Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Corolla Audio Questions

124»

Comments

• stenicstenic Member Posts: 2
    Good shout.

I've got a voltmeter and assuming I've got the right wires - from another site :
    2006 Toyota Corolla Car Stereo Wiring Diagram
    Car Radio Battery Constant 12v+ Wire: Blue/White
    Car Radio Accessory Switched 12v+ Wire: Gray
    Car Radio Ground Wire: Brown

I get 12 volts from the Constant to the ground wire with the ignition on so I guess there is power to it.

Regards

Steve
  • terceltomterceltom Member Posts: 1,024
    Well at least you can shop comfortably knowing that it is your system that has the problem. Good luck and enjoy your new system when you get it.
  • 2010matrix2010matrix Member Posts: 1
    I have a similar problem. I have a 2010 Toyota Corolla Matrix. I have had very poor radio reception from the day I drove it off the lot. The dealer took it apart and checked the radio, wiring, etc. and can find no fault with it. It's bad enough that listening to the radio is just annoying and I end up turning it off. I was considering trying an aftermarket, longer-style antenna to see it that makes any difference. If anyone finds a solution, please post it! Thanks.
  • dotcom1dotcom1 Member Posts: 4
    I don't know about the Matrix but the Corolla's (2009) antennas are mounted in the rear window blended in with the rear window defroster and that is why they do not recieve very well especially AM. I don't know how they connect in the back of the radio (if they use the same kind of cable end that the old external antennas have or not). But if they do I would like to experment with an old fashion style antennna and see if that works works better, but I don't want to have to drill a hole in the body just to find out. (Side note) My wife has a Honda Odyssey (2006) and has the same reception problem. Can't hardly get local FM stations. I Can't see where the antenna is, Someone told me it is part of the body, I haven't ask anyone at the dealership about it. I think they need to go back to the old fashion type antennas. I had a 97 Plymouth Voyager that had the antenna on the front right fender and it was covered with black rubber or something and you could see a wire coiled up the stem under the covering and you could listen to AM & FM stations it seemed like forever before you lost the station and found another one. That is why I went to XM don't have that problem.
  • vertigo366vertigo366 Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem...i did check the wires and its the "Switched 12v+ Wire: Gray" that it doesn't have power i check all of the fusebox in the car (the one on the hood and inside the car) and they appear to be ok. any suggestion to why it doesn't have power? hidden fuse?
  • almichalmich Member Posts: 11
    I bought my 2010 Corolla S last November and recently my radio does not even turn on or power up at all when I start my car. I have only driven my car for 600 miles! If I take my car in for a warranty service, do I have to go to the dealership where I purchased my car? I am so disappointed that this happened! :lemon:
    Don't get too depressed, it's as simple as going to any Toyota Dealer for warranty service. It's definitely not a lemon of a car. It could be something very simple like a loose wire or something. If it is a radio problem they could swap it out in less than an hour providing they have one in stock. Either way I don't expect you'll incur any problems with whatever Toyota dealer you go to. Keep us informed.
  • jpaolijpaoli Member Posts: 26
    Plus since you are going to the dealer to have your radio check out. There is also a recall for the gas pedal for the model.
  • zekeman1zekeman1 Member Posts: 422
    Check the fuse.
    Dealers don't have the parts yet !
  • almichalmich Member Posts: 11
    I stopped by my local Toyota yesterday and waited two hours only for them to tell me that they could not solve the issue. They placed an order for a new radio and it will arrive in about a week.

I could have tried disconnecting and reconnecting the battery, and checked the fuse before I took it for service, but it did not occur in my mind at that time since my car is so new. These type of things should not be happening in new cars! I also found out today that my friend's coworker had the same radio issue with her 2010 Corolla S.
    Yea, your radio problem isn't the first I've heard about the new Corollas. Your right, new things shouldn't be broken but sometimes they are. It could've happened with any make or model. I'll give Toyota every benefit of the doubt to get their act back in order. After all for many, many years Toyota epitomized "reliability" in new cars. Anyway, I'm glad to here they are going to resolve your radio problem with only a small inconvenience to you.
  • aljonaljon Member Posts: 1
    My Radio is locked and i need a radio code for my 2001 toyota corolla verso
  • patd4upatd4u Member Posts: 1
    My 2010 Corolla S get terrible radio reception. I can hardly pick up any stations with it. and I am in southern Calif. My daughters GMC pickup can tune into stations that I can not get. I replaced the radio with a GPS/DVD/AM,FM system and still can not get very many stations. I wonder if it is the new stubby antenna they went with. Plus mine is painted the same color as the car and might be interfering with the antennas sensitivity.
  • happyfamilyhappyfamily Member Posts: 1
    My husband has spent hours trying to install an Scosche aux input adaptor in his 2005 Corolla. He hooked it up and it worked great for about 30 seconds. Then he reattached the antenna and now whenever the adaptor is plugged in there is no sound coming out of the speakers at all. If the adaptor is unplugged, the radio works fine, and the sound is there. He even tried unplugging the antenna to get it back to the settings where it worked, but still no sound. Any advice?
  • falonrussellfalonrussell Member Posts: 1
    I was removing the 6 disc in dash cd player from the dash, and when i started to pull the radio out, it started spitting out all the cds and then the radio powered OFF, and now i can't get it to work at all, it will not come back on since then...i didn't unhook ANY WIRES or anything, I just slowly pulled it a little out of the dash. Also the clock isn't working...what could this be? how could i go about troubleshooting this problem? i checked all the fuses and they are all good....I need to know where to go from here....thanks
  • violetwvioletw Member Posts: 2
    I recently burned a CD for my Mom to listen to in her car, a 2008 Corolla. Imagine my surprise when I put it in to try it out and it wouldn't play! This same CD-RW plays perfectly in my Yaris. What is going on? Do the Corollas not support CD-RW's at all? Or any burned CD in general? This would really surprise me, as the Yaris does and it is the less expensive car. Not to mention also has the mp3 connection. I don't get it. Anyone else have this issue?

Thanks!
  • circuitsmithcircuitsmith Member Posts: 117
    The CD-R is more broadly compatible than CD-RW. More durable too.
    I have no trouble with CD-R's in my 2006 Matrix.
  • violetwvioletw Member Posts: 2
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,145
    I'd be careful using those, especially if they are cheaper quality.

I've heard of other vehicles' CD players having trouble with them, and I had one shatter in a 6-CD changer in a vehicle, and then NONE of the CDs I had in there would eject or play. Had to take the whole unit out. After that happened, someone mentioned to me that this can happen with the cheaper-quality CDs (which of course I was using).

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• lemontrucklemontruck Member Posts: 1
    We pulled the factory radio out, learned about purchasing harness adapters, got the thing plugged back in, it worked, moved it around, now it won't work. We checked all the fuses, all fine. Is there a circuit breaker? A magic trick? A secret handshake?

Any help/advice greatly appreciated
This discussion has been closed.