Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Tacoma Tires and Wheels

Comments

• seranikoseraniko Posts: 27
    does the tps from 06 oem steel rims fits 05 oem trd alloys rims? anybody done this before?
  • goose55goose55 Posts: 6
    I have the five spoke custom alloy wheels on my 1995 Tacoma SR5 and with all the miles, they do look like they need care beyond wax. I do detect that the metal does have a coating. Does anyone know what material I might refinish them with after abraiding them with some emery cloth?
  • seranikoseraniko Posts: 27
    2 types of sensor, one for steel wheels and one for alloys. so u need to get the tpms for alloys to make it work for the o6 taco. pricey i know.
  • I feel the same way about the Duelers on my 99 Tacoma. They didn't get the mileage and began to cup half way through the life of the tire. Maybe the cupping is my fault; I put 12,000 miles on them before rotating. At this point the tires were loud enough for friends to notice. 14k later, they are worn out. I never would have thought of rotating every three weeks. This is not my field and jargon may be off here, but I believe that the Duelers increase lateral instability. Lately at 65-70 mph, I don't like the way the truck feels when changing lanes, it's much worse if the movement is quick, like when trying to avoid a javelina. I am not thinking about new Duelers even though the dealer promised a good deal.

The question remains, what next? A good friend is a tire engineer and he tells me that car manufactures develop models with a tire in mind, so I should consider going with the OE tire, a Dunlap. I had Goodyear Wrangler ATs on my 1986 Toy and really liked them.

I would appreciate comments and suggestions. :confuse:
  • I already posted this on the general Tacoma board but I figured that I would post it on here since this forum is specifically for Tires. I recently got a Silver Streak TRD Off Rd 4x4 Double Cab with Tube Steps...pretty sweet!!!! It seems to really be "pulling" to the left when driving on the highway and the steering wheel has some shake at high speeds above 65 or so. Just curious if this is a normal thing you guys have experienced with the bigger BF 265 tires or if it needs to be alligned? Keep in mind it is right off the lot...bought it with 9 miles on it. I checked the tire pressure and they are all set right around 29 to 30 PSI with the rear tires having a little more pressure. I have the 265/70-16 BFGs. On the inside of my door it recommends the cold tire pressure be set to 29 on the front tires and 32 on the back tires. Is this normal to have the back tires need more pressure? What PSI should I set the tires to and do you think my problem has to do with the tire pressure or if it is an allignment/balancing issue? Thanks!
  • I have a 2003 Tacoma extra cab with 265/70-R16s. The doorjamb states 29F/32R – BUT – stipulates that pressure is for the 225/75-R15 tire size. I suspect you have the same, but I’ve heard that same year/make/model/trim cars can actually have different doorjamb plates with different tire information (regional?). I called up the local Toyota dealership and of course they have absolutely no clue on what the optimal-wear tire pressure should be. I called up a local high-end performance tire place (Stokes Tires, in Santa Monica California) and a guy there suggested I run 32psi all the way around – and regardless if I’m carrying my motorcycle in the back or not. So I’m still left wanting.

Logically, if you carry heavy weight I the bed, you’ll want more air so the tire holds the proper shape (does not balloon). Likewise if you pretty much never carry anything heavy in the bed, you’ll actually want to use less air to maintain proper tire shape, and thus even wear.

All that being said – I’m going to stick with 32psi all the way around and see the wear patterns for myself – then adjust as needed. Traditionally I’ll actually over compensate – if my tire’s middle is wearing thin, I’ll put too little air in the tire to get the use of the outer edge (and vise versa). The main thing is to check the pressure regularly so you can catch them if the pressure starts to go off in one or more tires (valve inconsistency?), thus you get consistent wear feedback for what tire pressures you’ve chosen.

It’s VERY important to measure your pressure under consistent conditions. Just driving the car down to the gas station will heat up the tire (because of carcass flex), and increase the tire pressure. The pressures given above should be flat-cold in the morning or evening, and after many hours of non-use.

Interestingly on my motorcycle, out at a track day, it’s all about tire temperature for grip, not pressure. The front tire is roughly half the volume of the rear, and I use 33psi in the front, and 34 in the rear on an average day. The rule of thumb is to shoot for 10% increase in pressure in the front and 20% increase in the rear (which is an abstract approach to getting the correct TEMPERATURE from tire pressure). So when I come in from a run the tires should be about 36.5 in the front, and 41 in the rear. Starting with less air pressure will make the tire bulge, and cause much more friction in the tire as it roles, heating up the tire more, and increasing the % different between cold/hot.

