Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Stories from the Sales Frontlines

Comments

• nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,468
    Mazel Tov on the purchase. Did I read correctly? You bought a 2006 w/ 218,000 miles? And all it needs is a battery?

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

• stickguystickguy Posts: 14,295
    looks nice. and really, really big.

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (when daughter lets me see it), 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again), and new Jetta SE (son's first new car on his own dime!)

• mako1amako1a VirginiaPosts: 1,655
    And all it needs is a battery?

Yes, and a light bulb in the tail light. It feels like a much lower mileage truck.

The guy had refresh (vent air fresheners) in it so you couldn't tell he smoked in it. I'm a light smoker and said no problem. He was relieved. Pirelli tires are good until next summer. And farmer, not any rust.

2013 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500 LT HD, 2001 GMC Yukon Denali

• driver100driver100 Burlington, ON 7 mo/Tampa FL 5 moPosts: 11,783
    2006 Chevrolet Silverado 2500

Looks good! Keep us posted on how it is running and how much you enjoy it.

Can the radio go right off?

2012 535ix 2013 Audi A4 2013 Passat

• mako1amako1a VirginiaPosts: 1,655
    Not while I'm in there. I turn it off twice yearly to reset the clock for the start and stop of Daylight Savings Time which I think is a really bad thing that needs to be done away with.

2013 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500 LT HD, 2001 GMC Yukon Denali

• ohenryxohenryx Posts: 285
    I have always hated daylight savings time. Never made any sense to me, absolutely none. The idea that we will save energy by using less lighting is total BS. In the summer, it's the air conditioning that eats all of the electricity, not the light bulbs.

But never mind that, congratulations on the new truck. It really looks nice. A heavy duty truck like that can be good for a lot of miles.
    and now, the expensive new lightbulbs you have to use, eat up a fraction as much energy.

I did think there was some reasoning about kids and the bus stop too?

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (when daughter lets me see it), 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again), and new Jetta SE (son's first new car on his own dime!)

• Follow-up when the deal closes.

C30 should be gone Sunday with its replacement coming shortly before or shortly after.
    so exciting!

reminds me, I got an email and call from the Volvo dealer (since after all, I am a loyal Volvo customer!) letting me know they upped the incentives. Until the end of September, the $500/$1000 (lease/buy) loyalty cash is doubled. And they still have 3 free payments (up to $1,350). So I could have 1K to cover $ down on an S60, then not make a payment until after Christmas. Tempting!

Or another $3,350 off whatever could be negotiated on a buy. If I was prepared to spend that kind of coin on a car I really don't need!

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Posts: 6,284
    edited September 2013
    "...not any rust..."

That's a good thing. Up here a truck with that milage would look like Swiss cheese. My son's scrapper friend recently acquired a 1999 Silverado 4x4 with only 88k on the odo that was completely frame rotted. He resold it to a plow guy who was just going to keep it on one large parking lot since it couldn't pass inspection. Paid $350, sold t for $850.

Is that the original engine? My old F-150 made it to 250k miles but it took two (maybe more) motors.

2009 PT Cruiser, 2008 Eclipse, 1995 Mark VIII, 1988 GMC Van

C30 should be gone Sunday with its replacement coming shortly before or shortly after.

Did we ever find out what was wrong with the C30? Wasn't your sister going to take it, but didn't like it that much?

What is the scoop on a C30?

• graphicguygraphicguy SW OhioPosts: 7,150
    Mako....I'm diggin' on that truck. I like it. Congrats!

I'm still trying to score a nice quasi luxo beater (isn't that an oxymoron?).
  • jayriderjayrider Posts: 3,263
    Using the word rust to describe the condition of a vehicle is so out of style. Nowadays the correct term is "patina."
  • Nothing wrong with it - my sister was going to take it about a year and a half ago after she totaled her S40, but then my move to Seattle came up and I needed the car.

At this point my wife and I would do better with a 4 door car. Combine that with my itch to try something new and end of model year deals...
    At this point my wife and I would do better with a 4 door car. Combine that with my itch to try something new and end of model year deals..

Gottchya, now i seem to recall that. Let us know what yo9u are looking at.

• "...patina..."

LOL, in my neighborhood you can see cars with such nice patina on one side that you can see clear through to the patina on the other side.

2009 PT Cruiser, 2008 Eclipse, 1995 Mark VIII, 1988 GMC Van

• Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,851
    Fantastic one, jay. I plan on re-using that and claiming it as my own :)

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• jayriderjayrider Posts: 3,263
    Letting others take credit for my genius ? It's what I do. Ever heard of something called the internet ?
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,184
    Brilliant - swiped and tweeted. :-)

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• abacomikeabacomike South FloridaPosts: 3,514
    I was at my Mercedes dealership this afternoon for a car wash, but because of some very heavy thunderstorms, we decided to put the car wash on hold until Friday. While we were waiting for the torrential rains to taper off, I walked into the showroom to gat acquainted with the new Mercedes CLA. While I was sitting in the car, I observed a husband and wife duo negotiating some better pricing on a new E350 Luxury model. They wanted the same discount off MSRP that their neighbors got on their new E350, but were having difficulty with the female salesperson who was working the deal.

So I decided to continue sitting in the CLA so I could witness their negotiating skills in action. It seems that their neighbors bought a new E350 for $3000 off MSRP. They wanted the same discount off the MSRP of the car they selected. The salesperson kept trying to convince the couple that getting $3000 off a $66,000 E350 Sedan was not a problem, but getting the same discount on a $58,300 car was not possible.

Finally, one of the managers got involved and offered the couple the same percentage discount as their neighbors got (4.5%) but that the same dollar discount off the car would have been a 5.3% discount. The husband then said that if he could get $2500 off the price of the car, they had a deal. Of course, they got their deal!

Unfortunately, if they had researched the car on Edmunds, they would have known that $3000 off MSRP on the car they wanted was an average deal on a new E350.

It just amazes me that with so many helpful resources on the internet that consumers can use to arrive at excellent pricing on new cars, some people just refuse to take advantage of those resources. These people were computer savvy as they had their iPad with them, calculating their payments, etc.

2014 Mercedes Benz CLS 550 - best car ever! 2nd best car ever, my 1967 Corvette Stingray Coupe with 435 hp.

• snakeweaselsnakeweasel a Certified Edmunds Poster.Posts: 11,707
    Tell me what is your impression of the CLA.

The sign said "No shoes, no shirt, no service", it didn't say anything about no pants.

• abacomikeabacomike South FloridaPosts: 3,514
    edited September 2013
    Tell me what is your impression of the CLA.

From the outside, it looks like a mini-CLS550. On the inside, it was not up to snuff for a Mercedes. I personally don't like FWD vehicles, so I would not consider buying a CLA. I'm a big guy, and felt very confined in the front seat, but I felt the same way in the CLS.

Very low stance and I hit my head on the headliner. However, for those who would like to own/lease/drive a Mercedes Benz, it's a very inexpensive way to enter the Mercedes Family of cars. It's no E Class, but it is a nice departure from the C Class. Great looks on the exterior but the interior is quite mundane. The car I sat in had an MSRP of $35,000. The base car is $29,990 + $910 for transportation. Add a premium package and a little of this and that, it tends to get a little more pricy. I believe the C Class is more comfortable for 6'2" guys. My right leg hits the console in the CLA.

I did not drive the car, but from what I have been told by sales staff, it is perky for a 4 cylinder engine. Materials and workmanship used in the body and the interior seem similar to the C Class.

I would have more to say if I had driven the vehicle - but I doubt I would be comfortable driving one if I was so uncomfortable just sitting in one.

Remember, there is more interior space and comfort in the E Class than in the seemingly larger CLS. I also found the C class more comfortable than the CLA.

I would urge you to stop by a dealership and check it out for yourself. It looks like a Benz, but I don't know if it handles like one .

2014 Mercedes Benz CLS 550 - best car ever! 2nd best car ever, my 1967 Corvette Stingray Coupe with 435 hp.

A few years ago we almost pulled the trigger on a C class as one of our cars but we decided against it. Currently I have something like 3 payments left on my car and about 2.5 years on the wifes. Plans are when my car is free and clear to take the payments and double up on the wifes car and get that paid off in early 2015. So the plans are that come the spring of 2015 we might start looking for a luxury car that we would use for "date" nights. Like when we go out for dinner or to a show or anything like that. We would use our current cars for daily drivers.

So MB is in the running for that along with a few other makes.

On a related note almost had to buy a new car today. Went to the bank and 40 minutes later give or take this happened.

The sign said "No shoes, no shirt, no service", it didn't say anything about no pants.

• "...has rebuilt title but no NYS inspection sticker... Am I missing something? The ad says the car is in New Britain CT. Why would it have a NY inspection sticker?"

the SALVAGEad is CT. ebay auction Woodside NY http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/290978788173

new one is http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/290983252946 Woodside NY

isellhondas is indepted for writing the following:

"Make sure your insurance company will insure it and just know that it wil be near impossible to resell down the road.

Me? I wouldn't even think about it! "

we checked the vin n saw the pics and this one is no-go http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/290983252946 and we found salvaged here http://www.salvage-cars-for-sale.info/salvage/for-sale-subaru-forester-2008-Mjc4- OTI1NzI

thanks
  • Mooch here! As a Mooch, my wallet is most pleased dealers now reduce the price while attempting to enhance profit via those somewhat deceptive fees. A simple no is a wonderfully effective counter to such dealer gambits.
  • dino001dino001 Tampa, FLPosts: 3,486
    edited September 2013
    It is not "mooches" who ruined this market, it is those store owners and operators who discovered thay could SAY (in print, on the radio, TV, in person) their price is less, but in fact they charge you more overall by splitting the price into a "price" and a "fee", then advertise the former.

What is a mooch, anyway? Somebody, who just dares to say "I think I should pay less than the your are offering"? Or perhaps not buy that great paint sealant and seat protection package for $599, put on every car on the lot? If so, I'm the first mooch and so is everybody here on this forum who is a car buyer.

The salespeople here always tell us "all you need to do is say no". I could say the same thing about store owners and sales staff - all they had to do is say "no" to what they considered unacceptable offers, draw the line and stick to the real price. But no, they rather chose to pretend their price is whatever the "mooch" customer asks, but magically they recover the profit by adding fees for non-existent services.

With that we're all up to the races. Florida dealers are now in sub $1000 territory in terms of fees (I've seen already $799+$99+some other small amount, all called "fee for this and that"). Japanese brands are absolute worst, leaders in inventing phoney charges, but domestics and others promptly follow suit. All that lets them falsely advertise lower price. At least they have to put the fee in the fine print, as mandated by law and same on their cars. I'm waiting for a day of $1 price commercial (plus $19999 fee, of course). With ads advertising prices without those big fee and having additional $3000 deducted for a trade value (as that is paid by Santa Clause or dwarves, not the customer) and another thousand deducted for some hard to qualify discount, it doesn't seem so far away.

2012 BMW 328i wagon, manual and sports package. No. sold in the US: 1. Probably.

• graphicguygraphicguy SW OhioPosts: 7,150
    Snake...what happened there? Did the SUV spontaneously combust?

Going off the reservation here for a moment because I'm more than a little miffed.

A couple of years ago, I decided to go bigger with my TV. I moved my Pioneer plasma into my den from the home theater room. Since Pioneer got out of the plasma business (bummer as they made the best TVs), I keyed in on a Panasonic.

I had bought quite a few things at HHGregg. So, off to their store I went. I wouldn't call them high pressure, but you definitely know they're on commission when you walk in.

Anyway, I spied a Panasonic TV, 65" Plasma. I was waffling whether I wanted to spend that much money (it was actually about 1/2 what I had paid for my Pioneer 3 years earlier). Salesperson went to his computer and came back with a price about $600 less than the price on the TV's store tag. Done deal.

Here's where it gets tricky. I'm not an "extended warranty" person. But, figuring the sales person gave me a good deal, and given that he also discounted the extended warranty (going from 1 year manufacturer's warranty to 4 years of extended with a company called Warrantech), I popped for it.

Fast forward to 3 months ago. The Panasonic TV starts to flash unevenly across different parts of the screen. Remembering my extended warranty, I dig out the paperwork and call the 800 # for Warrantech.

They send out one guy who fiddles with the TV, takes the back off, checks connections of some sort and decides he really doesn't know what's wrong. But he decides to order a circuit board, anyway. A month later, the part comes in. He comes out to put it in, still no luck, part of the panel is flashing.

He says it must be an issue with my power (nope...have my home theater running through a power conditioner connected through on a seperate circuit).

Warrantech says technician says it's a power problem. I disagree. We go back and forth for another month, fighting, letter writing, dealing with inept technicians and even more inept Warrentech employees. They decide to send another technician out.

He calls first and assures me he knows exactly what the problem is. He orders another circuit board and goes through the whole routine. Again, no fix. I suggest that it's probably the plasma panel itself (which is super expensive). He says it's a power problem.

To put an end to that, I actually put another tube TV (which uses a whole lot more power than a plasma) and show him that it's not a power problem as the tube TV works fine.

More letter writing, more phone calls, try to reach Warrantech's exec staff...funny, they must always be out of the office as I could only leave them voice mail once I got through the secretary. They, in turn, keep pushing me back to the inept peons who are worthless to me.

Frustrated, I file in small claims court to get a refund of my purchase price, per their wording in the extended warranty.

All of a sudden, they're seeing things differently. They magically decided to replace my TV because of a panel issue. But, I have to ship the old TV back to them. That's not going to fit in my trunk. And, I wouldn't even know how to pack it, or who to use to send it back. I suggest having HHGregg picking the old TV up when they deliver the new one, putting the broken TV in the new TV's box and sending it to Warrantech the next time they make a delivery to them. OF course, that takes another 2 weeks to get them to agree to do that.

New TV is delivered...everything is fine, finally.

The downside, they no longer made the TV I used to have. So, I had to get the newer version (which costs $200 more, but does have a better picture).

HHGregg suggested I buy another extended warranty on the new TV.

No way, no how, under any circumstance would I ever do that. Anyone cosidering an extended warranty from Warrantech should be extremely cautious. They're bordering on being fraudulent.

Thanks for letting me vent.....!
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 18,087
    >They're bordering on being fraudulent.

Thanks for posting that. Good information.
    A small plane crashed there trying to land at a nearby airport. I was there at maybe 4:30 or so the plane crashed at about 5:15.

• dino001dino001 Tampa, FLPosts: 3,486
    edited September 2013
    A few years ago I simply stopped buing extended warranties, period. Doesn't matter if the company is a scam, or legit. I'm simply no longer interested.

I used to buy those, I bought one for new appliances when I moved to my house, car (twice), TV set (once), tires (road hazard), each time I let myself be talked into them. After a review of 10+ year activity warranty purchases and claims, I concluded it didn't even come close. The ratio was something like 4 to 1 for the insurance companies. So a few years ago I decided no more, even if the price looks good. I basically say, I'd buy one, but at the price they would not sell it to me.

Moreover, as my career progressed and asset base increased, I also realized I have enough cash or highly liquid assets to buy most of my stuff twice over, except the car and the house of course. I can afford to shell out several thousands on a very unlikely engine job, if I had to. I wouldn't like it and it would sting no doubt, but I can do it.

Insurance should be for catastrofic stuff, not for little or even midsize losses. I define catastrofic loss as something that would force you to sell more than 30% of the held assets, or go into big debt. However, it seems that both banks and insurance companies let us believe that we shouldn't be saving any money and because we aren't saving, we should be buying their protection against even fairly small losses, just to save ourselves some pain. What's worse, when it comes to call for that protection, it looks like it's often not even there. Seems to me like road straight to serfdom.

2012 BMW 328i wagon, manual and sports package. No. sold in the US: 1. Probably.

This discussion has been closed.