Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Stories from the Sales Frontlines

Comments

• verdugoverdugo Posts: 1,995
    I really appreciate it. I will get quotes for the following brands:

Marvin
    Pella (Lowe's and local)
    Andersen
    Milgard
    Simonton (HD and local)

I want to go with a local company, but will use the big box stores as reality check on prices. Now I just need to find time to get all of these appointment/store visits done. I'll keep you posted.
  • houdini1houdini1 Kansas City areaPosts: 5,898
    I have always heard that occasionally the better golfer does not win the match because in golf, there are quite a few variables (including luck) involved that the golfer does not control.

Supposedly, in tennis, the better player nearly always wins.

2013 LX 570 2010 LS 460 2002 Tacoma 4x4

I once played golf with a fellow who had to use two crutches to walk. Somehow he was able to drop one crutch, brace himself with only one, and make a pretty good swing. He had a pretty good game and was able to keep up without complaint, etc.

He played all 18 holes. I can't imagine how exhausted he must have been on what was a very hot day in Texas...but he never complained.

That's why I use a raket.

• stickguystickguy Posts: 14,441
    I played a few times with my BIL and one of his friends. The Friend has 1 arm and 1 leg (well, he has 2 of each, just that only one was "standard equipment".

He actually plays fine. really just swings with one arm, using the prosthetic one to stabilize the club before his backswing.

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (daughter stole that one), and 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again)

• tyguytyguy ColoradoPosts: 815
    Train tracks have ruined many a biker. When I was much younger my dad and I were cycling the streets of San Francisco side by side, when we came across a gorgeous woman walking the opposite direction. My dad became a little distracted and didn't notice the tracks ahead crossing our path at 30 degrees. So, he puts his skinny tires right into the track groove, loses balance, and falls over on ME! I pitch over and we both tumble into the sidewalk....right in front of said woman. A little sympathy from an attractive member of the opposite sex soothed our bruised egos. :blush:

I'm thinking the longer I put off an artificial knee the better the technology will become. That's one of the strategies of my surgeon. Minimal invasion until absolutely necessary, and make that first joint last as long as possible.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 18,163
    >longer I put off an artificial knee the better the technology will become. That's one of the strategies of my surgeon. Minimal invasion until absolutely necessary, and make that first joint last as long as possible.

How's the other knee? Maybe you can get a 2-for-one special. The surgeon here has the double transplants scheduled first in the mornings--they get priority.
    guiding the walker with one hand and the tennis racket with the other

I am still chuckling over your "shameful" remark. I can just see driver flailing around, racket in one hand, walker in the other.

A well aimed shot could knock the walker out of a competitor's hand. I wonder if there would be a way to wind racket strings around the walker legs in order to counteract this tactic?

• driver100driver100 Burlington, ON 7 mo/Tampa FL 5 moPosts: 11,938
    I think if you put those same cars on a different road, the ratings would be different.

I would agree with the points you made. Fun to drive is important on my list, but, that navi system would drive me crazy. I used the BMW one today, and it is so easy I can do it. Even gives you variations, fastest route, most economical route, shortest, non-highway, and scenic. And then the USB music is all easy to operate. Add the small back seat and really tiny trunk and that would eliminate the ATS pretty quickly.

We weren't too impressed when we test drove the 2013 328. Even the 335 was just acceptable. BMW has given up on the enthusiasts in favor of selling more cars. It will be interesting to see if Cadillac can actually win a place in that market, by being what a bmw used to be.

That was one thing I liked about the Audi immediately. The salesman said Audi's largest market is still Europe, while MB and bmw's are the US. So, Audi is still made to European tastes....however, that could change.

I think they wanted to compare an S8 but it wasn't ready at the time. I think that is the one that would appeal to me.

2012 535ix 2013 Audi A4 2013 Passat

I genuinely appreciate the concern, Richard. In March I went though my fourth knee surgery, and the operating surgeon was someone I had used for my third surgery a few years prior. He was able to track degradation between the episodes, and unfortunately the news was grim. I went through a bout of depression realizing that many, well, most of the activities I enjoyed were out. No cutting, no accelerating, no fast stops on my legs. Minimal impact only. Period. I struggled for months leading up to the surgery and then another month afterwards.

At that point I'd had enough of feeling sorry for myself and decided to do something about it. As soon as the physical therapist gave me the thumbs up to do so, I hit the mountains on a bike, and it felt GREAT. Suddenly I was enjoying something athletic that made me feel good without knee pain. I still had to be careful walking around as a little twist of the knee would cause a dislocation and shooting pain.

