Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Stories from the Sales Frontlines

Comments

• houdini1houdini1 Kansas City areaPosts: 5,874

Very busy, fun day. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to everyone here !! ;)

2013 LX 570 2010 LS 460 2002 Tacoma 4x4

• mako1amako1a VirginiaPosts: 1,655

Driver, did you ever figure out how to post a picture yet?

2013 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500 LT HD, 2001 GMC Yukon Denali

I always liked the Mopar Pistol Grip Shifter

These were always a guess. Could be a 318...could be a 426 Hemi.

These were made for SCCA events but with that hi rev 302 could go fast too.

Freds double wishbone suspension gave great feel of the road.

• roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,381

@mako1a said: These were made for SCCA events but with that hi rev 302 could go fast too.

The 1969-1970 Boss 302 was a screamer once you wound it up, but in the original musclecar era cubic inches ruled and the ability to stop and turn was not a priority. Car Life magazine tested a 1968 427 Cougar GT that understeered to such an extent that the FRONT tires smoked. The Boss 302, Z/28, and-surprisingly-the Olds 442 were the best cars to drive when the road threw some curves at you.

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

• ab348ab348 Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CanadaPosts: 1,807

@roadburner said: The 1969-1970 Boss 302 was a screamer once you wound it up, but in the original musclecar era cubic inches ruled and the ability to stop and turn was not a priority. Car Life magazine tested a 1968 427 Cougar GT that understeered to such an extent that the FRONT tires smoked.

I remember that test! I also remember the magazines general dissatisfaction with the Ford muscle cars of that era with that big heavy iron lump of a 390 in the engine bay and later the 428. It really challenged those cars ability to handle the curves.

2011 Buick Regal Turbo, 1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass S Holiday Coupe

• abacomikeabacomike South FloridaPosts: 3,514
    CAR BUYING SERVICES

One of the neighbors asked me if I was familiar with the membership buying services from Costco. I am not since the only experience I had with them was many years ago when I was looking at buying my 2008 Mercedes E350. If memory serves me right, the price I got from the participating dealer was thousands more than I actually paid. He is looking to buy a Cadillac ATS which he showed me in one of their emails yesterday.

Does anyone know anything about this or have any experience with them? What can I tell him that would be helpful?

I always felt that if you deal directly with the dealers, you make out better. Any thoughts?

2014 Mercedes Benz CLS 550 - best car ever! 2nd best car ever, my 1967 Corvette Stingray Coupe with 435 hp.

• driver100driver100 Burlington, ON 7 mo/Tampa FL 5 moPosts: 11,787
    edited December 2013

@mako1a said: Driver, did you ever figure out how to post a picture yet?

** > Mako.....NO....I need help, in easy step form please. **

2012 535ix 2013 Audi A4 2013 Passat

@abacomike said: CAR BUYING SERVICES
    I always felt that if you deal directly with the dealers, you make out better. Any thoughts?

Mike, There are some people here who can give you more and better info, but for now, the short answer is I have heard some good stories from people who have bought thru COSTCO. For some reason their buying power translates into a nice savings...probably not in your case because you get some extras most regular consumers just can't get..

• graphicguygraphicguy SW OhioPosts: 7,156

@abacomike said: CAR BUYING SERVICES
    One of the neighbors asked me if I was familiar with the membership buying services from Costco. I am not since the only experience I had with them was many years ago when I was looking at buying my 2008 Mercedes E350. If memory serves me right, the price I got from the participating dealer was thousands more than I actually paid. He is looking to buy a Cadillac ATS which he showed me in one of their emails yesterday.
    Does anyone know anything about this or have any experience with them? What can I tell him that would be helpful?
    I always felt that if you deal directly with the dealers, you make out better. Any thoughts? Mike...I've heard nothing but good about the Costco buying service. That said, probably the best advice I could offer is to have your friend fill out the Costco form and see what they come back with.

edited December 2013
    @driver
    @graphicguy

Thanks, guys. I'll pass that information to him tomorrow morning. My thoughts were that Costco must get something back from the dealer or manufacturer which would reduce the possible savings - but maybe they have a relationship with the manufacturers that does not affect the selling price for the dealer.

Thanks again, guys!

2014 Mercedes Benz CLS 550 - best car ever! 2nd best car ever, my 1967 Corvette Stingray Coupe with 435 hp.

edited December 2013

@driver100 said: ** driver, your pic has to be already on the net in http. when you find the pic, right click and go to "view image info" look for the hi-lited part beginning with http. right click and choose copy. Just above this (where you write) box find the square box with a picture in it with a drop down arrow. Click the arrow then after you remove the http:/ already there, put in your data with a right click and paste. Click OK and Do a preview or just post.

@mako1a said:

Mako, you are a genius....do you also write up wills and things for people?

I tried it 3 times as you can see but it may have been from a secure site. It works the same as it used to, except you have to take out the hppt that is already there.

I showed the instrument panel of our 2013 Audi A4. I drove it 300 miles round trip yesterday so we could visit my wife's mother....who is 101!

The Audi is by far the most fun to drive car I have ever driven. I don't understand why there aren't more of them on the road....it has the perfect balance of firm steering and yet it takes the bumps nice and solid. The lane change warning system is a little extra protection. I also like the high seating and clear vision in all directions. The instrument panel is very low and gives a sweeping view forward. The instrumentation is laid out clean and easy to read. The car is even better as a manual, whatever gear you are in is shown in red on the instrument panel...say you are in 4th but could be in 5th or 6th....that is shown as +5 or +6 in green. The gears shift smoothly and it has a fair bit of oomph with the turbo engine.

