Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is "wrong" with these new subcompacts?

Comments

• Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,964
    Bummer about the Intrepid Andre. You could bring it out here and park it next to my project car (also a convertible).

• ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    I guess yours would compete with the rumored Smart SUV. ;)
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    Sweet rims.
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,964
    I'm storing the hemi in the garage out of the weather. :)

Here comes Mercedes:

"Under its tentative plan, Mercedes would import by 2012 at least one of four next-generation compact models it will start selling in Europe in late 2011, Daimler CEO Dieter Zetsche said in an interview with The Wall Street Journal. These diminutive Mercedes would go head to head with an expanding field of premium small cars in the U.S., including the A3 from Volkswagen AG's Audi unit and BMW AG's 1 series and Mini Cooper."

Mercedes Plans a Small-Car Volley (Wall St. Journal)
  • fintailfintail Posts: 32,910
    These things were surprisingly popular in Germany, given their price premium over other small cars (pic is from the big MB dealer adjacent to the MB museum):

I don't know if that would translate to NA though.

Now, this is what ya need to replace the Intrepid with. You'd be styling with the best of them!

2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS

• That car should be called STUPID. I have a ridng lawnmower bigger then a Stupid car. What kind of idiot would drive a car that small and drive it on I290? You are risking your life driving that car, it is way to small.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 16,894
    Well, it at least offers more protection than a motorcycle. :P

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '08 Town&Country

• To each their own, dhw...You don't dig the Smart? Great! Speak for yourself. Drive your tank or whatever it is that gets you around and leave those drive a Smart alone. Anytime you get in an automobile and drive you're always at risk, no matter how large or gruesome your ride may be sizewise.

Peace!<- :shades: -
    What kind of idiot would drive a car that small and drive it on I290?

Two responses to the same question:

Consider that its a car designed for urban use, primarily.
    The same idiot who is single and buys a Suburban despite living and commuting in NYC.
  • So true, graduate!

How about the oaf who drives a Escalade solo, to impress as a status symbol?

Oy...

"What fools these mortals be"...

Peace!<-AladdinSane<- :shades: -
    I said this from the beginning, but cars that small need a little help to sustain sales in the USA. I'm thinking open access to car pool lanes or free/reduced parking, something like that.
    I'm thinking open access to car pool lanes or free/reduced parking, something like that.

I'm with you only if the mileage benefit is there (33/41 enough to do that?). That's a 6mpg improvement over the comfy Corolla.
  • andre1969andre1969 Posts: 21,590
    Well, presuming you do mostly highway driving and get 35 with the Corolla, 41 with the Smart, over the course of 10,000 miles, you save about 42 gallons of fuel.

Plus, in the real world you can probably beat those figures without too much trouble. Before the EPA dumbed the numbers down, the Corolla was rated at 38 highway. I don't know what the Smart would have been rated at, as I don't think it became available until after the EPA started with those lower numbers. But if you could get 45 mpg out of a Smart, you'd still save about 42 gallons per 10K miles, versus a Corolla.

Might be worth it for some people, but not for me. (although I'd prefer a Civic to a Corolla...just feels a bit more comfy to me)
    Not just the mileage, but mostly the space it occupies.

It takes only half the parking spot, so it could pay half.

Also, motorcycles can go on HOV lanes with just 1 rider.
  • bumpybumpy Posts: 4,435
    I got 42 mpg for a yearly average in mine, and it will hit 50 mpg on straight highway cruises in the summer.
    Not just the mileage, but mostly the space it occupies. It takes only half the parking spot, so it could pay half.

I can see myself being a laughing stock for suggesting that at just about any paid parking structure/lot here in Birmingham, AL. I usually agree with ya juice (on just about everything, really!), but I don't here. The Smart doesn't have any similar sized friends to give the other "half" of a parking spot to; all spaces tend to be the same size. Those that aren't are still big enough for your Sentrollavic, which get to pay full price.

I like your concept, and its logical, if not feasible where I live.
  • The Smart doesn't have any similar sized friends to give the other "half" of a parking spot to; all spaces tend to be the same size.........

That's true and here in AngloEUroland you pay for the space regardless of the vehicle size. However, you could park your SMART in the middle of a space and help avoid the usual car-park dings caused by other drives opening their doors rather too enthusistically - and, oh, how I hate the parents who let their beloved offspring literally kick open their car door so it bounces of the adjacent car's bodywork...................then walk away :mad:

My only gripe with the SMART is the hope it gives me in crowded car-parks. You know the situation; cruising around and no apparent spaces then, whooppee you look down one of the lines and there's a space. Boy I'm good; everyone else has missed that one ! So, on the gas, (well, diesel), and head down the row. Set up for a rapid turn in, (that's rather a relative term in a Volvo S60; akin to nipping into a berth with a supertanker), and Darn It, there's a SMART parked all the way into the space and you're now faced with having to manoeuver out again and look like an idiot. Recently had this at an airport. Saw the "space" thought nah, it's half full of SMART or somesuch, and just cruised down the row feeling really smug. But, it was an empty space and the guy tailgating me got it. Aaaaaarrrrggghhhh. These things should have a flagstaff on the roof to identify them. :)

O.K., enough of non-rant. Things not to do, coffee to drink, time to waste. Gosh it's hard being retired. :shades:
  • andre1969andre1969 Posts: 21,590
    That's true and here in AngloEUroland you pay for the space regardless of the vehicle size.

The Smart isn't going to do you much good in any type of metered parking, or any situation where you have parking spaces that are marked by lines. In some situations, having a Smart might even make things worse. For instance, if you parallel park in a lined space, having plenty of room on either end, someone else could come along, park way over the line. You might still have enough room to get out, but then that space would be unuseable for anything but another Smart, or maybe a motorcycle. So, not a bad thing for the Smart owner, but bad in the overall scheme of things.

However, there are a lot of places where you can parallel park at the curb, but the spaces are not marked. Often with these, people get lazy and leave too much room between themselves and the car in front or behinds, and over time as cars come and go, you end up with gaps that are unusable for the most part. But might be just big enough to get a Smart in.

And yeah, I hate that, when you see what you think is an open space, but it turns out there's some small car (not always a Smart...I've seen vans and SUVs successfully hide much larger cars) or a motorcycle pulled way up in there. If I had a small car or motorcycle, I'd think that it would be best to position it so other drivers DO see it. Otherwise you run the risk of someone just whipping into the parking spot and smacking into you. And I know from experience, that if that happens, most likely they're not going to admit their guilt and leave a note on your now-smashed parked car. :mad:
  • I did suggest that to a parking lot at the beach once with my MINI because it really doesn't take up a whole spot and they don't have defined spots in their lot anyway.

I was like hey this car doesn't take up a full spot so you shouldn't' charge me full price. They wouldn't go for it and my wife was giving me the, 'stop trying to negotiate everything,' look so I dropped it and just paid full price.