Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Stories from the Sales Frontlines

Comments

• roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,855
    But the last I recalled the public and media wanted to protect the rights of the mentally ill and demanded they not be locked away... Hmmmmm.

The ACLU was behind a lot of that- filing actions to stop states from "institutionalizing" the mentally ill. In Kentucky a unanimous jury verdict is required to find someone lacks the capacity to manage their personal and/or financial affairs- even if their attorney, doctor, and an unbiased team of medical and metal health professionals all agree that the person is incompetent...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport 1975 2002A 2007 Mazdaspeed 3 1999 Wrangler 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2009 328i Son's: 2004 X3 2.5

• stickguystickguy Posts: 15,657
    Private, so no dealer involved. Painless. Prior owner even brought it to my house, gave me all his stuff, signed the title, took the money and his plates and left. About as easy as it can be.

2015 Hyundai Sonata 2.4i Limited Tech (mine), 2013 Acura RDX (wife's) and 2007 Volvo S40 (daughters college car)

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Posts: 6,808
    "...people in the US think owing a gun is a right..."

They don't just think, it is a right in the US.

Laws have to be made to restrict use of any dangerous object but you can't pass laws that will control the devils in people's minds.

Outlawing spoons won't stop people from getting fat.

2009 PT Cruiser, 2008 Eclipse, 1995 Mark VIII, 1988 GMC Van

• sandman_6472sandman_6472 Coral Springs, FLPosts: 2,811
    The new Fusion looks absolutely awful and the new Avalon isn't that much better. What are these company's thinking? I would think they have focus groups or something early on to get some kind of public feedback on these designs. The last generation of both of these cars looked so much better but that's a personal opinion and yeah I know, everyone has one! But if I did have to buy one, I'd go with the Avalon hands down. Something tells me that sales of both of these cars won't be so great this year. Will be interested to see how many they do sell.

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2015 Audi A3 (wife)/2015 Golf SE (me)/2009 Nissan Versa SL Hatch (daughter #1)/2008 Hyundai Accent GLS (daughter #2)

• bwiabwia Boston Posts: 1,296
    edited December 2012
    Something tells me that sales of both of these cars won't be so great this year. Will be interested to see how many they do sell.

Au contraire ...

Just came back from New England's largest Toyota dealership. I was hoping to see the 2013 Avalon up close and personal but not a single copy was in the showroom or on the lot.

According to a sales manager the Avalon is selling like hot cakes and they sell them sight unseen. If this experience is any indication of the Avalon's desirability then Toyota has a hit on its hands.
  • driver100driver100 Burlington, ON 7 mo/Tampa FL 5 moPosts: 12,810
    I heard that there were a number of people hacked and sliced in China, was it 20?,

Yes, and there have been mass murderers in Russia and Europe etc. The U.S. has the most gun mass murder killings, and though you U.S. citizens have the right to bear arms......I think that has to be reviewed. I know the arguements, guns don't kill people, people kill people. But, they can do it a lot faster and easier with a gun.

I could maybe see one shot pistols being permitted for self defense maybe. But, I said it before, and I will say it again, if you are a citizen caught carrying a gun you should get 10 years in prison. If you are a farmer or a hunter, you can carry a gun in the proper areas (on your property or in the woods or wherever one carries on these activities).

Yes, there are mentally ill people out on the streets and they can easily obtain a gun. Yes, they should be in an institution where they will get care, but, they shouldn't be able to obtain a mail order gun, or take one from their mothers dresser.

Civilized people should not have to walk around with a gun.

2015 Mercedes-Benz E400 , 2013 Audi A4, 2013 VW Passat

According to a sales manager the Avalon is selling like hot cakes and

I have never heard a sales manager say, The new ---------- is selling off as slow as molasses, I hope sales pick up soon.

Seems the Avalon is aimed at Camry people who want to move up. Definitely better handling and firmir ride. May be a fine car, I just don't know why they would use that grill.

• bwiabwia Boston Posts: 1,296
    May be a fine car, I just don't know why they would use that grill.

Because it appeals to younger buyers. By the way, I believe the chief designer for the new Avalon is all but 27 years old. Guys age 60+ are increasing becoming redundant in the eyes of the GenX and GenY demographic.
  • houdini1houdini1 Kansas City areaPosts: 6,065
    and though you U.S. citizens have the right to bear arms......I think that has to be reviewed.

And although you Canadian citizens have the right of free speech...I think that has to be reviewed.

