Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Stories from the Sales Frontlines

Comments

• abacomikeabacomike South FloridaPosts: 3,122
    Mike....found it. Here you go.....

Thanks - that's the 2014, not the 2015. I knew about the front lights, but notice they removed the Mercedes Star hood ornament and but the star in the front grille, just like the C, M, CL, CLS, S, SC. I was hoping they would keep the ornament - it just doesn't look like a Mercedes without that Mercedes Star ornament.

I knew they were going to LED's next year, but the major overhaul of the E Class takes place in 2015. Next year is just a minor refresh of the front end.

I'm going to wait until I see the 2015 before making a decision about getting a new one at that time.

Thanks again!

2014 Mercedes Benz CLS 550 - best car ever! 2nd best car ever, my 1967 Corvette Stingray Coupe with 435 hp.

• graphicguygraphicguy SW OhioPosts: 6,894
    edited December 2012
    tjc.....a bit convoluted in shifting around cars, but my son now has the Fiesta. He likes it. Good MPG. It's a little slow (so he says), and the auto trans is a little "hinky" (Ford is readying a software patch to work that out). But, overall it's a very good small car.

Farmer....the Accord to GF's relative did go south. Actually, I pulled the plug on it, in no small measure because of the pitfalls my good friends at Edmunds brought to the forefront regarding doing deals with relatives (or, in this case, relatives of a significant other). I've been driving it. It's a good car.....once you consider it's mileage.

Mike.....you're welcome.....wasn't sure if the '14 E was the redesign or not. It looks substantially changed, however.

ty....thanks for the mini-review. Frankly, the 500 is sounding like something I probably wouldn't be interested in, given your thoughts.

Supposedly, the Accord is sold (again). Haven't seen any money yet ($2,200 offer accepted, though). And, the person buying is one of those "friend of a friend of a friend" deals. But, he's supposed to bring a money order this weekend for the car. We'll see.

May just stick to the cars we already have. Figuring mileage, the '13 S4 has 4K miles (bought in June). The '11 335i has 19K miles. So, it's not like we're racking up the miles on either car, making a 3rd car more of a want than a need.
  • abacomikeabacomike South FloridaPosts: 3,122
    edited December 2012
    Mike.....you're welcome.....wasn't sure if the '14 E was the redesign or not. It looks substantially changed, however.

Not from what my dealer told me. The 2015 is a total redesign whereby the 2014 is a quick make-over for front lights and Star placement in the grille and rear lower panels. My guess is that the make-over front end (minus the Mercedes Benz Star Ornament on the hood) with a large star in the front grille is a sneak-peak at what the total redesign will be in 2015. The sides and roof reveal will be identical to the 2010-2013, but will change in 2015. I also believe they are adding the Stop/Go feature to the E Class Sedans and Coupes for next year.

Now this is according to my dealer. Mercedes usually has total redesigns to its E Class Sedans every 5 to 6 years. The 2014 will be the 5th year of the body style.

It is quite possible that they will stay with the 2014 refresh for 2015 and introduce a redesign in 2016. In that case, I would keep my car until the redesign. You lose too much value in your car if you own it if you purchase a car toward the end of its current body style since the redesign lowers the value of previous designs.

I am in no hurry to purchase a new car at this point. If your assumption is correct and my dealer is wrong, and the 2014 is a major redesign (which is improbably), I might consider it - but highly unlikely that the 2014 is a major redesign.

the closer we get to April or May, the better look we will get at the 2014 and then decide.

Thanks again for the link!

2014 Mercedes Benz CLS 550 - best car ever! 2nd best car ever, my 1967 Corvette Stingray Coupe with 435 hp.

• verdugoverdugo Posts: 1,977
    edited December 2012
    You are saying the 2013 is a refresh to which I agree but it's a refresh of the ALL NEW 2012 Civic. Refreshes are typically 2-3 years down the line for Honda - not 1.

Agree 100%. Also agree with the use of the word "refresh".
    Seems it can mean different things depending on how it is used.

Welcome to Arguing logic 101 by driver. My advice is to just move on. You're not going to win. He'll disagree with you, while agreeing with you, just to say that you're both right, but that he's more right.

:P
    RB...if you test drive a 500, I'd love to hear your impressions.

I had one for 3 weeks as a loaner. It was REALLY fun to drive. My wife loved it and wants one. It was a rental, so it was the very, very base model. Even with that little engine, it had plenty of power.

Front seat room was fine, couldn't tell it was a tiny car.

Back seat room? Only babies. Trunk space? You know how some cars use the number of set of clubs as a proxy for trunk size? For the 500, it'd be golf balls. ;)
    First - pull out that book in the glove box and read it.

Best answer we've had in the forum for a while.

As rob said, they are pretty cheap. I just got a 8GB one from amazon.com for $8 or so.
    The materials are cheap. No nice way to put it. The car may say FIAT on the badge, but the labels in various location show Chrysler Mexico, so don’t expect luxury level materials

I disagree with that. The materials are what corporate decides to put. Rent a 500 in Europe and it'll be the same. It has nothing to do with it being built in Mexico.

