Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Stories from the Sales Frontlines

Comments

• explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,447
    Did you remember to see if the chicken is done yet? ;)
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,447
    edited May 2013
    My next door neighbor is selling his car, so I made sure I checked out the cars of the people looking at it.
    Locally, the other day through craigslist, a guy met someone to sell his tablet.
    They just walked up to his car shot him and took it. :sick:
  • abacomikeabacomike South FloridaPosts: 3,121
    They just walked up to his car shot him and took it.

Each and every year, even day-by-day, elements (people) in our society truly believe they can take whatever they want from people who have what they want. Like it's "their right" to equal the playing field - take from those who have and give to those who don't have. This is echoed by the government in a different strategy - redistribute the wealth in this country - take from those who have so we can give to those who don't.

There is a parallel here - if you philosophically dig deep enough. It's a philosophy and ideology that, for the most part, was never propagated on this country in recent history. The philosophy used to be that if you want something, you work hard, save, and you can buy what you want. Now, either "take" or wait for the government to give.

This is my opinion - at least it has been for the last 10 or so years.

2014 Mercedes Benz CLS 550 - best car ever! 2nd best car ever, my 1967 Corvette Stingray Coupe with 435 hp.

• fezofezo Posts: 9,195
    Mike - when I was going through chemo and into the transplant they gave me a morphine pump. To tell you the truth pain wasn't my main issue but once in a while I ended up taking a shot of the morphine kind of for recreational purposes. I was bored out of my skull and scared stiff at the same time.
    Mike - when I was going through chemo and into the transplant they gave me a morphine pump. To tell you the truth pain wasn't my main issue but once in a while...

I have never used drugs recreationally - mainly because most of them I'm either allergic to or get constipated from them big time. They will probably give me morphine IV for an hour or so after surgery, but I will be driven home 3 or 4 hours later and will have only morphine tablets.

After watching some videos on shoulder orthroscopy, I have a better idea how much pain I will be in.

If anyone is interested in what I will be going through, use this link and my surgeon has several videos.

www.meliortho.com

2014 Mercedes Benz CLS 550 - best car ever! 2nd best car ever, my 1967 Corvette Stingray Coupe with 435 hp.

• driver100driver100 Burlington, ON 7 mo/Tampa FL 5 moPosts: 11,327
    They just walked up to his car shot him and took it.

Some people are saying if you take someone on a test drive then don't take your wallet or credit cards...take a photocopy of your license.

However, someone coming up and shooting you to take something is hard to protect against.

I think Mike is right....people steal kids running shoes or leather jackets, this is the age of entitlement....get it however you can.

I think this is something to think about though, if you are selling a car privately take proper precautions. You could be in a precarious situation.

2012 535ix 2013 Audi A4 2013 Passat

• mako1amako1a VirginiaPosts: 1,596
    Around here the worst thing would be checking under the car and your concealed carry piece falls out of the holster and gets a scratch on it.

An armed society is a polite society.

2013 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500 LT HD, 2001 GMC Yukon Denali

• 28firefighter28firefighter Posts: 572
    Thanks, Mike.

Best of luck to you for a speedy recovery as well! Also, congrats on the new Benz!

Seattle has had some great weather this week, but unfortunately I have been stuck in the office for going on 60 hours with both weekend days ahead of me. I escaped tonight for dinner with my wife. We sat outside on Alki beach. It was a wonderful break from reality.
  • 28firefighter28firefighter Posts: 572
    I live about a half hour from Isell and Fin, I believe.
  • driver100driver100 Burlington, ON 7 mo/Tampa FL 5 moPosts: 11,327
    edited May 2013
    An armed society is a polite society.

Oscar Pistorius's girlfriend may have a different opinion!

I am not advocating one way or the other, but, there must be a better way, and, I think, it is somewhere in the middle.

2012 535ix 2013 Audi A4 2013 Passat

• kyfdx@Edmundskyfdx@Edmunds Posts: 25,881
    Let's just say that the chances of using your own firearm to actually defend yourself or your family from harm is infinitesimally small, compared to the chances that the same firearm will be used to harm you or your family.. (either by a family member or someone else)..

