Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Midsize Pickup Comparo

Comments

• 2005lekc2005lekc Posts: 145
    driver56,

Thank you for the kind words. I am really enjoying the truck so far (15 months).

OkieScot
  • critter1critter1 Posts: 104
    Bow! Yep good deal, riding 06 Fronty 4x4 SE KC auto,best riding truck I ever had,and thats many. Post when you 4 wheel some! :)
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    Nobody have any more to say about the new Explorer Sport Trac? Any changes in the pipeline for any of these trucks next year?
  • moparbadmoparbad Posts: 3,842
    Door handle on the inside will be changed on the Sport Trac for next year. It will have two handles to open the door on each inside front door panel.
  • KCRamKCRam Mt. Arlington NJPosts: 3,516
    Just tidying things a little... same discussion :)

kcram - Pickups Host
    I don't even know what changed. Fill me in? :confuse:
  • rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,675
    I was looking at a SportTrac today. I don't like the fold-down rear seat. The fold-up rear seat of the Ridgeline is much better, as you can store much more inside. Plus, with the fold-up rear seat, it's easy to store a bike or get Fido inside.

Also, the SportTrac has 2 glovebox size storage compartments in the bed. The Ridgeline's bed truck is so much larger and much more useful.

Bob
  • KCRamKCRam Mt. Arlington NJPosts: 3,516
    The discussion title. :)

kcram - Pickups Host
    I realized that right after it was too late to delete the post...it had not updated on my end until too late. No harm done.
  • congenicongeni Posts: 8
    Honda has a truck for Junk in the bed. That is different from most trucks. But it don't have a full size spare tire.Think of all the trouble you would have if you had a flat tire off road.
  • gearhead1gearhead1 Posts: 408
    If you mean it doesn't come with a full size spare, your right about that, but a full size spare will fit where the factory spare currently is, and the factory spare will mount to the side of the bed so you can have two spares.
  • varmintvarmint Posts: 6,326
    The donut spare is a beef of mine. It's the same with all the Honda mid-sizers (MDX, Pilot, Ridgeline). Meanwhile, the compact CR-V gets a full-size spare. Go figure.

That said, the space where the donut is stored is large enough for a full-size tire. You just need to buy it yourself.

I'm working that out myself. My brother-in-law got a set of alloy rims to replace the steelies on his Ridge. I'm taking one of his old rims and mounting a tire on it for my MDX.
    I didn't know you had a Ridgeline in the family (so to speak). How's your brother-in-law like it?

As to the Ridgeline rim on your MDX; Does it have the same width and offset as the MDX? The Ridgeline I believe has a 7.5" rim width. Isn't the MDX's rim width 7 inches?

Bob
  • varmintvarmint Posts: 6,326
    He loves it. We used it a few months ago to move someone out of a condo. Pretty amazing what you can fit in a condo. We filled a Caravan, the MDX, and the Ridgeline. With the folding back seat in the Ridge, we stuffed quite a bit in there.

He loaded the bed with somewhere between 1-1.5K lbs of sand. Took some abuse from the guy operating the front loader. "You know that's not a real truck, right?" Good natured, but you get the idea. When he came back for a second load, the guy confessed that the Ridgeline looked like it dropped far less than his own Dodge (model undisclosed) hauling a similar load.

That said, most of the time he's hauling two kids or just commuting.

As for the rims, the MDX actually has a 6.5" vs the 7.5" on the Ridgeline. (Significant difference) But there are ways of making it work. Remember, I'm thinking about using this as a spare, not a permanent tread. As long as we can get the diameter right...

My Brother is still working out the TPMS with his new rims. (I won't be hooking that up for the spare.) So, we haven't done anything with the Acura, yet.
    The guy probably had a Ram 1500, which in 4x4 quadcab trim, has a lower payload rating than the Ridge.

Bob
  • jfritschjfritsch Posts: 958
    I've seen numerous ads on motor alley.com advertising se king and club cab frontier for 5000-5500 off MSRP (500 of this may be college grad rebate) (about 1500 -2000 under invoice.) Any one get anything like this on their purchase?

