Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Stories from the Sales Frontlines

Comments

• andres3andres3 CAPosts: 5,325
    The list is life though, and if you make the worst list, you are dead.

I'm shocked the Neon doesn't make more "worst" lists. I suppose if not for the abysmal reliability, it actually would have made a decent car.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,614
    edited January 2013
    You confirm my point. There are many worse than are on the 'list'.
  • sandman_6472sandman_6472 Coral Springs, FLPosts: 2,626
    edited January 2013
    Our GE side by side is over 24 years old, compressor went in the one that came with the house in '87 and fil got them to give us a new one a year later. Door broke once and ice maker went out 5 months ago...price to fix was crazy so found some old ice cube trays, they work great! Waiting for it or the stove to go so we can replace both together. But it works well otherwise so will bide our time. Have a contract on the house so they will fix what is fixable. Already did the dishwasher 4 years ago so will go with black eventually so all can match.

Will probably get Whirlpool so everything can match or maybe Kenmore. Don't plan on doing any other kitchen work, though really needed as we might sell once middle kid finishes pharmacy school. And anyone who buys our shack will demo everything anyways as except kids bathroom...all is original. Nice house/nice community/own it outright for years but will probably downsize down the road...I want to leave South Florida!!

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

Got a bit friendly with the contract company repair guy...he recommended most brands except foreign ones for a new fridge...he said the major brands are just put together better and have the least amount of problems.

2014 Hyundai Tuscon SE/2005 Mazda 3s/2008 Hyundai Accent GLS/2009 Nissan Versa SL hatch

• sterlingdogsterlingdog North CarolinaPosts: 6,888
    edited January 2013
    "...you at least have to ASK."

Absolutley. On our recent house purchase, I went in at 25% below asking. The agent was balking about presenting the offer. I told her that she legally had to make the offer whether she wanted to or not. I knew that the seller wouldn't accept the offer, but I also knew that he had the option to counter. He did. I got the house at 20% below asking price. As we often say here, "If you don't ask, you don't get."

As you know, I've always done this with cars. Though a grinder, I try to remain flexible and leave the dealer some room to make a profit. As for fixed pricing, that's fine with me. I would just do some homework and, if the price was fair, I would go with the fixed price dealer. It certainly would save a lot of time. Then again, time is something that I have these days. ;)

Richard
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 18,045
    On our home purchase in 85 or so, the real estate agent said something about not insulting them with an offer that was too low. What did I care about insulting someone I didn't know? It was not her place.

When I sold the house near Cincinnati, a real estate agent was the first to offer to buy with a very low offer--insulting me as she was trying to snatch up a low deal if someone was just anxious to sell and move on rather than wait.
  • graphicguygraphicguy SW OhioPosts: 7,099
    edited January 2013
    imid....my last real estate agent said the same thing to me...."Don't insult the seller with such a low offer." Really? As I told her, "tell the seller not to insult me for asking way over what it's worth to begin with."

Needless to say, I didn't buy that house, nor did I use that real estate agent ever again.

On the foreign vs domestic fridge....I long ago quit that "made in America" fight....on anything. Issue is, nothing is totally made here. Compressors come from overseas to begin with, for example.

Could be wrong on this but I look at the material quality of....oh....let's say a Samsung, vs my previous Maytag, the Samsung's steel is heavier, the doors line up, the handles are solid metal (vs some sort of plastic on the Maytag).

Is it really true that Whirlpool, Maytag, Kenmore (BTW....Kenmore's "Elite" brand is made by LG) really is better? Not from what I can tell.
  • tjc78tjc78 JerseyPosts: 5,025
    Is it really true that Whirlpool, Maytag, Kenmore (BTW....Kenmore's "Elite" brand is made by LG) really is better? Not from what I can tell.

Honestly, IMHO all the appliances today are pretty much garbage. Yes, they perform well and are efficient but build quality is spotty at best.

As for Kenmore, most of their fridges are LG, DW's, washers and dryers are whirlpool, and ranges are Frigidaire (which is owned by Electrolux).

I have a whole kitchen of Kenmore, and am hoping for the best. The less than 2 year fridge has already had the ice maker stop working (luckily a reset appears to have fixed it) and it's noiser than the almost 30 year old Kenmore fridge in the basement.

1999 Chevy S10 / 2004 Merc Grand Marquis / 2012 Buick LaCrosse

• driver100driver100 Burlington, ON 7 mo/Tampa FL 5 moPosts: 11,677
    I would just do some homework and, if the price was fair, I would go with the fixed price dealer.

Me too! I was talking to two guys at the pool (not trying to rub it in, just stating a fact) yesterday and they were talking about their car buying experiences.

Both thought car salespeople were not honest and they hated the whole experience of buying a car....actually dreaded having to buy a new car. These are fairly knowledgeable people, who just do not have any idea how the game is played....and they have no idea how to arrive at a fair price. I am sure both would prefer a "no haggle dealer" if they found they could trust the dealership.

2012 535ix 2013 Audi A4 2013 Passat

Thanks for the car show post, kyfdx! :)
  • isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 17,593
    The trouble with making a ridiculous offer on a house (or car) is the fact that people do get insulted and will often assume the "buyer" isn't serious.