I fully support constitutional rights, but most households would be safer without a firearm on the premises... maybe, they should just buy the warning signs, like we put out for home security... We don't have a security system, but the burglars think we do... ;)

Moderator - Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• graphicguygraphicguy SW OhioPosts: 6,893
    Kirstie....funny, my son came into town last night from his job at Ohio State. He's as much as a car enthusiast as I am. He said the new trend at the University is to put plain steel rims (the rustier the better) on BMWs, Acuras, etc. He said the students who are living on trust funds get bored and have started this trend. I guess local junk yards can't keep them in stock.

Go figure.

Mike, when I had my heart attack a couple of years ago, they had me on morphine, too. Like Fezo, while I don't remember much pain after the initial dose (the heart attack itself hurt like a mother), I do remember being paranoid, but not really caring one way or the other. Weird drug. Can't understand how someone would want to be addicted to it. It does a number on you if you're in pain, though.

Driver....maybe I shouldn't think this way. But, what if the guy who disappeared showing his truck to pontential buyers did so on purpose? Maybe he had it planeed out in advance? Actually, I hope that's the case and not what could be (kidnapped or murdered). If someone wanted a truck, just take it. Why go through the trouble of doing something much more sinister?
  • houdini1houdini1 Kansas City areaPosts: 5,771
    I fully support constitutional rights, but most households would be safer without a firearm on the premises.

In 2010 there were 606 deaths in the U.S. from accidental shootings, while estimates of people who successfully defended themselves range from a low of around 370,000 to a high of 2.5 million.

These stats are from "The Law Center To Prevent Gun Violence".

2013 LX 570 2010 LS 460

Lies, damned lies and statistics?

Any suicides included in that figure? What about intentional shootings?

From the CDC:

In 2009, suicide deaths by firearm: 19,392

That's just one category of firearm deaths that I cherry-picked...

I wouldn't classify suicide as an accidental shooting. Lots of ways to do yourself in. One of the few things that the gov. can't control. Maybe you could get Al Gore to start a campaign on the danger to humanity of bridges and tall buildings. :)

2013 LX 570 2010 LS 460

I agree.. suicide is not accidental..

But, I never meant to assert that the danger of a gun in the home was only accidental death (and, I don't think I did).. I just think having a gun in the home actually makes you less safe..

32,000 gun deaths per year in the U.S.
    Driving a car is safer than owning a gun.. (And.... Back on topic!). ;)

• sandman_6472sandman_6472 Coral Springs, FLPosts: 2,576
    Please folks, leave your political thoughts at the door. The one great thing about this forum is that we don't touch on sensitive subjects like religion and politics, so please, let's keep it that way. I'd hate to have to leave this forum due to people spouting their "opinions" on these subjects. let's keep things light...please!

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2014 Hyundai Tuscon SE/2005 Mazda 3s/2008 Hyundai Accent GLS/2009 Nissan Versa SL hatch

• sandman_6472sandman_6472 Coral Springs, FLPosts: 2,576
    I thank G-d for the morphine sulfate that I am taking as it lets me live basically. The two side effects you mention I've dealt with for awhile now but they are things that I just live with...the benefits far outweigh these minor irritations. Of all the meds that we tried, this one just works so I can function and just get on with things...our situations are a bit different as after a few weeks or so, your pain will go away. Mine is constant and is always there, in the background...the meds help me deal with it in a productive way.

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2014 Hyundai Tuscon SE/2005 Mazda 3s/2008 Hyundai Accent GLS/2009 Nissan Versa SL hatch

Well, at least sandy understands that guns are a political issue, not a safety issue. A good civil discussion and my last post on this topic.

My stats show only about 8,000 gun related deaths in 2011. Of these, 99% were with already illegal guns, and mostly committed by very bad guys.

Let's enforce the laws we already have, instead of taking guns from the good guys. Just saying.

2013 LX 570 2010 LS 460

I thank G-d for the morphine sulfate that I am taking as it lets me live basically.

Sandy, those drugs have other effects as well. They can make you nauseous, dizzy, and since you do a lot of driving, they can be dangerous. If you are involved in an accident and they do a blood test on you, it could cause some serious legal problems for you as well. Narcotics can be detected in your blood for a month after you last took them.

Just be careful with those drugs.