Are you going to say the same thing when Audi starts buidling cars in Mexico?
  • driver100driver100 Burlington, ON 7 mo/Tampa FL 5 moPosts: 11,327
    edited December 2012
    Welcome to Arguing logic 101 by driver. My advice is to just move on. You're not going to win. He'll disagree with you, while agreeing with you, just to say that you're both right, but that he's more right.

You might have a point there verdigo, but then again if you look at it from a different angle you could come up with a completely different viewpoint. It is hard to say. Who really knows? Sometimes you could be right, but, at other times maybe not. It depends on the current temperature and possibly the phases of the moon.

I notice one thing....I may not make much sense but you seem to read all of my posts........at least I am not "boring". :P

2012 535ix 2013 Audi A4 2013 Passat

As rob said, they are pretty cheap. I just got a 8GB one from amazon.com for $8 or so.

Ha ha....I got one at Best Buy that has 16GB for $10.

And you probably pull over and ask people for directions too!

The materials are what corporate decides to put. Rent a 500 in Europe and it'll be the same. It has nothing to do with it being built in Mexico.

Are you going to say the same thing when Audi starts buidling cars in Mexico?

Maybe he will and then again, possibly he will not. He may find a Mexican built Fiat could be quite different from an Italian Fiat if you consider a German made Jetta/Golf compared to a Mexican built Jetta. Then again, Audi may decide to keep the content the same, in which case there wouldn't be a difference. We won't really know until we see what Audi opts for and is looking for. You could be right, but, then again, you could be wrong.

• robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 7,600
    if you consider a German made Jetta/Golf compared to a Mexican built Jetta.

FYI - no such thing as a German made Jetta - Mexico, China or India only.
  • tyguytyguy ColoradoPosts: 800
    Well, it just happens that I've driven both European and US 500s. There is a difference. The Euro version is pretty tight, but the three US versions had rattles and squeeks galore. Did I ever mention the dirty hand prints all over my Mexican built tan Dodge Journey interior? At 80,000 miles I was still finding them lurking in recesses I typically didn't access.

Fundamentally I agree with the logic, though, but it doesn't change the fact that a Mexican built Chrysler FIAT features cheap materials.
  • tyguytyguy ColoradoPosts: 800
    My Jetta wagon was made in Germany, but that was a MKIV.
  • jipsterjipster Posts: 5,345

And you probably pull over and ask people for directions too!

While I look forward to, and enjoy, reading the owners manual to new vehicles I've bought... reading manuals for computers, cameras, partical accelerators, is something I try to avoid. :sick:

Cold weather hampering mpg a bit in Civic. Combined mpg has been around 39-41mpg. But, I have been driving a bit faster as well.

If I decide to buy car at end of lease, is that something Honda will finance at a special rate?

Also, what ever happened to snake, jmonroe, and richard?

Saw this sign on expressway today, "Keep driving safe. 42 days since last fatal accident." Uhh, where's the nearest exit... cause I'm wanting off this thing.

Using driver logic, yes there is....only it is called a Bora or a Sagitar

2012 VW Bora;

May not be exactly the same car, but it is a German made Jetta depending on how you define Jetta????????

Also, what ever happened to snake, jmonroe, and richard?

I was wondering the same............

Snake is probably busy getting ready for income tax season
    Monroe probably has an engineering project to work on, or is waxing his car
    Richard - he probably accidentally pulled a few wires out of his computer and can't get it running again...........

• robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 7,600
    edited December 2012
    May not be exactly the same car, but it is a German made Jetta depending on how you define Jetta????????

AFAIK, the Jetta you show - the MK V - was never made in Germany. Mexico, China, India, South Africa, India, Russia and Algeria were/are the assembly locations.

Further you are comparing the new Jetta (A6) and the old Jetta (MK V). In reality, they are two different cars - they aren't the same chassis.

If name is the important thing to you, let's compare the:

US Fusion:

and the Euro Fusion:

• stickguystickguy Posts: 13,585
    Richard is probably swamped getting the mansion ready for the holiday home tour show.

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (when daughter lets me see it), 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again), and new Jetta SE (son's first new car on his own dime!)

Further you are comparing the new Jetta (A6) and the old Jetta (MK V). In reality, they are two different cars - they aren't the same chassis.

If name is the important thing to you, let's compare the:

I say, a rose is a rose is a rose.......a rose by any other name.

if you consider a German made Jetta/Golf compared to a Mexican built Jetta.

It is my understanding, and correct me if I am wrong, (and I am sure you will), but before being produced in Mexico, the Jetta was made in Germany for the North American market.

I don't know about A6s and MK Vs, there's a lot more going on in my life than keeping track of what names VW puts on their cars.
    btw, they choose names that pertain to winds, Jetta, Bora, Passat are all winds.....seems to be some of that going on around here these days.

Richard is probably swamped getting the mansion ready for the holiday home tour show

lol...............but, for 6 weeks though!