Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Midsize Pickup Comparo

Comments

• driver56driver56 Posts: 408
    I'd like to see the Ford Ranger/Mazda B-Series continue on as true compacts. Isn't the Ranger still selling well? There is supposedly a redesign in the works for the 2010 model year, Mazda may drop their truck altogether. Personally, these small trucks have always had some appeal, but I always felt a little cramped inside them. I am glad I held off for a mid-sized.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    I think the reason the 1995 I mean 2007 Ranger is still selling well is due to fleets only. It is not very competitive with the midsizers.

I think the 3.0L V6 has about the same horsepower as my grandfather's 1999 Frontier 4-cylinder (143 hp sounds right?).

C'mon Ford, don't let the Ranger go the way of the (once class-topping) Windstar or Focus!
  • kipkkipk Posts: 1,576
    They certainly are the last of the breed. At least on this side of the pond.

But do they really offer anything that the Toy or Fronty don't?

Kip
  • driver56driver56 Posts: 408
    Only compactness and a lower price. My nephew's 03 B-Series 3 litre V-6 travels the same distance on a gallon as does my 07 Frontier 4 litre V-6. How's that for engineering.
    That said, I'd still like to see these true compact trucks hang in there. They certainly are long in the tooth though.

Cheers!
  • climrclimr Posts: 4
    Does anyone have any ideas on what some good options are for cars/trucks that are sleepable for 2 adults. I'm looking at pickups, mostly the Tacoma, but was curious if anyone has any experience sleeping in different types of vehicles? I would like to find something smaller than the Tacoma maybe even a hatchback/small SUV.
    Check out the seating configurations of the Honda Fit hatchback by clicking here. It has several different modes you can set the seats in, including for sleeping, and sitting up with your legs stretched out. Lots of cargo room too, and a price of about $15,000 with in-town economy in the 30s.
    I believe the Honda Element uses "Sleeping Options" as one of their sales tools. The back seats lay flat and the front seats lay flat and join the rear ones to form two single beds! Haven't tried it though. :)
  • asaasa Posts: 359
    You probably know about bed tents, but most of the truck makers offer them. You'd get a bit more sleeping room than inside the truck, but would have to offload what might be in your bed each night.
  • poncho167poncho167 Posts: 1,178
    Another option is to find a used Pontiac Aztec SUV. Yes, we already know most people don't find the Aztec very attractive, ugly, but the vehicle has an above average ride, descent mileage, plenty of room including the optional tent to attach to the back, and radio controls from the back interior of the vehicle as well. The vehicle also has that removable center consol between the seats that doubles as a cooler. This vehicle can be had for cheap.
  • poncho167poncho167 Posts: 1,178
    Supposedly there will be a 5.3 L option next year similar to the current Hummer H3.
  • donn2390donn2390 Posts: 23
    I have been hearing that 5.3 rumor for over a year. First time I heard it was for this year.
    I would love to hear confirmation on that. I have been searching the web trying to find out anything I can about the 2008.
    I was going to buy an '07, but it's so close to the 8's coming out, I am going to wait.
    I haven't heard of any problems with the '07 heads, so I assume that problem is history. :)
  • jfritschjfritsch Posts: 958
    How in the world would they put a v8 into a chassis that they had to compromise and put a 5 cylinder in as it is? No other mid size (tacoma, frontier, possilbly ridgeline) has anything said about a v8 and they have bigger dimensions and possibly just barely the space for a small one.
    The Dakota is the only one with a v8 and it is the biggest of the bunch. Keep looking for info on this rumor for the Colorado as you won't find any. Its not gonna happen.

This is a compromsied vehicle with a small engine, poor towing and with cheap amenities and expensive too. Get a Frontier, Tacoma, Ridgeline, or if you need GM, or a v8 a Silverado -- one of the best in the fullsize class. (you can work 7-8k off msrp deals now with this truck of the year, 4k off the Tacoma and Frontier and about 6k off the Ridgeline) You may be able to work 8-10k off a Dakota. The dodge Ram 1500 4x4 crew is advertised for 12000 off list frequently, although a large full size.

Before you go Colorado please do yourself a favor and drive the alternatives. You will be happy you did.

--jjf

I have been hearing that 5.3 rumor for over a year. First time I heard it was for this year.
    I would love to hear confirmation on that. I have been searching the web trying to find out anything I can about the 2008.
    I was going to buy an '07, but it's so close to the 8's coming out, I am going to wait.
    I haven't heard of any problems with the '07 heads, so I assume that problem is history.
  • KCRam@EdmundsKCRam@Edmunds Mt. Arlington NJPosts: 3,495
    Same way they got the 5.3 in the Impala. It's not about the power, it's the size. The 5.3 is only 4 cylinders "long" as opposed to the I-5 which takes up more space lengthwise. This is why Colorado/Canyon critics have wondered for years why GM didn't use the 4.3 V6.

kcram - Pickups Host

KCRam - Pickups/Wagons/Vans+Minivans Moderator

This is why Colorado/Canyon critics have wondered for years why GM didn't use the 4.3 V6.

