Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Stories from the Sales Frontlines

Comments

• roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,674
    We went with a Royal Pedic Pillow Top mattress/boxspring set. A friend of mine on another forum sells them through his furniture store and gave us a 20% discount off MSRP.

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

• fezofezo Posts: 9,387
    Holy smokes! Well, now I have caught up but I'd missed the entire refrigerator discussion and was stunned that someone like electric stoves over gas...

When we built our house they hadn't run gas lines in the neighborhood but we knew that was coming soon. Spent a year or two on propane. This worked OK for the heat and hot water but it takes forever for a pot of water to boil with a propane stove! Once they ran the gas line it was just a matter of changing out valves which the gas company did.

Locally there is a chain of discount furniture stores. He makes a big deal of his Bobopedic mattresses - that they are thicker and way cheaper than a Tempurpedic. I can't imagine. If I bought a $7,500 mattress I couldn't sleep at night.
  • bwiabwia Boston Posts: 1,267
    edited January 2013
    I was at the New England International Auto Show yesterday

I spent about three hours at the New England Auto Show this afternoon but I didn't get to see as much as I intended since my wife was with me. When she got inside a vehicle she liked, I had to pry her away because she would check out every little detail, not realizing that there was a line of patrons waiting for a chance to get inside the car as well.

Nonetheless, I was impressed with the 2014 Chevy Impala. Such a beautiful car should be in the Cadillac or Buick line-up, not Chevy. Speaking of Buick. The 2013 Buick Encore Crossover is a winner. It is cute inside and out and I think it will be a home run for GM.

Unfortunately, because of tired feed and a slow moving wife, I was unable to get to the booths of Ford, Lincoln, Cadillac, BMW, Audi, Infiniti, Lexus, and Chrysler/Dodge. I hope I didn't miss much but really wanted to see the Cadillac ATS up close and personal.

By the way, the crowds were massive and there were many marquee brands available for test drives. If the massive crowds and the enthusiasm expressed by visitors are a prediction of car sales, then the auto industry should have a good year indeed.
  • jayriderjayrider Posts: 3,348
    The 2014 Impala is based on the Buick LaCrosse.
  • sterlingdogsterlingdog North CarolinaPosts: 6,983
    Tell us about the book. I forgot the topic because it has been so long since you mentioned it. Also, if you leave Chicago, where will you land?

Richard
    "...slightly below average when it comes to comfort, after four years down the road, and above average when it comes to price."

As I said, we selected the materials and had them custom made. They are now seven years old, extremely comfortable, and no sagging in the middle. We've been so pleased that we purchased a new set for the downstairs guest room in our new house.

Richard
    edited January 2013
    "...stunned that someone liked electric stoves over gas."

That was me. We've had three gas stoves in our 14 homes. We never liked a one of them. For us, they cook too fast and leave a slight odor that we don't like. It cost a small fortune to switch it out (Had to slightly enlarge the Corian countertop and find a totally white glass top with white knobs---no easy task), but my wife is now a happy camper. We do have an 80 gallon gas water heater which is very nice. Also, our front lanterns at the end of the walk are gas. Many folks used to have those, but now there are only two of us in town still maintaining them. They are really pretty at night.

Richard
  • tjc78tjc78 JerseyPosts: 5,025
    My mom has electric and has for over twenty years now. The last time she came to our house and was helping us cook she said "I'm jealous of this gas range".

I prefer gas but electric is better at simmering. When I make gravy (tomato sauce everywhere but Philly and south jersey) it's hard to get the heat low enough with our range despite having a special simmer burner. On my Mom's electric stove, no problems.

My Parent's house has a gas lantern out front too. It looks really nice when it works, but the jets always get clogged. It's been inop for quite a while now.

1999 Chevy S10 / 2004 Merc Grand Marquis / 2012 Buick LaCrosse

• driver100driver100 Burlington, ON 7 mo/Tampa FL 5 moPosts: 12,431
    He makes a big deal of his Bobopedic mattresses - that they are thicker and way cheaper than a Tempurpedic.

Bobopedics actually are rated pretty good by their owners.
    sleep like the dead mattress reviews

You can get a mattress for about $1000. 79% of the people who bought one liked it, which is about the same as most mattresses.

I don't know if I could actually sleep to well on a mattress that sounds like it was made in the guys garage, I mean a Bobopedic!