Any significant mileage difference between club 2wd and 4wd models?

Did anyone order the soft tonneau cover from nissan with their crew? It seem to have some neat quick access zippers in both the drivers front and passenger rear of the bed that seem to be unique. None of the dealers here have any trucks with it.

Thanx
    --jjf
  • asaasa Posts: 359
    I have the Nissan brand soft tonneau on my '06 Frontier SE Crew Cab. I bought it after my truck purchase (from yournissanparts.com, excellent service) and installed it myself. My main goal was to find a tonneau that was compatible with the sliding bed extender (some brands have a tonneau frame that interferes) and the Nissan works just fine with it. It's well built. My only complaint is that there's no way to make it drum tight, so it flops a small bit. BUT, it's very secure with its zipper and Velcro -- nothing's ever going to tear loose at speed. I've had mine on and off a bunch of times and am quite used to it now.
    Recently picked up a Consumer Reports, that gave these twins down the river for their awful reliability. Any thoughts?
    The difference between first place and last place in reliability is statistically 2 problems per vehicle or less according to research findings by JD Power.
    JD Power results are based on much larger samples of the vehicle population than CR.
    CR has some value, however, they seem to make too many mistakes and methodology and reporting of reliability is less than ideal.

Bottom line, I would not eliminate the Colorado and Canyon due to reliablity concerns, it is their awful interior and ergonomics that completely eliminate them from consideration.

The Ranger is a significantly better truck and it is a 10 year old plus design.

I'm shocked at how bad the Colorado/Canyon are and conversely how good the new full size GM SUV's are. :surprise:
    I would agree with the previous. It would be difficult to drive a Frontier, Tacoma or Honda Ridgeline (it is cool!) and then fork over within $1000 or so for Colorado. (Do it and you be the judge.)

Some of the Ridgeline CREW base RT 2006's were cleared out for 22k, 4wd Frontier should be about the same. That said I see the Colorado outnumbering the newer other trucks by about 3:1 around here.

CS is about the best most seasoned statistical survey around, and they get enough samples to be close enough. Colorado rates in the bottom 1/5th which should be the final nail.

Ridgeline (as well as 4wd Element and CR-V) rates in the top 1/5th and the Frontier and Tacoma in the Middle.

Happy Hunting
    --jjf
    CS is about the best most seasoned statistical survey around, and they get enough samples to be close enough.

Without getting too far off track, did you know that Consumer Reports only surveys it's subscribers for vehicle reliability?

It is a critical, unacceptable flaw in their method of sampling.
    moparbad,

Why are CR surveys flawed? I have been a subscriber for over 30 years and have bought
    most of my vehicles based on their surveys.

I purchased 9 vehicles based on their surveys
    and everyone of them turned out to be trouble free just as their survey suggested.

Maybe I should say that the last vehicle has
    been trouble free for the 19 months I have had it. That is really not enough time to say that it will be as trouble free as the other 8.

The rest of the vehicles were owned for from 5 to 24 years.

I feel very comfortable taking their recommen-
    dations. From my experience they have been dead on in accuracy.

OkieScot
  • kipkkipk Posts: 1,576
    Why are CR surveys flawed? I have been a subscriber for over 30 years and have bought
    most of my vehicles based on their surveys

I agree with you!

In my opinion... Subscribers to CR tend to actually be concerned about the reliability of various products.

They are used to reading the reports and are possibly better able to take an unbiased survey without emotion. :shades:

Kip
    most of my vehicles based on their surveys

Vehicle owners in the general poplulation do not have an equal chance of being represented in the data. CR limits the population of the sample to subscribers. The data set is biased and pre-determined to the demograpics of subscribers of CR.
    The problem is not the survey, the problem is who is surveyed.
    Anyone know if Ford will still offer the Ranger next year?
    I believe the St. Paul plant is scheduled to close this calendar year.
    Vehicle owners in the general population do not have an equal chance of being represented in the data. CR limits the population of the sample to subscribers.