2013 LX 570 2010 LS 460 2002 Tacoma 4x4

• verdugoverdugo Posts: 2,020
    It sounds like, from piecing this all together, the shooter first killed his mother at her home and then went yo the school and killed all those kids and teachers/principal. Details are still sketchy, but I'll bet something happened at the school.

Yes, at the time they were saying something else.

Totally screwed up. :sick:
  • abacomikeabacomike South FloridaPosts: 4,236
    edited December 2012
    Yes, at the time they were saying something else.

From what I have heard, the young man had Aspergers syndrome which accompanies AD/HD in some cases. My grandson has this condition which is extremely difficult to deal with. He gets easily frustrated and is not aware of consequences of his actions. He acts out, at times, and is almost impossible to understand most of the time. He is in Special Education and many children like this do not lead normal lives because of the language block.

When I heard of the possible ailments that shooter suffered from, one begins to piece together what happened. People with Aspergers and AD/HD have severe learning disabilities. They act impulsively with little, if any emotion and cannot logically array the consequences of their actions - or said another way - they act out of unknown stimuli and often do not understand right from wrong.

If I get on the phone with him (he is 7 years old), I can only understand a few words out of every sentence he speaks. Imagine how frustrating it is for a child to not understand what people are saying and also why people around him don't understand what he is trying to communicate. It is a severe language disorder accompanied by a severe behavior disorder. It is extremely rough on the family of those children.

I still believe there was something about his mother being an educator - that his mother paid more attention to her students than she did to him - or at least he perceived it that way. I really am only guessing.

But if he suffered from what my poor little grandson suffers from (and remember there are varying degrees of the syndrome affecting no two children the same way), then one can conceivably see what happened was as a result of brain damage (learning disabilities) can result in as regards behavior after years and years of frustration on his part.

Could this have been prevented? I really don't know!!!

2015 Mercedes Benz E400 Sport Sedan

• abacomikeabacomike South FloridaPosts: 4,236
    From what I have heard, the young man had Aspergers syndrome which accompanies AD/HD in some cases

This brain damage is either caused by genetics or can be caused at birth by a lack of oxygen. My grandson was rushed back to the hospital 5 days after birth with high fever and breathing difficulty. They believe this occurred post-natal, not pre-natal (genetic).

My other grandson suffers as a result of the younger grandson causing so much disturbance and commotion at home all the time.

It's not a pretty picture - and if this shooter grew up in a similar environment, one can begin to understand what happened. Why it happened will probably never be determined because the shooter is dead and only he has the answers to those questions.

It's just a pity that innocent people and children had to suffer because of this young man's inabilities to be rational and understand the consequences of this awful massacre.

2015 Mercedes Benz E400 Sport Sedan

And although you Canadian citizens have the right of free speech...I think that has to be reviewed.

The Canadians already have- and free speech isn't doing so well:
    Gagging Us Softly

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport 1975 2002A 2007 Mazdaspeed 3 1999 Wrangler 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2009 328i Son's: 2004 X3 2.5

"...that grill..."

Woah! This is the first time seeing it and I have to say it is the ugliest thing since the Aztek. What were they thinking?

30 years from now people with collect them for the weird styling but for now, yuck! :(

designer for the new Avalon is all but 27 years old. Guys age 60+ are increasing becoming redundant

They have the right idea for sure. This 60+ consumer isn't one bit interested in that car, so they must have targeted it to the right market.

All the car makers are trying to develop unusual distinctive front ends. That front end looks like a Camry that ran into a Mazda.

edited December 2012
    y Mark Steyn

Mark Steyn is a genius. I would say "free speech" in Canada is about the same as it is in the USA. We are grappling with how to control hate speech and issues like that....but, very much like the USA, we are a free democratic country, and can pretty much say what we want, if it doesn't promote hatred.

edited December 2012

OK..........talking about speech.........what exactly are you trying to say?

Also, take a look at this chart;
    Deaths by guns per 100000 people

What do you think that means? The U.S. is number 11 just below some countries that are out of control with over 25 deaths per 100,000. U.S. has 9 per 100K, Canada 4.78, the U.K. .25. I don't know the answer, but do you think gun controls or lack thereof could be a factor?

it is the ugliest thing since the Aztek.

I think they are thinking if older people hate it, younger people will love it.

Many years ago, when our youngest daughter was about 14, she would ask me if I liked one of the songs she recorded. If I said I didn't like it, she knew it was a good song, and, if I did like it, she decided it wasn't very good.

