Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Ridgeline Real World MPG Numbers

Comments

• namakan59namakan59 Posts: 9
    Recent trip Minneapolis to Grand Forks 75-80 MPH going against the wind 95/5 HWY/City 17.5 MPG Return trip 75-80 MPH 100% HWY 19.38 Total for trip 18.24 MPG with speeds of 75-80. Total milegae on truck 3000 miles one month old.
  • sbackartsbackart Posts: 4
    I have a 2006 Ridgeline and after almost 40,000 miles my mileage has improved rather dramatically versus new. In my normal (aggressive) driving on the highway, the vehicle delivers 21.5 MPG at approximately 700 feet above sea level in 50 degree F weather. Recently I tested it over a 400 mile stretch (Minneapolis to Chicago) at roughly this elevation, 60 degree F weather, at the posted 65 MPH limit using cruise control and the truck delivered 25.2 MPG. That's TWENTY FIVE POINT TWO miles per gallon.

For new Ridgeline owners, hang in there. A little mileage on the odometer, a steady foot, some attention to the posted speed limit, regular maintenance, and properly inflated tires should yield mileage that well exceeds that posted by the EPA.

By the way, I do not have a roof rack, and I do have a cargo bed tonneau cover....both of which likely contribute to the above-average mileage.
  • bdymentbdyment Posts: 549
    A vehicle that size with the aerodynamics of a brick getting 25.2MPG. Wow. Did you have a 50MPH tail wind?
    I have another chance to test that one today with a similar trip, albeit shorter, from Chicago to St. Louis. I rarely drive the speed limit yet if this kind of mileage results, I'll be doing a lot more of it. Generally I am into a headwind when heading southbound on I-55 in Illinois, and it will be interesting to see the resulting mileage.

Regarding aerodynamics, not having a roof rack and covering the cargo area probably have something to do with this truck delivering somewhat better mileage than a brick. I just refilled my tank from a combination of city (90%), and Highway (10%), and the Ridgeline delivered that characteristic 15.4 MPG. Getting that mass to move from a standstill certainly requires that V6 to drink deeply...and the lower gears required certainly boost the RPMs.

I'll post after this next round-trip...which should total about 560 miles on flat terrain. My biggest challenge will be staying in the right lane for most of the trip.

I understand your skepticism. All I can do is report the facts...and will keep doing so.

Thanks.
    I was also hauling about 500 LBs of college goods home plus 2 other passengers. I was happy getting 19.2 MPG on the way home at 75-80 MPH. I have taken other trips to Grand Forks with my wife Sonata and we will get 27-28 going to and 31-32 going home. I also drive to Chicago and find the same going to Chicago I get 2-3 MPG better than driving back to Minnepolis. In the Twin Cities I stay in the right lane and drive 55-60 on the HWY. In the suburban towns I time the lights and do slow acceleration, I hope to average 20 MPG on this next tank full 50/50 HWY/Cty. One thing I do not do is slow or impede the flow of traffic.
    what did you get on your trip to St louis?
    2 months old 4500 miles average since purchase 18.4 MPG consisting of 50/45/5 HWY/Suburban/City. Last tank 19.1 50/50 HWY/SUB. Changing the oil in the next week going to synthenic see what that brings.
  • What kind of tonneau cover do you have? Is that very heavy? Thanks!
  • What kind of tonneau cover do you have? Is that very heavy? Thanks!

I'm still looking for the right mix of tires, tire pressure, premium gas?, etc. to get me over 20 mpg. I just got a 2006 with 19k miles and so far my MPG is 19.75, 18, 17, and 18.75. And I'm driving it very easily!
  • MetroMPGMetroMPG Posts: 2
    I borrowed my brother's Ridgeline to collect this info. Tested both pulling a trailer and without the trailer:

Details of the test can be found here.
  • bolivarbolivar Posts: 2,316
    Just how far did you run this test? I read your link, but did not see this.

Your graph indicates at 74mph you achieved 24.7mpg.

I'm sorry, but I just don't believe this is 'real world'.

Mine gets about 19/19.5 at speeds around this. The very best I think I've gotten on mine was about 21.5.

My original tires indicate a max pressure of 35psi. The door tag has Honda's recommendation of 32psi. This small of an increase in tire pressure and a bed cover, in my opinion, would not increase milage by some 15% over my max milage. My milage was from fillup to fillup, which is usually 15 gallons or more.

