Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Midsize Pickup Comparo

Comments

• thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    I think you are right. I know some Tacomas can be had with a 6-speed manual. Are these just the X-Runner models?
  • asaasa Posts: 359
    You're correct -- 4x2 6-Speed Tacos are not Crew Cabs.
  • toykicktoykick Posts: 104
    for some reason the automatic tacomas are quicker and more fuel efficient then the stick..

access cab 4x2 comes with the 6spd, so does the 4x4 and 4x4 DC tacoma..

and x-runner...

as for options... i wonder why nissan doesnt build a frontier that does 0-60 in under 7 seconds and 14 second 1/4miles... and does over .90Gs on lateral skid pad... wait isnt that more then the 350z ? :P
    i wonder why nissan doesnt build a frontier that does 0-60 in under 7 seconds and 14 second 1/4miles... and does over .90Gs on lateral skid pad... wait isnt that more then the 350z ?

That IS more Gs than the 350Z, you are right. My guess would have to be that the market for "high-performance" trucks is a small niche compared to what most buyers want out of a midsizer. $25,000 for a manual transmission, 2-wheel drive truck that drinks premium gas (to get advertised perfromance levels; you can use regular, which will reduce performance marginally). When you can get a Ridgeline RT or Tacoma Double Cab for about the same money. Most people looking for performance will shop Mustangs, and Nissan 350Z.

What I'm wondering, is when will Toyota get a "fun" car again, now that they've killed off that last sporty car they had (Celica)? They are letting Nissan (350z) and Honda (S2000) have all the fun!
    A X-runner cost 21-23k around here, a 350z cost 28+k, type s RSX cost 25k+ etc...

compression ratios:

tacoma v6 - 11.0:1

RSX type s - 11.0:1

350z - 10.3

Ridgeline - 10.0:1

frontier - 9.7:1

lol looks like all need premium :surprise:
    compression ratios:

tacoma v6 - 11.0:1

RSX type s - 11.0:1

350z - 10.3

Ridgeline - 10.0:1

frontier - 9.7:1

lol looks like all need premium

The Ridgeline makes all 247 horsepower on regular. I'm not sure why you think it needs premium. Toyota specifically reccomends premium for "optimum performance". Honda reccommends "regular unleaded". For 22 cents more per gallon, the Honda makes 8 more horsepower with smaller displacement.

The RSX...why is it here? It also runs on premium, but delivers good economy to offset to price difference.

The Frontier beats 'em all with the most power on regular gas, but gets 1-2 mpg less than Honda/Toyota.

So, the irrelevant cars drink premium (350Z, RSX-S), as does the Toyota V-6. The other four trucks here all get the full power out of good 'ole regular unleaded.

This is all info per Nissan's compare feature:

*Ridgeline - Regular (247hp/252lb-ft)
    *Tacoma - Premium (236hp/266lb-ft)
    Frontier - Regular (265hp/284lb-ft)
    Dodge - Regular (230hp/290lb-ft)
    (250hp/310lb-ft for H.O. version)
    GM - Regular (220hp/225lb-ft)

*Honda and Toyota have already adjusted their hp ratings for the new SAE test procedures. The others may not have been tested under the new restrictions, which tend to reduce output numbers.
    The Honda makes 11 more horsepower, not 8, as I said incorrectly.
    lol i like how you added a few numbers to the ridgelines torque... Hondas website has it at 245... typical for honda engines... more hp then torque... Thats why VTEC doesnt belong in a truck... Trucks need torque, and also need to peak low to haul crap around easily... Hondas Ridgeline isnt like a hemi or others which peak 90% of it torque under 2k rpm... The Ridgelines Vtec needs to rev a lot more to get a comparable load moving... several tests have been done, towing a comparable weight of 5k and the ridgeline takes 6+ seconds more to reach 60 then the tacoma... Frontier is almost 5 seconds slower... AWD doesnt really help it... i'm not saying people should go race their mid-size trucks with a 5k trailer behind them but i can assure you a Tacoma is going to pull any comparable weight up a hill better then a frontier or ridgeline... :P
    I assure you that without VTEC, both figures would be much lower than they are now.

As far as the incorrect figures, I knew that the Ridgeline's horsepower had dropped to 247 from 255. I didn't know the torque figures currently. Nissan's site is outdated, b/c it showed the RL with 255/252. Sorry for this misquote. thats why i pointed out where i got my figures.

