Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Stories from the Sales Frontlines

Comments

• kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 27,652
    If you buy an American racquet, you can save money on all those extra letters... It's a real labor saver (just saved another U).

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,284
    edited January 2013
    I supplied my BMW insider with the VIN of the 1er I was looking at, and the news was not good. It turns out that the car is a SULEV(SUper Low Emissions Vehicle)- which means that when things break the repairs can be much more expensive. He did note that it was really well optioned for a 128i, but he didn't recommend it.
    No big deal; I don't need a car so I'll just keep looking. If I keep the Mazda it will need new front struts, but a friend who know Mazdas has offered to do the install for free, meaning I can put Bilstein Sports at all four corners along with new mounts and strut bearings for less than what a dealer would charge to R&R the OEM front struts alone.
    Looking at BMWs, the only cars that really get me excited are the 1 Series M Coupe and the Z4 M Coupe or possibly the E92 M3(even though I still find it a bit too porky). Everything else is too big and/or too soft.
    I guess that's why I like my '02 and am attracted to the Abarth. Light, small, nimble, and possessed of a a real personality- as opposed to the over 3000 pound anesthetized boats virtually every manufacturer seems intent on building. Clarkson says the Abarth reminds him of the Mk I GTI and I think he nailed it.

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

• sterlingdogsterlingdog North CarolinaPosts: 6,888
    "They even have wheel chair matches..."

Egad! You shamed me---and I deserved it. You know that I'm glad that you enjoy the tennis and are fit enough to play.

Richard
  • sterlingdogsterlingdog North CarolinaPosts: 6,888
    Don't over do it with that knee. I don't want you to suffer more as you get older. My wife was MVP basketball and MVP tennis. She injured her knee, but wouldn't quit playing. In later years she has paid the price.

Richard
  • driver100driver100 Burlington, ON 7 mo/Tampa FL 5 moPosts: 11,683
    If you buy an American racquet, you can save money on all those extra letters...

You can save another letter by using "racket".

I happen to play with a Babalot which is made in France, so it is a "racquette".

2012 535ix 2013 Audi A4 2013 Passat

"They even have wheel chair matches..."

This video shows a wheelchair tennis game.
    Wheelchair tennis 2 1/2 minutes

We have friends who are both in wheelchairs. They have a winter place in Florida. She is a recently retired doctor, he is a financial planner. They meet us at restaurants or at home. He worked on fixing up their Florida home. He does a lot of volunteer work. Sometimes they drive to Florida in their special van (talking about cars they have to be careful where they park, and often some dope will park in the spot next to their loading door - even though there is a sign). Sometimes they fly down, together or separately - can you imagine the logistics.

One reason they love Florida is they can get around and most buildings have to be made so they are wheelchair accessable.

These people are truly an inspiration. When I hear someone say life isn't fair, or why can't I get a decent job (be given), I just have to think of this couple. They could feel sorry for themselves and collect disability payments, but they just keep going.

Incidentally they adopted and raised two children as well.

I happen to play with a Babalot which is made in France, so it is a "racquette".

I know, I am replying to myself, but, I just realized a Babalot is French, so I guess I like the European feel of la racquette....related to the European feel of the road. Guess it has the Euro firmir handling and cornering ability.

• graphicguygraphicguy SW OhioPosts: 7,099
    Thanks for the vid.

Interesting thing about that video, I think if you put those same cars on a different road, the ratings would be different.

Kind of surprised they didn't include the Audi (S4), as I think it would have won that competion.

That said, I do agree that based on the 2012 loaner 3 series (F30) I drove, the previous generation (E90) does drive better. No doubt that BMW is making the 3 softer. As importantly, the new 3 series has really gone a couple of steps backwards with the "premium feel". There are times the new 3 feels like a 7 year old Hyundai Accent with the sounds it makes.

I have no doubt that BMW will fix that. But, it's quite disappointing in a $50K car to have that sort of buggaboo.

Haven't driven the ATS. Matter of fact, I haven't even seen one. So, can't comment, other than to say it's amazing that the CUE system made it into a production vehicle. Mentioned before, Bob Lutz in his book said he'd squashed a similar system that was being developed for the same reasons the reviewer stated while he was at GM. Apparently, once Lutz was gone, they reinstituted it and fast tracked it to the Cadillac (to dismal results, as predicted).

My GF looked at the C350 and actually went on a couple of test drives in one. Not bad, but I think if you want something that is sporty, Benz isn't where you'll end up. Plus, as the reviewer states, the tech seems unintuitive.

Before I bought my 335i, I test drove a CTS coupe. Not a bad car. But, GM cars all have that certain "GM FEEL". Can't explain it. Even driving my previous Tahoe, there were certain similarities between it and other GM cars I'd driven, regardless of the GM brand. Good for an SUV or a truck. Not so much for a car.