2012 535ix 2013 Audi A4 2013 Passat

You might get your parents to call the gas company to see if they will service the lantern at no charge. When ours went out the first time after about three months, I called. I was amazed to discover that they keep it serviced at no charge. They said that as long as we paid the gas usage for the lantern, they would keep it serviced. It will go out during a heavy rain or wind storm. They never mind coming by to relight it, and the guys are always friendly. I'm really impressed with this company.

You are right about the simmering on a gas stove. That was a real problem for us.

Richard
  • tjc78tjc78 JerseyPosts: 5,025
    I think the gas company fixed it once before. I was able to relight it, but the last time I tried I ruined the wicks. One day I will get it straightened out for them.

1999 Chevy S10 / 2004 Merc Grand Marquis / 2012 Buick LaCrosse

• snakeweaselsnakeweasel a Certified Edmunds Poster.Posts: 11,790
    Ah the book, well it's a spy novel that takes place just after WWII, the main character is a Soviet spy.

As for retirement I was thinking either Kentucky/Tennessee area (spent some growing up in Nashville and I like that part of the country) or maybe Mesquite Nevada. The wife and I were there not long ago and really liked it plus two of my sisters have talked about retiring there.

The wife has brought up a plan to move to the Philippines for a year or two (she is Filipino) and tour Asia a little before returning stateside for good. I have also looked into Belize as they have a rather large expat community there, the weather isn't bad and it's not that expensive to live.

Either way I will have to shop for a new mattress and refrigerator and worry about if I have a gas or electric stove so I could then join the conversation. :shades:

The sign said "No shoes, no shirt, no service", it didn't say anything about no pants.

• houdini1houdini1 Kansas City areaPosts: 5,960
    OK, you guys did pretty good on the hotel problem, so here is another one for you:

An old Arab man passes away. His entire estate is composed of 17 camels. In his will, he states his wish is to divide the camels between his 3 sons. He wants his oldest son to get one half of the camels, his middle son to get one third, and his youngest son to get one ninth.

The executor of the estate cannot figure out how to divide the camels in this manner to he calls on the services of the local wise man to help him out. The wise man comes up with the following solution:

First, he borrows a camel from the old man's neighbor, giving him 18 camels to work with. He then gives the oldest son 9 camels, the middle son 6 camels, and the youngest son 2 camels...then he returns the borrowed camel to the neighbor. Problem solved.

How did he do that?

2013 LX 570 2010 LS 460 2002 Tacoma 4x4

The neighbor is one of the sons.

The sign said "No shoes, no shirt, no service", it didn't say anything about no pants.

edited January 2013
    Nope. Plus that would violate the terms of the will.

By the way, I just finished my first book last week. Now I am thinking about reading another one. :)

Seriously, good luck with your novel.

Wait a second, did you say that the sons got 9, 6 and 2 camels?

Well that's 17 camels. 1/2 plus 1/3 plus 1/9 does not equal 1.

thanks for the wish for luck, right now I am doing the editing and afterwards comes the work of looking for an agent.

You got it !!

• kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 29,850
    If I bought a $7,500 mattress I couldn't sleep at night.

This.. :P

A couple of years ago, bought a new platform bed for our teenager, and bought a Sealy mattress from Sam's Club... I forget the model name, but it's the Eurotop model (pillow top, with edges sewn down).. It sits right on the platform, with no box spring.. We paid $400, I think, and it's the most comfortable bed in the house..

If it only lasts four years, I can do it two more times, and still save $6K over that $7500 bed.... ;)

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Posts: 6,689
    "...when are you going to Largo..."

Since Snake can't wait to get out of Chicago and I can't wait to get out of NY I thought we'd share a ride down to Florida and sleep on your couch. :P

Seriously, Florida wasn't in the budget this year but as the economy slowly improves maybe I'll have some movement on selling my place. After that we'll be heading south.

2009 PT Cruiser, 2008 Eclipse, 1995 Mark VIII, 1988 GMC Van

edited January 2013
    You know, until just recently nobody ever cared about tires neeeding to be replaced due to time.

Sorry to revive this topic but I thought I would share this observation.

I was just watching Pat Goss, the Dean of automobile mechanics, on Motor Week. He gave a long dissertation on tire replacement and recommends that tires should be replaced after five years of ownership, or six years at most.

His argument for such a short replacement time period is that a so-called new tire could be sitting on the shelf for up to eight months before being placed in service. He also recommends that modern tires should be replaced with 4/32 tread depth life left rather than the customary 2/32. According to Goss, 2/32 tread depth is a potential serious road hazard as the tires lose traction and susceptible to hydroplaning and wheel spin.