Fast forward to today after a summer/fall of road and mountain biking, and my legs are significantly stronger, my cardiovascular health is improving, and I'm spending the winter on an indoor spinner, stair climber, and elliptical machine. There's no pain when walking and the muscles are keeping the joint supported.

So, we'll see how long the joint lasts. Right now I feel good enough to drive a manual transmission again (keeping on topic just a little)
    Supposedly, in tennis, the better player nearly always wins.

Interesting theory. I asked a phsychiastrist friend (no, I don't see him personally) why people seem to be good at golf or tennis, but few seem to be good at both.

He said golf is a game of concentration, while tennis is immediate reaction. I think he could be on the right track, with golf you have to take into account the wind, the type of grass, the slope of the grass, the weather conditions, various clubs to use and lots more. Tennis is more straightforward.

I am not sure about luck though, someone like Tiger doesn't have that much luck...as we all know because his wife picked up his cell phone.

But, I think it is true, a more skilled tennis player will almost always beat a less skilled one, because luck plays a very small roll in tennis. Occasionally the ball hits the net and just goes over, but most points are scored because of skill. So, I think skill helps a lot in both games, but, luck plays a bigger role in a game of golf than tennis.

• robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 7,796
    He said golf is a game of concentration, while tennis is immediate reaction. I think he could be on the right track, with golf you have to take into account the wind, the type of grass, the slope of the grass, the weather conditions, various clubs to use and lots more. Tennis is more straightforward.

So what you are saying is that golf is a game that requires intelligence and the ability to process numerous variables to achieve the desired result and tennis is capable of being played by any oaf with a little strength and a modicum of eye hand coordination.

:P
    edited January 2013
    phsychiastrist

Now you've got me laughing (in a good way). Part of your "charm" is the way you tackle those words that are tough to spell. :)

edited January 2013
    That's brilliant! As a Costco shopper I always appreciate a volume discount. But alas, the other knee is perfectly healthy.
    I once played golf with a fellow who had to use two crutches to walk.

What some people are capable of! Our need to get enjoyment from physical activity does fascinate me. I have heard of blind golfers too, and there is an association of blind golfers in the US.

Can you imagine wanting to golf, and being on two crutches, or playing if you are blind? I think we all get satisfaction out of accomplishing something in our day, and just doing that must be a huge thrill.

This reminds me, our friend who has a wheelchair, would love to be able to buy a car that would allow him to enter it and put his wheelchair in the back. He was looking for a 2 door car (wouldn't work with 4 doors) that could be modified, like his large van. I suggested an older model 2 door Chevy Blazer or Explorer, but they are too high up. He would love a 328 coupe or A5, but those cars just aren't made right. I wonder if a 2 door sporty car could be modified for wheelchair drivers. If you hear of anything let me know.

So what you are saying is that golf is a game that requires intelligence and the ability to process numerous variables to achieve the desired result and tennis is capable of being played by any oaf with a little strength and a modicum of eye hand coordination.

Yeh, that is exactly what I am saying. The thing is, I have to say it in a nicer way or Richard will have to step in again.

Golf can best be described as an endless series of tragedies...followed by an occasional miracle. :)

I hit the mountains on a bike, and it felt GREAT.

You deserve so much credit for taking charge of your situation. It has taken most of my life to understand almost nothing just happens (I was content to hold onto a job I enjoyed, but didn't pay as much as something more challenging). If you really want something you have to figure out a way to make it happen and then go after it.

You have found a sport that works and you are pursuing it because it makes you feel better, which is great. I imagine swimming would be a good one for you too.

I think of life as being like owning a business in this respect. In business, you will always face huge problems. Every problem has a solution. The successful entrepeneures will find the answers so they can survive and thrive. Same in life, you have to always be looking for the solution to get to where you want to be.

You are doing that and doing a great job of it. Sincerest congratulations.

• abacomikeabacomike South FloridaPosts: 3,591
    >longer I put off an artificial knee the better the technology will become. That's one of the strategies of my surgeon. Minimal invasion until absolutely necessary, and make that first joint last as long as possible.

I had a full knee replacement (left leg) about 5 years ago. It's been very functional within limits, of course. The major concern I would have about ever replacing the other knee would be the very acute pain associated with the surgery (6 days inpatient in hospital on heavy doses of Demerol) and 14 days in a rehab center as an in patient. Then, 3 months of therapy as an out-patient 3 days a week.

