Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Stories from the Sales Frontlines

Comments

• stickguystickguy Posts: 14,298
    Thanks Richard.

one of my grand plans now is for my daughter to get into NC state, and we will sell the house and follow her down to somewhere in NC (though of course, not too close to her!) to get the double advantage of lower COL, and in state tuition!

still working on the wife though. we have family still in NY, so NC of course would be farther away. But, can't have everything! and with any luck, we would start an exodus south...

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (when daughter lets me see it), 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again), and new Jetta SE (son's first new car on his own dime!)

• michaellnomichaellno Posts: 4,300
    Richard - you've always been a big proponent of NC.

My wife was born in Colorado and raised in Wyoming. She is absolutely done with the winters here.

OTOH, I was born and raised in Southern California (just a few miles from the ocean), spent three years in Arizona for college, then back to CA, and I've been in Colorado for 19+ years now.

I like the change of seasons that Colorado offers - there are really only two seasons in SoCal (dry and wet - does Santa Ana count as a third?). But I, too, am tiring of the snow and cold.

NC seems like a pretty good compromise - I was talking earlier this week with a co-worker who lives in Atlanta, and even she was telling me that NC was better than GA, weather wise.

Our week in Greensboro a few years ago was quite pleasant. We went in May, so it wasn't too warm yet and the wife really enjoyed the trip.

Hairspray and deodorant? My wife keeps her hair short, and we've discussed the perspiration issue.
  • bwiabwia Boston Posts: 1,195
    edited January 2013
    "...that offer turned out to be above asking price."

Just wondering. Did you not ask the price of the house before you made the offer?

Apparently not, but good question though. The house was so perfect for my needs that I threw all caution to the wind and made what I thought was a competitive offer. The irony of it all is that I was not even looking to buy at the time. So for I a while there I owned two primary residences.

Speaking of home buying, I am in the market for a good mattress to replace a six-year old Sterns & Foster that I bought at a bargain price through a guy who works for a high-end furniture store. In a local TV commercial for Jordan's Furniture, they are pushing the idea that your mattress should be replaced after eight years.

To prove their point they ran a vacuum cleaner on an old mattress and the years of dead skin and dust mites that were picked in the canister was appalling. That TV commercial certainly made a convincing argument to replace your mattress more frequently that you otherwise would.

Nonetheless, I probably will not buy another Sterns & Foster because the current one is ordinary at best. I am thinking of a sleep number bed or memory foam mattress but my wife does not want to spend too much on a mattress. Any recommendations would be appreciated.
  • verdugoverdugo Posts: 1,991
    Really?? It's usually the opposite.

Having grown up with electric stoves, I was leery of a gas one. But it's so much easier to cook on - instant heat, simple to control temp, et al.

Agreed. I talked my wife into getting an induction one (jmonroe would be proud of my convincing her.) Once in a while she still brings up that we don't have a gas stove.
  • verdugoverdugo Posts: 1,991
    my wife does not want to spend too much on a mattress. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

All right, I think we had exhausted the refrigerator topic. On to mattresses.

I love Tempurpedic. When we first bought ours 10 years ago they just had one model. Now they have a ton of them. Of course, the new ones are more expensive.

Not sure what your budget is, but def. check them out.
  • abacomikeabacomike South FloridaPosts: 3,514
    I know this is asking a lot but I know it's out there. Always the eterrnal optimist!

Sandman, it is difficult to find a nice place to retire where you don't pay a state income tax, where food costs are below the national average, and the winters are delightful. Have you considered northern Florida? Like Panama City, Jacksonville area (south of the city), St. Augustine?

I lived in San Diego for about a year and found the climate outstanding, but the state income taxes, auto registration (tags) sales taxes and cost of living are out of site. I agree that south Florida is difficult to live in because of the traffic, crime, and the very old drivers who can 't see or hear very well. I am seriously thinking of moving to either North Carolina, Georgia or northern Florida when my Dad passes on. I actually hate living here, but the winters are fabulous climate wise.

2014 Mercedes Benz CLS 550 - best car ever! 2nd best car ever, my 1967 Corvette Stingray Coupe with 435 hp.

• imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 18,098
    edited January 2013
    >To prove their point they ran a vacuum cleaner on an old mattress and the years of dead skin and dust mites that were picked in the canister was appalling.

I'm not sure what that was to prove. And I would be very suspicious of the point trying to scare me into replacing a perfectly good mattress. Most people have a mattress cover and sheets on top of the mattress. Why would there be tons of stuff in the mattress. We flip our mattress regularly to help spread the use.