Did we ever get an answer on that one? :)
  • KCRam@EdmundsKCRam@Edmunds Mt. Arlington NJPosts: 3,495
    I've heard because it's based on the old 350 (4.3 just has 2 cyls cut off) and they'd prefer to use a newer engine design. I'd think it would be a better stopgap than the I-5 until they get a new truck V-6 in production.

kcram - Pickups Host

KCRam - Pickups/Wagons/Vans+Minivans Moderator

Ah. Makes sense...sort of. They seemilngly alienated a few die-hard truck guys who wanted some real torque from a traditional engine.

I really don't know, is there a new truck V6 coming anytime soon? Or is the 3.6 GM's only real "V6" they've got now outside of the old 3.5/3.9 pushrods cam-in-block designs?(The 2.8L V6 found in the Saab doesn't count to me, 210 hp is now in 4-cylinder's territory).

--TheGrad
  • donn2390donn2390 Posts: 23
    GM invested far too much money in the new technology of the I-5 to go backwards to the 4.3 V6.
    The I-5 is tomorrow, so don't hold your breath on getting a V6, which has far less HP.
    The V8 is a possibility because it uses the same frame as the Hummer which has the V8. Seems to fit fine in there..!
    Before I would ever consider buying foreign, I will continue to drive my '91 S-10 with 160 K on it.
    On a random side note, I just got hit by an older S-10 (the really boxy years) that had racing stripes on it. The pictures of my wrecked car are on my carspace. You didn't by chance hit me yesterday did ya? :)

Just messin with ya. :)
    Prices you are quoting seem a bit too good to be true! :)

>"Get a Frontier, Tacoma, Ridgeline, or if you need GM, or a v8 a Silverado -- one of the best in the fullsize class. (you can work 7-8k off msrp deals now with this truck of the year, 4k off the Tacoma and Frontier and about 6k off the Ridgeline) You may be able to work 8-10k off a Dakota. ,"

These prices are way below dealer cost and dealer holdback.

Please explain how you do it. A friend is looking to buy a New Silverado right now !

Thanks,

Kip
  • jfritschjfritsch Posts: 958
    Check out my message 14394 in the Honda Accord prices paid section. All ya need to know. Email 10-30 dealers for quotes end of the month. All the full size pickups -Tundra, f series Silverado wholesale about 10k off MSRP year one. They will not move without sizeable incentives. Obviously for a good deal you want a considerable amount off.

You want about 7-8k+ off a 30+ k Silverado for a good deal and more for the Dodges. Silverado has had a reprieve from the norm the last few months for the Truck of the year headline but economics are returning to normal. Newly introduced Tundra too.

If your friend needs a full size tell him to investigate the Dodge 1500 4x4 crew or even mega crew. Its advertised frequently for 12k off MSRP a 5.7 hemi 33+k truck. Doing the above may produce an even bigger discount from the right dealer towards end of this month or next.

Please don't take invoice -holdback- advertised rebates/dealer incentives and assume you know dealer cost. Invoice has been more a nominal figure for more than 15 years. Unadvertised dealer cash and such for numerous models and particularly for the 20 mpg segment the last 3 years has been very substantial.

Buying a Dodge Durango for dealer "cost" with advertised rebates,holdback and such for a 7500 discount from MSRP is very painful. Its advertised frequently for 10k+ off. It wholesales 14000+ off MSRP year one. This is one of the more extreme examples for illustration of hidden dealer cash.

August will probably be a shooting gallery again with major discounts on Honda Pilot (7500+ off 6000 off now) etc. If your friend is flexible on colors and such waiting a month or two getting some competitive bids end of month may produce some really great deals. $4000 off a 26000+ Frontier or Tacoma crew, $5000 off the 4runner is no big whoop now.

In general taking the wholesale price of a year old used vehicle like the one you're looking for and adding 15-20% is a useful target price for a new vehicle. Obviously you're shooting for the lower or better towards end of the model year. This holds for 95% of production vehicles. It also illustrates buying a year old used car anymore isn't usually a great idea.

If you want extended warranties try to keep it around $700 or so for a 7year/100k bumper to bumper factory warranty for the Ford or Chev (they already have sizeable warranties) and $1000 or so for the Dodge (funny everyone else is extending their standard powertrain warranties and Dodge dropped their 7/70 last year).

Happy Hunting
    --jjf

Prices you are quoting seem a bit too good to be true!

"Get a Frontier, Tacoma, Ridgeline, or if you need GM, or a v8 a Silverado -- one of the best in the fullsize class. (you can work 7-8k off msrp deals now with this truck of the year, 4k off the Tacoma and Frontier and about 6k off the Ridgeline) You may be able to work 8-10k off a Dakota. ,"

These prices are way below dealer cost and dealer holdback.

Please explain how you do it. A friend is looking to buy a New Silverado right now !

Thanks,

Kip
This discussion has been closed.