uses a gas turbine engine that can run on just about any fuel. Gas mileage isn't so great but the turbine engine is very light weight.

The M1's relatively high mobility is achieved through a high power-to-weight ratio conferred by its 1,500-hp gas turbine powerplant. It is compact, starts more readily than a diesel, but has lower fuel mileage. In tanks produced after mid-1990, an Allied-Bendix digital electronic fuel control system is claimed to reduce fuel consumption by 18%-20%. Development of a recouperator that uses exhaust gases to preheat air entering the engine's compressor is also aimed at reducing fuel consumption. Moreover, the Army claims that the AGT-1500 is much more reliable than a diesel, noting a fivefold increase in average hours of operation before an overhaul compared to the standard U.S. tank diesel.

Source

The Bradley uses a diesel engine but it makes about half the horsepower which is why the Bradley had lighter weight aluminum armor initially.
    In the UK you can drive a tank legally on the road there.

The only thing that would stop you from driving one here is size and weight. The metal tracks would also pose a problem but they make rubber pads that you can put on them to solve that issue.

Yes I think you have to have the rubber treads on the tracks otherwise you'd chew the road to bits.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Love where this thread is going... :D
  • It's all my fault, too. How embarrassing. :blush:

Well, let's veer back onto the topic before they cancel my Christmas gift.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Are they giving away those dropped rifles? :D

Hopefully a car-themed gift.
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,669
    are they going to start selling that VW Up! model? Now there's a subcompact! Word is subcompacts have been so hot in the last year that VW is going to develop an Up! 5-door for sale in the States.

Rear-engined, rear-drive, I get a kick out of just thinking about it. :-)

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

Tanks for getting us back on topic,