Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota FJ Cruiser vs Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• Just saw references (first at insideautomotive) to the talks between Cerberus and the General. Looking at a wrangler unlimited, but with these developments brewing maybe I'll wait and see if an old fashioned 4wd small truck is coming from asia. During my brief crd ownership, it seems jeepsters will be weeping and gnashing their teeth. It appears Chrysler owners hate gm and ford for past experience and jeepsters are jeepsters for life (but a better engine for the wrangler is wanted).
  • vtdogvtdog Posts: 163
    Just thought I would throw in my 2c.

You are either out of your mind, or on drugs if you are thinking of getting your 16yo son a wrangler. Giving a new driver a car like a wrangler is just asking for trouble. I can guarantee that he will: do something stupid with the car, get in a wreck, try being "cool" with the car to all his pals and at the same time the insurance on the car is costing you more than its worth. New drivers should never be given either high perfromance, or specialty cars as they simply do not have the experience to handle them safely. You can expect only trouble with the choice of a wrangler. Try getting him a used Taurus, corolla, or some such type car that is boring and safe.

You can do whatever you want, of course, but I just thought someone should give you an alternative thought.
  • we are not talking about tacomas. but the fj 40. the fj40 is far better then any jeep i have had. i had a 1977cj7 a 1986 yj and now that painfull time is over i have a fj40 and its almost the best off road. the only thing better off road than a fj 40 is a volvo c303 and i have one of them too.
  • fourx4everfourx4ever Posts: 169
    The FJ-40 was pretty much just a mid 70's technology CJ-7 with a direct copy of a Chevy six cylinder for an engine. It was good, had far more off-road potential than the FJC but it was nothing really special.

A (shorter) CJ-5 with the factory V-8 would walk all over it off-road

Also, neither the CJ or the FJ hold a candle to a Wrangler Rubicon on the trails.
    I see the consumer ratings on the Wrangler has passed the FJC. Who knows what it means, but it sure does beat the FJC off-road.
  • jg7jg7 Posts: 1
    I bought the FJC new in 07, it was a cool new look. Hard to see out of and felt boxed in. I did like it though. I bought it in November and come June I was jealous of all the wranglers with their tops off. Finally sold it and bought a 09 Wrangler Sahara. Ready for winter and can't wait for summer!
  • I have read the posts and need some help from the experts. I am not and experience off-roader who want to climb vertical cliffs. I am however a fly-fisherman who want to get back to the native creeks and up and down the mountain trails that my old legs will not allow me to hike. It will also be a transportation vehicle -- not just for the fun.

I have looked at and driven the FJ Cruiser and Jeep Wrangler/Rubicon 4dr. I also tend to get obsessive about things once I get started. I am in a dilema on which way to go -- need expert input.

I looked at the Rubicon model because it seems to be the Jeep product that has reliability and integrity. The brand new sport wrangler would not back up over the dealers embankment for a test drive -- they tried not me.

The FJ appeared well made and got some decent off road reports out of consumers report but dinged on the mileage and safety.

Which car would you recommend for me? Is a 4 Runner set up for trails or something else a better option to get as a started????
  • I'll bite on the post, flifshr.

Why these two when there are trucks out there.
    TX and LA relatives moved to Tundra from Power Strokes and one Cummins.
    Thought the FJ was going away.
    Look at the ads that I am getting sick of seeing -
    I am Ram (Dodge name to disappear) and I am Jeep.
    Almost embarrassed to own a Wrangler, but I'll ignore these ads from the current owners and wait for the next go around if there is one.
  • The Fj is OK, but it could never take the place of a Jeep.
  • robsisrobsis Posts: 160
    If only the Jeep were actually a reliable vehicle......instead of a money pit... :confuse:
  • kwk1kwk1 Posts: 39
    The FJC has a windshield that's very prone to damage due to the upright angle it is at. I've also read many incidents of the inner fenders cracking and binding.
    When I was at a dealer looking at one, I closed the door and it was so flimsy, I guess because of that small back door it closes on. Just felt cheap to me, nevermind the rediculous visibility.
  • mountainman52mountainman52 Posts: 11
    edited July 2010
    Everyone knows that after you get your wheeler off the lot it's time for mods. Throw some big tires and a tow hitch on your almighty Jeep. Then enjoy me as I blow your doors off on the highway while you tow your boat in the emergency lane. Jeeps are great if you like to tow your wheeler to go off roading. But for practical purposes especially everyday driving you're fooling yourself saying your Jeep is anything but a SLUG. They also lack comfort. IT'S A JEEP THING.
    That being said, I'll throw an ARB locker in the front differential and I think that should compensate for your Jeep EGO'S.
    Thank God for FREEDOM of choice.
    p.s. Jeep 202h.p. FJ 260h.p. bye bye!!
  • Jeep windshields are just as bad FLAT. I've owned both and the Jeep has just as many negeative points. Starting with the no power V6, to the whistle and leaks you get after time through the removable top.
    Both vehicles have their purpose.
    Jeep: tow to the trail and enjoy being tossed around like a Rube icon
    Or drive an FJ in comfort and have good off road capability.
  • clarkkentclarkkent Posts: 154
    If you want, I'll give you my card. It has my cell phone # on it.

