Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru Outback vs. Toyota 4Runner

2»

Comments

• agnostoagnosto Posts: 205
    Trust me and gooo for the beast, 2010 4Runner it, you will not regret it... also as an FYI, you can not compare the 4Runner with the Outback (did almost the same mistake when trying to decide between the two... nooooo comparison) and now I am the owner of the 2010 4Runner Limited 4WD with NAV and it has been a joy driving it over 3k miles so far with my best gas tank of 27.1 MPG... what more can I say, what an amazing vehicle :shades:
  • Yeah, I'm kind of thinking that if I buy the Outback, the first time we take a road trip I'll regret not having all of that room.
    I will certainly miss the fun of driving the Outback. I like being able to drive like normal even when it's raining. :)
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    I'll go with the opposite suggestion - the Outback is more car-like and comfortable, and probably better suited for a young child. I can't imagine you're going to go rock-crawling any time soon.

I really like the new 4Runner, but why pay more for capability you won't use? You get mud on it and the wife is gonna think you've lost your mind. ;)

The Outback has plenty of space for 1 kid (2, even) and the ride will pamper the kid to a peaceful sleep.

Get the 4Runner when he's a 10-12 years old and would want to go do a little off roading with you. :shades:

When they're young, they want comfort.

When they're older, they'll want image/adventure.
  • Thanks for the suggestion. I've been a little concerned about the height of the 4Runner, as far as putting my daughter in the seat for the next 2 years (especially my wife who is 5'1"), and then her getting in for the next 3 on her own. I'd be getting rock rails, but I imagine it'd still be difficult.
    And no, I really have no intention of doing rock crawling. Going off-road in mud and dirt is one thing, I imagine rock crawling is another. :)
    Well, you climb up in to a 4Runner, down in to a normal car.

The Outback is nice - you basically step right in, no up or down. It's very user-friendly.

The new ones have tons of back seat room (the previous one was cozy).
  • Yep, that's what I noticed about the Outback at the car show last weekend. I kept expecting a lower step in, like my Outback Sport, but the step in was just kind of right there.
    My wife and I took a 2 week trip out to California in the OB Sport, and had plenty of room, but we also folded both seats down. BUT, there is a 10 cu. ft. increase in cargo capacity between my OB Sport and the 2010 Outback.
    I wonder if the Subaru dealer will let put a bunch of things in the back to try out the size of the cargo area. You know, just stuff we'd take on a western/mountain road trip. :D
    Actually, I'm sure they will, and that is a very good idea. Do it. Bring your stroller, if you have that already.

There's a lot more cargo room, but also a much roomier rear seat.

We have a Sienna (149 cubic feet) and a Forester (half a size smaller than the Outback) and each is great in its own way. I'd love to combine qualities from each of them. :shades:
  • Yep, got the stroller, so I figure I'll bring that, our 2 big suitcases, a couple of bags, backpack and a cooler. Of course they might very well think I'm nuts, but I imagine they'd like to make sale eventually. :P
    They're gonna think you're living out of your current car, and plan to "move in" to the new one. :D
  • Ha ha, we have a Sienna and a Forester too, and I'm considering Outback, 4Runner, Pilot, or Highlander as replacements for the Forester. Can't remember why I didn't like the RAV4. Maybe it was that if you wanted heated mirrors you had to get either the Sport with run flats or a Limited with leather.

Whats nice about the Outback is that you can get a car with heated CLOTH seats, heated mirrors, no sunroof, all wheel drive, decent room in the back seat for $25k. My biggest whines about it are the mirrors don't fold, no vent for the rear seats, donut spare, and that the CVT system has not been around for a while.

The 2002 has heated cloth seats, heated folding mirrors, no sunroof, AWD with viscous coupling limited slip differential, and a full size spare. Why can't I get all of that in a bigger vehicle and toss in some vents in the rear. Spare me the Venza, can't stand the center console and 25" rims (OK not that big).

Biggest whines about the 4Runner is the painted plastic surround bumpers (they will get scratched), only Limited has the nice AWD system, and the price. That and its a new generation. I've been lusting after the Trail Edition just for its looks.

I'll save you (all) the Highlander and Pilot whines since you aren't considering them.

Just to keep in mind, one kid can become two, two kids can become three. You would be surprised how the space is gobbled up going on a vacation with three kids; I think alohaboy should consider a minivan.

By the way, a Toyota dealership in Hilo has a 2010 4R Trail Edition in blue, only one to be found on the cars.com website.
  • So can anyone tell me the difference between the fabric, sport fabric and water resistant fabric seats on the 4Runner? I'm planning on going with a dark interior as my current OB Sport has the light interior and every little thing spot drives me nuts. I think the water resistant stuff is only on the Trail, but I'm curious as to whether the Sport would be a little more stain resistant than the normal fabric. Of course all of these little things I think of increase the price, but if they keep recalling things I might be able to get a better deal.
    I kid, I kid. :D
    The RAV4's rear door also swings opens the wrong way - blocking curb side loading. That pushed me to a Highlander (no split fold 3rd row) and then finally a Sienna (no such trade-offs, acres of space).

The Forester Premium has heated cloth seats, too, and a traditional automatic if you prefer that. The CVT has had good feedback so far, and particularly good fuel mileage.

As for donuts - do what I did. My wife had a 2002 Legacy with a donut, I replaced it with a full size spare and ditched the foam insert that goes above the spare. Make sure it will fit before you do that, though.

I like the new 4Runner's style, blocky and masculine. I could do without all the blisters in the light clusters, but I still like it a lot overall. For me the gas mileage is the deal-killer. I'm a cheapskate.
  • The gas mileage doesn't bother me too much. My drive to work is only 15 minutes so I'm not going to get that great of gas mileage no matter what I buy. Besides, I was going to get the 3.6R and not be that conservative with my driving. :blush:
    I thought about the Highlander, but it doesn't seem as rugged as the 4Runner. I don't plan on getting the 3rd row seat, as the one in my mom's Pilot was pretty darn small, and the one in her new Infiniti looks even smaller. I don't know when I'd ever use the 3rd seat, so I'd rather not pay for it.
    Plus why haul the extra weight around?
  • Exactly. I've got plenty of that already. ;)
2»
This discussion has been closed.