Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is "wrong" with these new subcompacts?

Comments

• bumpybumpy Posts: 4,435
    It's not that big of a deal. Just plan out your spot, drop down a gear or two, then drop the hammer on it. If that's not enough for you, there is the turbo kit.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Should be fine for a city car, where 0-40 is all that matters, just to get out of people's way.

Where it would feel slow would be passing on the highway, 50-70 maybe, though hopefully the owner isn't driving often on those kinds of roads.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,452
    i work across the river, about a mile as the crow flies, from a 'smart' dealer.
    maybe i have seen 4 or 5, ever.
    last weekend i saw one for sale up in litchfield.
    it was sitting in the yard with grass growing around it, like many other cars that have been waiting for a buyer for a while.
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,669
    Headed to LA with some friends last weekend in their Sienna, there we were, cruising along around 75 mph, got passed by a Smart car! And it was way out in the middle of nowhere too, it was clearly someone making the trek from SF to LA like us.

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

• thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    The only time I ever see Smarts on the road are on I-65, typically traveling 65+ mph. When my 130hp '96 Accord is working hard climbing Shades Mountain in Birmingham, AL, I wonder how the little Smart is making it.
    I saw one today on my way in. I was in my Miata, top down, enjoying the drive.

I can't help but think - why would you get a Smart when leftover 08 Miatas have a $5000 incentive tied to them right now? I doubt I paid significantly more than that Smart owner did.
  • igozoomzoomigozoomzoom Waleska, GeorgiaPosts: 790
    I live about an hour north of Atlanta in a small college town. There are a few kids at the college who drive a Smart and I hate getting stuck behind them. It's very hilly in this area and they drop down to 40-45 going up one of the bigger hills, despite the 55mph limit. It's happened twice so far! Thankfully, there's a spot to make a quick pass just before and after that hill...and I can get around them without even taking my Mazda3 out of 5th gear.

The Smart makes a great city car- tiny, easy to park in tight spaces, adequate power for in-town driving. But if you routinely drive on highways/interstates or any long distances, the Nissan Versa would be cheaper to buy, a lot faster and more comfortable and gets 34mpg highway.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    With three Hondas in my driveway, dating from 1996 to 2006, and a 2007 in my parents possession, I can say honestly I've never heard of any A/C issues, other than a few complaints about rocks hitting the condensers and making holes in them, destroying them.

No representation is made that the quality of air conditioning services provided by vehicles produced by Honda of America is better than that of air conditioning services provided by alternate automobile manufacturers.

Paid shills? Please... I see you're a relatively new poster here. Just a friendly heads-up to ya... hosts will remove posts with personal attacks. :shades:

Happy Hon...I mean Motoring.
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,986
    This isn't the Honda AC problems discussion. That would be the Honda CR-V AC Compressor Issues discussion.
    Goes 40mph, and gets 70 miles per gallon. And it's street legal.

World’s Tiniest Car
    There is NO WAY that's street legal! :-P

No worries about HUMMERs. Just drive right under them. Maybe duck a little. :)
    And there I was hoping you were pointing to a description of some new Honda, smaller than Fit, that we would be getting in the U.S.! If only....

:-(

If he did drive under a Hummer, he'd have a convertible, and then there would at least be enough head room! :D
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Posts: 5,663
    this little Baskerville.

Kia No.3

Today I found out the No.3 will come with a standard 6-speed manual tranny. This little subcompact would be a good one to make a return to the manual transmission with. I'd get the colors pictured on this No.3, too. ;)

There's only one small problem, carnuts. The No.3's not coming to the U.S.

2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS

It's hard to tell the scale...is that Yaris sized, or smaller?

Sure beats the Korean-made Aveo5.
  • plektoplekto Posts: 3,707
    Its Yaris sized. Has a TDI engine in it, which is why it won't be for sale in the U.S.

It should get 46mpg or so, converting a similar sized TDI engine in another KIA/Hyundai in the U.K., to U.S. gallons.
    Crash Test Video: Tata Nano (Straightline)

Doesn't look too bad, all things considered.
    Seemed to do well IMHO also. I'd like to see more data and a better camera angle while we're asking for more.
  • aladdinsanealaddinsane Posts: 182
    Howdy all...
    According to the September issue of Motor Trend magazine the 2010 Yaris will gain traction/electronic stability control as standard equipment. This is great, if it's true. I see nothing about this "gain" anywhere online with what little research I've done. Can anyone in the know out there confirm this? At times I doubt MT is really on the beam, so to speak. I do know that upper level versions of Nissan's '10 Versa and Sentra get stab/esc. I'm surprised Toyota didn't include these safety features in the first place with the Yaris. :confuse:
    Please inform. I'd really appreciate it.
    Many thanx...
    Peace!<-AladdinSane<- :shades: