Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Stories from the Sales Frontlines

Comments

• jmonroejmonroe Pittsburgh areaPosts: 5,540
    When he went to look at the new model Azera he saw a Genesis. He loved it. The manager said he could have the Genesis instead, but he would have to pay the difference, a few thousand dollars. That is what he did and he loves the Genesis.

I was thinking JMonroe (wherever he is these days) should have brought his car down to Tampa, they sound a lot more reasonable down here.

It’s a long story and not pleasant. My Delray Beach brother died a few weeks ago from complications to anti-rejection drugs that were prescribed after his heart transplant in December 2007. His heart was fine at the end…a couple of other body parts were not.

OK, now let me answer your question. How the hell was I going to get a car with a blown engine down to Florida? After the towing, I would have still lost.

While in Florida a few weeks ago, I noticed the prices of cars are pretty competitive down there. So much so, my nephew is thinking of turning in his leased daily beater, 2010 Camry basic stripper edition although it has A/C, in the Delray Beach area. His real car is a 2009 Infinity coupe. I don’t know a good lease deal from a bad one but he thinks the 2013 Camry come-on deal is very good. So, it’s a possibility if the deal is as good in the spring as it is now. He knows there is fine print to review but so far he’s in. My SIL likes the lease deals she has gotten on her two Genny’s. In 2011 she did an early lease turn-in of her ’09 Genny V6 when she got one of those “your used car is worth a fortune” mailings. She plans to get another one when her lease is up in the spring of 2014.

As for a pro doing your negotiating, Son #1 enjoys helping people get a good deal and has helped a few fellow workers and neighbors with buying their cars over the years. Last spring one of the women that he helped (he gathers the facts then tells them where to go, who to talk to and how to finalize the deal) comes over to his desk, lays down 2 Franklins and says “thanks, it worked. You saved me a lot of money”. He refused the money but settled for a lunch. When his mother heard the tale she said, “you shouldn’t have even accepted that. If you’re going to help someone you don’t take payment of any kind for doing it. I thought I raised you better than that”. :( All of this from a wife that told me to “be nice” about how I went about negotiating a better price on her ’06 Sonata trade, even if it would cost us a few more bucks, as we were driving to Ohio to get the Genny in March of ’09.

FWIW, Genny’s are a dime a dozen in Florida; at least they are in the Delray Beach area. I don’t think I saw less than two in any parking lot aisle I was in and I didn’t have to look hard to find those. Here in the Burgh area, they’re kinda elite beasts.

jmonroe

'09 Genesis V8 and '12 Legacy Limited 6 cyl

• nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,111
    I'm so sorry about the death of your brother.

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

• sterlingdogsterlingdog North CarolinaPosts: 6,752
    LOL! Didn't you love it when they called them "world champions"? I don't remember either team playing any other countries for the title. :D

Richard
  • sterlingdogsterlingdog North CarolinaPosts: 6,752
    I wondered if something was wrong. We had missed you. I'm very sorry to hear about your loss. His wife is very fortunate to have you as her BIL. I know that you will help her if she needs advice.

Richard
  • graphicguygraphicguy SW OhioPosts: 6,896
    roadburner....thanks for your review of the X1. Kind of, sort of, maybe at a different time, I might, perhaps, be interested in that vehicle somewhere down the line.

To segue your review, yesterday I took the GF's S4 to the dealer for what she says is a trans problem. She says it "revs" at the wrong time. It's a DSG. Tried to explain, it's revmatching when it's downshifting. But, the dealership's word will put an end to this conversation. Off to the dealer.

They gave me an A6 to drive while the checked it out. My 3 coupe is smaller than her S4. The A6 is a whole lot bigger than either. Same motor as the A6 (3.0 supercharged). But, it has an 8-speed auto trans vs the 7-speed DSG in the S4.

I've had loaner drives in an E90 (4 cyl) 3 Series and a test drive in a current 535ix (6 cyl) and also MB350 and C350, both 4Matics. This has been all in the last 18 months. So, some months have transpired, but I at least have some reference points.

A6 "feels" about a half second slower to 60 than the S4. But, it is very comfortable. The seats are comfy, but nowhere near sport seats to hold your posterior in while doing some sporty driving. IT feels lighter on its feet than either the 5 series or the E/C Benzes. It's amazingly tossable given its size.

As good as I think the interior/dash is in the S4, the A6 trumps it (as well as the 5 series and the Mercedii). Audi just knows how to do beautiful interiors.

