Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Stories from the Sales Frontlines

Comments

• driver100driver100 Burlington, ON 7 mo/Tampa FL 5 moPosts: 12,808
    Dodge gives Farm Bureau members a $500 discount on trucks.

But, if we all have a little farmer in all of us we should all get the discount.

2015 Mercedes-Benz E400 , 2013 Audi A4, 2013 VW Passat

I did have it right. The official that didn't call the hold on the niners' last play screwed it up.

Yeh, and if the guy hadn't run it back 108 yards you would have been right, and if the 49ers scored in the last 3 minutes you would have been right.......

While I am here I vote for the Dodge Ram/Farmer ads. They were clever and enjoyable and I learned something.

I must be getting old. I know Beyonce is very beautiful and she has a great voice, but was that music?

• Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,913
    There's a good reason why we only allow a 30-minute window for members to edit/delete their own posts. Wouldn't want to get rid of the "evidence," you know.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• sterlingdogsterlingdog North CarolinaPosts: 6,983
    It was the power failure. It sapped the official's momentum and he just couldn't see well enough to call the hold. :shades: ;) Also, the half time show distracted him for the remainder of the evening. :D

Richard
    Since when does this motley crew ever edit or delete their own postings? :P

Richard
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 15,656
    at least he made up for it by not calling the receiver for a push off either.

2015 Hyundai Sonata 2.4i Limited Tech (mine), 2013 Acura RDX (wife's) and 2007 Volvo S40 (daughters college car)

• Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,913
    True... no shame, I tell ya!

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• verdugoverdugo Posts: 2,020
    I can't believe #29 for the Ravens didn't get ejected. It was obvious that he shoved the referee. Lame.
  • fezofezo Posts: 9,442
    Maybe you could arrange something like giving a few of us to edit and/or delete some posts by other people.

Heap big fun I tell you!
  • roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,854
    edited February 2013
    I took my son's X3 in for an Oil Service today and my dealer gave me a new X1 loaner. I drove it to a hearing located in a town @100 miles away. Herewith my impressions:

While our X3 handles almost like a 3 Series, the X1 drives better than a new 3 Series. Unlike the current 3er, the X1 still uses a hydraulic steering rack that lets you know exactly what the front wheels are doing. The ride is on the soft side of firm. The interior is functional and attractive; most all of the instrumentation and switchgear has been lifted from the previous(E9x) generation 3 Series- which suits me just fine. The only nod to form over function is the "beer tap" shifter- an excellent example of a Bavarian answer to a question no one has asked.

This car had the start/stop enabled and it seemed to function much more smoothly than in the new 5ers and 3ers I have driven. Vibration was minimal, and I couldn't tell the engine had stopped without looking at the tach. Most of my time was cruising at 70 or better on the interstate, so I activated the "Eco Pro" mode, which is the über-efficient fuel economy mode. According to the OBC I averaged 29.7 mpg. The OBC also alleged that the Eco Pro mode allowed me to travel 30 miles further on the fuel consumed. And speaking of Eco Pro, it's a great feature to use at a steady cruise, but it is unpleasant in city/suburban driving; Eco Pro softens up response to the accelerator to the point that you think you are driving a car with 55 bhp.

So, would I buy an X1? If I needed AWD capability with BMW driving dynamics-and I could live without a third pedal-it would be my first choice. I'd really like to try an X1 M Sport; I suspect that it is a much more involving drive than most anything in Munich's US line up aside from the 1 Series and the ///M cars...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport 1975 2002A 2007 Mazdaspeed 3 1999 Wrangler 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2009 328i Son's: 2004 X3 2.5

I'd really like to try an X1 M Sport; I suspect that it is a much more involving drive than most anything in Munich's US line up aside from the 1 Series and the ///M cars...

Just for the fun of it I would love to hear your impressions of an Audi A4 with manual.

btw, I enjoyed reading your review. I think the Audi will lack the power you are used to, unless you try an S-Line model, but, I think it has good old Euro
    handling and suspension.

• nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,992
    Terrific X1 write up Roadburner. The X1 you drive was a 4cyl? With careful planning, it is possible to keep the X1's price reasonable.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2011 Pilot EX-L 4WD, 2015 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Premium

edited February 2013
    Thanks; I might well like the Audi, the A4 I drove several years ago was a nice sports sedan.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport 1975 2002A 2007 Mazdaspeed 3 1999 Wrangler 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2009 328i Son's: 2004 X3 2.5

Thanks! Yes, the one I drove was a 2.8. For some reason this four didn't feel as rough as the ones in the 528i and 328i I drove. My dealer has a Le Mans Blue X1 M Sport for 38,895. Heated seats and the panorama roof are the only options. The only other options I'd really like would be Xenons and H-K sound- but BMW NA bundles those with other equipment groups so they wind up costing much more than I'm willing to pay...

