Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Stories from the Sales Frontlines

Comments

• sandman_6472sandman_6472 Coral Springs, FLPosts: 2,578
    edited January 2013
    Hopefully newer cars will do better than this. I only drive about 1300 miles/yr and don't use the car daily but so far, so good. I change the oil once a year no matter what and get it up to speed on the expressway once a month now. But it's a Honda so I think I should be o k. It's only 6.5 years old right now so I should have no problem keeping it for another 5 to 6 years. It's a great car for my needs and I really do not want to buy a new car no matter how much I dream of a C Class or 3 Series. It just doesn't make any sense at all at this point in my life.

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2014 Hyundai Tuscon SE/2005 Mazda 3s/2008 Hyundai Accent GLS/2009 Nissan Versa SL hatch

• michaellmichaell Posts: 4,300
    We grew up in the same neck of the woods.

Me- San Pedro

You?

Up the coast in Oxnard. My folks and my son still live there.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 17,355
    Gotcha! we have close frinds n Ventura.
  • kevinc5kevinc5 Posts: 204
    I hope he had an extended warranty.
  • driver100driver100 Burlington, ON 7 mo/Tampa FL 5 moPosts: 11,327
    I wonder what the maintenance schedule was like? Any reconditioning?

I believe the car had one major restoration. This is what the company said that restored the car:

Quite a number of years ago, Mr. Swift commissioned us to remove the body from the frame, send the engine to his long time friend Frank Cooke for reconditioning, and restore the frame, body, and interior to its original color, two-tone green combination with gold leaf striping and initials.

That seems to be the only major work done on the car.

2012 535ix 2013 Audi A4 2013 Passat

I hope he had an extended warranty.

lol...........but at least he won't be posting in chronic car buyers anonymous!

I was 100 times more impressed with the 770,000 miles on an old Prelude sitting in the Honda Showroom in a San Diego Honda "new car" dealership.

Yeh, well, I'd be 1000 times more impressed with 770,000 miles on an old Neon, if they could find one that had lasted that long. :P

• andres3andres3 CAPosts: 5,284
    Yeh, well, I'd be 1000 times more impressed with 770,000 miles on an old Neon, if they could find one that had lasted that long.

Psshhh.... I don't think the combined resources and riches of Bill Gates AND Donald Trump could afford to keep a Neon running to 770,000 miles, even in a vacuum. ;)

They'd have to be bailed out running that experiment, just like the manufacturer has been twice already.

Speaking of which, the first time I bought a new car at the end of 2002, getting internet quotes was pretty much a game of getting quoted sticker price on everything. In the spring of 2006 it was more useful, as I'd get real "fair" prices going with internet/emailed quotes.
  • murphydogmurphydog Posts: 491
    edited January 2013
    Hey Sandman -

for what is is worth - I ride to work in a vanpool and only drive my car a few times a week - I put 4,000 miles on it last year and I fill the take every ~ 3 weeks or so...

Here is the best part tho - it is a C class that wife bought approved for my 40th birthday. Every time I fire it up and head out of the garage I have a big smile on my face!

Life is short, enjoy the heck out of it!
  • sandman_6472sandman_6472 Coral Springs, FLPosts: 2,578
    I agree but she'd go ballistic on me and say that I was crazy. Funny thing is, I've got a bit saved $ that I keep adding to so when i do purchase my next, and last, vehicle, I can do better than econocar. I'd have no problem buying a "pre-owned" C Class or 3 Series. And really, after I park it in the garage, I think she'd get used to it...and try to use it. Luckily, they opened the newest MB dealer right up the street, next to the VW & Audi dealer. By 2017, my target date, the last kid will be done with pharmacy school and she'll be retiring so my plan could come to fruition! :)

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2014 Hyundai Tuscon SE/2005 Mazda 3s/2008 Hyundai Accent GLS/2009 Nissan Versa SL hatch

• laurasdadalaurasdada Posts: 2,487
    Hi, NYC: UConn is a fine skool! Both my bruther and me is prowd graditates!

He, along with all my friends and fellow alumni, are quite successful in their chosen fields. Me? My UConn degree has allowed me to post such witticisms as this on Edmunds message boards when not changing the grease, I mean oil, in the fryolator. Not that there's anything wrong with that... Liberal Arts major, D'OH!

My daughter is 17, has already been early accepted at a couple of schools. I was hoping she'd be interested in UConn, I was going to send her to live with my friends in Wilton to establish residency. Alas, being a Husky was not on her list.

If one chooses to go to one of the fine New England state U's, none finer than the one in beautiful Storrs, Ct. If for nothing else, the Dairy Bar!

'13 Jaguar XF, '11 BMW 535xi, '02 Lexus RX300

• nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,109
    Ha! Thanks for the heads up!

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

Mr Grumpy has found something else he doesn't like. Buy one - get the 2nd one for 50% off.
    I went to the outlet mall and bought some Addidas running shoes for $70. Then, I had to make use of getting the 2nd pair for 50% off. Well, I didn't really need a 2nd pair but I found some that were $40 tegular, so I got them for $20. Not bad, but I did end up with a 2nd pair I don't really need.

It's much worse when we go to the grocery store...where they all started doing these. For example, if you buy a pre-made salad for $4 you get the extra one free or for 50% off. What if I can only eat one salad, or lettuce, or pepper?