My Accord actually has more torque than horsepower, so, I'm not sure where you get that idea. Honda could do like GM and make BOTH numbers low, if you prefer. ;)

You are right, the Ridgeline isn't like the Hemi. If it claims to match its abilities with an engine 1.5 times it's size in an oviously different market, I'll be the first to refute it.
    your accord has more torque then hp? really? see i dont do VTEC #s... if your torque peaks before your hp it doesnt mean you have more torque then hp

the 06 v6 accord has 244HP @ 6244 rpm and 211ft.lb of torque at 5000 rpm...

So i guess you have more torque then hp before 6k rpm right ? ;)
  • For all intents and purposes a VTEC system isnt a bad thing for a truck, but I dont think a ridgline belongs here, as it cant do the heavy-duty work nor has the off road ability that all the trucks here have.

"sport-utilty truck" my a$$

However though, it'd make a great base for street truck, like a tacoma x-runner or f-150 lightning and be a great buy "for people who dont like trucks".... WTF would you buy one then?
  • pb2themaxpb2themax Posts: 471
    "I imagine the engineers know what they're talking about."

That would be nice, and you would also think that the Toyota salesmen know everything about thier products, but as most of us know, they don't. The only way to really find out is to try it, like I did. Try it and see for yourself, that there is no MPG or HP difference that you can feel when running lower octane.

Only high compression engines need high octane.

http://chemistry.about.com/library/weekly/aabyb100401.htm
  • ustazzafustazzaf Posts: 311
    FOR THOSE DIE HARD TRUCK FANS WHO SAID THEY WOULD COMMIT SUICIDE IF VTEC MADE IT INTO A TRUCK

Saying the Ridgeline and it's VTEC "made it in a truck" is like saying the Houston Texans made it in the big leagues. Ya, they have a team, but they have no hope of being a contender. Sure they got accolades when they came out and won the first game, but they quickly dropped back into the bottom of the cespool. Hey, maybe it will be more like the Seahawks and reach greatness 30+ years after being created.
    Honda never intended this truck to sell more than its target of 50,000. I don't think it's a "poser" if it doesen't make claims of even being competitive with the big sellers. I would like to mention that Honda reached their annual sales goals two months early. Seems like Honda knew what they were doing. Sales are sales, regardless it the buyer is a truck guy or not, right?
    your accord has more torque then hp? really? see i dont do VTEC #s... if your torque peaks before your hp it doesnt mean you have more torque then hp

Who said the Accord to which I am referring has VTEC? Or a V-6? My Accord has 9 more lb-ft of torque than horsepower.

My 2006 Accord has 6 more hp than torque lb-ft.

Who referred to when torque peaks? I sure didn't. Were you just assuming that I didn't understand how power peaks worked, and since my torque peaks below my horsepower peak that I automatically thought the peak numbers didn't count?
    I do know that my 1996 has more torque than horsepower, and the VTEC EX models did too. If you want to, we can chat about it in an Accord forum. I think we owe the rest of these guys enough, so lets get back to the trucks.

Has anyone here even considered purchasing one of the American brands?
    lol 6 more ft.lb of torque.. or 9 doesnt really count. Plus these are family sedans and 4 bangers.. and those 06 hp and torque numbers are from hondas website.. The only new accord which probably has more torque then hp is the hybrid

We're talking about trucks... This is hondas biggest production engine right? its in both the pilot and ridgeline... both engines peak high, and have less torque then hp.
    If 6 or 9 doesen't really count, then why do you think 2 does (Difference in Ridgeline)?

I think I see how you work...nothing "counts" unless it is in your favor. Suddenly, 15 or 20 pounds of torque makes your Tacoma a ton better than the Ridgeline, yet, 10 doesen't count? It "doesen't count" that the numbers are lower on Toyota's vehicles when run without premium? I'm just going by facts here, fella.

Actually, the Hybrid has more horsepower than torque, does that count? It probably does, because saying it doesen't won't really help your case much.

and those 06 hp and torque numbers are from hondas website

ok??? I'm afraid I miss your point here.

Anyway, I'm outta here for the day... Have a good one.
    i'm talking about trucks... not sedans... the Accord your talking about has about 130hp with vtec and under 140 ft.lb of torque...

again your comparing a 4 banger engine... honda has that same engine tuned with more hp and less torque with a higher compression ratio... again most of hondas engines have more torque then hp.
    the Accord your talking about has about 130hp with vtec and under 140 ft.lb of torque...

Wrong. My Accord LX (which I was referencing here) doesn't have VTEC, and has 130hp. The VTEC has 145 hp.

Where else is this 2.2L engine with more horsepower other than the Prelude? The prelude had a 2.2 with nearly 200 hp.
    prelude took 8 sec. to reach 60

lol just admit most of hondas engines dont produce torque... i'm not saying its bad for cars... some have a lot of go but its doesnt belong in a truck...
This discussion has been closed.