Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Stories from the Sales Frontlines

Comments

• driver100driver100 Burlington, ON 7 mo/Tampa FL 5 moPosts: 11,327
    Try candlepin -popular here in New England

OK, I give up, what is candlepin or duckpin?

In Canada bowling is played with 5 smaller pins and a much smaller ball, about the size of a softball. I think you have to get the far left pin to get points, and the pins have different values. I find 10 pin is better, and is even more popular now in Canada. But candlepin or duckpin...I don't know.

2012 535ix 2013 Audi A4 2013 Passat

• verdugoverdugo Posts: 1,977
    We have a dodge dealer in town that would skin Lee Iacocca on a purchase.

LOL That was funny.
  • robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 7,601
    edited January 2013
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,111
    I've done that candlepin bowling once and can't stand it! In my part of (WAY) Southern New England, they still have "normal" bowling:)

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

• Well, your userID suggests that that's what you do. I'm not sure what you're looking for here, but most members in this discussion are experienced, savvy car buyers, and aren't likely to recommend such services - someone pays the professional negotiator, so whatever that fee is is $X more than the consumer could have paid himself by making his best deal.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,111
    I wouldn't even entertain the thought of using a "professional" car negotiator. Just do some research & have a lot of patience.

I recently helped a friend lease a 2013 VW Tiguan SE w/ Sunroof & Navigation. I was able to negotiate a selling price that was basically invoice minus hold back. I got her the base money factor too. How much better could a "profesional" have done?

I did everything via email and didn't set foot in the dealership until it was time to take delivery of the car.

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

Google is your friend:

Why didn't I think of that? I had no idea there would be these variations on the game of bowling. Makes it difficult if you are an avid bowler and you move to one of these areas. I think it would be simpler, if we all just played the same game. Then we would be comparing our ducks to ducks and candles to candles and we could all know what our real scores are.

but most members in this discussion are experienced, savvy car buyers,

Yeh, and we can answer any problems about buying refrigerators, dishwashers, washer dryers, windows, motor oil, tires, dishwasher detergent, bowling, returning a watch to CVS, waxing your car, etc.

A fellow at tennis said he bought a 2006 Azera with 7000 miles on it, less than a year old. It totally broke down 8 times. Head office people looked at it and couldn't find the problem. He could have taken it to arbitration, but, the dealer said, just pick out a new Azera and we will trade you even.

When he went to look at the new model Azera he saw a Genesis. He loved it. The manager said he could have the Genesis instead, but he would have to pay the difference, a few thousand dollars. That is what he did and he loves the Genesis.

I was thinking JMonroe (wherever he is these days) should have brought his car down to Tampa, they sound a lot more reasonable down here.

• robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 7,601
    Makes it difficult if you are an avid bowler and you move to one of these areas.

All the candlepin alleys I've ever been to in New England always have some 10 pin lanes. They usually are pretty empty. It's a special treat when we bowl "big ball".
  • jipsterjipster Posts: 5,345
    Yeh, and we can answer any problems about buying refrigerators, dishwashers, washer dryers, windows, motor oil, tires, dishwasher detergent, bowling, returning a watch to CVS, waxing your car, etc.

Tennis anyone? What brand of raquet you play with driver? I've gotta Dunlop Biomimetic 200 Tour... which is a cousin to the raquet you see McEnroe busting up on the Champions Tour. I use it for singles. I use a Babolat Drive Z 110 for doubles, as the power is equal to that of a european sports car. I've been playing in a doubles league for roughly 8 years now, been top dawg for about the last 4. :blush:
  • sterlingdogsterlingdog North CarolinaPosts: 6,752
    "I can just see driver flailing around, racket in one hand, walker in the other."

There would be one advantage to this scenario. If Driver needed an extra tennis ball, he could just pull one from the four legs of the walker. :blush: :shades:

Richard
    I'm so proud of you for moving forward with the therapy and then getting back into your activities. Thinking positively often produces wonderful results.

Richard
    "...I have to say it in a nicer way or Richard will have to step in again."

You responded very diplomatically and i'm proud of you.

Richard
    Good gosh! After reading about your knee replacement experience, I think that I might just opt for a wheelchair. You truly went through months of pain. My neighbor back in Pinehurst had the full knee replacement. He swore that he would never have the other one done, no matter what. It's such a shame that modern medicine can't make the procedure more tolerable.

Richard
    "This VW ad is causing some controversy."

I wasn't thrilled with the ad. I didn't really find it funny; rather I found it pretty silly to tell you the truth. Neither did I find it car related, as is now the case with so many ads on television. You nearly have to guess at times what product is being sold.

Not wishing to appear overly sensitive, I did think about one thing. If the Caucasian in the ad had used the old Negro dialect (Amos and Andy come to mind) to be funny, the country would be up in arms. It's just my opinion, but I don't see much difference. I am glad that the company did their research and that the ethnic group in question is not offended.

Richard
    edited January 2013
    "...which uses a dialect more common to African Jamaicans/Bahamians than a Caucasian using that dialect."

You're absolutely correct. I agree. Perhaps it comes from my years in education, but I don't like to see ANY group mocked.

I've told this story here before, but I'll quickly repeat it. I was once in charge of a school assembly program. I thought that I was very fortunate to acquire the services of the president of a major drink manufacturer in this country. He was our guest speaker and his topic was "Being Successful in Your Chosen Career". The big day came. I chose my very best student to be the stage manager---lighting, sound, chairs, curtain, etc. The soft drink tycoon finally went to the podium to speak. As a warm up, he told two Polish jokes as humor. Suddenly from the audience, I saw the curtain close right in front of his face. I rushed back stage to ask Andy what had happened. He was furious. You see, he was Polish. I told Andy to cool off and take a seat. I called over the guest speaker and clearly explained what had happened. He did an immediate apology to Andy and the entire student body. The school principal later asked if perhaps we should take any disciplinary action against Andy for using poor judgment. My response was, "We should give him an award!"

Richard
    "Hey, it's a living language so is always changing."

While that may be true, you don't have to smother the life out of it. :P

"I want to be on the FORFRONT of change."

You might be better off on the floor board (keeping it car related). :D ;)

What did I ever do before you arrived here? :shades:

Richard
    "What does the board think about using professional car negotiators..."

Heavens no! With all of the available information to us now, why would one bother to pay extra for that service? Then again, you may just be asking the choir. Those of us here are very good negotiators as a rule. I'm sure that there are still plenty of lost souls who need help. BTW, how much do your charge? ;)

Richard
  • roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,019
    My best friend in college was a hyper-competitive athlete. We double dated quite a bit and if any competition was involved he always wanted the conditions to be loser pay all- pinball, bowling, miniature golf- whatever. I finally cleaned his plow when I began dating the BBR(Beautiful Bipolar Redhead). Unbeknownst to my friend, BBR was the University of Louisville intramural bowling champ two years in a row. My pal eventually suggested that we all go bowling and the rest is history... :P
    And as for BBR, we dated for three years and then broke up before we killed each other.
    But it was fun while it lasted.
    Mostly.

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica