Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Midsize Pickup Comparo

Comments

• kipkkipk Posts: 1,576
    This guy has patience. Sent him a copy of your response.

Thanks,
    Kip
  • rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,661
    Yes, a V8 is coming in the Colorado, but not for 2008. I've gotten that from a source I trust.

Bob
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    Makes sense since the H3 will get a V8 IIRC.

-mike
  • poncho167poncho167 Posts: 1,178
    I saw it on autob--g a couple weeks ago. Left out a couple letters because of the Edmunds rules. Let me know if you can't figure it out.
  • donn2390donn2390 Posts: 23
    I found the site, and I found the full size Chevy's, but can't find Colorado. The site is new to me, I couldn't find an esy way to look other than go page by page... I'll keep trying to figure it out. Thanks for the tip....
  • jfritschjfritsch Posts: 958
    I still don't know how they would shoehorn a V8 into a Colorado when the 5 cylinder is the big one now. Any redesign enough to put a V8 in this machine would put you quickly into Silverado territory which would seem counterproductive.

Given the Tacoma and Frontier are bigger and a V8 is probably impractical for them are you sure the rumors arent for a V6 (wowsers) for the Colorado?

--jjf
    The rumors I heard were for the 5.3 V8. The Hummer has that engine and Hummer uses the same frame the Colorado does, so it can't be to tought to make it fit with the Colorado body.
    I really don't need anymore than the I-5 provides, but would be interested in looking at the V-8, were it to be ooffered, before making a decision. It the price were right, and the mileage were tempting, I might go for an "8".. ! ;)
  • obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    the same plant in Louisiana.
    I'm speaking totally from ignorance of anything you might have read but are you sure the Hummer H3 isn't based on Surburban or Chevy Silverado frame? I find it hard to believe a 6000 lb Hummer is based on the smallest of the Mid-size Colorado frame. I don't think the Dakota frame (largest mid size) could do it.

--jjf

The rumors I heard were for the 5.3 V8. The Hummer has that engine and Hummer uses the same frame the Colorado does, so it can't be to tought to make it fit with the Colorado body.
    I really don't need anymore than the I-5 provides, but would be interested in looking at the V-8, were it to be ooffered, before making a decision. It the price were right, and the mileage were tempting, I might go for an "8".. !
  • moparbadmoparbad Posts: 3,842
    I'm speaking totally from ignorance of anything

It is correct that the H3 is derived from the Canyon/Colorado.
    It is correct that the Colorado will offer a V8 since the engineering is already completed for the H3.
  • KCRamKCRam Mt. Arlington NJPosts: 3,516
    ...and it's the H2 that is derived from the Tahoe frame.

kcram - Pickups Host

Need help navigating? kcram@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

"I found the site, and I found the full size Chevy's, but can't find Colorado. The site is new to me, I couldn't find an esy way to look other than go page by page... I'll keep trying to figure it out. Thanks for the tip....

If you still haven't found the particular article on the V8 Colorado, just go back to it and in the top right hand corner search type-Colorado V8, and it will bring a couple things up.
    Thanks for helping a computer dummy find the information on the '08 with a V-8. Good articles....
    I hope the V-8 comes to pass. I have been Colorado shopping since '06, but have delayed the purchase waiting until I could pay cash. A home remodel has slowed my progress, and I'm glad now that it did.
    The problems with the 04, 05, and 06 heads make me very happy that I waited until that problem was fixed, now hearing about the V-8 makes me especially happy to have waited.
    The mileage should be at least as good as the I-5. It will be interesting to see what the tariff will be for the
    V-8..!
    I don't really need the extra HP, but what the heck, it will be my last vehicle.. Looks like a Christmas present for the old man..!! ;)
    If you must go with a chevy (gm card points etc) or need a V8. Please consider the Silverado Full size (Truck of the year) where gm put the effort. The Colorado is about last in its class in the mid size behind the Tacoma, Frontier and disregarding true 4wd, the Ridgeline. A quick inspection and test drive of them will make this obvious. With deals of about $4000-6000 off MSRP for them it makes them a no brainer at $23000-25000.

The Full Size Chevy Silverado Crew has a turning circle only about 2' wider than the Colorado, is much higher in quality, takes on all competitiors in its class, Powerful V8, and is becoming available at $7000-9000 off MSRP as the summer progresses (as it did last year). At 25000 or so for a 33000 truck, it would be hard to fork out about the same for the Colorado, unless you have a lot of GM points and you really really really need a mid size. Test drive em and find out.

Since you're Santa put something shiny in the stocking instead of a lump of coal.

Good Luck
    --jjf

Thanks for helping a computer dummy find the information on the '08 with a V-8. Good articles....
    I hope the V-8 comes to pass. I have been Colorado shopping since '06, but have delayed the purchase waiting until I could pay cash. A home remodel has slowed my progress, and I'm glad now that it did.
    The problems with the 04, 05, and 06 heads make me very happy that I waited until that problem was fixed, now hearing about the V-8 makes me especially happy to have waited.
    The mileage should be at least as good as the I-5. It will be interesting to see what the tariff will be for the
    V-8..!
    I don't really need the extra HP, but what the heck, it will be my last vehicle.. Looks like a Christmas present for the old man..!!
    "If you must go with a chevy (gm card points etc) or need a V8. Please consider the Silverado Full size (Truck of the year) where gm put the effort. The Colorado is about last in its class in the mid size behind the Tacoma, Frontier and disregarding true 4wd, the Ridgeline. A quick inspection and test drive of them will make this obvious. With deals of about $4000-6000 off MSRP for them it makes them a no brainer at $23000-25000."