It took about 6 months before I felt comfortable sleeping at night trying to find a comfortable position. I still have some residual pain every so often. At therapy, there were several of us who had the same surgery and we all experienced the same symptoms post-op and the same levels of pain.

I would recommend not having the knee replacement until absolutely necessary. The pain and discomfort for all those months is still fresh in my mind. The knee works fine, bit it's the long recouperative period that gets to you. Good luck!

2014 Mercedes Benz CLS 550 - best car ever! 2nd best car ever, my 1967 Corvette Stingray Coupe with 435 hp.

Golf can best be described as an endless series of tragedies...followed by an occasional miracle.

lol, but so true. I try golfing about once every 3 years. I have no idea how you are supposed to hit a ball over water, and then judge distance so it goes the right distance, not too far, not too short. Then, there is the grass, is it wet or dry, what is the slope of the ground. Way to many variables for my brain to try to cope with.

I like a tennis ball, hit the ball and it goes - no thought process.

Well, today we went to an exhibit in lakeland FL about one hour North of us. It was a Snowbirds Assoc show. I hate these things. This one is aimed at seniors and there are lots of booths and they try to sell you foot massagers, memory pills, health beads, time shares, hearing aids, kitchen gadgets, sleep number mattresses, hotubs, vitamins, foot soles etc.

I never enter a contest or I will be getting calls all day long. I don't bother with home shows either, they should pay me to go and be exposed to all the advertising. At least you may end up with a good idea or two at a home show. The one good thing was the musical entertainment, they were excellent. However, we turned a bad experience into a good one.

We spotted a Chick-Fil-A a few miles awy, on the way to the show. We didn't stick around too long and we got to CFA at about 5 to 12. The lot was almost full and it was busy in the drive thru lanes. We are both on diets so we went with grilled chicken salads, no fat honey mustard dressing, and coffees. All the ingredients were super fresh, the chicken was a s good as can be, and the price $6 is a great value. The fries looked delicious and when I reach my weight goal I will get a grilled chicken sandwich and reward myself with some fries.
    The coffee was excellent too.

On the way in a door was open and I took a step inside, before realizing it was the kitchen. It was immaculate. I was very impressed and am looking forward to going back. Even my wife who is not a fast food fan thought it was excellent.

Someone gave me great instructions for getting to a CFA in Lexington on the I75. I took those instructions with me but we got there at the wrong time of day for lunch, so I am glad I finally got to try it.

This VW ad is causing some controversy. The ad is to be shown on the Super Bowl. I think some people are overly sensitive, it made me smile;
    VW controversial Super Bowl ad

• robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 7,796
    This VW ad is causing some controversy.

Thus far, those two guests on CNN this morning are the only ones to find it offensive. IMHO, it's funny.
    This VW ad is causing some controversy. The ad is to be shown on the Super Bowl. I think some people are overly sensitive, it made me smile;
    VW controversial Super Bowl ad

I viewed the commercial several times to make sure I didn't miss any of the innuendos. In our modern world, political correctness seems essential so as not to offend various religious, social, ethnic and racial groups. There are Caucasian Jamaicans and Bahamians who speak with that dialect, however most of the time you would hear that English dialect from African Jamaicans and Bahamians.

I found it to be a humorous commercial, yet it definitely was a bit insensitive vis a vis ethnic, cultural and racial innuendos. I'm sure VW could have found many other ways to present it's product that was more politically sensitive.

Yes, we are all more sensitive in today's world, but VW should have been a bit more more discerning in its commercial presentation which uses a dialect more common to African Jamaicans/Bahamians than a Caucasian using that dialect.

The commercial did not have to use that dialect to sell its cars - but that is my opinion!

2014 Mercedes Benz CLS 550 - best car ever! 2nd best car ever, my 1967 Corvette Stingray Coupe with 435 hp.

yet it definitely was a bit insensitive vis a vis ethnic, cultural and racial innuendos

Maybe it is a fine point, but, I think sometimes we can be overly sensitive (that's a nice quality to have, so I hesitate to discourage it). I think it is a play on the song, "Don't worry, Be Happy". The ad only makes sense if it continues with that Jamaican theme.

It would be like an ad that pushes how large something is, and may use someone with a Texas accent. I wouldn't think that would be offensive in most cases.

