Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Modern Muscle with Classic Names

Comments

• john_324john_324 Posts: 974
    I frankly was surprised they didn't work that into the first one. Like by the end, the Duke boys would total the '69 in some grand jump over all of Hazzard county's police cars, and get an '06, which they'd remark needs a paint job. :)

The good part about that movie was that it managed to replicate the tv show very well. The bad part was that it managed to replicate the tv show very well. Hollywood, enough with the remakes...hire some writing talent, eh?
  • rockyleerockylee Posts: 14,011
    Agree....If they can line-up ol Jessica, in another set of Daisy's I'm sure a Dukes of Hazzard 2 would do ok at the box office. Perhaps they can find a way to get Paris Hilton in a pair. :blush:

Rocky
  • andre1969andre1969 Posts: 21,594
    Hollywood, enough with the remakes...hire some writing talent, eh?

Is there even any such thing as a "New" movie anymore? Yesterday I went to see "The Hills Have Eyes", and saw that "The Shaggy Dog" was playing in the same theatre. Gawd, is there any movie/tv show out there that HASN'T been remade?!

BTW, I thought one of the best parts of the Dukes movie was when they got caught in the traffic jam going into Atlanta, and everybody was making disparaging remarks about the flag painted on the roof! That whole anachronism/out of their element thing made me think of the "Brady Bunch" movie! It was also pretty funny when Bo was sitting in the General, by himself, and started singing along to an old Air Supply song. Remind me again why they were so big in the 80's? :confuse:
  • One of my fave bits of the movie is when Bo was trying to get away from Atlanta PD and he drifted the roundabout. He did manage to get away from them in the end (as always!).
  • zr1zorazr1zora Posts: 1
    hey z28convertible didyou ever find a car ?? for 10,000 ? i have a lt 1 1996 z28 convertible for sale for ten grand its funny i ran into yr post rght when i was thinking of selling my car its a hot one but i also respect it, its a marroonish purple color very very rare chevy said well under 100 painted this color as the could not even document the color my numbers 208 6911 5507 the reason im selling is i got into two homes and two payments and this damn home markets sloweddown and i have two home payments and unfortuanatly my toys got to go
  • i personnally do not like dodges 'new' lineup, because the avenger, looks very similar to the caliber, and the charger is a magnum without the hatch, thats just my 2 censts tho, but i do like the 06 gt stang, but i dislike how ford stuk tht nasty tiny hood scoop onto the o7 gt's, and i looove the new camaro
  • john_324john_324 Posts: 974
    "but i do like the 06 gt stang, but i dislike how ford stuk tht nasty tiny hood scoop onto the o7 gt's"

It's an options package...Ford brought back the old "California Special" designation.

And before it was available, I saw plenty of Mustangs with added aftermarket scoops etc.

Funny how despite the fairly common press about buyers liking the new Mustang design because it is less cluttered, style-wise, than the 99-04s, there are apparently enough people out there who *want* the added gingerbread... :)
  • joe131joe131 Posts: 971
    "Dude, I owned a 72 Plymouth GTX with the 440 six pack. This car would do 135 in THIRD gear, at 3500rpm with 3000 left in 3rd and another gear to go."

Is this possibly true? Or were speedometers WILDLY optimistic back then?
    That would mean the car is geared for 250 mph in 3rd gear at 6500 rpm. And in 4th gear maybe 350 mph or so?

(Was this guy just blowing hot air?)
    what city are you in?
    "Dude, I owned a 72 Plymouth GTX with the 440 six pack. This car would do 135 in THIRD gear, at 3500rpm with 3000 left in 3rd and another gear to go."

Well, I think a Mopar with a torqueflite and a 2.76:1 rear would be pulling around 3500 rpm @ roughly 100-110 mph. At least, I had a buddy with a '66 Charger 383-4bbl, and it pulled 2500@75 mph. So extrapolating that out, that would come out to 3333@100 mph.

But 3rd gear in a 4-speed transmission is going to be a quicker ratio than the 1:1 top gear of a Torqueflite. And a Roadrunner is most likely going to be geared quicker than a 2.76:1! So I'm sure that at 100 it would be running quicker than 3500 rpm, let alone 135!

