Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Tundra Towing Questions

Comments

• The route i'm taking is pretty flat, I-20 all the way, and my transmission is good. So, i shouldn't worry about the load?
  • sebring95sebring95 Posts: 3,232
    3,500# right?? A minivan can tow that and some do all the time without problems. You've got plenty of truck there, I wouldn't even blink. I've pulled similar/bigger loads with mine several times. In fact, I'm pulling around 3,000# from Maine to TN next month and there are gobs of mountains in between. I could take my diesel pickup and tow it like it wasn't even back there, but 3,000 on a 1/2 ton is very comfortable. Particularly the direction I'm traveling empty and driving around little coastal towns. Not good for a dually pickup!
  • Just watch the mpg's while towing. Trailer boats did a test and driving at 65 mpg towing a Sea Ray 220 sundeck witch is a bit less than what you got it gets 8.1 mpg.

In our “Double Nickels” scenario, we towed a Sea Ray 220 Sundeck completely empty, and covered its bow and cockpit to reduce drag. We made sure the boat and trailer were level with the truck, and checked that all the tires were filled to their recommended psi. We also never drove faster than 55 mph on our test route.

In our “Speedy” scenario, we kept the same setup, but drove 65 mph instead of 55. This change in speed will answer whether it’s worth resisting the temptation to travel at the rate you are accustomed to when not towing.

In our “Does It Matter?” scenario, we really messed with our rig. First we dropped the air in the Tundra’s tires to 25 psi, down from their original 35 psi. Then we took off the Sea Ray’s covers, and even latched the door separating the bow area from the cockpit for some extra wind resistance. Finally, we added 500 pounds of weight to the boat, in the form of a dozen 5-gallon buckets filled with water. The 220 Sundeck has a 50-gallon fuel tank, so this weight is the equivalent of driving with a full tank of gas and 200 extra pounds of gear.