If you make fun of people because of a perceived negative quality, that would be insensitive. Jamaican people promote that they are laid back and like to enjoy life at a leisurely pace. For that reason, I think the ad is fine.
    Having said that, it is pretty close to the edge though. An obviously white guy suddenly talking like a Jamaican is coming close...what would happen if that really happened in an office, especially if there were other Jamaican workers?

I'll say it is OK but comes close to going over the edge. I think the kid with the Darth Vader outfit was cuter and less likely to offend.....and was more creative.

phsychiastristPart of your "charm" is the way you tackle those words that are tough to spell

Hey, it's a living language so is always changing. I want to be on the forfront of change.

because in golf, there are quite a few variables (including luck

I just remembered being told this a few days ago. One game that has no variables and it doesn't depend on what other players do is.......bowling.

The pins are always the same, the lane doesn't change, there is no wind, no unknown slope, and the other players have no influence over what happens.
    It is just you against those stupid pins.

I just remembered being told this a few days ago. One game that has no variables and it doesn't depend on what other players do is.......bowling.

driveri, there is a variable in bowling - oiling the alleys and waxing the alleys. I remember when I used to bowl, if the alleys were freshly oiled, the ball would not break toward the pocket bit skidded more and did not hook. The same was true when the alleys were freshly waxed.

So, there are some uncontrollable variables even in bowling.

I also remember that when the alleys had not been oiled for quite some time, the ball would hook 8-10 boards. So I had to adjust my point of release. Also, remember that no two alleys are the same. Depending upon ball release and speed, you could have a wide hook on one alley and on the other alley, point of release and speed might have to be adjusted.

Do you agree, driver?

• explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,671
    but i finally was able to put the replacement tire on my mom's car today.
    The dashboard is still littered with warning lights.
    ABS, Brakes, Traction Control, Stability Control, Low Tire Pressure, Check Engine and Low Fuel.
    Took it to the gas station to put some fuel in it, but the Low Fuel light is still on.
    Taking it in to the dealer tomorrow. I'm hoping they can reset the computer.
    One thing that was nice is that they let me take the new tire/TPMS they installed on the rim without paying.
    The SA said he would just keep the ticket open.
    That's about $250 of product/service on my promise to return.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 18,163
    edited January 2013
    A car post and it's about shopping! :sick:

If you're thinking of going shopping in the Springfield, MO area... be sure to take a key for your car's starter.

http://articles.ky3.com/2013-01-23/keyless-entry_36511769

It went from a few isolated incidents to dozens. According to Affordable Towing, the cases are now above the 100 mark. Shoppers pull into the parking lot and shut off their vehicles. When they come back to them, they suddenly won't start.

"I've never seen anything like this before. I've been working in the automotive service industry for about 20 years."

Vehicles are making it into the James River Town Center parking lot on East Independence Street, but, for some reason, they can't get out.

Thompson Buick said they first started getting phone calls last Wednesday. Since that time, things have really picked up. They estimate, so far, they've worked on about 25 vehicles that have had this problem.

Not all vehicles are affected. It isn't hitting a specific automaker.

"It's been the Mercedes Benz, a couple of them. Most of them are Cadillac SRX's all wheel drives," Burnett said about his experiences.

Davis says he's heard reports of Ford, GM, Buick, and Cadillac vehicles being affected as well. The common demonimator: keyless entry, push button starters.

"It seems to be affecting everybody with keyless entry and remotes," said Davis, "with push button starts in their cars."

"Once they lock they can't unlock them. It doesn't work. Nothing works on it at all," Burnett said.

A lot of people are pointing their finger at a tower behind the shopping center. But, according to one of our KY3 engineers, that sort of tower would run at a much different, higher, frequency than a keyless remote.

Once you get away from the parking lot, the cars come back to life.

"We'd hook up to it and get out here to Independence and it would start right up," said Burnett.

"Something is going on that we can identify yet," said Davis.

For the meantime, it's a mystery, and it's keeping Affordable Towing quite busy.

"Within the past week, I've probably done about 14," Burnett said.

"Technology is better, but when you slip away from the keys and start relying on wireless and radio frequency, "said Davis, " there is a whole lot more of a chance of interference."

If you have a keyless entry to your vehicle but also have a key to your vehicle, you should be fine. This is affecting cars that have a push button start only.

Again, there is no explanation to why this is happening, but KY3 certainly will continue to follow the story.
    \
This discussion has been closed.