• jipsterjipster Posts: 5,345
    After watching the poor performance by both teams, by the power invested in me by the state of Kentucky... and edmunds, I declare the Dallas cowboys and Tony Romo world champs.

Also, I think it was fezo or oldfarmer that cut the juice off in the 3rd quarter.
    I know you are an audiophile. I'm not sure which radio your wife's 328i has, but my car has the base stereo & it is sort of on the weak side.

• bwiabwia Boston Posts: 1,296
    I took the plunge and switched from DSL to FIOS Voice and Internet 15/5 Mbps download/upload speeds. But so far I am underwhelmed. It took the tech over three hours to run a fiber optics line from across the street into my house and to hook it up to a rather large back-up power unit in my garage. One positive thing I can say is that the workman was very neat.

Perhaps I was asking for too much but is FIOS more hype than speed? And how can I test my upload and down speeds?
  • robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 8,036
    www.speedtest.net
  • bwiabwia Boston Posts: 1,296
    www.speedtest.net

Thanks robr2. I tried the speed test site and it revealed a download speed of 15.65 Mbps and an upload speed of 5.25 Mbps. So, it appears I am getting what I am paying for but I can't really notice the speed difference from DSL.
  • fezofezo Posts: 9,442
    Also, I think it was fezo or oldfarmer that cut the juice off in the 3rd quarter.

Yeah. OK. Who the heck turned them back on?

And they worry that next year in Jersey we might have snow.... Awwwww.
  • jmonroejmonroe Pittsburgh areaPosts: 5,540
    When he went to look at the new model Azera he saw a Genesis. He loved it. The manager said he could have the Genesis instead, but he would have to pay the difference, a few thousand dollars. That is what he did and he loves the Genesis.

I was thinking JMonroe (wherever he is these days) should have brought his car down to Tampa, they sound a lot more reasonable down here.

It’s a long story and not pleasant. My Delray Beach brother died a few weeks ago from complications to anti-rejection drugs that were prescribed after his heart transplant in December 2007. His heart was fine at the end…a couple of other body parts were not.

OK, now let me answer your question. How the hell was I going to get a car with a blown engine down to Florida? After the towing, I would have still lost.

While in Florida a few weeks ago, I noticed the prices of cars are pretty competitive down there. So much so, my nephew is thinking of turning in his leased daily beater, 2010 Camry basic stripper edition although it has A/C, in the Delray Beach area. His real car is a 2009 Infinity coupe. I don’t know a good lease deal from a bad one but he thinks the 2013 Camry come-on deal is very good. So, it’s a possibility if the deal is as good in the spring as it is now. He knows there is fine print to review but so far he’s in. My SIL likes the lease deals she has gotten on her two Genny’s. In 2011 she did an early lease turn-in of her ’09 Genny V6 when she got one of those “your used car is worth a fortune” mailings. She plans to get another one when her lease is up in the spring of 2014.

As for a pro doing your negotiating, Son #1 enjoys helping people get a good deal and has helped a few fellow workers and neighbors with buying their cars over the years. Last spring one of the women that he helped (he gathers the facts then tells them where to go, who to talk to and how to finalize the deal) comes over to his desk, lays down 2 Franklins and says “thanks, it worked. You saved me a lot of money”. He refused the money but settled for a lunch. When his mother heard the tale she said, “you shouldn’t have even accepted that. If you’re going to help someone you don’t take payment of any kind for doing it. I thought I raised you better than that”. :( All of this from a wife that told me to “be nice” about how I went about negotiating a better price on her ’06 Sonata trade, even if it would cost us a few more bucks, as we were driving to Ohio to get the Genny in March of ’09.

FWIW, Genny’s are a dime a dozen in Florida; at least they are in the Delray Beach area. I don’t think I saw less than two in any parking lot aisle I was in and I didn’t have to look hard to find those. Here in the Burgh area, they’re kinda elite beasts.

jmonroe

'09 Genesis V8 and '12 Legacy Limited 6 cyl

I'm so sorry about the death of your brother.

LOL! Didn't you love it when they called them "world champions"? I don't remember either team playing any other countries for the title. :D

Richard
    I wondered if something was wrong. We had missed you. I'm very sorry to hear about your loss. His wife is very fortunate to have you as her BIL. I know that you will help her if she needs advice.

Richard
  • graphicguygraphicguy SW OhioPosts: 7,536
    roadburner....thanks for your review of the X1. Kind of, sort of, maybe at a different time, I might, perhaps, be interested in that vehicle somewhere down the line.

