Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Stories from the Sales Frontlines

Comments

• graphicguygraphicguy SW OhioPosts: 7,135
    Kirstie....good deal. I can't top "free". :D

jipster....I think Whirlpool, Maytag, Kitchenaid, Amana (maybe more) are all made/engineered in the same place. You can see very little difference between any of them. I remember when Maytag meant top quality and reliability. Not any more. Although, I do have to say the GF really loves her Kitchenaid mixer.

explorer....For selection and price, HHGregg is hard to beat. Matter of fact, if you banter with them a little, I've yet been able to beat their pricing (not the price on their price signs stuck to their products).
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,618
    edited January 2013
    How much do you charge for house calls?
    I know Michigan is not out of your way, but how about Connecticut? :)
    Last year, we lost power for 11 days, so maybe something happened related to that.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 18,069
    >Connecticut?

My last housecall was our trip to Canton, MI. Repaired dryer with defective cycle control. Told them the part was $80 and the housecall was $250. :sick:
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 27,901
    Just purchased an LED and sound bar there, yesterday..

Usually, I get that sort of thing at BB, but ran into a deal.. Wasn't even going to buy it this month. Sort of like car shopping.. :)

Sears? They were already having problems, but Eddie Lampert has just about killed them. It's all a real estate play for him, but the company will be broke before it ever pays off.. SHLD is the stock to short, if you are inclined to take a chance.

Fridge: we got a Bosch. I like it.

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• fezofezo Posts: 9,328
    Store as a real estate game - that's what happened to the old Two Guys chain out here. You now have a whole mall in what used to be one store.

We've got a 20 year old Whirlpool that my wife insisted we buy when we built the house. I figured we already had one but she hated that it was old Harvest Gold from the 70s. I said we could paint it. I lost that one. This one is almost 20 years now so I think it earned its keep. One shelf isn't right since she tried to put in wrong once. Would like to replace but not in position to replace something that works fine.
    My first job was working at a Two Guys.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,458
    I forgot to mention, the total transparency thing is what I do like about your specific concept. Don't try to hide anything from people, sell them the car at a cheap enough (but not the cheapest) price, don't try to low ball them on the trade, make the process easy, & you'll have a happy customer as well as repeat buyers.

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

I was down with the whole "no-haggle" thing, until you said you were making more money.. :P

• driver100driver100 Burlington, ON 7 mo/Tampa FL 5 moPosts: 11,754
    Completely new 2014 Corvette Stingray:

2012 535ix 2013 Audi A4 2013 Passat

edited January 2013
    For perspective, here's the fridge we're talking about....

Great looking fridge GG. Car related...it seems to have LED lights inside too.

How come there are two lower drawers, seem to be freezer drawers?

$2000 for a $3400 fridge...sounds good.

We just got a new Bosch dishwasher from Lowes. One good thing about Lowes is their price includes delivery and taking away the old one.

• mako1amako1a VirginiaPosts: 1,655
    Last year, we lost power for 11 days, so maybe something happened related to that.

Our kitchen fridge and basement freezer started acting funny after the July 1-3 2012 storms and power outages. We were paying our yearly car insurance and mentioned we just got new appliances after the power blips and outages. My insurance girl asked if we had receipts (we did). We got back all but delivery.

2013 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500 LT HD, 2001 GMC Yukon Denali

• mako1amako1a VirginiaPosts: 1,655
    2014 Corvette Stingray

Good, they finally changed that old interior. I wonder if they shrunk the outer dimensions.

2013 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500 LT HD, 2001 GMC Yukon Denali

• cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Forest Lakes, AZPosts: 3,244
    I don't think Sears will be around for long. Sad....

That is a fact.

I think it's a Canadian expression, but I'm not positive, having spent so much time "down here," but "solid as Sears" is something that used to be said a lot, much like "built like a Mack truck."

The older I get, the more willing I am to die. Things like this are much of the reason.
  • billy3554billy3554 Posts: 147
    We have a "no haggle" dealer close to me,Maryland, which sells a variety of products. I have found this dealer's posted prices quite useful. Just the mention the "no haggle" dealer's posted price becomes the starting point for negotiations at a "haggle" dealership. Does not require any time and has always resulted in a lower price.

