Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Midsize Pickup Comparo

Comments

• moparbadmoparbad Posts: 3,842
    Maybe a rice grinder hood scoop would be nice?

2005 Tacoma 4.0L V6 245HP 283 lb/ft torque
    2006 Tacoma 4.0L V6 236HP 266 lb/ft torque

9 fewer horses on the '06, where did they go? Are they hiding in the hood scoop?

Maybe Tacoma needs that hood scoop for that premium unleaded sucking, premium performance 4.0L V6?
  • eaglegeagleg Posts: 87
    Taco Envy Volvobad?If you work real hard,maybe someday you'll be "Moving Forward."
    Thanks Nissan for the ....half size rear doors with those cool 2 piece windows.

Rear Headroom (in.)
    Tacoma 35.2
    Frontier 38.7

Rear Legroom (in.)
    Tacoma 28.2
    Frontier 33.6

Rear Shoulder Room (in.)
    Tacoma 57.7
    Frontier 58.3

Rear Hip Room (in.)
    Tacoma 53.6 Frontier 58.0

Frontier has more space for passengers in the rear seat than Tacoma. Half size doors...LOL!
    Why do the doors look so small and why don't you buy a Fronty?LOL HAHAHA
    This topic is stuck in the mud.....like a Tacoma! :shades:

I bet a Volvo wouldn't get stuck in that mud.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    It's called new testing procedures...Toyota and Honda beat Nissan to it. They will be required soon on all automakers, but Honda and Toyota went ahead and decided to be upfront about it.
  • wooddorkerwooddorker Posts: 300
    Has anyone noticed that the Dakota NEVER gets mentioned in these threads? :P

It seems like folks either love or hate the Ridgeline, will argue Toyota / Nissan to death, and seem to agree that the GM entry is a step down (but it is quite a bit cheaper), and that the Ranger needs to be updated.

No one ever mentions the Dakota.

Then I realized that when I was truck shopping last year, I spent all kinds of time (hours!) with the Toyota and Nissan, drove two Ridgelines(An extra foot of bed vs. a real back seat killed it for me), did a quick but decisive drive of a Colorado, drove right by the Ford and Mazda dealers, but totally forgot the Dakota existed.

We all have our own needs, options, and tastes, but where are the Dakotas?
  • critter1critter1 Posts: 104
    Just is! Time will sort out the rest on new 05/06 Toys/Fronty's! I will post my experince with Frontier good or bad. :)
    If Dakota got better marks I would have looked hard,like body style. But to many problems documented in Consumer's Report for me. Now if Jeep ever makes the Gladiator P/U, I have to look for sure. It's cool concept.

Fish'in Critter! :)
  • driver56driver56 Posts: 408
    Hardly a fact at all graduate. Frontiers are well known for their off-road prowess, and all around performance. And beauty, as well as ugly, is always in the eye of the beholder. I like both trucks, for different reasons, but they both could use some improvements.
  • jfritschjfritsch Posts: 958
    Someone in a previous message said that Colorado's are sold for substantially less than their Nissan or Toyota counterparts. I just test drove one and the best the dealer could do was $200 OVER a comparable crew cab Nissan Frontier. Edmunds site seems to indicate the prices are comparable also.

I thought I could save some money by going with the Chevy, but without at least $3000 off, I would need my head examined. Chevys got the styling advantage (they always did KA with the sheet metal), and I like the wide choice of colors and styles. But it takes but a short comparison test drive and interior examination until one is deciding Nissan or Toyota.

One can argue Nissan or Toyota all day, but the Chevy is in a dissapointing 3rd class. One is getting at least 40% more truck with the import makes, its almost like a toy in comparison.

Although around here (Northern Kentucky and Southern Ohio) the Colorado outnumbers the 05- Nissans by about 10 or 15 to 1 from what I see on the road.(Ive been looking off and on for about 4 months) Must be a bunch of downsizing chevy full size fanatics around here (the Silveradoes are competitive with all comers) who never even considered the competition.

From the specs Chevy even figured out how a smaller truck can have an even wider turning circle than the already wide Frontier's.

A Colorado would be considered if it had a considerable price advantage (one that I have not seen). Several dealers have stocks of the crew 4 and 2wd 4cyl models (the 5cyl is a $1000 option don't you know) which is just silly.

Anyone know if the 2 wheel abls (active brake limited slip) option on Frontier is worth the $300 on a 2wd models?

-jjf
    "Someone in a previous message said that Colorado's are sold for substantially less than their Nissan or Toyota counterparts."

That was me, and I was considering GM's constant stream of incentives. I'm also in an area where Toyota and Nissan products sell well. We even see a decent number of Ridgelines on the local roads.

Has GM finally stopped the silly marketing gimmicks?
    There are scads of them still on the road. 6 of 1 half dozen of another. For long lasting! :D

wooddorker the Chevy looks good But that 5 cylinder don't cut it for power and mileage isn't that much better. They should put a 4.3 v6 and beefed it up a little. I drove one after the Tacoma & Frontier ,big difference. But its your
    choice!

Fish'in Critter :)
    "wooddorker the Chevy looks good But that 5 cylinder don't cut it for power and mileage isn't that much better."

I love my Tacoma... :D
  • motorhead1motorhead1 Posts: 111
    I have been looking at this page about the differences of the mid-size trucks. The first thing I have to say is no the Colorado is not in the same class or the toyo or the nissan. It is what it is but if you are a Chevy person like me you want to stay with a brand you like. I have had my 2004 ext cab 4x4 I5 auto trans for about 2 years with no major problems. The truck does just what it has promised it would do and that is to have a 4x4 with good gas milage and very dependable. Either be happy with it or buy something else.
    Would the Thai version of Ranger be competitive in this class?
    Ranger is absent from this comparison. New model Ranger was introduced in 2006 for markets outside North America.
    Thai Ranger

I believe that Ford would be well served to introduce the Thai built model in the US. Especially with the diesel.
    The Twin Cities Ranger plant is scheduled to close and Ford has not stated if the Ranger will be built off the Explorer chasis or if a new chasis will be designed and built in to be decided plant.

For what it is worth, IMO the photography of the Thai built Ranger is impressive, especially compared to the current USA version.
  • rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,661
    Not so sure about the Thai Ranger, as it means little to folks here. I would include our Sport Trac, however.

Bob
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    Host, would you include the Ford Sport-Trac in this discussion for me please? I created this thread before the new, more competitve model was released. I appreciate your help if you can do so...

Thanks,

Thegrad
  • zdmazdma Posts: 6
    I agree, I've never seen trucks even compact size got averagely 26.4 mpg. Especially the Frontier's engine is more powerful, also, curb weight's bigger than Tacoma. If nothing's wrong, the vehicle's mpg is always related to engine's power and curb weight. Have you heard of 20 mpg Escalade or Navigator? So just precisely measure the mpg like sugarman1 said, I think 22 might be the most. :D
This discussion has been closed.