I kind of went off topic, but maybe this helps with overall knowledge of the processes going on. I am certainly no expert.
  • I have a nearly identical problem with an '06 Tacoma 4x4 Double Cab, but with 265/65-17 Dunlops. At speeds above 55 mph the steering wheel shakes and the truck continually wants to pull left. The wheels were balanced several times, tires have been checked, pressures set at recommended 29 lbs, and the truck was aligned twice. The dealer finally contacted Toyota and found there is "a known problem with the proportional valve in the power steering" on this truck. The "fix"(?) essentially dampened the problem, but did not eliminate it. The steering wheel vibration is not as excessive as it once was, but it still exists. And, the truck still pulls left. Has anyone else experienced these problems with an 05/06 Tacoma??
  • is the spare on an 06 tacoma equiipped with tpms also. place i had the rims replaced claimed that the steel spare rims did not have tpms.
  • coecoe Posts: 4
    I have a 2006 Double Cab PreRunner. The tire size on this model is 245/75R16. I want to get new tires that are a little bigger, maybe wider as well, but the sales people at Firestone tell me that going any larger than the factory recommended tire size will cause rubbing on turns. I've seen other Tacomas (although they are a few years older) that have larger tires...265/70R16. Did Toyota put smaller tires on the PreRunner Tacomas this year? How much larger can I go without having to lift the truck and avoiding any rubbing on turns. It seems that the sales people at Firestone are sure of their recommendation but how is it that other Tacomas I've seen have larger tires??
    Also, which is a better tire to go with, BF Gooodrich AT or the Firestone Dueler (is the Dueler Revo better than the regular Dueler, what's the difference)?

Any input is greatly appreciated as I don't want to make a dumb purchase I'll regret later.

Thanks!
  • mjp29mjp29 Posts: 2
    My 2004 4WD Tacoma SR5 extra cab has these tires from the factory.

Around 30,000 miles, I noticed abnormal wear on the outer part of the tires. A tire dealer told me (for a $20 alignment check) it needed to be shimmied up so wear wouldn't occur on the outside of the tires (even though their alignment system said it was in range of good alignment). Decided to take it to a Toyota dealer. Took it to a Toyota dealer and had it aligned for $90 - even though the print out said it was only off 0.02 on the front (which I suspect it was within factory alignment and didn't need aligned but they didn't offer an alignment check - was told once it's entered into the computer you get an aligment (end of story) but that's another post I suppose.

Now, at the next oil change (asked for rotation also) the tires are abnormally wearing on the inside of the tires. The oil change company asked if I had bad suspension or something and said at 35psi my tires shouldn't be wearing like this on the sides since that's more pressure than Toyota recommends for the tires (something like 26 and 28 psi).

What puzzles me is that I've been running them at 35psi for a while and suspect they should be wearing on the middle of the tires if anywhere.

I'm at 37,000 miles and will buy new tires soon, but I wonder if this truck has a problem and will just chew up the edges of the new tires I have installed.
  • pb2themaxpb2themax Posts: 471
    Donahoe Racing coilovers and shocks, Boze Alloys Stinger wheels, Wrangler Silent Armor 275/70/17

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
  • philg87philg87 Posts: 72
    VERY NICE TACO! :)
  • My 05 4 door TRD 2WD does the same thing, not much shake but pulls left and wanders right and left on a streight flat road.
    Only have 5000 miles on it and put Mitchlin tires on it when I bought it.

Had it aligned 5 times, 2 at the dealer and 3 at a Hunter alignment shop.
    All said its in specks.
    Stuck on what to do next, thanks for the info on the valve.
    Does yours wander on the freeway????

Thanks
  • I have a 1999 Toyota Tacoma with 140,000 miles. I have been experiencing road noise above 20 mph for quite a while. I thought that it was the tires, but recently bought new tires and still have the noise. It appears to be the bearings which my mechanic tells me are sealed. I jacked the truck up and can not feel any problems, no rough places as I spin the wheel, no play, no wobble. I can't feel any problem on the highway. I will fix this, but the question is how fast? Anyone else know of noisy sealed wheel bearings?
  • Ive had the same problem with my 2004 TRD w/stock BFG Rugged Trails,when I took in the truck to the dealer for the lower ball joint recall told them to rotate tires at that time but did not bring up the feathered edges on the front tires. For some unexplained reason after the ball joint replacement and rotation of tires they were not feathering anymore? I run all my tires at 33psi cold and may lower it a little to 32-32.5 psi,maybe running the tires at 35psi all round feathers the fronts somehow because I was running 35psi all round when my fronts feathered on the outside also,try lowering the tire pressure down a little,I wasnt about to pay for a front end alignment on my brand new truck so Im glad it worked out for me so far. :blush:
  • After reading some positive and negitive vibes with Dueler Revos and am looking to get some input into Desination AT by Firestone,if anyone is running them on a 1995.5-2004 Taco 4 wheel drive please post your results. For the price and reviews on Tirerack.com I like what Im reading. I would be running stock size mostly highway,light offroad,concerns are Fuel mileage,ride comfort,good wearing characteristics,more rugged look than stock. Also looking at Yokohama AT/S or AT tires please comment on your experiences with these tires.Thanx Sugarfly/8 ;)
  • I checked with Toyota and my 2004 didn't fall in the range of the trucks that were recalled for the lower ball joint recall. I do find it odd that at 35psi they would feather more on the sides because I've always read that more tire pressure causes tires to wear in the middle and lower tire pressure causes wear on the edges.

Anyways, I'll be replacing the tires soon. I may go with the Continental 80,000 mile tires at the big W______ box store and see how they do. They cost just a little more than the Goodyear 50,000 mile tires. Anyone here put Continental tires on their Taco - Continental tires have a good reputation (don't they or do they not?). p.s. 99% of the time my truck is on asphault.