Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Midsize Pickup Comparo

Comments

• obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    I was wondering the same so I checked and his first and last post was on February 26. So after posting his question, looks like he never came back.......course that's nothing new here.
  • clarkkentclarkkent Posts: 154
    Don't get me wrong, but it seems that Honda is VERY ashamed
    of the lenght of the Ridgeline bed. :mad:

I have searched EVERY Honda site for the spec. Honda has all the specs. on the web EXCEPT the inside lenght of the bed, (with the tailgate up)

They tell me it's 6.5" with the tail gate down. That is not the size of the bed. That is the size of the bed + the tailgate.

Does anyone know the true lenght of the inside of the actual bed. Just the bed.

Thanks, CK :)
  • driver56driver56 Posts: 408
    From what I gather, the Ridgeline offers only one bed length, and that would be 5 feet.
  • jfritschjfritsch Posts: 958
    It's 5 feet, the same as the SB Frontier and Tacoma. The Dodge Dakota Crew is 5'4''.

--jjf
  • gd113gd113 Posts: 114
    Two years later and people still can't get over it. If you don't like it it's time move. The Ridge has done fine be me.
  • KCRamKCRam Mt. Arlington NJPosts: 3,516
    ...then your posts will be removed. Knock off the childish remarks.

kcram - Pickups Host

Need help navigating? kcram@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• goodegggoodegg Posts: 905
    I needed a weekend type hauler so I bought a 2006 Frontier XE with 2800 miles on it. 4cyl with a 5spd manual.

That was 3 weeks ago and I now have 4800 miles on it cause it took it on 2 road trips where I needed to haul some items.

What a great truck. Solid. Quiet. Peppy. Very steady on the highway even at 80mph. I've always thought Honda had a lock on 4 cyl. motors but this truck's is awesome.

The Frontier's redesign for 2005 really refined the truck. I like it better than the Tacoma. Less money too. Very comfortable for a truck. Nissan should sell a ton of 'em.
  • kipkkipk Posts: 1,576
    Toyota and Nissan (Datsun) have been building quality 4 cylinder engines since just before dirt was invented. :)

A few years ago a friend bought an old "Datsun" with the sole purpose of installing a very radical Pontiac 400 cu in engine and Turbo 400 tranny.

The Datsun had around 200K on the clock and looked as though it had spent most of its life in a third world country. It's engine was to be rebuilt, if possible, and installed in a boat.

Before removing the engine he ran a compression check just for the heck of it. Compression was within specs on all but one of the cylinders. After removing the head he found either a burned valve or hole in the head gasket, I don't remember which.

Whatever it was was not a big deal. He replaced gaskets and seals that might start to leak and closed it back up. "That engine was just to good inside to overhaul", he said. :)

Kip
  • dustykdustyk Posts: 2,926
    I like the way (most) Nissan motors are designed and assembled. They typically utilize high microfinish crankshaft journals and exceptionally true cylinder bores. Friction as measured by one article in the Journal of the SAE indicates very low friction numbers. I've worked on and seen a lot of motors and only ever had one apart (chain tensioner failure). Nissan's typically can go the full distance without excessive oil usage and still keep their compression, as already mentioned.

Dusty
  • johnboy8johnboy8 Posts: 2
    With all of the experienced people on this site I'm hoping you can help me select a new truck. I need a solid truck that will pull 4500lbs upon occasion. I would like it to get good gas mileage when I'm not towing with the prices being so high. What P/U trucks would you guys/gals suggest?

JohnBoy
    The last 3-4 pages should give you all the discussion on the mid size. You're down to the Toyota Tacoma, Nissan Frontier, Honda Ridgeline. Nix on the Colorado/Canyon or Dodge Dakota, or Ford Ranger/MazdaBxxx. If you can work 10-11k off MSRP for a Dakota it may be passable in the V8 if you can stand the cheap materials and need the pull.

You want about 4-5k off a 4wd tacoma, 3500-4500 off MSRP for a Frontier, or 5-6k off a Ridgeline. These are for 4wd crew cab auto models. Now get to the dealer for your test drives.

--jjf

With all of the experienced people on this site I'm hoping you can help me select a new truck. I need a solid truck that will pull 4500lbs upon occasion. I would like it to get good gas mileage when I'm not towing with the prices being so high. What P/U trucks would you guys/gals suggest?

JohnBoy
    I completely disagree.

I think the V8 Dakota is actually the best vehicle for this kind of job. In this segment it is the Dakota that stands out as the intended work vehicle. The 4.7 motor is smooth and produces exceptional low-end torque within a fairly broad power range. The V8 comes with an extremely hearty, capable and reliable 545RFE, six speed automatic, the stiffest frame in a mid-size pick-up, and the largest cargo and passenger room. It also has the highest towing capacity.

The interior is quite bland, but the unfortunately Germanic-looking interior materials are of very good quality. On my son's last leave home he had a rented Dakota for three weeks. I managed to have it for one of those days. Compared to my 2003 Dakota Sport, the newer versions are quieter, have a smoother ride and improved handling. It was a very solid truck with no rattles or squeaks at 14K.