The Silverado may be the best, but like the other full- sized trucks they are too much $$$, and the truck is way too big for regular driving. I have owned both compact and full size trucks and the compact (well now they are mid-size) is more of my size. It you could get the $4-6,000 off the MSRP on a full-size truck, than you should also be able to make a deal for a Colorado/Canyon. Other than the head problems of the past Colorado models, the rest of the truck is quite nice. I found nothing wrong with the interior and have driven a couple. The front end is the only part I don't car for in the truck. Hopefully my nephew doesn't have any issues with his 2005 Canyon that he bought new late last year.
    This is just out of curiosity but have you actually gone to a dealer, and test driven a 06-07 Frontier Crew ,Tacoma or Ridgeline and compared them (build, handling and interior)and what you get?

You can get 6000-8000 off the MSRP on a full size truck. $12000-14000 off the Dodge RAM 1500. (This puts a lot of full size truck in your hands for $22000 )

I would consider Colorado starting about $8000 off its (already high) MSRP due to its exterior styling and where it starts to become competitive with the others. A fellow at work got his for $9000 off an 06 end of December

Funny the only thing that attracted me initially to the Colorado was the front end and sheet metal in general. Go figure. It does look nice on the road.

Happy Hunting
    --jjf

The Silverado may be the best, but like the other full- sized trucks they are too much $$$, and the truck is way too big for regular driving. I have owned both compact and full size trucks and the compact (well now they are mid-size) is more of my size. It you could get the $4-6,000 off the MSRP on a full-size truck, than you should also be able to make a deal for a Colorado/Canyon. Other than the head problems of the past Colorado models, the rest of the truck is quite nice. I found nothing wrong with the interior and have driven a couple. The front end is the only part I don't car for in the truck. Hopefully my nephew doesn't have any issues with his 2005 Canyon that he bought new late last year.
  • driver56driver56 Posts: 408
    My 07 Nissan Frontier is more than big enough for this Puppy, particularly since it is driven mostly on city streets. Size-wise, I can barely fit it into my garage and then shut the door. And it's a short wheel base. Good truck so far, fun to drive, handles well, gets decent mileage if one goes easy.
    Just for info, what model is it and price paid?

--jjf

My 07 Nissan Frontier is more than big enough for this Puppy, particularly since it is driven mostly on city streets. Size-wise, I can barely fit it into my garage and then shut the door. And it's a short wheel base. Good truck so far, fun to drive, handles well, gets decent mileage if one goes easy
  • driver56driver56 Posts: 408
    It is a Nismo 4x4 Crew Cab. I paid $36500 CDN. pre tax.
    "I would consider Colorado starting about $8000 off its (already high) MSRP due to its exterior styling and where it starts to become competitive with the others. A fellow at work got his for $9000 off an 06 end of December."

$9,000 off with rebates, GM card, and other dealer discounts maybe. They are not going to lose money selling a truck to your friend even though pickups are known to be the most over-priced.

The only thing that doesn't make the Colorado/Canyon competitive is the lack of towing and hauling. The truck obviously is underpowered compared to the competition but that will supposedly change. The previous S10 was a work horse in comparison that could out-haul and tow much more than the Colorado.

As far as looks other than the contraversal front end styling of the Colorado, from the door back it is a clean design unlike the Japanese models. The Nissan in my opinion is still the ugliest truck on the market. I used to sell Nissan hard bodies (what they used to call them) and preferred them over the Toyota because I sold them. When I talk of clean styling I am saying that clean to a custom truck builder means no ridges, big wheel wells, or general odd shapes. Smooth lines are best for customizing and the Nissan is far from it. I don't mean to attack your preference in a truck, but Nissan trucks are on the uggo side. What is with Nissan with that silly tailgate latch. Both trucks have this huge tailgate latch area, for what? It is best styling wise to keep things to a minimum including the tailgate latch. Most custom truck owners remove or reverse the tailgate latch any ways, but the Nissan would need a custom tailgate to fix that.

Have I driven one, no I haven't. No reason to. I have seen them and that is good enough. The Colorado is light duty and that is why it is praised for ride and handling. All these trucks and most cars are pretty much the same nowadays except for engines and some other minor differences. Even if the Colorado hasn't won any shoot-outs, that doesn't mean its a bad truck. Mostly from what I have read it comes up short on power, but who really needs more than that in these supper light duty trucks. Most only drive them on the road any ways with nothing in the back. Give me a four cylinder and leave it at that. Chevrolet in general have alot going for them with their reputation for longevity. My 1992 S10 will attest to that. Wouldn't it be boring if everyone had the same truck? To each his own. Happy trucking.
This discussion has been closed.