The problem for a buyer who is unafraid of a dealer is the "no haggle" dealer's price is set by the dealer. I suspect most of the people who frequent Edmund's forums recognize the danger inherent in that concept.
  • abacomikeabacomike South FloridaPosts: 3,498
    I don't think Sears will be around for long. Sad....

Yes it is, isellhondas, yes it is sad. There was a time when I would buy all my appliances from Sears and all their named products were superior. Now, I go into our Sears store in Boca Raton and if you are lucky, you can find a salesperson to assist you in under 15 minutes. Then, they barely speak English and are impossible to understand.

A few weeks ago, I was in to Sears looking for a pair if Levi's jeans. They did not have the style I like in my size (waist or inseam) so I was told they could order it online. I don't order clothes online, but that was all they could do for me.

The store is "over-cluttered" with displays and merchandise - almost impossible to find someone to help you and impossible to find what you are looking for. The only department that is well "manned" is their appliance department. The store is poorly lit as well. This Sears is in one of the most upscale malls in south Florida and seems totally out of place.

It is a shame what has happened to Sears. Their employees (if you can find one) show now pride or loyalty when you meet them. They are poorly dressed and almost seem to ignore you when you yell to one of them 50 feet away and they pay no attention to you.

I can't see them lasting more than a year or two more. That big store is always void of shoppers - almost like a ghost town. And IMHO, too late to save by even a superior management and executive team.

2014 Mercedes Benz CLS 550 - best car ever! 2nd best car ever, my 1967 Corvette Stingray Coupe with 435 hp.

edited January 2013
    driver....that fridge's middle drawer is supposed to be a specially regulated (temp+humidity) compartment for meat, cold cuts, etc. Does it work? Dunno. But, I'm about to find out. It has a couple of other regulated drawers for fruits ad vegetables that removes some chemical, allowing fruit and veggies to stay fresher longer. We'll see.

I forget the list price HHGregg had the fridge at, but it was a little south of $3,000-"on sale" (from $3,400 list). When they accepted my $2K offer, I was surprised.

fezo...I just read an article about Laempert's (sp) real estate play with the Sears and KMart mergers. They concluded it was about real estate. And, that two retailing icons were ruined in the process. They also noted that there was enough financial malfeasance involved that he should be prosecuted.

Kmart is all but gone. Clearly, Sears isn't far behind.

And, I do agree that the Sears stores are now dingy, and not a very appealing place to buy anything.

Like the looks of the new 'vette. Glad they redid the interior. But, you can tell GM is still trying to use up some cheap looking turn stalks, buttons and dash materials that they've probably had in their parts supply storage areas for over a decade..

I keep referring to Bob Lutz's book about bean counters at GM. In one particular chapter, he criticized GM interior designers about their desire to have no knobs to control anything. And, that everything would have virtual buttons. Lutz nixed the idea stating it would be a nightmare to operate.

A few years later, I see the system he totally hated in the new Cadillacs as the CUE system. And, as he predicted, it's terrible and difficult to operate. Wonder how long it will be before GM runs out of parts for the CUE.

As soon as I think GM may be getting it together........ :sick:

kyfdx.....If anyone is adverse to negotiating on appliances and consumer electronics, HH Gregg still has pretty decent prices. Jaw with them a bit, and you get to the price no one else can beat. BTW....have you heard when the new car show is supposed to happen at the convention center?
    you can tell GM is still trying to use up some cheap looking turn stalks, buttons and dash materials that they've probably had in their parts supply storage areas for over a decade..

Your comments about GM parts bin made me think about this article I was reading...10 worst cars of all time from the L.A. Times. Notice how many were GMs.

10. 1971 Ford Pinto-Built to a $2,000 base price, the subcompact Pinto lacks protection for its rear-mounted fuel tank. It earns a reputation as a fire-prone death trap and Ford pays out millions in judgments.