The driving characteristics remind me a lot of my previous Acura TL SH AWD, only the A6 is faster.

Audi's implementation of "start/stop" is worlds better than what BMW has implemented. It's barely noticeable (matter of fact, I didn't know the A6 had the feature until I looked at the dash at a red light).

The doors close with a satisfying thunk, just like those on the S4. Both cars are very, very solid.

The A6 is easy to drive fast. Ride/handling bests my 335i (which up until now, I thought was ideal).

The tech (namely the MMI) is the same as in the GF's S4. Although, her stereo is better (B&O), the A6 had what I'll assume is a Bose system.

If I ever decide to move into that size of vehicle. the A6 will be on my short list.
    roadburner....thanks for your review of the X1. Kind of, sort of, maybe at a different time, I might, perhaps, be interested in that vehicle somewhere down the line.

To segue your review, yesterday I took the GF's S4 to the dealer for what she says is a trans problem. She says it "revs" at the wrong time. It's a DSG. Tried to explain, it's revmatching when it's downshifting. But, the dealership's word will put an end to this conversation. Off to the dealer.

They gave me an A6 to drive while the checked it out. My 3 coupe is smaller than her S4. The A6 is a whole lot bigger than either. Same motor as the A6 (3.0 supercharged). But, it has an 8-speed auto trans vs the 7-speed DSG in the S4.

I've had loaner drives in an E90 (4 cyl) 3 Series and a test drive in a current 535ix (6 cyl) and also MB350 and C350, both 4Matics. This has been all in the last 18 months. So, some months have transpired, but I at least have some reference points.

A6 "feels" about a half second slower to 60 than the S4. But, it is very comfortable. The seats are comfy, but nowhere near sport seats to hold your posterior in while doing some sporty driving. IT feels lighter on its feet than either the 5 series or the E/C Benzes. It's amazingly tossable given its size.

As good as I think the interior/dash is in the S4, the A6 trumps it (as well as the 5 series and the Mercedii). Audi just knows how to do beautiful interiors.

The driving characteristics remind me a lot of my previous Acura TL SH AWD, only the A6 is faster.

Audi's implementation of "start/stop" is worlds better than what BMW has implemented. It's barely noticeable (matter of fact, I didn't know the A6 had the feature until I looked at the dash at a red light).

The doors close with a satisfying thunk, just like those on the S4. Both cars are very, very solid.

The A6 is easy to drive fast. Ride/handling bests my 335i (which up until now, I thought was ideal).

The tech (namely the MMI) is the same as in the GF's S4. Although, her stereo is better (B&O), the A6 had what I'll assume is a Bose system.

If I ever decide to move into that size of vehicle. the A6 will be on my short list.
  • tifightertifighter WAPosts: 1,350
    GG - I don't recall, but what were your final thoughts on that TL? Did you like it, not like it, trade it out of boredom, etc?
  • verdugoverdugo Posts: 1,977
    I took the plunge and switched from DSL to FIOS Voice and Internet 15/5 Mbps download/upload speeds. But so far I am underwhelmed.

15/5 Mbps download/upload is not particularly fast, specially considering you have fiber. Do they offer faster speeds?

I have 50/20 Mbps from my cable company using coax cable.
    Sorry to hear about your brother.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,452
    jmonroe,
    Sorry about your brother, that has to be upsetting.
    Hopefully he was able to enjoy a good portion of his life after the transplant.
    Just shooting from the hip, but wasn't the first transplant done around 1967 or so? To me, it's amazing that it could even be done.
  • driver100driver100 Burlington, ON 7 mo/Tampa FL 5 moPosts: 11,327
    edited February 2013
    How the hell was I going to get a car with a blown engine down to Florida

Very sorry to hear that you lost your brother.........it must be very difficult losing a brother or sister.

-----------------------------------------------

There seems to be good deals on cars in Florida but I don't know if it is mostly hype. Like ads that show a very low price, but then the fine print says "with your $4000 trade in". To me, that is deceptive...why would you even do that.

Also, very high dealer prep costs in Florida...$600 or $700 is common. Some dealers don't charge dealer prep, but it probably gets added in somewhere...less discount. There are large volume dealers who do seem to have low prices.

There are more Gennies down here than most places. Retired people here like getting a car that is fully loaded at a reasonable price. This is the land of the Grand Marquis...lots of car for the $$$$$.

2012 535ix 2013 Audi A4 2013 Passat

• boomchekboomchek Vancouver, BC, CanadaPosts: 5,100
    Sorry to hear about your brother. We lost my wife's father just a few months ago and he was only 58. It's not easy. My condolences.