When you get stuck going "off road" in your friends gravel driveway and you get stuck, just give me a call and I'll come pull you out with my old 1942 Jeep.

I kind of remember the guys that built your FJ were running AWAY from Jeeps like mine in 1942.

They still are today too.
  • mountainman52mountainman52 Posts: 11
    edited August 2010
    Sorry for you. Seems like your stuck fighting a "WAR IN YOUR HEAD". I also own a 1948 Willys jeep. I think you need to learn to read because, I said that I own both a JEEP and an FJC. For your information the Japanese do build QUALITY automobiles and trucks. TRY ONE. Unless you're too narrow minded.
    Let's hook up your 1942 4 cylinder flathead, provided you haven't dropped a V8 in it , to the back of my FJC. When you get tired of me towing you around backwards then we'll have a real conversation.
    My point was they both have their purpose, And if you think that I get stuck in my friends gravel driveway then you obviously have no clue about off roading anyway. You're not offroad if your in a driveway.
    p.s. I own a ranch at 8900 ft in the Colorado Rockies you know SNOW, MUD,ETC,
    guess what, the FJC has no problem. Just have to KNOW HOW TO DRIVE .
    I kidd you not. That car got excellent millage. When I looked up the EPA ctiy/highway mileage and compared it to the CRV (2005) and Subaru (same year) the AMC Eagle was actually a few mpg better.

Shame Chrysler didn't have the brains to keep making that car after they bought AMC.
    edited August 2010
    'Just have to KNOW HOW TO DRIVE'

I'm just guessing, but would that be with lot's of speed, and therefore momentum?
  • Someoun who has some sence is on here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • kwk1kwk1 Posts: 39
    The manual trans. FJ's are having problems with the throw out bearing. Toyota put out a TSB for it. They also redesigned the fenders and added extra bracing in the new models to try and aleviate the crumpling fender issues.
    As for Jeep, sounds like the Pentastar will makes it's way into the 2012 Wranglers, should be just under 300HP.
  • I find it amazing when people try to put down a toyota thinking it will make there domestic seem better, ok, for your jeep problems, here are few of 1000s
    http://www.consumeraffairs.com/automotive/jeep.htm
    the 1000s of stall at high speed complaints, the 100000s of windows problems, or lets talk about the death wobble among 1000s of other things, the FJ has never had a recall, the jeeps 1000s of them for everything, We wont even get into the cherokee electrical problems, dont even dare try to compare the quality between the jeep and Toyota,
    http://www.internetautoguide.com/10-1/auto-recalls.html
    look up to see how many recalls yours has.
    here some more jeep problems
    http://www.4wdonline.com/bbs/messages/30/369.html
    or
    http://www.jeepproblems.com/
    http://consumerguideauto.howstuffworks.com/1997-to-2006-jeep-wrangler-2.htm

I only put this because on a FJ cruiser board, where guys beat there FJs off road, some have crumpled, nothing to the point of not being able to drive, not near as many broken axels of jeeps (you beat anything enough, it will break)
    Only telling of SOME, i repeat SOME of the jeep stuff cause your running your mouth about squash, I can post 1000s and 1000s of HUGE problems thats jeeps have in the last 3 years