I suppose you should just take your good vacuum cleaner and vacuum the mattress you have now off each time you turn it. That would be the point of the scare-mercial on TV, wouldn't it. Why would one have to buy a new mattress. Most people shed skin cells and that's a good reason for vacuuming the floor. I just can't get over the idea that a mattress holds a lot of skin cells and mites, if the case, as the reason for replacing it. Your car seat and floor probably also have skin cells and mites on them. Should we replace the car after 6 months of use?

Call me unconvinced by their commercial. :sick:

We bought a high quality, double-sided mattress from a company called Original Mattress Factory. I don't know if they are nationwide, but they make the mattresses regionally and back their product. We have bought 3 from there.

http://www.originalmattress.com/locations
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,627
    A lot of states have a length of residency requirement before you qualify for in state tuition.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,468
    I'm hoping (if they want), that at least 1 of my 3 kids really likes UCONN.

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

• driver100driver100 Burlington, ON 7 mo/Tampa FL 5 moPosts: 11,805
    I love Tempurpedic.

I agree, Tempurpedics are really good. The way I see it, if I am sleeping for 1/3 of my life it is worth getting a good mattress.

We went to the store and the salesman said to try lying on the Tempurpedic mattress. I was going to take my keys out of my pocket before lying down. The salesman said to keep the keys in my pocket, the memory foam will just form around the keys and you won't even feel them. He was right, and the mattress is terrific.

It seems dust mites are in almost all mattresses over 2 years old. You can by covers which get expensive. Some people do have allergies from dust mites. If you want to get sick you can read about them;
    dust mites

Vacuuming will get the ones at the surface, but not much inside. I think you have to think of them as part of life....like bacteria, unless you actually have allergies.

2012 535ix 2013 Audi A4 2013 Passat

• mako1amako1a VirginiaPosts: 1,656
    For the second time in six months the generator has been called to duty. It's all automatic and will shut off when power is restored. We have 9 inches of wet snow on the ground and according to the police scanner there are power lines down everywhere. Weather guessers have been predicting this for 2 days and exactly as they said it started snowing at 2PM and quit at 8PM.
    One sheriff's deputy reporting on a transformer said "it blew plum off the pole". Many folks will be needing new cars as untold rollovers and down an embankment have been reported as well. ps Mustang is in the heated garage with the shiny side up. Wife's Denali is outside buried in snow.

2013 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500 LT HD, 2001 GMC Yukon Denali

We have 9 inches of wet snow on the ground and according to the police scanner there are power lines down everywhere.

9" of snow! You're the one who should be coming to Florida for the winter. We don't even get 9" of snow back in Toronto.

Another idea is head to Costa Rica. Some neighbors who live in the Tampa area all year long can't take the heat in August. So, they go to Costa Rica for one month. Cost of a beautiful house in the mountains with a pool and no neighbors within miles is about $1500...per month!

Food is excellent, big meals cost about $4. The people are extremely friendly and good medical facilities and no crime. And the widlife is spectacular. It is on our priority list of places to go.

Good luck with the snow, hope you can get out in the Tang soon - or at least the Denali.

• stickguystickguy Posts: 14,298
    usually a year requirement. I figure that if I can't talk my way out of it, I would still get 3 years at a discount rate.

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (when daughter lets me see it), 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again), and new Jetta SE (son's first new car on his own dime!)

• mako1amako1a VirginiaPosts: 1,656
    Costa Rica for one month. Cost of a beautiful house in the mountains with a pool and no neighbors within miles is about $1500...per month!

What a coincidence. My nearest neighbors came here from 15 years in Costa Rica. He's a retired Marine Colonel with a wife 20 years younger. Maybe they missed the four seasons. It really is pretty here in the mountains, sun or snow.

2013 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500 LT HD, 2001 GMC Yukon Denali

• roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,384
    For some reason my wife wants me to check out the 500 Abarth; I figure that a test drive might be fun, and I do like the Abarth's raucous attitude and ultra small size. And TG's Jeremy Clarkson certainly likes it.
    Honestly, I don't know what I'd buy if I was actually looking- almost nothing-new or used-interests me. Most everything strikes me as too big, bland, or both. If pushed I suppose that I'd go with a CPO Cayman or E92 M3.

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

My nearest neighbors came here from 15 years in Costa Rica.

He came back from 70 to 80 degree weather all year round, to 9 inches of snow and ice!

Sometimes though, if things are too ideal, it can get boring...maybe we always need some adversity in our lives.

This man owned & drove the same car for 82 YEARS.

Mr. Allen Swift ( Springfield , MA.) received this 1928 Rolls-Royce Piccadilly-P1 Roadster from his father, brand new--as a graduation gift in 1928.

He drove it until his death last year at the age of 102!

He was the oldest living owner of a car that was purchased new.

Just thought you'd like to see it. It was donated to a Springfield museum after his death.