2007 BMW 328i Sports Pkg, 1993 Honda Accord EXR (my 33rd car).

• driver100driver100 Burlington, ON 7 mo/Tampa FL 5 moPosts: 11,327
    As good as I think the interior/dash is in the S4, the A6 trumps it

Nice review of the A6, enjoyed reading your thoughts about these cars. One reason they gave us a good deal on the A4 was they hoped when it was time for me to trade in the 535 they could convert me to an A6.

I have sat but not driven an A6 but I like the feeling of the 535 more. It's a very personal difference, the 535 seems to have bigger windows, better vision. Audi has nicer interior and seats. I would have to drive them both to really decide. But, the 5er is just one year old, so it might be awhile before I have to decide...maybe I'll test an ATS too!

2012 535ix 2013 Audi A4 2013 Passat

• abacomikeabacomike South FloridaPosts: 3,130
    It’s a long story and not pleasant...

Please accept my sincerest and heartfelt condolences re: you brother. Quite a shock, I would imagine. If you look at this tragedy from a slightly different perspective, the loss may be muted a bit - 25 years ago, if your brother had a the same condition, he would have had a very low chance of surviving 3 years - but because of modern miracles, you had your brother many more years. May The Lord bless you, your brother's family and his spirit!

FWIW, Genny’s are a dime a dozen in Florida; at least they are in the Delray Beach area. I don’t think I saw less than two in any parking lot aisle I was in and I didn’t have to look hard to find those. Here in the Burgh area, they’re kinda elite beasts.

Actually, the south Florida market is the largest market for Huyandi. Specifically, the Sonata and Genesis. I see more of them here than any other make, including Toyota, Volkswagon and Chevrolet.

2014 Mercedes Benz CLS 550 - best car ever! 2nd best car ever, my 1967 Corvette Stingray Coupe with 435 hp.

Last Wednesday, on my way to take Dad for our morning walk, I lost my balance and went down the concrete stairs head first. Ambulance took me to the emergency room and I was admitted with:

Torn rotator cuff of my right shoulder
    Protruded disc at L3/L4 vertebrae
    Bruised neck - left side
    Concussion on back/right side of head

The EMT's told me that I was lucky to be alive. So what little posting I did over the last week was done from a hospital bed. Yes, The Lord was with me that day, for sure!

Now I have to go for outpatient physical therapy. Sure is good to be home.

2014 Mercedes Benz CLS 550 - best car ever! 2nd best car ever, my 1967 Corvette Stingray Coupe with 435 hp.

• nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,111
    Oye! Mike! That's quite a spill you took. I wish you a speedy recovery & am glad you are OK.

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

Oh no, Mike. As bad as those injuries are, glad that, as the paramedic said, it wasn't worse.

Pretty impressive that we didn't even notice your posting volume go down.
    edited February 2013
    Pretty impressive that we didn't even notice your posting volume go down.

Now that's what I call a blow below the waist! Guess my posts aren't as interesting as the others.

I'll work hard to improve the quality of my post - I promise!

jmonroe...so sorry about your brother. My condolences.

ti....still feel the TL SH AWD is the best near lux sports sedan for the money. The Germans are better. But, you'll pay a significant amount to make that leap from the TL. Have said it before, I must be the only person on the planet that liked the TL's current styling. But, I do. It's getting a little long in the tooth. And, Acura is falling behind a bit on MPG and tech (which is really unusual for Acura). So, the new TL/RL can't come quick enough.

But, you drive a TL and then jump in a 3 series or Audi, and the differences are immediately apparent. But, in some instances, the TL is close to the BMW or Audi. In other areas, the differences are pretty significant. You pay for those, however.

driver...although we're talking about $50K+ cars in the 5 series or an A6, I think in that price range, they represent the very summit of "luxury sports sedan". A6 can be bought low $50s (discounted) with a supercharged V6, with 8 speed trans, and all the tech you could possibly want.

535i is going to hit the $60K+ mark for essentially the same perforamance and tech. Audi is quickly becoming my personal darling. I like the brand's tilt towards handling and performance first with luxury serving the sport aspect of the cars.
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 13,587
    I just ran it, and my laptop through the wireless came up as 18.5/10.5. That is with Comcast cable coming in. So seems more than fast enough for doing this!

our TV has built in wireless, and streaming netflix though it is just like watching real TV to me.

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (when daughter lets me see it), 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again), and new Jetta SE (son's first new car on his own dime!)