Regards,
    Dusty
    Looking at the sales figures for the Dakota, I'm sure Chrysler wishes there were more folks like this Chap. In any event, test drives and comparison will tell.

I was in this fellow's boat and was considering a Dakota. Unfortunately I test drove and inspected the competition and its 3rd from the end ahead of the Ranger and Colorado and 4th from the top. Of course, offerings from Mitsubishi (Raider, a Dakota knock off) and Isusu (Colorado copy) are beneath contempt unless LOTS off.

You do want about 10k off MSRP for the Dakota (28-32k) Silverado, Trailblazer etc. A look at 1yr wholesale values will tell you why.

--jjf

completely disagree.

I think the V8 Dakota is actually the best vehicle for this kind of job. In this segment it is the Dakota that stands out as the intended work vehicle. The 4.7 motor is smooth and produces exceptional low-end torque within a fairly broad power range. The V8 comes with an extremely hearty, capable and reliable 545RFE, six speed automatic, the stiffest frame in a mid-size pick-up, and the largest cargo and passenger room. It also has the highest towing capacity.

The interior is quite bland, but the unfortunately Germanic-looking interior materials are of very good quality. On my son's last leave home he had a rented Dakota for three weeks. I managed to have it for one of those days. Compared to my 2003 Dakota Sport, the newer versions are quieter, have a smoother ride and improved handling. It was a very solid truck with no rattles or squeaks at 14K.

Regards,
    Looking at the sales figures for the Dakota, I'm sure Chrysler wishes there were more folks like this chap. In any event, test drives and comparison will tell.

I was in this fellow's boat and was considering a Dakota. Unfortunately I test drove and inspected the competition and its 3rd from the end ahead of the Ranger and Colorado and 4th from the top. Dodge sweetened the deal by getting rid of the 7/70 powertrain warranty (down to 3/36). Of course, offerings from Mitsubishi (Raider, a Dakota knock off) and Isusu (Colorado copy) are beneath contempt unless LOTS off.

You do want about 10k off MSRP for the Dakota (28-32k) Silverado, Trailblazer etc. A look at 1yr wholesale values will tell you why.

--jjf

completely disagree.

Regards,
  • I'm considering buying a 05 Dakota 4x4 Club Cab SLT, 4.7 V8 with only 2,000 miles. I worry about reliability given the ratings by Consumer reports. Also looking at used Rangers and Tundras.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    My family had bad luck with Chryslers, but my aunt had a Dodge truck for three years and it was generally a good vehicle. I think their trucks are a better commodity than their cars.
    Is this car with a dodge dealer? With only 2000 miles that is unusual even for a demo. I share your deal with the reliability but at least that year has the 7/70 powertrain warranty. (if you are 2nd owner you must xfer.with 100 fee)

You would want to pay very close to wholesale for it as this truck isn't in high demand. You might also want to see my message 14394 in the Accord prices paid forum for useful info on how to buy a car. Smoking out 10000 off a Silverado, Dakota, F series this summer may have you reconsider buying used.

Good luck
    --jjf

I'm considering buying a 05 Dakota 4x4 Club Cab SLT, 4.7 V8 with only 2,000 miles. I worry about reliability given the ratings by Consumer reports. Also looking at used Rangers and Tundras.
    I was in the fleet management business for a number of years and are very high on Dodge trucks. The Dakota has experienced a varied quality history over the years, with the first generation being very good, then a slip, then an upswing. A number of local companies use the Dakota along with S-10s and Rangers, as well as Time-Warner and Rochester Gas & Electric Co. From the reports that I've heard they have been generally pleased with them, especially in recent years.

At 78,000 miles my own 2003 has been very good. I've had two recalls, one for a wiper motor and another for upper ball joints. I've had a heater fan blower resistor fail (a common Dakota problem), but they have a revised component that appears to have resolved the problem. I complained about a slight binding sensation in the steering wheel and they replaced the intermeiate steering shaft at no charge even though I was out of warranty.

Most of the Dakota owners I talk to are pleased with them and report few problems. I disregard Consumers Reports because I believe their reporting reliability is much worse than average. I have no faith in them. I wouldn't try to convince you that the average Dakota will have as low a incidence of repair as a Tacoma or a Frontier (although I've hearing some bad things about new Frontiers lately). However, that being said I wouldn't have bought a Dakota if I thought they were terrible or as bad as an S-10. In my experience they are very solid and durable. When there is a problem it is generally a low cost item. The 2003 Dakota works for me and is my everyday ride. It's been faithful and runs great. If you can get past the current German designed interior I think you'll find the Dakota does more for less money, and the newer ones have higher component quality than previous versions. The Dakota will get a complete interior refresh, a stiffer frame, a new 4.7 upgrade to 295 horsepower, and numerous refinements for 2008.

Good luck with your decision.

Best regards,
    Dusty
  • poncho167poncho167 Posts: 1,178
    Sorry I don't agree with you about CR. I don't consider them legitimate when it comes to auto reviews/tests, etc. Their recent scandal involving the outsourced childs safety seats helps confirm my already biased opinion of this company.

CR is good for: appliances, tractors, televisions, etc.
This discussion has been closed.