Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Expedition Rear End/Differential Problems

2»

Comments

• What was the result?
  • Hello-
    My 08 Expedition has 11000 miles on it. I have never towed anything or gone offroading etc. I am a mom and we live in the country and need a good 4x4 to deal with Wisconsin winters etc. I took my expedition in for a rountine oil change and they told me both rear axle seals were leaking and needed to be replaced. What would cause this with such low mileage? Has anyone else heard of this on the 08s? Is there anything else I should have checked out that these leaks may be a symptom of?
  • i don't have an answer for your specific question but for the amount of miles you have on it take it to the DEALER. not anybody else. even if they say they are some kind of authorized garage, blah blah. when it comes down to getting things done and reimbursement the dealer is the only one to go to. even for your costly oil changes. when the auto is completely out of warranty then go to somebody less costly. it may seem expensive now, but if you are having problems now, it will seem like chump change when the big bills come in. and it sounds like you have the beginning of a good expensive problem! and when ford tries to get out it you only have to point to their very own mechanics. this is from my own experience which cost me from getting a new vehicle because my lemon was taken to an outside garage just to have the oil changed. p.s. get it fixed immediately. low fluids are the cause of many of expensive problems.--c
  • benson10benson10 Posts: 15
    What's the big deal? Aren't you still in warranty? Just get it fixed at the dealer.
  • I have a 2005 F-250 with a limited slip and 4:10 gears. Ford has replaced or re-adjusted the clutches three times because only one wheel would drive on slippy conditions i.e, mud , loose gravel,wet grass, snow and ice. This was done at 17k, 24k, 27k and now at 33K the problem is back. This truck has never seen any work other than towing a couple of ATV's or boat once in a great while. The truck is equipped with a plow ( but I have no plow) and trailering pkg and V10. I owned a 2001 with the same set up and never had any issues. I liked the truck so much and brought this one new in 05. The dealer has "Closed" and the service manager at another Ford dealership is getting no where with the Ford Reps or Zone managers. Has anyone else had this problem and were your able to get Ford to stand behind the problem? Thanks for any information.
  • I bought mine from somebody and it had 123,000 miles on it, and everything was also running good and I also noticed just last week that it has a leak at the rear end, I have no idea what it could be. I checked the Engine and Transmission oil and it's all good. Does anyone know what it could be. I'm a woman, and I don't know much about trucks. :\
  • I have a 2002 Ford Expedition and besides the leaking in the rear end of the truck, I keep hearing a rattling sound on the bottom of the truck. Could it have been caused because I accidentally ran the truck like 5 Miles on 4 WD? Can that rattling noise be related to the leaking of the rear end side of the truck? Is it seriously bad or expensive? Please give me some advice, I'm a single mother of 3 boys and I don't have any kind of help, I would hate to loose my only vehicle :(
  • How about the rear differential? That's where I would start. On flat ground when you open the fill port the fluid level should be right at the bottom of the hole. Could also be the axle seals.
  • The rattling is probably just a loose heat shield on the exhaust. Unlikley that is has anything to do with driving it in 4WD.
  • I have some leaking in the rear as well. Just got my truck yesterday. Is there any other problem anyone else having regarding their truck.
2»