It is way more fun to drive than my 535, but it isn't quite as comfortable for the long drives. I could live with it very easily though. I have driven a lot of rental cars, owned a variety of cars, and have driven other makes...nothing comes close to the A4 for driving enjoyment in my humble opinion.

Thanks again Mako........you can put up a picture for me, but if you teach me how to do it I can do it forever myself! It's a gift!

Mike....I think I read there's a flat fee that dealers pay to Costco either per month or annualy. I don't know if it would affect any such "deal" and individual could make, since the fee is probably spread across a lot of units. But, it would enter into the equation when a store is figuring its monthly overhead and putting a single number based on that. They have to recoup that all those hard costs. Not sure how it works, but I would imagine there's a number each dealer has to make on each unit based on those hard costs.

@abacomike said: driver graphicguy
    Thanks, guys. I'll pass that information to him tomorrow morning. My thoughts were that Costco must get something back from the dealer or manufacturer which would reduce the possible savings - but maybe they have a relationship with the manufacturers that does not affect the selling price for the dealer.
    Thanks again, guys!

edited December 2013

I tried to post a picture, but I'm just not technologically inclined to handle complex things like this. What can I say - I'm technologically handicapped

That looks nearly identical to my (former) Audi, except mine had a flat bottom steering wheel.

I agree with driver's assessment. The interior is a nice place to be in an Audi.

@driver100 said: ")")

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Posts: 6,288

Re: car buying services

I recently went to True Car to price a 2014 Mustang. Ford site said $39k+. True Car said they could get it for about $35k which I thought was pretty good until I got TMV price (had to use my desktop to access) which was about the same.

I'd love to see what Costco could do. There are no stores anywhere near me but I would pay the membership fee if I could save enough.

2009 PT Cruiser, 2008 Eclipse, 1995 Mark VIII, 1988 GMC Van

@abacomike said: I tried to post a picture. What can I say - I'm technologically handicapped

Compared to me you're a regular Steven Hawking

@abacomike said: I tried to post a picture, but I'm just not technologically inclined to handle complex things like this. What can I say - I'm technologically handicapped

MMako's instructions were excellent....try doing this. It is possible you were trying to get a picture from a secure site. 1. Open another browser and go to this edmunds site for a 2013 MB E350, http://www.edmunds.com/mercedes-benz/e-class/2013/ 2. Check the pictures to the right...they change but get one you like.

1. Right click on it and you will get a few options. Left Click on the one that says VIEW IMAGE INFO.

A new screen will pop up. Just under the window there is a title to the left called LOCATION.

1. Copy that line from the left to right and include http//

2. Now come back to your Edmunds page. Click on the symbol that looks like a square above, it is the 9th symbol over from the B (for bold).

6 Left click on the square symbol.....a drop down window will appear. Just put the cursor to the right of the http// and back space to delete the http// that is already there...you have copied that. Now paste the LOCATION line you copied into that space.

1. Make sure your cursor is where you want the picture to appear. Press OK and the picture should be there.

My technological abilities are very limited. I use my cell phone about once a month, and it is a clamshell model. I can't use it for texting and I rarely use it for taking a photo. Try a few times and let me know if you have a problem.

**(picture didn't turn out where I wanted it too, but, it is there)

@graphicguy said: That looks nearly identical to my (former) Audi, except mine had a flat bottom steering wheel.

I agree with driver's assessment. The interior is a nice place to be in an Audi.

I love those flat bottom steering wheels, and the interior on the S model. The problem is they come with performance tires which are probably useless in snow. I'd have to get the regular A model, but, then probably less chance of things going wrong.

I'm now officially depressed .

Was just leaving my driveway in my $900 van and I saw a car carrier in my neighbor's driveway unloading TWO new BMW 650 convertibles. One was light grey the other dark grey.

He just sold his company for over $50 million so I guess he can afford it.

@oldfarmer...I'm now officially depressed .

Oldfarmer, don't get depressed - get even!

• cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Forest Lakes, AZPosts: 3,245

@oldfarmer50 said: He just sold his company for over $50 million so I guess he can afford it.

You obviously live in a neighborhood far superior to mine, not that that's much of a bar.

Given your past posts, are your neighbors pleased to have you around? Do you park the school bus in your yard or drive to it? Around here, especially in rural areas, the driver simply takes the bus to his/her residence so that it'll be readily available the next morning.

• jmonroejmonroe Pittsburgh areaPosts: 5,540

@abacomike said: oldfarmer...I'm now officially depressed .

Yeah, like go take an early morning drive in the beast. Just make sure to fill-er-up when returning it. Most owners hate finding an empty tank first thing in the morning. :D

jmonroe

'09 Genesis V8 and '12 Legacy Limited 6 cyl

@jmonroe ... Most owners hate finding an empty tank first thing in the morning.

Oldfarmer just has to pull the neighbor's car into his bus depot, fill it with diesel, then get it back in time for his neighbor to hit the ignition - and BOOM!

BTW, hope you and the. Mrs. Had a great Christmas, jmonroe!

@abacomike said:

Remember, I said I was driving a $900 van and my neighbor has $50 million? The only way I could get even would be to start raising pigs.

@cdnpinhead said: Given your past posts, are your neighbors pleased to have you around? Do you park the school bus in your yard or drive to it? Around here, especially in rural areas, the driver simply takes the bus to his/her residence so that it'll be readily available the next morning.

Well, I was there first so there's not much he can do. If he doesn't like me he can buy me out any time. Looking to sell so I can move in next to driver100.

In the old days before they had cameras and GPS on the buses I would occasionally take mine home if I was doing a field trip near my house. No more though.

This discussion has been closed.