Granted, I've only driven Buick, Chevy and even Caddy rental cars. But, they all felt at least a little bit similar to my Tahoe...just in car form.
  • houdini1houdini1 Kansas City areaPosts: 5,862
    You owe me a new keyboard !! :)

2013 LX 570 2010 LS 460 2002 Tacoma 4x4

Don't worry tyguy. A friend of mine had both knees replaced 13 years ago and he beats me regularly on the golf course.

• verdugoverdugo Posts: 1,987
    I really appreciate it. I will get quotes for the following brands:

Marvin
    Pella (Lowe's and local)
    Andersen
    Milgard
    Simonton (HD and local)

I want to go with a local company, but will use the big box stores as reality check on prices. Now I just need to find time to get all of these appointment/store visits done. I'll keep you posted.
    I have always heard that occasionally the better golfer does not win the match because in golf, there are quite a few variables (including luck) involved that the golfer does not control.

Supposedly, in tennis, the better player nearly always wins.

I once played golf with a fellow who had to use two crutches to walk. Somehow he was able to drop one crutch, brace himself with only one, and make a pretty good swing. He had a pretty good game and was able to keep up without complaint, etc.

He played all 18 holes. I can't imagine how exhausted he must have been on what was a very hot day in Texas...but he never complained.

That's why I use a raket.

• stickguystickguy Posts: 14,163
    I played a few times with my BIL and one of his friends. The Friend has 1 arm and 1 leg (well, he has 2 of each, just that only one was "standard equipment".

He actually plays fine. really just swings with one arm, using the prosthetic one to stabilize the club before his backswing.

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (when daughter lets me see it), 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again), and new Jetta SE (son's first new car on his own dime!)

• tyguytyguy ColoradoPosts: 804
    Train tracks have ruined many a biker. When I was much younger my dad and I were cycling the streets of San Francisco side by side, when we came across a gorgeous woman walking the opposite direction. My dad became a little distracted and didn't notice the tracks ahead crossing our path at 30 degrees. So, he puts his skinny tires right into the track groove, loses balance, and falls over on ME! I pitch over and we both tumble into the sidewalk....right in front of said woman. A little sympathy from an attractive member of the opposite sex soothed our bruised egos. :blush:

I'm thinking the longer I put off an artificial knee the better the technology will become. That's one of the strategies of my surgeon. Minimal invasion until absolutely necessary, and make that first joint last as long as possible.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 18,046
    >longer I put off an artificial knee the better the technology will become. That's one of the strategies of my surgeon. Minimal invasion until absolutely necessary, and make that first joint last as long as possible.

How's the other knee? Maybe you can get a 2-for-one special. The surgeon here has the double transplants scheduled first in the mornings--they get priority.
    guiding the walker with one hand and the tennis racket with the other

I am still chuckling over your "shameful" remark. I can just see driver flailing around, racket in one hand, walker in the other.

A well aimed shot could knock the walker out of a competitor's hand. I wonder if there would be a way to wind racket strings around the walker legs in order to counteract this tactic?

I think if you put those same cars on a different road, the ratings would be different.

I would agree with the points you made. Fun to drive is important on my list, but, that navi system would drive me crazy. I used the BMW one today, and it is so easy I can do it. Even gives you variations, fastest route, most economical route, shortest, non-highway, and scenic. And then the USB music is all easy to operate. Add the small back seat and really tiny trunk and that would eliminate the ATS pretty quickly.

We weren't too impressed when we test drove the 2013 328. Even the 335 was just acceptable. BMW has given up on the enthusiasts in favor of selling more cars. It will be interesting to see if Cadillac can actually win a place in that market, by being what a bmw used to be.

That was one thing I liked about the Audi immediately. The salesman said Audi's largest market is still Europe, while MB and bmw's are the US. So, Audi is still made to European tastes....however, that could change.

I think they wanted to compare an S8 but it wasn't ready at the time. I think that is the one that would appeal to me.

• tyguytyguy ColoradoPosts: 804
    I genuinely appreciate the concern, Richard. In March I went though my fourth knee surgery, and the operating surgeon was someone I had used for my third surgery a few years prior. He was able to track degradation between the episodes, and unfortunately the news was grim. I went through a bout of depression realizing that many, well, most of the activities I enjoyed were out. No cutting, no accelerating, no fast stops on my legs. Minimal impact only. Period. I struggled for months leading up to the surgery and then another month afterwards.

At that point I'd had enough of feeling sorry for myself and decided to do something about it. As soon as the physical therapist gave me the thumbs up to do so, I hit the mountains on a bike, and it felt GREAT. Suddenly I was enjoying something athletic that made me feel good without knee pain. I still had to be careful walking around as a little twist of the knee would cause a dislocation and shooting pain.

Fast forward to today after a summer/fall of road and mountain biking, and my legs are significantly stronger, my cardiovascular health is improving, and I'm spending the winter on an indoor spinner, stair climber, and elliptical machine. There's no pain when walking and the muscles are keeping the joint supported.

So, we'll see how long the joint lasts. Right now I feel good enough to drive a manual transmission again (keeping on topic just a little)
This discussion has been closed.