The Tundra’s computer confirmed what we experienced on our test route. In our “Does It Matter?” scenario, we achieved only 8.0 mpg, compared to 9.3 and 11.1 mpg for our “Speedy” and “Double Nickels” circuits, respectively. The actual numbers showed the trip computer was being a little generous, however. Our data, based on gallons burned and the miles we traveled, showed only 7.3 mpg for the “Does It Matter?” loop, 8.1 mpg for the “Speedy” scenario (an 0.8 mpg or 11 percent improvement), and 9.9 mpg for the “Drive 55” setup (a 2.6 mpg or 36 percent improvement).
  • ebenhebenh Posts: 1
    I have an 04 tundra reg cab long bed 4.7L V8 and want to tow a 2000 21.5ft nash 5th wheel which has a dry wt of 4500 pounds. I see a lot of travel trailer towing in discussions. Has anyone towed a 5th wheel or know of problems? I expect to get airbags, brake package. My tundra has a tow package.
  • I am really putting this new 2007 dbl cab 5.7 v8 4x4 toyota tundra to the test. Installed a supergliude 5th wheel hitch. To tow a 10,000lb 5th wheel RV Tongue weight ( payload ) is aprox 500lbs over trucks rating. Added air bags to help take the load of the suspension and level out the truck. A little extra air in the rear tires. Tire max load is 2601. I think I am ok with this. What do You think ? Hitched up and pulled this combination home. Only 7 to 10 miles on flat florida roads, But did go up and over a good size incline overpass. Truck handled well, torque was doing a good job and the power was there. did get up to 60 mph. Stopped well. Hope it will do a good and safe job when I take this combination to N.C. This June. This will be the true test. Anyone have any suggestions ? Iwill keep us posted on this trucks abilities. It is pushing her limits and might be a little out of its weight class. But I owned this truck only 4 months with 3500 miles on it. To trade it for an upgraded ford F 250 I would have to get the v10 gas engine and a 4.10rear axle . And this really does not even give me much more torque or horse power. Just gives me a heavier truck and frame over all. It will cost me about 14,000 out of pocket expense with the trade in of my Tundra which I really like. So I opt to give the Tundra a chance. Hope and pray it will stay and be my towing choice. Will keep you posted on this. I am sure u will be interested in the results. I would also like anyone else experiance with towing big loads. Thanks Until whenever I am Richard B
  • I own a 07 tundra 5.7 tow haul,auto,4x4 I tow a jayco eagle 314 bhs t/t.O.K. it`s a 31 foot travel trailer with a 14 foot slide,it`s our 7 th t/t My f-250 super duty 5.4 gas couldn`t handle the jayco the way my new tudra can.Just keep in mind that you want the longest wheel base that you can get in the truck.My trailer weighs 8900 loaded,tongue is around 876.My tundra is rated to haul 10300 handles it fine.ford got a long way to go to beat this truck.381 horse with 400 lbs foot torque and 430 gears ford chevy,dodge can`t even come close.....oh yea i got a 7.5 foot boss plow on the front during the winter .trucks are made to work not to look at,and it`s snowing rite now......
  • What do you think? I have a V8 5.7L 1-ton double cab extended bed with tow package. I want to pull a 39' camper that weighs slightly less than 8200 lbs. dry. I read previously that a truck is meant to work, not just to look at. Well, the truck is under an extended warranty, just want to hear some thoughts.......
  • ahedgesahedges Posts: 9
    with a 39 footer your going to get sway,what`s the tongue weight? loaded your probably be at around 9800 lbs.,Make sure you have lift bars on it and a good sway control on the hitch.The truck should handle it o.k. But 39 feet is alot of trailer to tow.I wouldn`t want to tow that long.Another thing is it a t/t or fifth wheel?To try it out go to a campground close to home and see what it does.It`s a work horse with the 5.7/430 gears. have fun!!!!!!!
  • cbarton4cbarton4 Posts: 1
    We are considering purchasing a Toyota Tundra 5.7L double cab (with the tow package.) We would like to tow a toy hauler with an estimated GVWR of 9,000, GDW of 5,449 and hitch dry weight of 764. Is anybody doing something similar? If so, what has been your experience with the Toyota Tundra. Thanks.
  • mule4mule4 Posts: 36
    I pull a 34ft. Jayco Eagle bumper pull 9500# loaded weight 1125# tongue wt. It does a good job even in mountains.I have a 2007 4-wheel drive off road.very strong truck. I get 19 to 19.4 miles per gal not loaded on interstste driving to conserve fuel. Lots of people must drive like they are racing.that their mileage is bad.
    do you use air bags with that toungue weight?????or did you have the truck resprung??
  • mule4mule4 Posts: 36
    No i use a load level lizing hitch & a sway bar My spelling not good maybe you can understand what i'm talking about.Good Luck
  • rcp357rcp357 Posts: 2
    I recently purchase an '07 used (had 3500 miles on it) Tundra Crew Max 2WD Limited that is loaded. I love the truck. Best truck by far I've ever driven at 100 mph. Holds the road like a dream.

However, I can't seem to get the towing stability like I like it. I recently purchased a Flagstaff V-Lite (weighs 6250 dry). I have an Equalizer load leveler/sway control hitch system. I even purchased air bag spring helpers to go on it, which did help a good bit. After much adjustment, I've finally got it to where it will tow pretty good at around 62 mph in high winds (both times I towed it with air bags was in high winds; I had towed it previously with low winds).

I'm pretty sure I have the towing package (I have the connectors, the tranny cooler, etc.) but I'm wondering if the suspension isn't the tow suspension (meaning the rear leaf springs).

Anyway, if someone could give me some suggestions on possibly things I could try to improve towing stability, I'd really appreciate it. I'd like to be able to tow comfortably at 70 - 75 to keep up with traffic, but I haven't made it there yet.