When I buy books for the business I like books with the good old fashioned covers like the ones on the Hardy Boys. The kids don't like those, they like dark scarry titles with weird shapes and colors. If I choose covers I hate they will love them.

The Avalon is designed for under 25 year olds.

edited December 2012
    Laws have to be made to restrict use of any dangerous object but you can't pass laws that will control the devils in people's minds.

Very true, but check out these statistics for 2011. Some people think I shouldn't comment....I guess only American citizens have free speech (even though I am a property owner in the USA).

So, let me know what these statistics mean;

Country Population Total Deaths by Firearms
    USA ........................315 M ..............................8775
    Canada ......................35 M...............................170
    UK...............................62 M................................58

What accounts for the difference?

"...if it doesn't promote hate..."

Sounds nice until your political opponents decide that hate means disagreeing with them. :(

"...some think I shouldn't comment..."

The nice thing about the US is that anyone can think anything they want but nobody can stop you. :)

• imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 18,528
    >have free speech (even though I am a property owner in the USA).

If I thought a country had it wrong on guns and crazy people, I certainly wouldn't want to own property there and spend time there vacationing. It's gotta be so dangerous.
  • robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 8,036
    What accounts for the difference?

Civility of society and self respect.

We Americans have become so obsessed with ourselves that we've forgotten we are part of a society that needs to work together to do the right things.

My priest said during his homily this weekend that we need to do 3 things:

get out of the house instead of sitting there watching television

do something good for someone else - volunteer, coach, let a pedestrian cross in front of you

slow down and remember that you only have one shot on this earth.

BTW - IMHO, the right to bear arms was based on musket technology. Our forefathers probably had no idea that someday "arms" would include weapons able to mow down 2 dozen people in a matter of seconds. They expected the constitution to be a fluid document and that perhaps it's time to review what really constitutes "arms" for personal protection.
    If I thought a country had it wrong on guns and crazy people, I certainly wouldn't want to own property there and spend time there vacationing. It's gotta be so dangerous.

You can't have a logical discussion with people who are polarized and already have the excuses made up.

Why not try to explain those statistics, instead of making comments like that, they don't help to solve the problem.

FYI, I bought a home there because I love it in Florida and I love the USA. It would be even better if you didn't have so many senseless killings.

BTW - IMHO, the right to bear arms was based on musket technology.

I think you have a good point, sometimes laws make sense when they are made, but as technology changes our laws have to keep up. It was a lot different in the days when those laws were enacted, they made sense. There were enemies who could kill you with a bow and arrow, and there wasn't a police force.

I think a society that wants to advance has to be flexible with it's laws. We lived on a remote area for several years, and we had a rifle. The reason being, if bad guys drive up the 1/4 mile drive, break in, and theyhave weapons, we could be killed and robbed and no one would know.

There's a lot of idiots and mentally ill people driving cars (road rage), guns are even more lethal.

"...based on musket technology..."

If you read other period documents like the Federalist Papers you see that the people who came up with the 2nd amendment were more worried about giving citizens the means to resist oppressive government. Naturally as government weaponry changed so would the citizen's.

That delicate balance between individual rights vs.societal protection is tough to judge. I don't own any guns but I'd hate to lose that right.

• stickguystickguy Posts: 15,657
    it is interesting that the government implementing strict gun laws is actually the exact opposite of what the amendment intends.

2015 Hyundai Sonata 2.4i Limited Tech (mine), 2013 Acura RDX (wife's) and 2007 Volvo S40 (daughters college car)

edited December 2012
    "...there wasn't a police force..."

The police can't stop a determined assailant from getting at you. They can take a report later and maybe even catch the criminal but if there is a chance someone will come kicking down the door, you have to save yourself.

BTW, I recommend a pistol grip Mossberg shotgun loaded with birdshot. Will discourage even a maniac but won't shoot through the wall and take out your neighbor like a rifle.

• jipsterjipster Posts: 5,345
    I think you have a good point, sometimes laws make sense when they are made, but as technology changes our laws have to keep up.

I believe the "right to bear arms" was put into place to keep government from seizing all power and becoming a totalitarian state. It didn't have anything to do with protection of self or family. It was to keep the nation "free" of an oppressive government.

That said, any gun control laws wouldnt pass, wouldn't work... and if they did they couldn't be enforced. Too many guns already. Too many holes in our borders for gun smugglers.
    Sounds nice until your political opponents decide that hate means disagreeing with them.

Precisely.

This discussion has been closed.