Also, those old Mopar engines, even the hairier big-blocks, tended to get their peak hp around 4800 rpm, and would redline around 5500 or so IIRC. In 1972, the 440 six-pack had something like 285 hp, according to the net rating that became the norm that year. It would've been around 370-380 gross.

Still, a '72 Roadrunner with a 440-6pack was one of the fastest domestics around by that time. Ford pretty much gave up on performance by then. About the most power you could get was maybe 224 hp out of a 460, but you'd have to buy a T-bird or Lincoln to do it. I think the cheaper Fords and Mercurys were toned down from that. You could still get a 300 hp Pontiac/Olds 455, or a Buick 455 with around 270 hp. Or a Chevy 454 with 270 hp. There was also a 440 option at Dodge that put out 330 hp! Maybe that was a dual quad, and not a 6-pack?
    So, are you saying he IS full of hot air?
    Or is that manual transmission GTX geared for 250 MPH in 3rd gear and 350 MPH at redline in 4th gear?
    Well, I have no idea what ratio 3rd gear would be on a 4-speed GTX, but I'd imagine it's geared for a bit below 250 mph :P Now 4th gear is going to be 1:00:1. Top speed is going to be determined mainly by the axle ratio. I'd imagine that about the hairiest axle ratio you could get by then would be around a 4.11:1. Put some fairly meaty 255/70/R15's on that sucker, which according to www.tirerack.com, turn about 720 revs per mile (also 720 rpm@ 60 mph, and that means your engine would be revving at about 2960 rpm @60. That engine would probably hit its peak hp around 4800 rpm, which would mean about 97 mph. And it would hit its redline of around 5500 rpm at around 111 mph.

Now on the flip side of that, I think you could special order a tall ratio axle of around 2.06:1. When you figure that's about half of a 4.11:1, that means you'd hit peak hp at a theoretical 194 mph, and top out at 222 mph! Of course, it doesn't take into account wind resistance, which is going to be fierce once you get up over 100 mph or so. And IIRC, for every doubling of speed, wind resistance is actually squared?

I'd say that with a moderate gear ratio, and in tip-top shape, that '72 GTX might, *might* top out at around 145-150 mph. IIRC, some of the fiercest police cars of all time were 1969 Polaras running 440's and 3.23:1 axles, and that's about what they'd top out at.

As for turning 3500 rpm@135 mph in 3rd gear? Well, doing the math, I'd take a wild guess and say that would be a 2.45:1 axle? And again, that's not taking into account aerodynamic drag. And I seriously doubt that anybody would put a 2.45:1 axle in a '72 GTX. And you sure as hell don't want to rev something like that up to 6500 rpm! There are many modern DOHC engines that redline around there...some big monster of a 440 that's better at pulling out stumps and flattening mountains isn't going to want to rev that fast without scattering parts for a wide, wide radius!

Maybe that '72 GTX came out of Canada, and had a metric speedo! I know a guy in one of my Mopar clubs with a '66 Fury that came from Canada, and it set up that way.
  • mmcnamarammcnamara Posts: 27
    Here are some stats from Motor Trend and Car and Driver tests, circa 1971/1972, I'll let the reader decide what he wants to take from this info.These are merely speed/revs figures, not 1/4 mile times.

1971 440-6pk Road Runner, 4.10 rear
    104 mph@5400 rpm

1971 383-4v Road Runner, 3.55 rear
    98 mph@5000 rpm

1971 440-4v GTX, 3.23 rear
    110 mph@4700 rpm

Interestingly enough, this '71 GTX did list a top speed of 130 mph @5500 rpm (redline).

Another article from Motor Trend compared three different 'Cudas, a 340 auto, 440-6 4-speed, and a Hemi auto. The 340 was the author's favorite, as the 440-6 was just too much of a chore to drive, its carb setup impossible to modulate between moderate acceleration and flat-out. The Hemi was easy to drive, also, just keep your foot out of it on takeoff. Top end on the cars (all at redline): 340 (4.10 rear)- 101 mph, 440-6 (3.54 rear)- 109 mph, 426 Hemi (3.55 rear)-112 mph.