Thanks,
    RCP357
  • sebring95sebring95 Posts: 3,232
    Is the trailer sitting level when hooked to the Tundra? Having the trailer sit level is key, so if it's not you need to adjust your hitch height and get it where it needs to be. Either way, I'm not sure this is a truck problem because most any 1/2 ton could handle this load, although high winds will cause you grief on a bumper-pull trailer, even the big-trucks. I pull 15,000# with my 1-ton on a Gooseneck trailer and it pulls like a dream, but a 12,000# boat hooked to the bumper is a completely different animal, particular in winds.
  • I have an 07 Tundra SR5 Crew Max that I think has a tow package (has a tow/haul button inside LOL) and I have gotten conflicting stories about whether or not I can tow a 5th wheel. I've been told that because the bed is short, I MIGHT be able to use a sliding hitch and tow a newer trailer with the protruding 5th wheel (vs older model where the king pin goes straight down) but that I couldn't tow the older models where the 5th wheel goes straight down. Anybody with any experience with this?
  • rcp357rcp357 Posts: 2
    I do have to level it out and work on getting the dimensions correct with the Equalizer Hitch I have.

There is one thing I'm curious about though. There is a lot of play in my drawbar/receiver. I put the drawbar in a another 2" hitch receiver and there was much less play. I measured my hitch receiver and it measured 2 1/8" inside-to-inside. I can move my drawbar around a good bit within my hitch receiver.

I'm wondering if the slop in my receiver could be having something to do with my problem.

Does anyone know anything about this?
  • I'm likely going to buy an '08 double cab long bed 5.4L V8 Tundra to tow my horse trailer - about 6000lbs loaded. Thinking I'll need weight distribution bars. Does anybody know if the kind Toyota sells are good or if I should just go with the Reese? For that matter, the entire hitch system: is it better to go with the Toyota brand or go to a good trailer suppy/instllation place?
  • quarquequarque Posts: 41
    I'm not familiar with the Toyota brand but the Equal-i-zer brand (cheap) is known for being very loud due to it's friction-based design. You also might consider air bags if you are mainly concerned with leveling the truck - they're adjustable and not too expensive. A good WDH is mucho $$$. Do you know what your hitch weight will be?
  • apptunapptun Posts: 18
    I have commented on this topic several times but it is worth another post. I pull a horse trailer that has a loaded weight of between 4800 and 6000 depending on the number of horses transported. I have no idea what the tongue weight is but before I made some changes, there was some serious "squatting" occurring. I added a pair of Timbrens at an installed cost of around $250. This completely fixed my problem at a fraction of the cost of other solutions. My 02 now has 75 k on the odometer and I have used the Timbrens for about 50k. I pull the trailer about 5k per year. I am sure that there are other brands out there to consider that are basically the same type of product. Good luck.
  • I have an 07 Tundra Limited Crewmax with the tow package. We just bought an 09 Keystone Mountaineer 32ft travel trailer (8900lbs dry). I am new to the RV and towing world (fishing boats only) but our Tundra towed it great. We just got back for TN, 2 hour drive one way. Driving 70-75 was no trouble. Coming home we had some very high winds, so I kept it at 60-65. We do have sway bars.
  • phanson1phanson1 Posts: 3
    Looking for information or opinions

I have a 2007 Tundra 5.7L and I tow my holiday camper. What is the ideal RPM for towing, along with a combination of transmission and tow haul mode?

I've read that the truck gets 401 foot pounds of torque at 3600rpms.

Over the last year I have tried a few things

When on Highways of speed limits of 100km I usually put it in Tow haul mode and in S mode on the transmission in 5th gear. This will give me 105-108 km/h at about 1900-2200rpm, pulling hills at 3000rpm
    When on highways of speeds of 110 I usually put it in Tow haul mode and S mode on transmission in 6th gear. This will give me 110-115 km/h at about 2000-2500 rpm and pulling hills at 3500 rpms.

I use to drive truck in the bush and remember that the more you lug a Caterpillar and heat it up the better it pulls and a Cummings the more you rev it the better it pulls. I know you are talking about a Tundra with an aluminum block and a caterpillar with a iron block.