It has 170,000 miles on it, still runs like a Swiss watch--dead silent at any speed--and is in perfect cosmetic condition after 82 years. That's approximately 2000 miles per year.

That's British engineering of a bygone era. I don't think they make them like that anymore.

Full story: Longest running car with same owner

• isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 17,661
    We grew up in the same neck of the woods.

Me- San Pedro

You?
  • andres3andres3 CAPosts: 5,325
    I'm not impressed one iota with 2,000 miles per year totaling a miserly 170,000 miles.

I was 100 times more impressed with the 770,000 miles on an old Prelude sitting in the Honda Showroom in a San Diego Honda "new car" dealership.

The car was in good shape, and the sign said "still ticking strong." I took their word on that. No reason not to.
  • tyguytyguy ColoradoPosts: 804
    2,000 miles a year is tough on seals, bearings, and lubrication. Age alone will make material degradation difficult to stave off. I wonder what the maintenance schedule was like? Any reconditioning?

Neat story and the car is a testament to the owner, engineers, and manufacturer.
  • sandman_6472sandman_6472 Coral Springs, FLPosts: 2,640
    edited January 2013
    Hopefully newer cars will do better than this. I only drive about 1300 miles/yr and don't use the car daily but so far, so good. I change the oil once a year no matter what and get it up to speed on the expressway once a month now. But it's a Honda so I think I should be o k. It's only 6.5 years old right now so I should have no problem keeping it for another 5 to 6 years. It's a great car for my needs and I really do not want to buy a new car no matter how much I dream of a C Class or 3 Series. It just doesn't make any sense at all at this point in my life.

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2014 Hyundai Tuscon SE/2005 Mazda 3s/2008 Hyundai Accent GLS/2009 Nissan Versa SL hatch

• michaellnomichaellno Posts: 4,300
    We grew up in the same neck of the woods.

Me- San Pedro

You?

Up the coast in Oxnard. My folks and my son still live there.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 17,661
    Gotcha! we have close frinds n Ventura.
  • kevinc5kevinc5 Posts: 204
    I hope he had an extended warranty.
    I wonder what the maintenance schedule was like? Any reconditioning?

I believe the car had one major restoration. This is what the company said that restored the car:

Quite a number of years ago, Mr. Swift commissioned us to remove the body from the frame, send the engine to his long time friend Frank Cooke for reconditioning, and restore the frame, body, and interior to its original color, two-tone green combination with gold leaf striping and initials.

That seems to be the only major work done on the car.

I hope he had an extended warranty.

lol...........but at least he won't be posting in chronic car buyers anonymous!

I was 100 times more impressed with the 770,000 miles on an old Prelude sitting in the Honda Showroom in a San Diego Honda "new car" dealership.

Yeh, well, I'd be 1000 times more impressed with 770,000 miles on an old Neon, if they could find one that had lasted that long. :P

• andres3andres3 CAPosts: 5,325
    Yeh, well, I'd be 1000 times more impressed with 770,000 miles on an old Neon, if they could find one that had lasted that long.

Psshhh.... I don't think the combined resources and riches of Bill Gates AND Donald Trump could afford to keep a Neon running to 770,000 miles, even in a vacuum. ;)

They'd have to be bailed out running that experiment, just like the manufacturer has been twice already.

Speaking of which, the first time I bought a new car at the end of 2002, getting internet quotes was pretty much a game of getting quoted sticker price on everything. In the spring of 2006 it was more useful, as I'd get real "fair" prices going with internet/emailed quotes.
  • murphydogmurphydog Posts: 494
    edited January 2013
    Hey Sandman -

for what is is worth - I ride to work in a vanpool and only drive my car a few times a week - I put 4,000 miles on it last year and I fill the take every ~ 3 weeks or so...

Here is the best part tho - it is a C class that wife bought approved for my 40th birthday. Every time I fire it up and head out of the garage I have a big smile on my face!

Life is short, enjoy the heck out of it!
  • sandman_6472sandman_6472 Coral Springs, FLPosts: 2,640
    I agree but she'd go ballistic on me and say that I was crazy. Funny thing is, I've got a bit saved $ that I keep adding to so when i do purchase my next, and last, vehicle, I can do better than econocar. I'd have no problem buying a "pre-owned" C Class or 3 Series. And really, after I park it in the garage, I think she'd get used to it...and try to use it. Luckily, they opened the newest MB dealer right up the street, next to the VW & Audi dealer. By 2017, my target date, the last kid will be done with pharmacy school and she'll be retiring so my plan could come to fruition! :)

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2014 Hyundai Tuscon SE/2005 Mazda 3s/2008 Hyundai Accent GLS/2009 Nissan Versa SL hatch

This discussion has been closed.