Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Midsize Pickup Comparo

Comments

• toykicktoykick Posts: 104
    lol the ridgeline isnt lighter. hahah you honda guys crack me up... "Gross combined weight" thats payload, passengers and anything being towed combined...
    Tacomas dont have Struts, They have Leaf springs. When i see struts on a Big rig then i will be convinced, Or unibody frames lol...
  • grove4grove4 Posts: 95
    Toys have struts too.Do your homework GUY.Leafsprings dont replace struts.
  • grove4grove4 Posts: 95
    You have made alot of false points about a tacoma vs ridgeline.You have been proven wrong over and over again.Your tacoma has a little more tow capacity and is better suited for hardcore off road.Beyond that, you cant really pick apart the ridgeline.So lets move on,your argumentative nature is lame really.
  • varmintvarmint Posts: 6,326
    Gross combined vehicle weight rating:

Double cab v6 Tacoma 4x4 : 11,100

Ridgeline :10,085

So The Tacoma can handle more weight per Axle then the Ridgeline...

More weight per axle? The GCVR is the max capacity assuming a loaded trailer. It has nothing to do with weight per axle.

The advantage for the Tacoma is it's higher tow rating. But that has nothing to do with its axle ratings. The number you're looking for is the GAWR (Gross Axle Weight Rating).

You can't get away with just making stuff up. We're going to check it.

Here are the rear GAWR figures for a few of the trucks from the discussion, so far. I was not able to find information for the mid-size Toyota and Nissan. (They only publish that information for their full-size trucks.) If someone with an owner's manual could provide that, it would be appreciated.

Colorado = 2,896 lbs
    Sport Trac = 3,200 lbs
    Ridgeline = 3,252 lbs
    Dakota = 3,600 lbs
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    Comparing any of these trucks to a big rig. Real cute, toy.
  • 2005lekc2005lekc Posts: 145
    I checked my Frontier LE KC and it has 3296 GAWR FR and 3265 GAWR RR. It was not shown in the owners manual which referred you to the sticker on the left rear door.

OkieScot
    What does everyone feel GM has to do to become more competitve in this market? I know they carry a good deal of rental sales, but I see as many Ridgelines as I do non-fleet Colorado's, which isn't supposed to be the case. IS it strictly a horsepower problem with Chevy/GMC?
    I think they should take the same route as Nissan. The Frontier is a shrunken version of the larger Titan. Instead of pulling a platform from the small trucks of Thailand, they should work with the assembly lines where the big trucks are produced and make them more flexible. North Americans already know and love Chevy's big trucks, so the association with them is a good thing. With the extra width, they could fit that wonderful I6 engine under the hood and power a heavier-duty mid-sized vehicle. The market for truly small trucks is evaporating. A step up to Dakota territory is in order.

The monocoque/frame design used in the Ridgeline is actually something GM played with back when Honda's Gary Flint worked for GM. However, I think going that route would too expensive for them, even though it would probably result in a much more balanced and modern vehicle. Hence the suggestion for the Nissan approach.
    I'd like to say, respectfully, that while I know the Colorado is much better than the old S-10, many (including myself) feel the Tacoma/Ridgeline/Frontier/Dakota are even better yet against the Colorado (although, several cost more than the GM twins when comparably equipped). You DEFENITELY owe it to yourself to drive several of these contenders.
  • atlgaxtatlgaxt Posts: 487
    Besides the engine and low tow rating, I think the interiors look cheap on the Colorado / Canyon. And although this might be a small item for most, I have two big dogs that I am not going to carry in the bed. The back seats of the Frontier and Ridgeline pop up nicely creating a good space for dogs. The fold down seats in the Colorado / Canyon are not useful.
  • ustazzafustazzaf Posts: 311
    Toys have struts too.Do your homework GUY.Leafsprings dont replace struts

You are right. Leafs don't replace struts. They cannot be used togeather on the same axle. The rear of Tacomas (where the weight is handled) is leafs and SHOCKS. The front has struts. When the rear gets struts, my business will go domestic. I don't see any quality trucks going with struts on the rear in the near future because you can't get the weight capacity and torgue out of struts. Honda is seeing that with the history of failure of their rear struts when they try to carry weight or tow. Being in the automotive repair business, it is nice to see the Hondas keep me busy replacing struts, but it is not something I would invest in.
  • gearhead1gearhead1 Posts: 408
    Honda is seeing that with the history of failure of their rear struts when they try to carry weight or tow.

