Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda CR-V, Toyota RAV4 or Subaru Forester?

Comments

• varmintvarmint Posts: 6,326
    Obscure and academic corrections.

The AWD system in the CR-V is purely mechanical.

IIRC, the Subaru's can be defeated with the removal of a fuse... suggesting that at least part of it is electrical.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Only for the lesser automatic models. Can't do that with any manual tranny, VTD or VDC models.

You actually insert a fuse, strangely enough, to put it in FWD only mode. This disengages the clutch pack completely. It does not operate in that manner by default, however, so it's never 100% FWD unless the fuse is in.

Also, the AWD is not designed/engineered to be used like that all the time, it's actually for when you get a flat or need to call a tow truck.

Funny part is you get an idiot light that says "FWD", like something is inherently wrong with that. :D

-juice
  • "Just stay away from the RAV4 with the V6.... "

Check out the Real MPG strand. You will read that there is not all THAT much different between the 4 and 6 on the RAV 4....maybe 1 or 2 mpg. I have read on different forums that some people who bought the 4 cyln. wish they opted for the 6. I have talked to a couple RAV 4 owners who make the same comment.
  • kavoomkavoom Posts: 181
    "Funny part is you get an idiot light that says "FWD", like something is inherently wrong with that."

Your point?

All wheel drive user for 15 years...
  • tazerelitazereli Posts: 241
    that juice meant it was funny that a light was warning you that you were crossing to the dark side of FWD by disabling the AWD.

Subaru owner since they had part time AWD/4WD.
    Yep, it makes me giggle a bit whenever I notice that light.

Hazards worthy of potential warnings:

* Service Engine Soon
    * Check Engine light
    * Fuel Level Low
    * FRONT WHEEL DRIVE! AAAAAAAH! :surprise:

:D

-juice
    The V6 is pretty close in fuel efficiency, only a couple of mpg away from the 4.

And the other thing is that while there are complaints about hesitation when you first hit the gas, the rate of complaints is higher with the 4 banger than it is with the V6.

Plus all the extra power, torque, and towing capacity.

IMO the V6 in the RAV4 is a no-brainer. You definitely pay the extra amount and get it. Very small investment for a very large payoff.

-juice
  • thecatthecat Posts: 528
    I knew if I didn't get the v6 that somewhere in the future I would find myself 2nd guessing that decission. I have no regrets. It's a smooth, efficient engine.
  • suvshopper4suvshopper4 Posts: 1,110
    I'd probably opt for the 2.4L 4-cylinder,
    not the 6, since I have no need to tow.

The 2.4L in my gf's Solara is an impressive power plant,
    strong, quiet and efficient.

I'd be saving money up front, in purchase cost,
    and all thru the life of the vehicle, in lower fuel costs.
    The mpg difference adds up.
  • I also got the 2.4L 4-cylinder instead of the V6. I found the accelleration and ride to be just fine in the I4 and, in fact, the I4 seemed a bit more nimbler and easier to turn handling-wise than the V6. I'm not towing anything and if I did,I would have gotten the V6 or a truck. I think it's a waste of money up front $2,000 and at the pump but that's just my opinion.
    I do tow, plus I have 2 kids and a nanny, and throw in a dog for good measure.

I'm certain that I stretch the payload limits for whatever vehicle I drive.

So V6 for me, no question.

-juice
  • suvshopper4suvshopper4 Posts: 1,110
    "I do tow, plus I have 2 kids and a nanny, and throw in a dog for good measure.
    I'm certain that I stretch the payload limits for whatever vehicle I drive."

Is your last name Griswold?
    I think my wife's packing gets inspiration from them... :sick:

-juice
    http://www.autoblog.com/2006/10/31/sema-subaru-unveils-updated-forester-in-2-5-x- t-sports-form/

VDC (stability control, finally!), 17" rims, and a really nice mesh grille. Nice package, hope it comes in that blue color.

It's ironic that Subaru was the first in this segment to make ABS standard (1998, from the beginning) yet they were just about the last ones to offer stability control. :sick:

-juice
    Subaru's results aren't in, just yet

Toyota sold 11,154 units of the RAV4 including both the I4 and V6 models.

Honda sold 20,413 of the I4 only CR-V with reactive AWD.

No one is more shocked than I. Though probably not for the same reasons.
  • terry92270terry92270 Posts: 1,247
    Shocked :confuse:

If not for that stupid rear door side-swing arrangement, and the spare on it, I would have purchased the CR-V in 2005 instead of my Forester. CR and others have always given it good reliability ratings. The edge went to Subaru for the safety equipment and CR's top ratings of it.

Now I am very pleased with my Subie, but I have to tell you guys, looking at the new 2007 CR-V, when I am ready to get another car to replace it (probably 2008), I will once again be giving Honda a long look. ;)
  • drive62drive62 Posts: 637
    It's way too early of course, pent up demand for a redesigned model etc. But assuming the new 'V does meet Honda's sales forecasts will there be a serving of humble pie anywhere? ;)
  • bodble2bodble2 Posts: 4,519
    "Honda sold 20,413 of the I4 only CR-V with reactive AWD."

That's for the new CR-V only?
    No way to be certain of the mix, but I doubt it. Don't see how they could have that many new units on hand at launch.
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,956
    The impression I get from this link I found a short while ago is that they were new ones (and the link quotes Honda as the source):

"Sales of the all-new 2007 Honda CR-V totaled 20,413, representing an increase of 95.7 percent in its first full month of sales while shattering the previous all-time record by 3,744 units from July 2005."

Yahoo

Guess there was a lot of pent up demand to get that tire off the rear door, lol, but the numbers are a bit hard to believe. :shades:

Ah, just found another link that contradicts the 3,744 number:

"Import truck sales were indicative of Honda division selling 20,413 CR-V units, an increase of 95.7%, compared to 10,850 units in the same period a year ago." (Note that this blurb doesn't specify "all-new" CR-Vs, but it's still a 95% increase).

RealTimeTraders
This discussion has been closed.