I know a lot of sellers would do as we once did. Have our agent counter at full price.

Last summer we had a Garage Sale. We had some people offer 2.00 on a 20.00 item and I just blew them off.

I did this to one nasty woman and five minutes later I GAVE that item to
    a nice young couple who looked like they were struggling.

The nasty woman watched as I did this and the look on her face was priceless!
    The trouble with making a ridiculous offer on a house (or car) is the fact that people do get insulted and will often assume the "buyer" isn't serious.

Good point and a good story about the woman offering $2 for a $20 item.

When we were selling our house (2 houses ago), an offer came in at an "insulting" 25% below asking price. I was going to tell the agent to tell the people offering to get lost.

I jokingingly said we would come down about 2% from asking price. They then came right up to 4% below ask. So, you never know, shouldn't write anyone off until you really know.

Afterwards thought, they were nice people, just wanted to try a low price just in case....might as well try a lowball price.

• andres3andres3 CAPosts: 5,325
    I wouldn't consider 25% below asking price insulting in any manner shape, or form, unless the asking price was really already low (offers coming in fast and quick daily would prove it was low priced).

If a seller felt insulted, that's their loss to not take an offer seriously.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 17,593
    We are on house number six now and after selling five houses we have seen all kinds of offers.

We have always tried to price our houses fairly and according to the market so we have been fairly firm. I think one time it took about six weeks for a house to sell and that was the slowest to sell.

If we had been offered 25% below our fair listing price I would have countered with full price back at them. THAT would be an insulting offer.
    I wouldn't consider 25% below asking price insulting in any manner shape, or form, unless the asking price was really already low

Asking price was very realistic. 25% below $100,000 isn't too bad. 25% below $500K, gets to be insulting ($375K). I went down to $490K to show I wasn't budging much...he came in at $480 right away, and that was realistic.

Deal made, even though the first offer almost made me think they weren't serious. Some people like to test, just in case..........

If we had been offered 25% below our fair listing price I would have countered with full price back at them. THAT would be an insulting offer.

That was my first thought too! But, I thought , it is a long shot, but, at least if I come down a little bit, it shows I am leaving the door open. Telling the possible buyer to get lost would probably close things down right there. Hard to get anything going after that.

Old adage still holds true, a house, a car, and yes even appliances are worth what someone else is willing to pay.
    a house, a car, and yes even appliances are worth what someone else is willing to pay.

True, but, I have also seen people lose a good house, like maybe a $300K house over $10K to make a point. If the house was a good one that the people would have loved living in......then $10K over 20 or 30 years is not a big deal. The house will usually go up more than that in value anyway.

Similarly, not buying a car someone may keep for 5 years because they want to save $200 might not be the wisest decision. $200 over 5 years is $40 a year. Some people can try to be too cheap!

driver....just like buying a car, people fall in love with houses. Nothing wrong with that. It's not a matter of say, a $10K delta between the asking price and what your budget can support. It's more a matter of a year or so down the road when the basement leaks, or the water heater blows, or the roof leaks, etc. All that love goes right out the window (as does the $10K you paid that you didn't have to).

I have a business colleague in CA who was all hot to trot on a condo in downtown San Jose. It was quaint. Had all the "hipness" that goes along with living in the Bay Area, while also living in an upscale 'burb.

This was somewhere around 2006-7. She fell in love with it. Made an offer at list on the spot (because the real estate agent told her the owners would be insulted by anything less than asking price). It was 800 sq ft that she paid north of $400K for (no, that's not a type).

That love lasted until the first few payments were made. Then, the financial reality of living in what amounts to be a smallish apartment for an astronomical payment.

We all know what happened in '08. She's now underwater with no way out for another decade, at least. She now hates her place, with no real way to get out from underneath it.

Same with cars. And, I've made bad deals in the past. A long time ago, I told a story here about buying a Nissan Z car, which I was in love with, from someone I knew. Needless to say, that "love" wears off quickly, and becomes a burden. If you overpay, it will linger for awhile, too.
    Since we've been talking about refrigerators, I'll throw in my two cents. When we purchased this house last June, we noticed that it came with a Kitchen
    Aid industrial sized refrigerator made into the wall with cabinet covers. All of the appliances here are hidden inside cabinets---never had that design before. At any rate, it's a monster and , for our first Christmas ever, the refrigerator easily held all of the left overs from dinner.

I hadn't given any thought as to how much it must have cost, but was shocked when it was revealed to me. We had the gas counter top stove switched out for an electric one---wife hates cooking with gas. When the appliance guy came to install the new stove, he noticed the refrigerator behind the cabinet doors. He stated that we had better hope that the refrigerator lasted many, many years. When I asked him why, he said that those models cost around $8,000. I didn't believe it, though I said nothing. After he left, I did some research. They actually do cost between $7,000 and $8,000. I nearly flipped. He was right. I really do hope that the refrigerator holds out for many, many years!

Richard
    Why do you want to leave South Florida? I thought that everyone with a gray hair wanted to move to Florida.

Richard
This discussion has been closed.