9. 1917 Chevrolet Series D
    Chevy's first V8 could only manage 36 hp -- less than the brand's four-cylinder engine. GM killed it after 1918, and the next Chevy V8 came a full 37 years later.

8. 1979 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme Diesel
    As bad as the 5.7-liter Olds diesel V8 was, the 4.3-liter version was worse. Sold only in the '79 Cutlass, the 4.3 diesel made 90 hp before shattering into shrapnel.

7. 1982 Cadillac Cimarron
    Shameful, cynical attempt to compete against BMW with a redecorated version of the front-drive, four-cylinder Chevrolet Cavalier. A self-inflicted wound that nearly killed Cadillac.

6. 1958 Edsel Corsair
    Ford goes hunting for a market niche that wasn't there with a redecorated Mercury that had been beaten with an ugly stick. The legendary flop of all automotive flops.

5. 2003 Saturn Ion
    Shockingly incompetent to drive and with a stupid interior to match. Kick it and your foot could get stuck in the gaps between the plastic body panels. Easily the second worst car of the 21st century.

4. 1971 Chevrolet Vega
    An engine that couldn't hold oil, in a car built with contempt for its buyers. It's the car that invited Americans to buy Toyotas and Hondas. However, it did make a good Pro Stock racer.

3. 1987 Yugo
    A Serbian-made version of the Fiat 127 that people thought couldn't possibly be as awful as its low price suggested. But it was!

2. 1974 Ford Mustang II
    Built upon the spindly bones of the Pinto, this shrunken, malformed pony is instantly appalling to Mustang lovers. And, unfortunately, hugely popular with buyers stuck with serial fuel crises.

1. 2001 Pontiac Aztek
    Drive one and you quickly realize that the Aztek's exterior design is its best feature. It's the very worst car of all time because it's the only car on the list to kill an 84-year-old car company. It's undeniable that the Aztek's utter hideousness drove the biggest and last nails into Pontiac's heavily side-clad, plastic coffin.

So, GM had 6 out of 10 of the worst cars, of course they did have many good cars too. Did anyone own one of these? I am ashamed to admit, we had a 1974 Mustang II. I thought it made a pretty good little second car at the time. It was pretty gutless though, and not the most comfortable car.
    You sat pretty low with a tall belt line, so kind of felt you were in a bathtub looking over the edge.

• Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,837
    A journalist would like to speak to car/truck shoppers who are looking for vehicles that don't have new technology - or a minimum of it - such as touchscreens, phone connectivity, joystick-controlled infotainment systems etc. If you are looking to buy a gadget-free car or truck, please send your daytime contact to pr@edmunds.com no later than Tuesday, January 22, 2013 at noon PT/3 p.m. ET.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

when the new car show is supposed to happen at the convention center

http://www.gcada.net/

Feb 21-24

That list is one opinion, so I wouldn't take it as gospel.
    Not only that, it is the LA Times. Enough said.
  • andres3andres3 CAPosts: 5,325
    The list is life though, and if you make the worst list, you are dead.

I'm shocked the Neon doesn't make more "worst" lists. I suppose if not for the abysmal reliability, it actually would have made a decent car.
    edited January 2013
    You confirm my point. There are many worse than are on the 'list'.
  • sandman_6472sandman_6472 Coral Springs, FLPosts: 2,634
    edited January 2013
    Our GE side by side is over 24 years old, compressor went in the one that came with the house in '87 and fil got them to give us a new one a year later. Door broke once and ice maker went out 5 months ago...price to fix was crazy so found some old ice cube trays, they work great! Waiting for it or the stove to go so we can replace both together. But it works well otherwise so will bide our time. Have a contract on the house so they will fix what is fixable. Already did the dishwasher 4 years ago so will go with black eventually so all can match.

Will probably get Whirlpool so everything can match or maybe Kenmore. Don't plan on doing any other kitchen work, though really needed as we might sell once middle kid finishes pharmacy school. And anyone who buys our shack will demo everything anyways as except kids bathroom...all is original. Nice house/nice community/own it outright for years but will probably downsize down the road...I want to leave South Florida!!