I came through the Rocky Mountains last week and had no problem pulling any hill but the main question I have is on the big hills do I pull at 3600rpm or do I lug it and pull it at 2500rpm?
    I`ve been towng with my tundra for about a year now and no problems yet,pulls alot better than my f-250 super slug!!!!!!!!I pull a 31 foot jaco eagle with a 14 foot slide around 8800 lbs.It`s a t/t got no sway control just lift bars.axles are really in line never had any sway,rpm,don`t watch the tac when I tow tell by the engine sound need more juice put the rite foot down,tundra will take it don`t worry about it.Just crank the lift bars up tight........Make sure the trailer is LEVEL when it`s hooked up ready to travel,along with the truck,she`ll float down the road.....
  • I have a 2007 5.7 SR5 2wd long bed, we just finished a trip from east cost (Savannah Georgia to the west coast Monterey California and back pulling my 21ft Coachmen toy hauler. A couple of the things I noticed was the receiver is wearing (about a 1/8 to 3/16”) where the pin goes through the hitch. The other thing I have noticed is the transmission hunts i.e. when up shifting it goes from 4th into 5th then right away into 6th then back to 4th all in about 2 or 3 seconds. The other problem I noticed was when in drive applying any power it would hang in 3rd gear; this was fixed by putting the transmission in S and shifting to 6th before taking off. I spoke with the dealer in Arizona who said that get the Toyota service rep involved when I get home, when I returned home the folks here said it was fine and since there were no lights. The truck has lots of power the one thing I don’t like is the transmission and you can not lock it into any gear
  • Did you use the Tow haul mode at all, i find that you have more control over the shifting with tow haul and using the S mode on the shifter. I heard you have to watch the wear on the receiver, i have not checked since last August thanks.
  • It appeared to make no difference in shifting if it was in Tow/Haul or not
  • fredzimfredzim Posts: 1
    :) I have a 2000 Tundra with a towing package. Just bought a travel trailer, 6550 dry and 675 tong. Since then it was loaded up with camping essentials, pots, pans, tools etc. For the rear I first tried the stock set-up --- no good. Then I bought helper springs that mount right on top of the stock springs (from OEM/Partsbin at $345.48 incl ship'g) and that did the job. It's easy mounting and adjustable. Now the whole package is level, no swaying and little to no "side pushing" when passing a Semi.
    Hope I could help.
  • I'm heading tomorrow to Alaska with my 07 tundra and holiday trailer, I will play and watch the shifting patterns and see if I can get some consistency.
    no problems with my tundra towing withe exception of I`m getting some slop in my drive-line I still have to go in and have it checked but this slop didn`t show up when towing but showed up when driving it for 12 hours straight going from up-state new york down to the outerbanks north carolina.I read they have trouble with their propeler shafts I`ve had no problems towing at all.I tow a 31 foot jayco (eagle) with a 14 foot slide with the trailer loaded around 8900 tounge 865 shifts fine leave it in haul mode when towing it gives you the luging for starting out.It was designed for that use it...Just watch your temp., on the tranny if it starts to get hot or warmer check it out.
  • I am seriously considering purchasing an 08 Tundra 5.7L Truck to replace my 1996 F250 Power Stroke Diesel. I have gotten so many different opinions on the Tundra. I have a small landscape business and haul material almost every day, but cargo weight never exceed 6500 lbs w/ trailer 9500 lbs. Trailer is a bumper pull tandem axle. Some say the Tundra's engine and brake system are outstanding and some say I should stick to a diesel. I have also heard the body dings pretty easily. Some say gas mileage is fantastic but I read several forums that it is not.Anyone do daily medium towing or use their Tundra for construction work and have an opinion to its durability in the construction world.
    My opinion is 9500 lb., is o.k. but watch your tongue weight class IV would do it don`t go over 870 in the tongue weight the truck shold pull it fine and you`ll find that your gas milege towing will probably be around 13 better that the ford bottom end tork is rite there,gas is cheaper than diesel.Also it isn`t going to be in the shop with a 1,000.00 bill to ge it fixed .I`m all for going to the tundra the motor will scare you when you get on it,and you you`ll will just go in for oil changes,and tire rotation.
    also if you do landscaping snow plow cad be put on but only with the heavy front end bleive it`s a 4000 lb rating but check spec`s..
This discussion has been closed.