Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is "wrong" with these new subcompacts?

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    It'll be interesting to see how they price it.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,447
    your sweetie does have a way with words.
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,950
    "If you ever wondered what the world would look like if we all ditched our cars, visit the Villages. Designed from the ground up as a golf cart community, it has developed into something even more compelling: a town where cars don't isolate people from each other, but rather bring them together.

On a full charge, carts can cover about 45 miles, more than enough to handle a day's worth of leisure. Just about everything a retiree could need is contained within the 40 square miles of the community. Each neighborhood—or Village—is clustered around a recreational center, golf course, and pool. And it's just a short ride to one of the 12 fishing lakes or 85 horseshoe pits or 115 bocce courts."

Tricked-Out Golf Carts Swarm Florida Communities (Wired)
    The guy in the model A clone looks like he should walk - he could stand to lose a few pounds. ;)

My wife's aunt just moved out of one of those retirement communities. She felt isolated from anyone except other retirees.
  • alltorquealltorque Posts: 535
    You get the award for "Understatement of The week". :)
  • alltorquealltorque Posts: 535
    I have no idea as to what mods the Fiesta will carry to USA vs the EU Fiesta but if you want a look at what we can get, here in UK, go to the link. You might like a little glance at the Focus RS too............uses what is basically the Volvo T5 engine. Whilst you're browsing, have a look at the pricing and spare a tear for us poor Brits.

BTW, that lurid green that Ford keep showing the Fiesta in is amazingly popular here; mainly in the retirement sector for some obscure reason.............maybe so's they can spot their car in poor light with failing eyesight (?) Not that I have any room to talk on that front. :D

Ford UK Specs
    click on this link

scroll to the bottom. look for 'mustang talk'.
    click on 'mustang stories & films'
    click the 'mustang films' tab
    select the one with the picture of the guy with windblown hair (Father's Day)
    that and 'Numskull', first one top left are my favorites.

i hope they do the same type of thing for the Fiesta.
    Same idea as BMW Films. Guy Ritchie directed one of those (Star), even funnier IMHO.

The Father's Day one was clever, if a little long. They should edit the length down a bit.
    ok movie critic. 'Star' was pretty funny, but personally i like the BMW 'Ambush' film better although the 7 Series is pretty much the opposite of a sub compact.
    Ha ha :P

We actually do have a movie reviews thread, somewhere...
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,669
    is getting into the microcar game, with a new model here in the U.S. in about two years priced and sized below Versa:

Tokyo auto show: Nissan plans new low-cost model below the Versa for U.S.

....The small platform will yield three models: a four-door sedan, a five-door hatchback and a multipurpose vehicle. They will replace the subcompact Micra that is now sold in markets around the world other than the United States.

-- The new platform will see a 50-percent improvement in fuel economy over the current Micra. The cars will come with both gasoline and diesel engines, depending on local market demand.

....The new platform will be manufactured at five plants around the world, he said, launching first in Thailand in March 2010.

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20091020/TOKYO/910209996

It seems like if all the talk right now pans out, the Smart Car is going to have a lot of company in the U.S. by 2012 or so....

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

• oregonboyoregonboy Posts: 1,653
    I think that we need a bump in gas prices if micros are to survive in the US market. Given the 2-year time frame for their introduction, I am pretty sure that we will get it. :(
  • microcar in your link there shows a micro car that looks a bit sportier-tiny than their current micro the Micra. Not a bad micro-shape.

2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS

• Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,950
    "Ford CEO Alan Mulally said the company won't bring the Ka minicar to the U.S. He told the trade paper that the Ka is too small for American tastes and the Fiesta will be the smallest car in the lineup."

Ford Ka Not Coming to the U.S. Says CEO (Inside Line)

• Another mistake, this time for Ford...
    This suit, Mulally, is mistaken...when petrol prices begin to rise this type of vehicle will again be in vogue...the Smart and Toyota's new micro will continue to clean up in this niche, so to speak.
    "What fools these mortals be"...
    lol
    Peace!<-AladdinSane<- :shades: -
  • tifightertifighter WAPosts: 1,350
    I think its the right call for the current market. The Fiesta is already subcompact/Fit sized...the only things from the supermini class in the US market are the smart, the Aveo and maybe a 2 door Yaris. All of which are available, with incentives, at your local dealer right now.

Ford needs to focus on making the Fiesta a success without distractions...
  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel a Certified Edmunds Poster.Posts: 11,563
    I think it is a mistake on Fords part not to bring the Ka over sometime after the Fiesta. Once the economy starts to pick up I can see gas climbing again and Ford could use it then.

There are three types of people in this world. Those who are good at math and those who are not.

• tifightertifighter WAPosts: 1,350
    Conceptually, I agree. But I think the subcompact category has the best chance of volume in the US, just like its the bigger category in Europe. VW can barely bring itself to ship the Polo (subcompact) here, much less the Fox/Lupo class.

Anyhow, this is Ford were talking about, and bringing over their Euro cars has not exactly been a lay-up in the past. Remember the first few years of the Focus? Or the Contour? The XR4Ti and Scorpio were disasters, if you really go far back. Anyhow, they need to get the Fiesta right...ported over from Europe with the same level of quality from that market. They can't have the same recall problems that plagued the Focus at rollout; many US consumers won't be forgiving to ANY US car company now after public money started flowing (yes I know Ford didn't take public money). I hope they get it right...
  • plektoplekto Posts: 3,706
    While I commiserate with those who say it's a bad move, the reality is that the average injury rating for most sedans is in the 120/100 range due to a heavy skewing by heavier SUVs and trucks on the road. The Yaris comes out at almost a 200 score, while a 4Runner is around 60 last I checked.

http://www.iihs.org/research/hldi/composite_cls.aspx?y=2006-2008

4Runner 4x4 72 56 66 (and this isn't nearly as big as a Surburban or Land Cruiser)
    Yaris(4 door) 207 192 134

They could bring it over, but it's so badly outclassed that it would result in a greater that 4:1 imbalance between itself and a typical SUV in a crash., since it is a class smaller than even a Yaris. If you look at the actual aftermaths of Smart Car crashes versus SUVs, as well as it is engineered(probably the best in the whole world right now, actually, in terms of crash safety), it just can't compete. 5000+ lbs just obliterates 2000lbs every time. The Smart car is safe versus normal vehicles in Europe. Just these metal v8 behemoths that are everywhere over here are something it was never designed to cope with.

It's not a bad decision for Ford to say "too small - people will get killed".

EDIT: I used to be firmly in the small car crowd for almost two decades. But in the last decade or so I've come to the realization that big is the game in the U.S., and you're an idiot not to put as much metal between yourself and these things as you can reasonably manage. I'd personally not buy any car smaller than a Civic given what I see driving around next to me.

Note - that a Civic can get roughly 40mpg highway AND still be acceptably safe is a testament to Honda's engineering and goals.