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

Got a bit friendly with the contract company repair guy...he recommended most brands except foreign ones for a new fridge...he said the major brands are just put together better and have the least amount of problems.

2014 Hyundai Tuscon SE/2005 Mazda 3s/2008 Hyundai Accent GLS/2009 Nissan Versa SL hatch

• sterlingdogsterlingdog North CarolinaPosts: 6,888
    edited January 2013
    "...you at least have to ASK."

Absolutley. On our recent house purchase, I went in at 25% below asking. The agent was balking about presenting the offer. I told her that she legally had to make the offer whether she wanted to or not. I knew that the seller wouldn't accept the offer, but I also knew that he had the option to counter. He did. I got the house at 20% below asking price. As we often say here, "If you don't ask, you don't get."

As you know, I've always done this with cars. Though a grinder, I try to remain flexible and leave the dealer some room to make a profit. As for fixed pricing, that's fine with me. I would just do some homework and, if the price was fair, I would go with the fixed price dealer. It certainly would save a lot of time. Then again, time is something that I have these days. ;)

Richard
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 18,069
    On our home purchase in 85 or so, the real estate agent said something about not insulting them with an offer that was too low. What did I care about insulting someone I didn't know? It was not her place.

When I sold the house near Cincinnati, a real estate agent was the first to offer to buy with a very low offer--insulting me as she was trying to snatch up a low deal if someone was just anxious to sell and move on rather than wait.
    edited January 2013
    imid....my last real estate agent said the same thing to me...."Don't insult the seller with such a low offer." Really? As I told her, "tell the seller not to insult me for asking way over what it's worth to begin with."

Needless to say, I didn't buy that house, nor did I use that real estate agent ever again.

On the foreign vs domestic fridge....I long ago quit that "made in America" fight....on anything. Issue is, nothing is totally made here. Compressors come from overseas to begin with, for example.

Could be wrong on this but I look at the material quality of....oh....let's say a Samsung, vs my previous Maytag, the Samsung's steel is heavier, the doors line up, the handles are solid metal (vs some sort of plastic on the Maytag).

Is it really true that Whirlpool, Maytag, Kenmore (BTW....Kenmore's "Elite" brand is made by LG) really is better? Not from what I can tell.
  • tjc78tjc78 JerseyPosts: 5,025
    Is it really true that Whirlpool, Maytag, Kenmore (BTW....Kenmore's "Elite" brand is made by LG) really is better? Not from what I can tell.

Honestly, IMHO all the appliances today are pretty much garbage. Yes, they perform well and are efficient but build quality is spotty at best.

As for Kenmore, most of their fridges are LG, DW's, washers and dryers are whirlpool, and ranges are Frigidaire (which is owned by Electrolux).

I have a whole kitchen of Kenmore, and am hoping for the best. The less than 2 year fridge has already had the ice maker stop working (luckily a reset appears to have fixed it) and it's noiser than the almost 30 year old Kenmore fridge in the basement.

1999 Chevy S10 / 2004 Merc Grand Marquis / 2012 Buick LaCrosse

I would just do some homework and, if the price was fair, I would go with the fixed price dealer.

Me too! I was talking to two guys at the pool (not trying to rub it in, just stating a fact) yesterday and they were talking about their car buying experiences.

Both thought car salespeople were not honest and they hated the whole experience of buying a car....actually dreaded having to buy a new car. These are fairly knowledgeable people, who just do not have any idea how the game is played....and they have no idea how to arrive at a fair price. I am sure both would prefer a "no haggle dealer" if they found they could trust the dealership.

Thanks for the car show post, kyfdx! :)
  • isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 17,626
    The trouble with making a ridiculous offer on a house (or car) is the fact that people do get insulted and will often assume the "buyer" isn't serious.

I know a lot of sellers would do as we once did. Have our agent counter at full price.

Last summer we had a Garage Sale. We had some people offer 2.00 on a 20.00 item and I just blew them off.

I did this to one nasty woman and five minutes later I GAVE that item to
    a nice young couple who looked like they were struggling.

The nasty woman watched as I did this and the look on her face was priceless!
This discussion has been closed.