Nothing new here except it reinforces what most experts have been saying all along that tires should be replaced based upon the number of miles driven or time in use.
    Well, that puts my tire man right on the money. It's been five years and I have 4/32 tread depth life left. He suggested an April or May replacement time. I trust his judgment.

Richard
    The attached Boston Globe article turns our beliefs about gun violence on its head, and should change gun debate in Washington and elsewhere.

"In 2010, the last year for which complete numbers are available, the number of gun deaths by suicide in the United States outnumbered homicides 19,392 to 11,078.

If you add up all American gun deaths that year, including accidents, 3 out of 5 people who died from gunshot wounds took their own lives. Those figures are not an anomaly: With just a few exceptions, the majority of gun deaths in the United States have been self-inflicted every year since at least 1920.

This is a startling fact, and one that forces us to realize that, no matter what we may believe about the Second Amendment, the debate over how to reduce the death toll from guns is, to a great extent, a debate about suicide prevention."

http://www.bostonglobe.com/ideas/2013/01/20/the-gun-toll-ignoring-suicide/xeWBHD- HEvvagfkRlU3CfZJ/story.html?camp=newsletter
    It sits right on the platform, with no box spring.. We paid $400, I think, and it's the most comfortable bed in the house..

It's a European style bed, made with a platform or slats to support the mattress. The mattress won't last as long, but who cares, you don't have to buy a box spring. That's the same idea as most of the mattresses at Ikea.

You can try them in the store and you can return them within 90 days if you aren't satisfied. They even have memory foam.

I will say, it isn't for every one though. It isn't soft and cushy like an old Buick. They should sell you a mattress based on your preference in car makes. Maybe buy the car, get a mattress at 50% off!

I thought we'd share a ride down to Florida and sleep on your couch.

This is a true story. I have a friend who bought a place in Florida last year. His neighbors, a block away from him back home in Canada, who he doesn't really know....phoned and asked if they could stay a few nights just to use their place in Florida as a base to see other people. They brought in everything, said they would use the second bedroom, and they stayed for 6 weeks!

They also sat around and drank coffee all day long and decided what the meals would be. And then the woman said her husband was using the car and she wanted to use their car to go shopping. He didn't give them the car though. The visitors were both chain smokers and my friends don't smoke.

He says he gets worried if he hears a car coming close to their house.

edited January 2013
    the number of gun deaths by suicide in the United States outnumbered homicides 19,392 to 11,078

Interesting statistics, but not sure that is the only conclusion to be reached. Why were their 44 murders committed with a gun in Great Britain last year, population 61 million?

I'm not arguing for or against, just saying, what is the explanation for that?

On the otherhand, a pro gun person made a very good point. He asked anti-gun people if the would be willing to put a sign on their lawn that said "This is a gun free house". Personally, I wouldn't, I think my chances are better if bad guys think I have a gun. :confuse:

• stickguystickguy Posts: 14,976
    some people are way too nice (or wimpy) for their own good.

after a couple of days, I would have thrown them out. Give them a couple days notice, and if they try to impose, put their stuff on the driveway and lock the door.

and if they tried to smoke in my house or car, immediate eviction.

2013 Acura RDX (wife's) and 2007 Volvo S40 (mine)

edited January 2013
    some people are way too nice (or wimpy) for their own good.

I'm kind of with you. My friend isn't really a wimp...he's actually pretty tough, but, he has a good heart...probably too good, especially in this case.

I just couldn't have lived with these freeloaders at all. We kind of make it known we don't really want people to stay over. I sometimes joke that we were really looking for a one bedroom place so we couldn't put up visitors.
    People get the idea. I don't mind people visiting, but, there's not too many people I can have hanging around 24/7.

if they tried to smoke in my house or car, immediate eviction.
    That would happen with me too....I am surprised they allowed that.

I guess that's the downside of owning a place in Florida....now, I may have oldfarmer dropping in....hope he doesn't smoke.

Our neigbor back home says our fire alarm in the basement is on and it seems to be wired in....not working on batteries.
    We are here in Tampa area. Any ideas. If they switch off breakers the furnace may go off, not sure.
    My neighbour is mechanically challenged. Any ideas?

• stickguystickguy Posts: 14,976
    call the fire department and have them check it?

if it really is acting up, you can take it down and disconnect.

2013 Acura RDX (wife's) and 2007 Volvo S40 (mine)

Hey visiting Florida in the winter sounds great. I have 4 weeks of vacation saved up so I'll be there.

This discussion has been closed.