Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy S10 - GMC S15 and Sonoma Steering questions

2»

Comments

• jae5jae5 Posts: 1,205
    Am having a problem with getting the steering wheel center on my 99 S-10 2WD. The truck has undergone another major engine surgery from the latest issues (major coolant leaks from water pump and heads). Won't go into it in-depth as it's pretty lengthy and the problem has been corrected under the engine warranty. Anyway, when I got the rig back the steering wheel was way off, due to the steering shaft being disconnected in order to remove the drive-side head / exhaust manifold. I took it back and they corrected the problem but not perfectly. The wheel is still of a little so that if I straighten it as it should be the truck will start to drift slightly left (wheel is a couple degrees to the right, maybe a spline or two off).

Having been through the back-forth thing too many times with the repair facility I was wondering if I can remove / adjust the steering shaft to get the wheel back to perfect on-center as it was before. I looked in my service manual and it seems the intermediate shaft can be removed, removing the pinch bolt but there aren't any definite instructions / illustrations on how to do it. If I'm not mistaken, there should be a flat on the intermediate shaft that this pinch bolt, when installed, rest against in order for the shaft to be "locked" into position correct? Where is is pinch-bolt? I'm not really thrilled about the alternative of removing the steering wheel / air-bag assembly to set the wheel straight. Does anyone here have any suggestions on how to accomplish this? It's more of an annoyance than anything.

any help would be most appreciated.
  • jae5jae5 Posts: 1,205
    Problem solved. Needed to make an adjustment non-related to the steering shaft (tired that as well and didn't not solve the problem).
2»
This discussion has been closed.