To segue your review, yesterday I took the GF's S4 to the dealer for what she says is a trans problem. She says it "revs" at the wrong time. It's a DSG. Tried to explain, it's revmatching when it's downshifting. But, the dealership's word will put an end to this conversation. Off to the dealer.

They gave me an A6 to drive while the checked it out. My 3 coupe is smaller than her S4. The A6 is a whole lot bigger than either. Same motor as the A6 (3.0 supercharged). But, it has an 8-speed auto trans vs the 7-speed DSG in the S4.

I've had loaner drives in an E90 (4 cyl) 3 Series and a test drive in a current 535ix (6 cyl) and also MB350 and C350, both 4Matics. This has been all in the last 18 months. So, some months have transpired, but I at least have some reference points.

A6 "feels" about a half second slower to 60 than the S4. But, it is very comfortable. The seats are comfy, but nowhere near sport seats to hold your posterior in while doing some sporty driving. IT feels lighter on its feet than either the 5 series or the E/C Benzes. It's amazingly tossable given its size.

As good as I think the interior/dash is in the S4, the A6 trumps it (as well as the 5 series and the Mercedii). Audi just knows how to do beautiful interiors.

The driving characteristics remind me a lot of my previous Acura TL SH AWD, only the A6 is faster.

Audi's implementation of "start/stop" is worlds better than what BMW has implemented. It's barely noticeable (matter of fact, I didn't know the A6 had the feature until I looked at the dash at a red light).

The doors close with a satisfying thunk, just like those on the S4. Both cars are very, very solid.

The A6 is easy to drive fast. Ride/handling bests my 335i (which up until now, I thought was ideal).

The tech (namely the MMI) is the same as in the GF's S4. Although, her stereo is better (B&O), the A6 had what I'll assume is a Bose system.

If I ever decide to move into that size of vehicle. the A6 will be on my short list.
  • graphicguygraphicguy SW OhioPosts: 7,536
    roadburner....thanks for your review of the X1. Kind of, sort of, maybe at a different time, I might, perhaps, be interested in that vehicle somewhere down the line.

To segue your review, yesterday I took the GF's S4 to the dealer for what she says is a trans problem. She says it "revs" at the wrong time. It's a DSG. Tried to explain, it's revmatching when it's downshifting. But, the dealership's word will put an end to this conversation. Off to the dealer.

They gave me an A6 to drive while the checked it out. My 3 coupe is smaller than her S4. The A6 is a whole lot bigger than either. Same motor as the A6 (3.0 supercharged). But, it has an 8-speed auto trans vs the 7-speed DSG in the S4.

I've had loaner drives in an E90 (4 cyl) 3 Series and a test drive in a current 535ix (6 cyl) and also MB350 and C350, both 4Matics. This has been all in the last 18 months. So, some months have transpired, but I at least have some reference points.

A6 "feels" about a half second slower to 60 than the S4. But, it is very comfortable. The seats are comfy, but nowhere near sport seats to hold your posterior in while doing some sporty driving. IT feels lighter on its feet than either the 5 series or the E/C Benzes. It's amazingly tossable given its size.

As good as I think the interior/dash is in the S4, the A6 trumps it (as well as the 5 series and the Mercedii). Audi just knows how to do beautiful interiors.

The driving characteristics remind me a lot of my previous Acura TL SH AWD, only the A6 is faster.

Audi's implementation of "start/stop" is worlds better than what BMW has implemented. It's barely noticeable (matter of fact, I didn't know the A6 had the feature until I looked at the dash at a red light).

The doors close with a satisfying thunk, just like those on the S4. Both cars are very, very solid.

The A6 is easy to drive fast. Ride/handling bests my 335i (which up until now, I thought was ideal).

The tech (namely the MMI) is the same as in the GF's S4. Although, her stereo is better (B&O), the A6 had what I'll assume is a Bose system.

If I ever decide to move into that size of vehicle. the A6 will be on my short list.
  • tifightertifighter WAPosts: 1,395
    GG - I don't recall, but what were your final thoughts on that TL? Did you like it, not like it, trade it out of boredom, etc?

15 Leaf / 08 RDX

I took the plunge and switched from DSL to FIOS Voice and Internet 15/5 Mbps download/upload speeds. But so far I am underwhelmed.

15/5 Mbps download/upload is not particularly fast, specially considering you have fiber. Do they offer faster speeds?

I have 50/20 Mbps from my cable company using coax cable.
    Sorry to hear about your brother.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,972
    jmonroe,
    Sorry about your brother, that has to be upsetting.
    Hopefully he was able to enjoy a good portion of his life after the transplant.
    Just shooting from the hip, but wasn't the first transplant done around 1967 or so? To me, it's amazing that it could even be done.
This discussion has been closed.