That is my point.

CR has quite a few subscribers. They are people that like to know which particular product in a particular segment works best. They are the best people in the world to ask questions of.

If you sent out 10K Surveys at random to the general population you will get back a very small percentage. Send it out to people who are "IN TO" wanting the best bang for the buck and you will most likely get back a higher percentage of the surveys and most likely the people are a bit better informed as to what they are doing.

A prime example of informed and uninformed is this:

We had a 95 Maxima. I took it if for one of those services where they rotate the tires align the front end and so forth. All went well, but when I got home there was a phone mail asking me to call the Nissan service dept. They told me that the tech that did my car had discovered that his Tool for torquing the wheel lugs was set wrong , could I please bring it back so he could check the lugs. I did and the tech re torqued the lugs. Another time a tech somehow broke the oxygen sensor on the same car.

If my wife had taken a survey she would have said we had 2 things go wrong with the car. I knew the problems were caused by the people working on it. So I would have said that nothing had gone wrong. I was thankful that they caught the problems and fixed them.

The data set is biased and per-determined to the demographics of subscribers of CR.

I don't see how the surveys are biased.

If a question was asked, "Don't you think the transmission is more troublesome in Explorers than in Hondas"? that would be biased.

When it says "Have you had problems with the any of the components of the drive train?" and the transmission is one of the choices; How is that biased?

How do demographics fit into the equation? :)

Kip
    How do demographics fit into the equation?

Kip

That is a basic concept, that if I remember correctly, was explained in "Elementary Statistics" and was covered in depth in "Linear Models and Experimental Design" which were both 200 level classes.
    If you say so!

Just doesn't change my mind! ;)

Kip
    Although someone has pointed out that the CR survey is not perfect, it is still the one of the most useful surveys of reliability out there. They have refined some of their methods to minimize some of its weaknesses.

I don't think there is anything that "wildly" skews the results(much less demographics for instance) , just due to the nature of the topic and simplicity of the survey. There are weakness in their methodology for sure, as in all surveys, (limiting to their subscribers to keep costs down etc, ) but no deal killers. (Ie. asking all white voters what they think of AL Sharpton)

Demographics for a Democrat or Republican? Yow! For pure opinion polls its all demographics

Demographics for "did you have any transmission repairs for your Cadillac?" still there... (older buyers tend to be less (more?) picky etc I think CR tries to take this into account too) but with 310000 readers (responses?) and enough samples to reduce the variance of the result per vehicle (note that some are not rated, with not enough responses to the survey) you still have one of the more useful tools out there.

CR (weren't they the first to do this? in the early 70's?) may be one of the reasons that the # of defects between the best and the worst has been shrinking for the last decade or so. Ironically if anything it is this that may be making the survey less meaningful.

It was one of the first resources one could go for for perspective, with data from thousands (not the futile, ask your neighbor and folks at gas stations how they like their car) long before the www was even dreamed of.

There's nothing that skews the data in CR enough to make it useless or even limited usefulness. To point out that it isn't perfect isn't meaningful.

Happy Hunting

--jjf
    Moparbad,

I fail to see what you are talking about with the demographics. Judging from the variety of vehicles that are surveyed it looks like there are people who drive just about all of the cars
    made to allow CR to include them.

I know quite a few people who are CR subscri-
    bers and believe me most of them could not be grouped in any particular fashion. Most of my friends have more money than I do and buy nicer cars more often than I can.

Most of us do not have the same hobbies, care for the same sort of recreation, etc. So I do not see us as all being in the same demographic
    category.

I have purchased not only vehicles recommended
    by CR, but also many appliances and electron-
    ics. I have seldom ever purchased anything they recommended that did not turn out to be satisfactory.

Granted the surveys are taken from subscrib-
    ers but then as a subscriber it suits me just fine. You can purchase CR without being a subscriber, but it looks like if you buy it then that would put you in the same category as
    the subscriber because of your interest.

I still fail to see a problem.

OkieScot
This discussion has been closed.