Surmise what you will, but I drove some of these vehicles on a daily basis, and trust me, by 100 mph, they were mostly used up and acceleration was pretty slow thereafter. Here's a shocker- Car and Driver tested a Saturn Aura XR that was quicker and faster in the quarter than the '71 GTX! As far as I'm concerned, the golden age of cars is now.
    Wow, those top speeds really are kinda sad, although I guess with those really quick axle ratios, they're just not going to get much of a top speed as they're really screaming by the time they hit 100.

I'm kinda surprised though, that the car with the 3.23:1 ratio only made it to 110. I figured a ratio like that would be a good enough "middle of the road" ratio to give good top speed without hurting acceleration too much.

Sad thing is, though, that I had an '89 Gran Fury ex police car, with a 318-4bbl and a 2.94 ratio. It would top out at about 120 mph, according to the Michigan State Police, at least. Heck, even my old '69 Dart GT, with a 225-1bbl and 2.76:1 axle could break 100 mph pretty easily. I was afraid to take it much higher than that, though. It actually felt like it had plenty of power left at that speed, but I have a feeling it wouldn't have gone much faster.
  • xtecxtec Posts: 354
    I use to work on the Gran Fury police cars,and would help calibrate the speedometer and would top out at 115,then we would flip over the air cleaner and get 120 out of them,it was a old trick we would do to get more speed and help the MPGs.I also worked on a '70 Fury police car with the 440,and it had 2:76 gears,I don't know what it top out at,but is was the fastest car I worked on ,the road test were awesome.I also had a '68 Road Runner with 3:23,and one time dragging a Vette I was doing 115 in third,shifted to forth and buried the speedo,the speedo only went to 120,so I don't know what the top end was,but is was fast.BTW the Vette beat me,but it wasn't stock.I would beat most stock vettes with the Runner.
  • mmcnamarammcnamara Posts: 27
    I think you're right about the wind resistance factor, although I'd have to drag out the old physics texts to be sure.Really makes a difference when trying to get that last 10 mph, no doubt about it. And as you said, those big blocks with their 100 lb. cranks and 2 ft. strokes just don't like the top of the tach.
    I use to work on the Gran Fury police cars,and would help calibrate the speedometer and would top out at 115,then we would flip over the air cleaner and get 120 out of them,it was a old trick we would do to get more speed and help the MPGs.

LOL, I do a similar trick with my '85 Silverado in the warmer spring/summer months. I have an old '68 Dodge Dart V-8 air cleaner top that I put on the Chevy. It has the tall 5" or so air filter, and the top part is actually too big to flip. But the Dart's air cleaner, which is flat, sits nicely on top of the air filter and exposes a great deal of it.

I don't know how much it REALLY helps acceleration on that dog, but it does seem to take off a bit quicker when trying to merge onto a highway, for instance. And it seems to improve fuel economy a bit, maybe .5-1.0 mpg. Which, when you're dealing with maybe 12-15 mpg to begin with, every little bit helps!

It does make it a bit crankier in cooler weather though, and I have a feeling that it screws with emissions.
  • xtecxtec Posts: 354
    During the winter,we had to flip the top back to normal.One reason was the engines would bog down because the air was to cold,plus fear of snow getting into the engine.Some emissions would be blocked off to gain power.Back then we didn't have emission testings.Plus we would take off the resonators to gain power.There were lots of tricks,thats why had the faster police cars.
  • lamboloverlambolover Posts: 4
    What make's you think that it'll be heavy?
  • bflavellbflavell Posts: 1
    Jeff Yerkovich, owner of R&A Motorsports, one of the country’s leading restorer of Shelby Mustangs, CARSTAR in Riverside, Kan., re-created the “Super Snake,” a legendary experimental car produced by the Ford Motor Company in 1967. The prototype, never offered for production, featured Carroll Shelby-modified Mustang chassis, suspensions and bodies with big block motors delivering more than 400 horsepower. The renovated vehicle carries the Wimbleton white and blue stripe livery of the original vehicle and is authentic down to the paint drips and over-sprays on the chassis and undercarriages of the original cars.

The car is still awaiting Shelby certification and is currently on tour with CARSTAR making $$$ for the Make-A-Wish Foundation.
This discussion has been closed.