Please post links to history of strut failure on Ridgeline outside of Edmunds test drive.
    lol thanx for that clarifying that... i guess i wasnt clear enough... I meant rear struts not struts all around.
    lol what happened to the Silverado? didnt you say the only way it could get better mileage was if it was going down hill?

And EPA Ratings of the 05 tundra are the same as the toyotas website. The non vvti 00-04 has the same epa ratings as the 05-06. No one has tested the new 05 tundra. Edmunds, C&D, motor Trend, etc.. But theyve tested the ridgeline and edmunds posted an average of less then 15mpg mixed driving.
    I've got a buddy with an S10 and he and I have used it for several projects. I've never driven the Colorado, but based on reviews and a few stationary "test drives" I think it's a much better sorted vehicle.

My problem with the Colorado isn't so much that it's a bad little truck. The problem (IMO) is that it's a little truck. Right now, the consumer market is to be shifting toward "mid-sizers". While small trucks are rental fleet fodder. Of course, not everyone wants a mid-size, but I think Chevy would reach a larger more profitable audience with a mid-size.
  • Toykick,
    After reviewing many of the conversations that you participate in, I have come to the conclusion that you are not a fan of the Honda Ridgeline. My question to you is, from what qualified educational institution (college or university) did you acquire your engineering degree from? You seem to be extremely passionate about your Toyota Tacoma, which in the correct forum would not underestimate the intelligence of your intended audience, as you have attempted to do in this forum. You clearly feel that "your" facts are true, however they appear to merely be opinion. Evidently, your distaste for Ridgeline influences your ability to have a intelligent discussion. In other words these are big boy discussions try not to let that overwhelm you. Thank you, I look forward to hearing more from as you have made these discussions entertaining.
    Toykick,
    After reviewing many of the conversations that you participate in, I have come to the conclusion that you are not a fan of the Honda Ridgeline. My question to you is, from what qualified educational institution (college or university) did you acquire your engineering degree from? You seem to be extremely passionate about your Toyota Tacoma, which in the correct forum would not underestimate the intelligence of your intended audience, as you have attempted to do in this forum. You clearly feel that "your" facts are true, however they appear to merely be opinion. Evidently, your distaste for Ridgeline influences your ability to have a intelligent discussion. In other words these are big boy discussions try not to let that overwhelm you. Thank you, I look forward to hearing more from as you have made these discussions entertaining.

I second that.
  • 5553543255535432 Posts: 150
    Toykick,

I second that.

And if theirs such a thing as I third that then I third that.

No matter how passionate Toykick is with his Tacoma, theirs no way in this world that any Toyota product could touch the Ridgeline in terms of awards and and all around versatility ON IT'S FIRST TRY.AND I STRONGLY BELIEVE THAT MOST OF THESE AWARD GIVING BODIES ARE REAL GENUINE AUTHORITIES IN THEIR RESPECTIVE FIELDS AND NOT SOME self proclaimed ENGINEER.

TOYKICK TRY MATCHING YOUR TACOMA WITH THE FOLLOWING, LET ME START WITH 2005 MT TRUCK OF THE YEAR, WHAT NEXT?

THE RIDGELINE ON THE OTHER HAND.

1-Motor Trend truck of the year 2006

2-Detroit News truck of the year 2006

3-Consumer Reports top rated truck

4-JD Power & Associates 2005 APEAL award for the Honda Ridgeline

5-Autobytel 2006 Editors' Choice Award: Truck of the year 2006

6-Automobile Journalists Association of Canada (AJAC) Best New Pickup 2006

7-On Wheels Incorporated: Ridgeline 2006 Urban Wheel Award for the Urban Truck of the Year

8-best rollover resistance rating of any pickup tested by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)

9-first-ever 4-door pickup to earn a 5-star safety rating for both front and side impact crash test performance from the U.S. National Highway Transportation Safety Administration (NHTSA).

