Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any Diesel Light Trucks on the Horizon?

I've just about broken in my '98 Jetta TDI, and I'm about 2-3 years from my next vehicle. If I could design the perfect one, it'd be a diesel 5M 4WD extended cab Canyon/Colorado look-alike. Will there be one available by then? Is there anything in the near future in the light truck market? A Dakota? A Tacoma? Please? Anyone? Manufacturers, are you reading this? (tap, tap) Is this thing on???

J

Comments

• ergoergo Posts: 56
    The only supported rumors I've heard are twofold:

1. Chevrolet Colorado w/ the upcoming Turbo diesel DEFINITELY coming for the Hummer H3. :) Mules of the TRUCK (not SUV) have been spotted with 2.8 and other labels on it.

2. The upcoming Jeep Wrangler and specifically Gladiator type pickup will have a turbo diesel engine option.

Rumor: The fact that Dodge Calibers are getting one (for sure) should bode well for other DC variants. Have seen nothing on the Dakota however. The Nitro shares the Liberty platform, so that's an option for DC.

The other manufacturers have them worldwide, but nothing firm for the US. :cry:
  • jkinzeljkinzel Posts: 735
    Still looking for the Ford Ranger with maybe a 2.2L diesel. :shades: Maybe in my life time it might happen.
  • Am looking for diesel compact pickup, ie: toyota tacoma, nissan frontier, ford ranger, etc. Have to consider used only as don't believe any have been produced in last ten years. Any info on availability, models, specifications, etc. is appreciated.
  • moparbadmoparbad Posts: 3,842
    The used ones are over 20 years old. They are insanely overpriced. Parts are difficult to obtain.
    They are not worth the trouble.
  • gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 29,023
    don't believe any have been produced in last ten years.

Millions have been produced. Small diesel PU trucks are the standard over the World except here. Gas is too cheap and the automakers don't want to buck the EPA or the oil companies. After all a PU that gets 40 MPG is only half the petro dollars of a 20 MPG PU.

Mopar is right about trying to keep an old one going. Unless you are a mechanic forget it. Most are rusted out. Engine may still run good. Everything else is falling apart.
  • bigfurbigfur Posts: 649
    That Ford is looking to put a small V-6 diesel into the F-150. Read a little about it in the new issue of Truck Trend...might be their websight if you want more info.
  • ezshift5ezshift5 West coastPosts: 854
    ....Engine may still run good. Everything else is falling apart.

....Yes & Yes. '82 Rab diesel here: 289 odo - orig I4D. Big-time non-engine work the last 21 years (local VW dealer loves me)

Moral: never fall in love with a trucklet (even if the little dude is 55 MPG capable at 55 MPH)

best, ez
  • shufflesshuffles Posts: 50
    Toyota sells a compact diesel pickup in Mexico. I don't know what it would take to import one into the US. There are companies that import used engines from Japan for about $1,500. (they have to replace their engines after only 30K miles). My nephew's business is putting those engines in old civics. It makes sense to get a compact Toyota pickup with an old, or better yet a blown engine, and put an almost new Japanese diesel in it. It might be possible to pull this off for not too many bucks.
  • ergoergo Posts: 56
    link title

GLOBAL DIESEL OFFENSIVE.

Separately, the trade publication also reported that GM is planning a global diesel offensive starting in 2008 that would include launching new diesel engines in the United States, where the technology has found few fans compared to Europe.

"We are developing right now two highly modern diesel motors that won't just fulfil the Euro-5 emission standards, but (also) the more stringent Bin-5 regulations in the USA," an unidentified GM manager told Automobilwoche.

It plans to introduce a 2.9 liter V6 and a 4.5 liter V8 that will gradually be used in almost all sport utility vehicles, pick-ups and large sedans in all GM brands and all markets.

Should the biggest U.S.-based carmaker roll out models with diesel engines on a large scale in the United States, then German carmakers that have specialized in the more fuel-efficient powertrain technology may be able to make greater inroads into the local market.

• repoman1repoman1 Posts: 64
    ergo - good catch on the Reuters article. Meeting the Tier 2 Bin 5 standard will allow GM to sell the diesels in all 50 States. GM's planned 2008 launch will be a year behind its competition. I expect to see Honda and Toyota diesels in their 2007 model trucks, SUVs and cars. Once again - GM is years behind its competition.
  • shufflesshuffles Posts: 50
    If there is a Tacoma or Frontier diesel available for the 2007 model year, I will certainly buy one. Let's hope!
  • I wrote Toyota, they told me they dont have any plans to use diesels in the USA at this time. I think they bet all their marbles on hybrids.

Honda said they will bring out diesels in the light truck market as soon as they can meet EPA standards in all 50 states.
  • KCRamKCRam Mt. Arlington NJPosts: 3,516
    Cummins has announced a partnership with an automaker who has asked to remain anonymous (for now) to produce light-duty diesels.

Cummins Press Release, Jul 26 2006

kcram - Pickups Host
  • rs_pettyrs_petty Posts: 423
    How about end of the year! I suppose DCX could go to VM Motori for Jeep. I'd love to see the RA630 in the Commander (along with a bigger fuel tank). Wonder what will happen to the thousands of PU & SUVs with gas engines sitting in inventory? A new retrofit industry perhaps.
    The consensus is that Dodge is the "new" customer for the light duty diesels, which is really not a new customer at all.