It is clever marketing, I figure the retailer is making his full profit on the first item, and the second item he is selling at cost. Basically, I would just prefer to get 25% off or something like that.....I don't want to encourage this. It could lead to buy a 535, and get an 135 for 50% off!

• tjc78tjc78 JerseyPosts: 5,023
    It's just a percentage off sale, that in turn makes the average sale higher. Quite common. They suckered you in to spending more money. The retailer cost averages between the two items and probably end up at a 30 gross instead of the usual 50/60. Good for them (and good for you if you really wanted 2!). Not so much if you wanted a good deal on one.

1999 Chevy S10 / 2004 Merc Grand Marquis / 2012 Buick LaCrosse

• houdini1houdini1 Kansas City areaPosts: 5,774
    edited January 2013
    Speaking of percentages, here is one of my favorite riddles:

Three men spend the night in a hotel. The desk clerk charges them $30. for the room. Later he discovers that he has overcharged them by $5. so he gives the bellhop $5. and tells him to give it to the 3 men.

He gives the men the $5. and they give him back a $2. tip. So, in effect the men have paid $9. each, or $27. for the room. The bellhop has $2., for a total of $29. Since they had originally paid $30., what happened to that last dollar???

If you have a mathematical mind you can figure this out pretty quickly. If you don't, like me, you can struggle for a long time !

And don't ask what 3 men were doing in the same room !!

2013 LX 570 2010 LS 460

• michaellmichaell Posts: 4,300
    I'd have no problem buying a "pre-owned" C Class or 3 Series. And really, after I park it in the garage, I think she'd get used to it...and try to use it. Luckily, they opened the newest MB dealer right up the street, next to the VW & Audi dealer. By 2017, my target date, the last kid will be done with pharmacy school and she'll be retiring so my plan could come to fruition!

By 2017, you could probably find an off-lease CLA sedan - this is a new model introduced by MB that is smaller than the C-class.
  • sterlingdogsterlingdog North CarolinaPosts: 6,752
    "We went in May, so it wasn't too warm..."

Michaell, I would suggest a visit to North Carolina in July if possible. That's as hot as it gets, which can be pretty hot these days. You could deal with the cold weather easily. We do have the four seasons which is really nice.

Richard
  • graphicguygraphicguy SW OhioPosts: 6,896
    Another vote here for Temurpedic. They aren't cheap, but they do give a great night's sleep. Previously had a SleepNumber. Won't make that mistake again. It never would hold the same "number" in the air chambers from one night to the next. They kept replacing parts to make it "work". Finally, I gave up and wanted to return it under their "try it for 90 days" promise. By the time I made my request to return for a refund, the store I bought it from said I was past the 90 days. Well, yeah....they took 60 days to try to "fix" it. I fought with them for 6 months and finally prevailed. Never again, though.

Costa Rica....great place. I used to go down there quite a bit for work when we were doing business with a computer company called Alienware (since bought up by Dell). They had their training HQ in Costa Rica. Inexpensive and the people were terrific. Rain forrest is a sight to behold. I'd live there given the chance.

Talking about buying without knowing the asking price, I was at the Consumer Electronics Show in Vegas a couple of weeks ago. Anyone who's attended these large conferences is used to seeing booths with the high end massage chairs. CES is so big, I think there were actually 3 booths hawking those message chairs. These aren't the ones you find at Brookstone. These are allegedly a couple of steps above those chairs.

They demo these chairs in the hopes that you'll plunk down $4k-$5k large and have one delivered to your home. I don't know the commission on these, but it must be pretty good given they have to haul the chairs to these venues, pay for hotel rooms for a week, in addition to paying for booth space, which isn't cheap.

Anyway, after walking the show floor for about 6 hours the first day, I plopped into one of these chairs for a 10 minute massage demo. These chairs do everything but make you a cup of coffee.

When the massage was done, I asked the booth person how much they cost. He went into this diatribe about how you can't put a price on your health, how your well being is worth more than money, etc. Then came..."just give me your credit card and the chair will be delivered by the time you arrive home."

I still didn't know the price. When I pressed him, he went into stupid mode. Why does the only thing people care about is dollars?

Me....."well, unless you want me to pay you in Carp, I need to know the cost in dollars."

I didn't spend any more time with this guy or the booth. I did talk to one of the other people getting a demo to find out how much the chairs really cost. I can get a lot of professional massages from a licensed massage therapist for $5,000.
  • sterlingdogsterlingdog North CarolinaPosts: 6,752
    "Any recommendations would be appreciated."

We buy Restonic mattresses. There is a reason for doing so. Their factory is 45 minutes from here. They allow us to select the coils, fabrics, and thickness that we want. We use high mattresses for our antique beds. Since they are custom done, I can't speak to the quality of those in the stores. We have owned Bemco mattresses and found them to be quite good.

I would never, ever buy a product from a company that tries to frighten you into a purchase. As for dust mites and dry skin, it's part of life. If you wash the sheets, mattress pads and turn the mattresses regularly, you'll be fine.

Richard
  • tjc78tjc78 JerseyPosts: 5,023
    They paid $28.00 for the room or 9.33333333333333333333 each!

1999 Chevy S10 / 2004 Merc Grand Marquis / 2012 Buick LaCrosse