Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Midsize Pickup Comparo

Comments

• kipkkipk Posts: 1,576
    Drum brakes activated by cables may be the best thing since sliced bread.

Your explanation of the whys and whats was interesting and seems reasonable.

Despite the laws of physics and other things you mentioned,

"Seems to me that rear disc hold a parked vehicle a little better if the front of the vehicle is up hill, than drums do!" :)

Kip
  • I love my Sport Trac so much I've started a new Sport Trac community. Please register there and help this new fan/owner site grow:

http://sporttracclub.21.forumer.com/

Thanks!
  • dustykdustyk Posts: 2,926
    Most parking brake systems typically provide a holding pressure of between 200 to 400 foot pounds, depending on how the designs are executed, of course. If a vehicle actually uses the disc brake for the parking brake, the contact area is usually around sixteen square inches (thats both sides of the pads, by the way) per wheel, versus 40 to 70 on a drum system. In actual practice the holding force is often less on many rear disc designs because constant high pressure on the piston will cause the brake fluid to over come the piston seal.

A rear drum parking brake is much more effective at holding a vehicle than a rear disc brake, by design. But in reality most rear disc braking systems utilize a rear drum for the parking brake anyways. In any system I've seen or worked on the drums and shoes are about 1/4 the size of a conventional rear drum brake. It's referred to as "drum-in-hat" and I'm having a little trouble thinking of a vehicle that doesn't use it at the moment.

The US Department of Transportation actually specifies holding force requirements on automobile and truck manufacturers for parking brake systems, and ANSI has a test procedure for evaluating them. So in actual practice, regardless of the system, they both must meet minimum requirements.

Dusty
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    Thanks for the informative post. Most of that I did not know!
  • between the Toyota Tacoma, Chevy Colorado, and gmc canyon wich would you suggest asking for and why. Thanks
  • jfritschjfritsch Posts: 958
    You want to limit your selection to the Tacoma, Frontier or Honda Ridgeline.

Test drive a Colorado/Canyon vs the others and see why. (Poor build quality, cheap interior etc, it also has the largest turn radius of the bunch despite being the smallest truck (44ft), and the lowest tow rating, and only a 5 cylinder engine) Even if you could get 10,000 off MSRP (the 30000 4wd model) it is no deal. Its MSRP is very high too..

I believe the Frontier has the highest tow rating and most powerful torquey engine, With the Tacoma and Ridgeline having the best interior quality.

The Ridgeline is a nice piece but the 4wd would not be as good as the Tacoma or Frontier for off roading. The ride is much better though, almost car like. And great quality. Neat trunk to store things under the bed, however it looks kinda like a small Avalanche.

$3000-4500 off msrp should be doable on the Frontier or Tacoma, with $5000-$6000 off MSRP for the Ridgeline. If you are looking at $23000 (4wd crew cab), then you are looking at the Frontier or Ridgeline, with the Tacoma about $1500 more. These are for moderately optioned trucks.

Do not even think of a Colorado or Ranger(no crew cab option but still), unless someone insists on giving it to you free. This should be obvious after your inspection of the trucks.

Happy Hunting
    --jjf

between the Toyota Tacoma, Chevy Colorado, and gmc canyon wich would you suggest asking for and why. Thanks
    Good post! :)

Kip
    I'd pick any of the other vehicles in this discussion before adopting the GM twins' reliability problems and cheapo materials.

If you don't do a lot of off-roading, I'd go with a Ridgeline (they are available for well under invoice I believe). If you want to tow or do some serious off-roading, I'd go with the Frontier or Tacoma. If you need V8 power, and ONLY if you need V8 power, would I go with the Dodge Dakota - only to tow though.
  • maple2maple2 Posts: 177
    if you want to be ridiculed and constantly made fun of go ahead and get the ridgeline. very poor attempt at cracking the truck market by honda imo :sick: otherwise any of the other choices would be fine
  • jfritschjfritsch Posts: 958
    Except of course for the Colorado/Canyon. Curiously when I drive in my brother's Ridgeline we've been approached twice with questions and admiration. And thats the few times i'm with him. In my trusty Frontier I'm ignored. You do want about $6000 off though.

GM and Ford are losing billions producing 2 million trucks so trying something different probably isn't all that stupid.

--jjf

if you want to be ridiculed and constantly made fun of go ahead and get the ridgeline. very poor attempt at cracking the truck market by honda imo otherwise any of the other choices would be fine
    For what it is designed to do and the market it is after, it works !

For some reason, some people hold onto the idea that all P/U trucks should look like they always have, ride like they always have and handle like they always have.

And those people will not change their minds, at least not openly! However they will ridicule those that don't agree with them.

However when the young ladies are swarming all over the Ridgeline owner. Too bad for the "Square Truck" guy! :surprise:
  • moparbadmoparbad Posts: 3,842
    However when the young ladies are swarming all over the Ridgeline owner.

That is the funniest statement I've read all week!
    My last 2 trucks were a Red 96 Ram Sport, then a White 98 Ram Sport. Really enjoyed both as TRUCKS!

However the Ridgelines are "Chick Magnets"! :shades:

It can really get embarrasing. Walk out of school and there are several of the better looking cheer leaders sitting on and in the Ridgeline. Walk out of work and females are waiting. If you have a girlfriend or wife this could be hazardous to your health! :sick:

Meanwhile the conventional truck owners are all gathered together saying "UH HUH...We bad, We bad"! :cry:

Sorry couldn't help myself. Forgot to take the medication!

Kip
  • moparbadmoparbad Posts: 3,842
    However the Ridgelines are "Chick Magnets"!

Perhaps they like the Ridges better than Rams and Tacos and Canyons.
  • ajbchoajbcho Posts: 44
    if you want to be ridiculed and constantly made fun of go ahead and get the ridgeline. very poor attempt at cracking the truck market by honda imo otherwise any of the other choices would be fine

The kiddie play area is down the hall, to your right.
  • maple2maple2 Posts: 177
    The kiddie play area is down the hall, to your right.

Yes i know that thanks. Where do you think i got to check out all the ridgelines? Certainly not hanging out with the big boys
    I'm 19, and have managed not to deride other people's choice of vehicle. Can't you, too? Or are we so insecure we must refer to other people's vehicles with baseless (and pointless, might I add) comments that add nothing to the discussion?

If you must, use me as a punching bag. What a girly man I am, I have a red 4 door Honda sedan, and a blue sedan as well. Both are automatics. Fire away.
  • ajbchoajbcho Posts: 44
    Yes i know that thanks. Where do you think i got to check out all the ridgelines? Certainly not hanging out with the big boys

You've proved my point. Thanks for playing.
  • driver56driver56 Posts: 408
    what the original poster (almost sixteen)thinks about all this info being passed around.
    Are you any closer to making a choice?
This discussion has been closed.