4.2-liter V6 that will develop 190 horsepower and a mighty 455 ft-lbs. of torque. The second is a larger 5.6-liter V8 that will generate 260 horsepower and an even mightier 597 ft-lbs. of torque. Both engines will be SOHC with four valves per cylinder and feature Piezoelectric fuel injectors, like the kind Ford is rumored to be using on its next Powerstroke diesel, and variable nozzle turbochargers. If Dodge is indeed the "unnamed automaker," then it's safe to assume the engines will be used in the Ram 1500 and Durango.

I was told that the engines were for Durango and Ram 1500 by a Cummins engineer when the news first hit and I was hoping this was incorrect as I'd like to see Cummins available from manufacturers other than Dodge, however, there is much consensus that Dodge is the "new" client.
    I could be happy in a Dodge Ram 1500 with a smaller diesel than the current one. Our last four 2005 Ford Powerstrokes were horrible. In the shop with engine sensor problems more than on the road. I have never had a Duramax to drive on a regular basis. I think a V6 Duramax in a 1500 would be dandy. I am waiting and will probably jump on the first decent one to come along. Unless Ford improves vastly it would not be a Ford.
  • orbit9090orbit9090 Posts: 110
    Diesels can get-busy WITHOUT much LUBRICATION and have a lot of MUSCLE...and they are good for the LONG haul, and won't BREAK your BANK.

• rs_pettyrs_petty Posts: 423
    I just have to challenge the consensus. I see no reason for Dodge to withhold their partnership with Cummins for competitive reasons unless, a)Dodge hasn't told the parent DCX of their deal (which isn't too likely) or, b) Dodge is using it as a publicity tool to get community excitement going - nothing like a good mystery. Withholding client relations makes more sense if it is somebody other than Dodge. Chinese Dongfeng is Cummins second largest customer, but I've heard of no rumors about Chinese pickup trucks - just some economy cars. IH and Ford are on the outs over the Powerstroke and baby PS. GM has Isuzu. My guess would be Ford because the timeframe fits better - Ford is too slow to get any 1/2 ton diesels before 2010. I believe Dodge could put MB or Italian engines in their trucks for 2007. If they wait they will be looking at even bigger inventories filling up the fairgrounds than they have now. OK - shoot down my assumptions. :)
    Like you stated Ford has had a lot of trouble with the PS from IH. Ford does own Cummins so it would seem logical to use the best diesel engines in your own vehicles.
  • KCRamKCRam Mt. Arlington NJPosts: 3,516
    Ford does not own Cummins, nor have they ever. In the mid 90s they owned less than 10% of Cummins common stock (the same you and I can buy on the stock exchange) because Ford used Cummins as the standard engine in their class 8 trucks. When they sold that business to Freightliner in 1997, they sold the stock as well.

kcram - Pickups Host
    Well that explains it then.
    What is the point of the old truck picture? What make and year is it?
  • mike91326mike91326 SoCalPosts: 245
    The picture is from the movie Brokeback Mountain.
    I did not see the movie. Was the truck in the movie a diesel or did the movie discuss diesels?
  • jpmeirjpmeir Posts: 4
    I've traveled all over the world. Mid sizes diesels trucks are sold everywhere except in the USA. Currently I'm stationed in Iraq...what do you think we drive? A Ford diesel, 4 door, mid size truck. Love this truck. I drove a green Toyota, 4 dr, diesel, in Hatie for 6 months. Great vehical, at that time is was 6 years old and ran great. Four door trucks were not even sold in the USA than. A mid size diesel truck would sell big in the US. Problem is Ford and GM are so mis managed it will take 4 or 5 dollar per gal to maybe change the mind set of these companies. It's upsetting to know that the Big 2 1/2 keep the American driver in the dark.
    I think most of the blame lies with the EPA and CARB. They have all but blocked the sale of mid sized diesel PU trucks and cars. You want a big fire breathing, CO2 spewing 1 ton diesel truck, No problem. You are right, a mid sized diesel truck would sell very well in the US if offered. I have waited for 10 years for just that vehicle to arrive here. Still waiting.

Welcome to the Forum!!!
  • stmn1stmn1 Posts: 1
    Just check the international sites for ford gm Isuzu Nissan Mitsubishi, they all sell a small diesel pickup every place except North America. Look at Isuzu of Belize or Great Britain. The real question is "Why can't we buy this truck here?"
  • jamesp5jamesp5 Posts: 3
    Thank you for posing this question. I have not been able to understand why the availability of a light duty diesel pickup has not already hit the U.S. They are available in many other countries, but not here. You can't tell me this isn't political? Anyway, I have asked several people the same question with no knowledgeable response. You apparently like your Jetta. I really wanted to buy a TDI, but my wife who lives and breathes by Consumer Reports wouldn't let me do it, in spite of the fact that all the VW and more specifically TDI owners I have talked to really like their cars. Thanks, Jim
  • blufz1blufz1 Posts: 2,045
    Honda Ridgeline. Fall '08.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,432
    got a solid source on that?

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '14 Town&Country

This discussion has been closed.