Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is "wrong" with these new subcompacts?

Comments

• hpmctorquehpmctorque Posts: 4,118
    edited February 2011
    A third negative tradeoff of large diameter wheels/shorter sidewall tires is that they typically don't last as long as the smaller diameter/taller sidewall sets.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Posts: 5,663
    edited February 2011
    the 2011 Alfa Romeo Giulietta that I was taking a look at is now scratched and we may get a MiTo subcompact instead. A MiTo, you might ask?

Until mid-2009, Alfa contemplated bringing the Giulietta to North America after the face-lift in spring 2014, but this plan is currently being revised. The latest word is that Alfa will now prioritize the all-new Giulia that replaces the 159 (in 2012), the five-door MiTo subcompact (in 2013), a BMW-X1-sized crossover based on the C-platform (also 2013), a bigger SUV derived from the C/D components set (in 2014), and a new rear-wheel-drive roadster and coupe designed along the lines of the iconic Duetto and the first-generation GTV. Also on its way is a modular plug-in hybrid system that will be introduced top-down, starting with the next-generation Maseratis. The only new Alfas that may not cross the Atlantic are the Giulia Sportwagon and the Giulietta replacement. All U.S.-bound platforms are being developed in Europe.

http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews/driven/1103_alfa_romeo_giulietta/index.html- - - - -

Alfa Romeo is interested in building a flagship RWD sportscar in 2013, after thinking it over longer and harder how they will build the car to make the biggest impact and bring the most value and racecar ability to the table.

2010 Alfa Romeo MiTo

And so the saga continues. Since I'm right here in Kellogg, ID, home of Dave Smith Motors, the dealership that sells more Mopar product than any other dealer in the world, I might as well take a long look at Chrysler's version of the Alfa Romeo Giulietta. Chrysler is working on the car now and will run it down the production line at their Belvidere, IL, plant just as soon as the L.A. Lakers figure out how to win again....I...I mean Chrysler is working on this car now as I type this out! This news may mean that Chrysler's new Fiat/Alfa-derived subcompact is being revised as well. So I'll wait and see. I'm not in the market until sometime in 2013 at the earliest.

Can't wait ta see this pup...Chrysler...in their fine tradition of selling more affordable small cars, will probably sell their version of MiTo/Giulietta/lopscause for something much more in the range of $14,999 to about $21,000 fully loaded. And I can walk down the hill to pick my Dodge up!

Such a deal! When you drive down Cameron Ave. in Kellogg, ID, the salespeople expect you ta stop on a dime for them, they walk out in to the street with their backs to you and you betta not hit them...they're special Dave Smith agents. ;)

2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS

• ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    My NA Miata had 14" wheels. Replacement tires were dirt cheap, loved it. I didn't even have to care much about tread life. I think I replaced them twice, but again, it cost next to nothing.

Not looking forward to seeing the bill for 17"s this time. And I bet they don't last as many miles, as mentioned above.
  • my Pirelli's for the '08 Lancer GTS came to $814 bucks at Sears in Tucson. Yikes! But the Pirelli P-Zero Nero M+S Pinna's are great tires. I would buy them again, after saving up for about 6 months, that is!

The trade-off comes in handling and traction and good looks. I noticed the '12 Ford Focus I clipped a picture of online earlier this morning had 18" Michelin Pilots. Those would run just as much or more as my Pirelli's would.

• fintailfintail Posts: 32,907
    Oh yeah...20K miles out of the 18s on my car is about as good as you'll get.

I ran the last set down til the rears were pretty much bald.
    Might be a cool upgrade from a 500 too.
    One has to wonder who is really behind the increase wheel size movement...
    edited February 2011
    I prefer their looks. That's why if I do get a '12 Ford Focus I would no doubt go for a Titanium, because that one has the 18" wheel upgrade.

2012 Ford Focus Titanium

Only thing is is you can only get an automatic tranny with the Titanium series. DSG "double-clutch" automatic transmission. I absolutely love this gold color, though, and if I bought an SE with a 5-speed stick and saved with the manual tranny I would still need to deliver about $430 bucks for the "Goldfinger" color. Which I would wait for Lake City Ford of Coeur D' Alene to get in stock for me before buying. Next color choice down would be their red.

That gold has me hook, line and sinker!

Those are more $1000+/set 20K mile tires, beware of that.

But anyway, cool car yes, so much better than the current model. The 5 door was always the best model too.
  • which brings ta mind. I want the hatchback like the gold one above. No sedan with this pup. It will handle better and it just looks better than the sedan. I thought I wanted a Fiesta sedan but again with the Fiesta the hatchback just looks a lot better.

• to look at the cheaper '12 Ford Focus SE hatchback.

My NA Miata had 14" wheels. Replacement tires were dirt cheap, loved it. I didn't even have to care much about tread life. I think I replaced them twice, but again, it cost next to nothing.

Not looking forward to seeing the bill for 17"s this time. And I bet they don't last as many miles, as mentioned above.

Just go with 16" tires and you'll save a bundle. Plus you'll be able to get the 5-speed tranny and the "Goldfinger" color, too.

Bingo!

• Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,938
    edited February 2011
    Bigger wheels - that's not an upgrade in my book. Especially when you start playing in the woods up there. Lots of fun Forest Service roads just south of you. :shades:
  • yep, and right here in Kellogg there's a fun thing ta do, too. Ride the world's longest (3.1 miles) single-cab gondola ride.

• Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,938
    Is that the one that takes you to the various lots where that big internet dealer stores all the cars? :P
    edited February 2011
    right, that would be Dave Smith Motors. :blush: Here's a pic of the gondola ride. Cool beans!

Dave Smith has lots all over this little town. And they are looking to grow even more!

They go right over the clinic I'm working in. A few of the poles holding it up are in the parking lot I park in. In this picture you see the gondola just starting out. They have re-designed the outgoing buildings a lot-it is now a world-class resort. And they've overbuilt. One can buy a brand-new beautiful condo for only $40,000 right now. The realtors will be all over you like John Stockton on Gary Payton in the NBA playoffs if you call them now. They're hungry as Idaho Grizzly bears right now.

This little piece of Idaho is the shiz-nit, steve. And Coeur d' Alene is an easy hop over to go to Hasting's and read the latest car magazines. A match made in heaven for me. ;)

One has to wonder who is really behind the increase wheel size movement...

DUBS, sponsored by Bridgestone!

:D

Hope my tires don't cost a grand. Ouch.
    edited February 2011
    my Pirelli's are wearing right down. They would pass the Lincoln head penny test right now. But not in a few months.

Ohh-oh. Ouch!

That settles that. The 2013 Ford Focus SE hatchback in 5-speeds, "Goldfinger" color, and inexpensive 16" radials.

The 18" PS2s on my car were over $1200, after rebate.

Eventually the 13" donuts on the old car are going to need replacement, I am thinking of finally getting correct wide whites. Even those will be a lot cheaper than the big rubber.
    Did a quick search, about $300-1400 for me, most in the $400-800 range. Plus shipping and mounting, though.

I'll search in detail later. I've only got 11k miles on mine, and my pace is very slow since I split my miles among two vehicles.
    You've got time then.

For modern cars I tend not to cheap out on tires...most MB enthusiasts seem to say Michelin are best, and they have been OEM on many models, so that's where I go.

Old car has a set of Les Schwab brand on it from back when I was in school and not looking to spend. They've held up fine, but the car is garaged and maintained.