10-Car And Driver Rates Honda Ridgeline #1 Pickup.

11- AutoWeek Editors' Choice Award as the 'Most Significant' new vehicle in the show.

12.Society of plastic engineers 2005 awards.
    :shades:

NOW TRY MATCHING ALL THOSE 12 MANO A MANO. :sick:

GOOD LUCK.
  • ogre01ogre01 Posts: 15
    Toykick, you have provided quite a bit of entertainment and also plenty of misinformation along with it. As a proud owner of a '06 Tacoma 2x4 DC LB, I too love my Taco but not to the point of being blinded by the equally talented Ridgeline. The Ridgeline is meant for the city truck market and it delivers in spades. I loved the roominess, who doesn't love that smartly engineered "trunk"+tailgate and all the standards at their base level. Went with the Taco since it sported a slightly better MPG rating, didn't really need the AWD or 4x4 ability, and longer bed for the times I run around with 8 ft. stock.

Variety in products is what makes having choices great. Don't get blinded by a brand, you'd just be sucked into corporate hype not to mention Bush facts as you already have a penchant for quoting just to make your case. Although I'd never stray far from a Honda or Toyota since their reliability is legendary, witnessed first hand by the 87 accord and the 92 corolla in my stable.

I do hope Honda provides a non awd version. I feel that unless one is really in the deep stuff, 4x2 is all that's really needed and for the slightly more challenging situation, a pair of chains will come in handily. Especially when that pushes the MPG higher for the majority of drivers who drive paved roads.

Just my 2 cents.
    05 motor trend truck of the year was the Tacoma. 06 is ridgeline... Motor trend didnt bother adding the tacoma into the comparison.

Car and driver.. well i've posted #s and other figures look them up.

"First-ever 4-door pickup to earn 5 star safety rating" - Well the 05 tacoma double cab & nissan frontier havent been tested as extensive as the ridgeline on the NHTSA website. Reg cab and extended cab version of the tacoma were only tested and got 5 stars frontal and 5 stars side impact, frontiers crew cab was tested, 05 High way crash tests ranked the tacoma best pick over the frontier, dakota, ranger, colorado & canyon. Ridgeline hasn't been yet tested...

i'll post the rest later ;)
    i wouldnt say i'm blind loyal... i've posted several facts and most people like to believe its b.s.

for example those 12 sites... is where most of the info/specs i've posted is provided.
    hmmm... Great first post. Nice marketing ogre01
  • ctalkctalk Posts: 646
    High way crash tests ranked the tacoma best pick over the frontier, dakota, ranger, colorado & canyon. Ridgeline hasn't been yet tested...

Actually, it didn't get a best pick. It just got a "Good" rating.

Reg cab and extended cab version of the tacoma were only tested and got 5 stars frontal and 5 stars side impact

I can't seem to find this information. Please supply the site. I didn't know the Tacoma had 5 star's on both front and side.

i've posted several facts and most people like to believe its b.s.

It seems the information you've just posted are merely baseless statements.
    link title

yep baseless statements i guess...

"Not yet tested"
    http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/testing/ncap/Index2.cfm

first ever pick up to get 5 stars front & side?

05 same results... Nissan only has its crew cab tested and not ext. or reg cab. and ranked 4 stars frontal & 5 side for gov. tests

link title
  • ctalkctalk Posts: 646
    I apologize, I actually couldn't find the safety test.

I searched on the site
    rubiconxpress - great first post... you almost put the fake members on nissans forum to shame... i like seeing the endless posts of opinions and made up stories. it makes great marketing.. APC Perfomance products are looking for people like you!

you should contact them

link title
  • Toykick,
    Responding to this post is a challenge, for the mere fact that is senseless babble, as are most of your responses when you are questioned on your information. For someone who apparently knows little to nothing about the vehicle they are driving, you certainly have a lot to say. Clearly, you struggle with innovation and technology, which is ok the rest of us will provide factual information to post. One more tip, try using capitals when beginning a sentence, it will make easier to see where the b.s begins and ends. Thanks again for the entertainment.
This discussion has been closed.