Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pontiac Sunfire Electrical Problems

Comments

• I have a 2005 Sunfire. Every now and then the lights on my dashboard will light up. Sometimes only for a few seconds. One time they stayed on and I called my dealership. That's when they told me to come in and not turn off my car b/c it thought it was being stolen. Just the other night my air bag light flashed on for about 3 seconds. This is already after I've had the front stuts replaced b/c they went bad after a year. Let me just say, I'm sorry I ever bought this car. Any suggestions?
  • 944s944s Posts: 42
    has anybody had any trouble with the sunroof on their sunfire,,, mine works when it wants to but it doesnt work properly,,, i know that there is a recall or technical service bulletin,, does anybody know if the dealership fix this?????
  • I have a 2001 Sunfire where the dashboard will go blank and displpay "ERROR" on the odometer. It used to be intermittent, but now the whole display is blank. Have you seen this symptom? Has anyone?
  • I think it's fairly safe to say most Sunfires are JUNK! I really liked mine (mainly the body style) when I first got it. Since 2000, I've had the same power window worked on FIVE TIMES, heater blower, wipers, radio, car alarm, and now the flasher's out and I can't even find it to replace it! After four Pontiacs in a row, NO MORE!
  • Just bought a 2001 Sunfire. The odometer reads the mileage just fine when I first start the car, but after a few minutes/seconds the display shows a series of numbers and dashes, that is kinda faint, where the mileage reading should be. If I bang on the instrument cluster, it will go back to showing my true mileage, but then it starts the erratic readings again almost immediately. Anyone know how to fix this problem?
  • I have a 2000 Sunfire. My lights that show my heater and blower area is out. Does anyone know how to fix them. The fuses are in proper condition because that is the first thing I checked.
  • I have a 98 pontiac sunfire 2.4. I have done lots of repairs we wont even go there right now. My starter went out and I had my sons to replace it. Well they broke off a wire to the crankshaft sensor and let a wire going to the alternater touch the frame and it sparked. I replaced the crank shaft sensor. When I try to crank it I hear a clicking noise coming from under the glove box. I was told there were some relays under there but I can't find them. Any one have any ideas. Thank you.
  • My 98 sunfire pees on me when it rains, I have duck tape around it but it doesn't stop everything. The motor in it works fine but the one side won't lift up right because of the assembly. Could be your motor.
  • 13,000 miles. I bought the car with only 3,000 miles. I notice that GM is offering an extended warranty on all if not most repairs. Obviously there must be known issues. The engine just started staying on today. It has been extremely cold here in Toronto. The car wants to chug and feels like it is going shut off. Never had this problem before. I looked at the serpintine belt and seems to be OK. I maintain regular oil changes. Tonight I will have the block heater plugged in and see what happens.

Why would GM issue a card, of the extended warranty. I only notice that it was in the glove compartment recently.

Regards.
  • i just got my sunfire recently, and the other day, i was just coasting behind sonone and i look down and my speedometer reads 0. also i noticed my gas gauge fluctuates alot too. almost a half tank, but only when it gets low in gas. is this s fuse or relay problem, wiring, or do i just need a new cluster panel? any suggestions would be appreciated.
  • Bowmanville here. How many KM's are on the car. Sounds like you may been a new cluster panel. Do you no someone private that has a tester? It it 2.4 ltr engine. Let me no and will give you a couple of suggestions.
  • i do not have someone private to test it, but have been thinking of getting one my self, found on for 50 dollars. it is a 2.2 ltr engine, and it has about 115,000 miles on it. everything else runs GREAT on the car. could it be a bad sensor somewhere?
  • To do a proper test if would have to be done by a computer adapter by. Your could call a GM dealership and ask how much they would charge to run the test. And decide from their. Let me know what they say. But a $50 tester is not computerized.
  • Hi All, I'm having a problem starting our 98 Pontiac Sunfire with an after market car alarm from Best Buy. (It's was installed eight years ago). I replaced the starter about a year ago with a re manufactured starter. I just had the battery tested and charged. The symptoms are, when the key is turned all the way forward to start position, all the ignition lights that are suppose to come on are on, but no start. There is no cranking of the starter or engine at all. I hear, what sounds like a little hum, which I think is normal, when I turn the key forward to the on position. I've had problems in the past with the alarm not wanting to disarm when pressing the disarm button. Or after disarming, I turn the key and no start, but the Alarm LED light is flashing indicating the alarm is armed. I push the disarm button again and it starts right up. I see what looks like three wires going from a part of the alarm system to the starter. How can I disconnect the alarm so that we can start the car? It's hard to tell which wire is the factory ignition wire. Thanks :shades:
  • Hi All, I'm having a problem starting our 98 Pontiac Sunfire with an after market car alarm from Best Buy. (It's was installed eight years ago). I replaced the starter about a year ago with a re manufactured starter. I just had the battery tested and charged. The symptoms are, when the key is turned all the way forward to start position, all the ignition lights that are suppose to come on are on, but no start. There is no cranking of the starter or engine at all. I hear, what sounds like a little hum, which I think is normal, when I turn the key forward to the on position. I've had problems in the past with the alarm not wanting to disarm when pressing the disarm button. Or after disarming, I turn the key and no start, but the Alarm LED light is flashing indicating the alarm is armed. I push the disarm button again and it starts right up. I see what looks like three wires going from a part of the alarm system to the starter. How can I disconnect the alarm so that we can start the car? It's hard to tell which wire is the factory ignition wire. Thanks :shades:
  • Your still under warranty. Take it immediately to the dealership. The extended warranty is the power train. There should be a little grean card inside you warranty book. Does the engine light come on at all. Mine did, also tried the block heater. Took it in and found it was only running on 3 cylenders. It GM's responsibility. BUT it the engine light is coming on or not TAKE IT IN. Mine was taken in 2 weeks ago.
  • masterpaul1masterpaul1 Posts: 421
    Here is the update. I was able to disconnect the alarm, according to the manufactures instructions, with no luck. Still doing the same thing. I haven't given up yet. Since I know that the battery is fine, I'm going to take off the starter and have it tested. (Going to try hitting it with a hammer first to see if it will start.) I remember for the past month or so, how the car would take three times to turn over, when she sat for more than two days of not being started. Maybe this was a sign of the starter going bad and I misdiagonised the problem.
    Here is the update. I was able to disconnect the alarm, according to the manufactures instructions, with no luck. Still doing the same thing. I haven't given up yet. Since I know that the battery is fine, I'm going to take off the starter and have it tested. (Going to try hitting it with a hammer first to see if it will start.) I remember for the past month or so, how the car would take three times to turn over, when she sat for more than two days of not being started. Maybe this was a sign of the starter going bad and I misdiagonised the problem.
  • dbeeredbeere Posts: 7
    February 16, 2007 the engine light stayed on. They replaced the EGR Modules as it was running on only 3 cylenders.

Sunday, March 4th 2007 the engine light came on again. Drove off the highway sufficent to get to a local spot.

Called the GM hotline and the car was towed to my home.

It only has 27,000 KM's.

Has anyone with the same car had similiar problems. 2.2
    It wasn't the alarm at all. :confuse: It was the starter. :mad: I hit the starter with a hammer a few times and she started right up. After five days of this and about 4 hours of my time total, I was so happy that I had figured out the problem. I was going to have the car towed to the dealer for them to figure it out. So the fix really only cost us about 6 hours of my time and about $10 in parts to reconnect the alarm system. :)