If what you are reporting is a steady state mileage over a level 1 mile or so - I don't see what this has to do with any real world driving.
  • eddiemeddiem Posts: 6
    The testing data documented may be true on that stretch of road, but I can tell you that "real world" driving will yield very different and varied results. I was considering the Ridgeline, but bought a Dakota. It has a digital mpg readout, and I can tell you that reaching 20, 21 or 22 mpg is relatively easy, but only on a flat stretch, without acceleration. Try this. Reset your mpg meter to zero, and take your vehicle out for a drive. If the engine is cold, and you take off from a dead start, climbing a slight hill, you may see 9, 10, 11 & 12's in the readout. It is very easy to decrease your actual mpg with something as simple as slowing down and accelerating in traffic. As mileage (on the tank, which is when I reset the display after refueling) accumulates, that has a smaller affect on the "tank mileage", but it still affects it. Reseting the display on the highway will show you your "instantaneous" mpg, not your average over that tank or over several tankfuls.
    I have 20,000 miles on my 07 4x4 3.7l / 6 spd manual Dakota Quad Cab, and I drive like an old lady, trying to maximize my mpg's. It's a game, but it is much easier to drop your mileage than it is to increase it on any given tank. FYI, my readout is about 95% accurate when compared to the fill and record mileage data method, so I know it's accurate. These numbers may only be "snapshot", not what you are going to get unless you take it out and empty a tank on a long (highway) run at conservative (less than 70 mph) speeds.
  • MetroMPGMetroMPG Posts: 2
    The figures in the graph are meant primarily to show the impact of speed VS fuel consumption.
    My '06 Ridgeline with 60,000 miles gets about 21 MPG (US) HWY at this speed. The graph is about right for my experiences if I'm careful in acceleration. Keep in mind I have no roof rack and a tonneau cover on the bed. Tires are filled to max recommended pressure (checked and rotated regularly).

Driven hard the Ridgeline sucks significantly more fuel. Its all in my driving habits. As some indication of my conservative driving, I still have plenty of tread left on my OEM tires and "just" had the rear brake pads replaced.
  • stevedebistevedebi LAPosts: 3,786
    "Your graph indicates at 74mph you achieved 24.7mpg.

I'm sorry, but I just don't believe this is 'real world'. "

That was imperial MPG, not US MPG. The imperial gallon is larger.
  • bdymentbdyment Posts: 549
    That is about 20.6 mpg to the US gallon.
    You are right. I apologize. I read the wrong entry in the data.

And, 20.6 mpg to US gallon I would agree is an attainable figure for a steady, level 74mph (I think this was the speed in the graph.)
  • kipkkipk Posts: 1,576
    Comparing our 09 Ridgeline mileage to our 03 Pilot mileage is a little disappointing.

I don't recall what the Pilot's window sticker EPA Mileage was, but it got way better than advertised by the time the odometer hit the 1,000 mile mark.

Local driving, the Pilot returned 17-19 mpg. Highway mileage at 60 MPH would be 26-28 mpg depending on use of the AC. Increasing the speed to 70 would drop the mileage to the 22-24 mpg area. Again depending on use of the AC.

Ridgeline mileage in local driving is more in the 15-16 mpg range and highway mileage is a very disappointing 22+/- at 60 mph. with the AC OFF. I expect it would drop to 20 or less at 70 mph.

Realizing the window sticker is 15-20 and are grateful we are doing a bit better than that, I'm still in wonderment as to why it is so much worse than the Pilot.

Weight of the 2 vehicles is virtually the same, same engine displacement, similar frontal area, both AWD, same driver, same driving techniques, same fuel at the same pumps.

Must have something to do with the open bed at highway speeds, and transmission shifting preferences in local driving.

Other than that we really like the Ridgeline. :)

Kip
  • Don't forget that even though the Pilot has the same engine, it has the VCM (variable cylinder management) feature that causes the engine to only run with 3 cylinders when cruising or otherwise not under stress. I don't think the Ridgeline has this. My 2007 Pilot has gotten over 28 mpg's on a couple of different trips which is far more than it is rated.
    As I've probably stated in this segment before, I feel since ethanol has been introduced in the gasoline in my area a couple of years ago, I feel all 3 of my vehicles has lost about 2mpg. This includes my Ridgeline.

Ethanol is a huge failure because of its milage reductions and diversion of livestock food grain to a different purpose.